Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
My shop is 75ft from my house and I want to get internet over there.  I have looked into wireless but am torn on it so I wondered about a physical connection instead.

I have looked at burial rated Cat5E such as the Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro but have been reading a lot about needing surge protection and grounding along with lightning and static issues which I don't know a lot about.

I have a Cisco SG250-26P switch that has 2 SFP ports on it so am thinking about running OM3 armored fiber over to the shop instead but am a fiber newbie.  It looks like I can buy pre-terminated cables with LC connectors and then get a fiber converter for the shop.

Do I need to worry about the same lightning and grounding issues as with the Cat5E?

Does anyone have any leads on good quality but reasonably priced OM3 armored cable with LC connectors?  What about a pulling tool for pre-terminated cable?

Am I biting off more than I can chew?  I would be putting either in conduit when buried.

Update:

It is all done now except for some cleanup work.  I wound up putting in a 6000 watt 240V heater to keep it warm enough in the shop.

It went really well and the fiber pulled easily.  Drilling all of the holes for the LB's and doing the trenching itself was way worse.  I have to patch the wall yet in the shop and clean up the cabling yet but I am happy so far.

I think I may get some flexible conduit to run the cables in for the shop so that I don't accidentally snag them some day.

In the house -

In the shop -
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
75ft is not very far. A single wireless router in a window of the house facing the outbuilding will probably cover it all, and not then just put an extender in the outbuilding. It wouldn't make any sense to do anything more difficult than that.

But if you had to have a wired connection... The maximum effective length of Cat5e is about 100m, so that will easily reach 75ft. No need to waste money on fiber, since it's main Benicia is a longer run. Burial Cat5e is cheap and effective.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I am really hoping to get a gigabit connection out there and put my secondary NAS out there for backups is why I was thinking about going wired instead of wireless.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you just buy two repeaters? Plug one in outside of your house then plug another one in outside of your shop might be the easiest way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand the concern.  

whatever is cheapest.

The media for this solution seems to not be relevant at all.

The fact that you named cable by brand name raises question in its own regard.

Buy a box of whatever BS Cat5e/Cat6 you can find.  Riser rated is cheap toss it in the ground and not worry about it for the next 20 years.

If you're really that concerned get literally any direct burial rated Cat5e.  

Jacking around with fiber is stupid it serves no purpose in this case.   Though if you want I would measure your run, then  have a fiber bundle made to order.

ETA: see your plan to backup to NAS... still arguing against wireless for some reason.
You can get gigabit+ speeds from wireless even at 75'
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I do have 2 Ubiquiti Nanostations inbound to try out but they are limited to 150Mbps and from what I can find even with the power turned down all the way they may be too close to work properly.

I will find out when they arrive but the more I think about it the more I'd like to run a physical connection if possible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am really hoping to get a gigabit connection out there and put my secondary NAS out there for backups is why I was thinking about going wired instead of wireless.
View Quote
New wireless bridges can do about 800mbps I think, which is pretty cool. Still, for heavy data usage it isn't as reliable as cable. As I mentioned above, I'd just do Cat5e that is burial rated  (check eBay) if it has to be wired. It might be worth trying the wireless extended first just to see how reliable it is (depends on interference).
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Do the premade fibre.  No ground issues between the two buildings, no corrosion underground, no worries about water getting into it.
I'd cheap non armored stuff in a conduit (pvc) between the two buildings.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am probably over thinking it but there are discussions all over the internet like this about all of the issues with running Cat5E from building to building.

I really don't want to fry my $400 Cisco switch if spending a couple hundred dollars on running fiber instead will prevent it.

The reason I mentioned Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro is because I can get it for $135/1000ft shipped which seems to be about the cheapest out there and it is burial rated from a name brand.  If there is better out there for cheaper I am all ears as I am not a Ubiquiti fanboy as these Nanostations will be the first of their products that I will own.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do the premade fibre.  No ground issues between the two buildings, no corrosion underground, no worries about water getting into it.
I'd cheap non armored stuff in a conduit (pvc) between the two buildings.
View Quote
Could I trouble you to find me a link for a sample of what cable you'd run?  I have found this but the fact that it comes from China gives me pause.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I would do fiber. I've seen situations where they ran copper between buildings that led to really weird ground leakage issues. Worst case you could actually get a shock from touching one of the switches. Switches were dying every few weeks until I grounded all of them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Would this be a good option?  It is armored and a little more expensive than the eBay cable but ships from CA.  I will be burying it in conduit but figure the armor couldn't hurt for the 15ft run in the house and the 5ft run in the shop.

It also appears that I would need this transceiver according to this
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're putting a cable in the ground, use fiber. Ubiquiti has plenty of wifi solutions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do have 2 Ubiquiti Nanostations inbound to try out but they are limited to 150Mbps and from what I can find even with the power turned down all the way they may be too close to work properly.

I will find out when they arrive but the more I think about it the more I'd like to run a physical connection if possible.
View Quote
Physical conx is definitely the best -when you can.

Outdoors, a short distance, bury plastic PVC pipe or conduit and put anything you have laying around in it.

I run 2 Ubiquiti Rocket M5's between an office and a bedroom, with the power mostly up.

25 feet...

Run some of their Rocket 5AC Prisms about 20 some miles as well...

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
We ran fiber between the barn and the container for about a total equipment cost of $50 for the fiber to cat adapters and $30 for a 300 foot length of dual fiber.

I ran it on the ground from the Fall to Spring, in snow and rain and nobuddy chomped it!

See eBay for everything you could possibly want and need....

Here's a link, discussion is abt 1/2 way in. I did it to drastically lower the chance of a lightening strike on one bldg. or the other propagating damage.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/666943_Creating-havoc-at-the-BOL--Bears--and-Fiber-optic-networking.html&page=6&anc=11808980#i11808980

eBay has TONS of great fiber already made up and dirt cheap if you look.

The barn<>shipping container [that we live in here] link has been running for years, no issue. Fiber is in cheap plastic conduit, I think I used 1 1/2" for almost 300 feet, but a 75 foot run, I'd still go with a large diameter ---for the future....

Folks- don't OVERTHINK this...

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help all!

I read thru your thready Expy and it was very helpful!  Did you happen to get your conduit at Hone Depot?

Do you think 8" deep would be deep enough to bury the conduit or should I go deeper?  I plan on going with the 1-1/2" conduit just to be safe and will run a coupe of extra runs of the twisted mason line thru the conduit as well just in case I want to run more later.

Would you trust cable shipped from China or should I grab the stuff from CA?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help all!

I read thru your thready Expy and it was very helpful!  Did you happen to get your conduit at Hone Depot?

Do you think 8" deep would be deep enough to bury the conduit or should I go deeper?  I plan on going with the 1-1/2" conduit just to be safe and will run a coupe of extra runs of the twisted mason line thru the conduit as well just in case I want to run more later.

Would you trust cable shipped from China or should I grab the stuff from CA?
View Quote
1/ Conduit is fine from any place.

2/ 8" is deep enuf if you aren't running machinery over it... In that case, slip a piece of metal conduit over the PVC conduit where the equipment will pass.

3/ Always plan ahead...

4/ If you're talking abt fiber, look for 'surplus' stuff on eBay. First, know the type of connector you are going to use. Wiki has a nice discussion on fiber connectors.

Also, buy your Media Fiber Adapter on ebay, don't pay stupid prices. My 100 meg ones are now abt $20 w/ PS.

If you wind up buying cable from China, plan on ~ 2 weeks min and the stuff should be fine. I buy tech stuff from China all the time off eBay w/ only rare issues.

I use this type... A pair for abt $25 shipped from CA free...  W/ PS.

Just plug- 1Pair 10/100M light RJ45 Ethernet to Fiber Optic Media Converter Singlemode 25KM ---into eBay search.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds good.  I plan on using LC-LC connectors since the SFP transceivers for my Cisco switch that I will be using are easy to find in that configuration.  I found a standalone converter for the shop for $25 in that configuration as well.

I will debate the cable from China option as it really isn't that much more to get it from the US after looking.  I wouldn't mind doing ends myself but it seems that can get rather expensive for the tools since I only need a couple of them at most.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds good.  I plan on using LC-LC connectors since the SFP transceivers for my Cisco switch that I will be using are easy to find in that configuration.  I found a standalone converter for the shop for $25 in that configuration as well.

I will debate the cable from China option as it really isn't that much more to get it from the US after looking.  I wouldn't mind doing ends myself but it seems that can get rather expensive for the tools since I only need a couple of them at most.
View Quote
I bought the tools shopping carefully, but never needed them...  For short distances, I think most any clear epoxy would work and polishing might not be critical.

I think I used SC or ST connectors. I'm in the shipping container looking at the adapter and the fiber is orange and the conx are rectangular.

I LOVE these things.

A friend saw my system and when he built another BIG garage this year ---he put fiber in, he wanted 1 gig but has no need for it...  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a TRIPP LITE N320-46M 46M DUPLEX FIBER MMF LC/LC

46 meters!

Perfect, for $40 or best offer.  I'd offer $30.

When I installed, was lucky to find 300' or so cables for only abt $25 each so I bought plenty of spares.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I am actually looking forward to this project and appreciate all of your help!

Now to do some shopping
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything is easy except the ditch.

Did you see the mouse I used to pull the string?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I am not looking forward to the ditch

I saw the mouse....that took some serious thinking...I liked it
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Out of curiosity can I mix switches as long as they both have SFP ports?

I don't really need another Cisco switch for the shop at $250+ for the one like mine but with only 10 ports.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't really need another Cisco switch for the shop at $250+ for the one like mine but with only 10 ports.
View Quote
I've got various brands of switches through our rather complex network that has multiple bridges over many miles.

It's sort of like our solar system...

Why not pick up a 8 or 16 port D-Link sw for $30 on eBay... I use a bunch and mod them for 12vdc op.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]
That sounds promising.  It appears that there are a few nice TP-Link switches out there that compare to the Cisco for about half the money.  They are compatible with the Cisco SFP transceivers too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't see your picture before Expy...holy shit that is quite the setup

I want POE for a camera and access point is why I was thinking a bit more expensive of a switch.

I am looking at this one as it has a ton of features for a great price.  Ideally I'd get the Cisco SG250-10P since I have the SG250-26P but I really don't need to spend $260 on a switch for the shop

I am going to see how the Nanostation works before proceeding with the fiber install but I don't have high hopes.  It will take me a bit to do the fiber install since I am trying to actually not spend money right now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I didn't see your picture before Expy...holy shit that is quite the setup

I want POE for a camera and access point is why I was thinking a bit more expensive of a switch.

I am looking at this one as it has a ton of features for a great price.  Ideally I'd get the Cisco SG250-10P since I have the SG250-26P but I really don't need to spend $260 on a switch for the shop

I am going to see how the Nanostation works before proceeding with the fiber install but I don't have high hopes.  It will take me a bit to do the fiber install since I am trying to actually not spend money right now.
View Quote
I run -let's see, almost 10 PTZ Axis cams on my LAN [that has several long distance bridges -many miles- and one short range one, and 2 long range backup bridges that are held in standby to avoid circular lockup, Spanning-Tree]

I don't use switches for POE, but AXIS stand alone ones -new or used.  Some of the POEs I mod for external fused 12vdc.

I use mostly D-Link switches and don't spend more than abt $30 new or used on ebay. I've got probably 5 D-Link 16 port switches and various 8 and 4 ports all nicely blinking here and there, in the system.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
In that picture, right below the IP controlled 8 AC outlet control [cameras, lights, outdoor lights, fan, etc.] is a low end 4 or 8 port switch that splits the network for a camera, the controlled outlet, and a Control By Web temp sensor with 3 relay control, voltage monitor, and something else.

There's no need IMHO to spend $$$ to accomplish complex things.

As far as the Nano, if you put them in a window on each end, or outside so they are line of sight, then you will have a great conx.  I've done it visiting friends between their houses and the Stealth Camper. Using the Rocket M2 and M5's.

I'd definitely chose the 5.8 ghz models to avoid interference.

I have an issue at one place that I can't easily run a cable between my desk and my SO's PC and my laptop, and using the wireless router, it just gets jammed too often.

So I put a Rocket M5 on each end of a 20 foot or so path, and blast the signal.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah I just like playing with switches and things (I am a programmer by day) and like them to be multi-use so a switch with POE/LACP/etc. is interesting to me.  I have 2 business level NAS's as well just because I like to tinker and I am in charge of that kind of stuff at work too as of late.

I just grabbed one of these from the warehouse for $91 shipped as they have 20% off on some of the switches today.  It is a beast of a switch for that money so now I will grab a couple of short OM3 cables and transceivers to play with before spending the money on the long (40m actually after measuring) cables that I need.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah I just like playing with switches and things (I am a programmer by day) and like them to be multi-use so a switch with POE/LACP/etc. is interesting to me.  I have 2 business level NAS's as well just because I like to tinker and I am in charge of that kind of stuff at work too as of late.

I just grabbed one of these from the warehouse for $91 shipped as they have 20% off on some of the switches today.  It is a beast of a switch for that money so now I will grab a couple of short OM3 cables and transceivers to play with before spending the money on the long (40m actually after measuring) cables that I need.
View Quote
You did see the 46M for $40 free shipping, lc-lc cable I posted above --on eBay?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Generally speaking yes.  You can mix switches provided you have the proper interface types on both and the matching transceiver types, proper media, and connectors.

I have no experience with lower price switches and SFP transceivers but I would guess you'll have fewer interop problems at that end of the spectrum than I do on mine.

Try to find an HCL that lists the transceiver brand and model as compatible with your switches.  I suspect with just a little care you'll be fine.

It's just another media type carrying basic layer 2 protocols (and whatever else you might push around the wire).  I agree with the posters saying "don't overthink it".

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Direct burial cat5e or cat6 is what I'd go with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You did see the 46M for $40 free shipping, lc-lc cable I posted above --on eBay?
View Quote
I did but I really want armored if I can just because I am paranoid and want the added protection if I can for a reasonable price.

It looks like  you can custom order single armored fiber from this place and they ship free.  It is $41 for a 40m armored cable which isn't bad at all imo.

I am going to grab 4 of these transceivers as well as a couple of short cables to test with before ordering the long ones so that I can play with the LAG's and make sure everything works.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Direct burial cat5e or cat6 is what I'd go with.
View Quote
I was going to do that too until l started reading about it and found out about all of the grounding issues as well as static electricity and lightning concerns.  Fiber seems to be a much safer idea since I don't want to fry anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Op, I've had very good luck with the Ethernet over power line inverters. I believe they make some up to 800Mbps. If your barn if fed as a sub panel off your house it will work well. If your house and barn go to the same transformer it will be about half the speed but should still work.
If not I'd go with the CAT6 with a shield. I bought 1000' of it 10 years ago for $300. That was tray rated and not burial but it should be much cheaper now.

Edit: run it in burried conduit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Op, I've had very good luck with the Ethernet over power line inverters. I believe they make some up to 800Mbps. If your barn if fed as a sub panel off your house it will work well. If your house and barn go to the same transformer it will be about half the speed but should still work.
If not I'd go with the CAT6 with a shield. I bought 1000' of it 10 years ago for $300. That was tray rated and not burial but it should be much cheaper now.

View Quote
CAT6 with a shield between buildings vs. a lightning strike...

lol...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#37]
18" to top of conduit is good rule of thumb to comply with Code.
Don't use "twisted mason line", use rated pull string, and DON'T put more than one run in a conduit. You'll only make that mistake once in your life.
IE.Pull string
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would do fiber. I've seen situations where they ran copper between buildings that led to really weird ground leakage issues. Worst case you could actually get a shock from touching one of the switches. Switches were dying every few weeks until I grounded all of them.
View Quote
802.x ethernet over unshielded twisted pair has galvanic isolation transformers at both ends, and has forever at all metallic rates (10mbps -> 1Gbps).    there is no ground leakage current.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
i run gigE via UTP in buried PVC conduit to two different buildings, one with about 100' in the ground, and the other with about 75' in the ground.
this post comes to you over one of those links.  over either span i can back up to my NAS at 950mbps no problem.

run the conduit, squirt some lubricant in, pull Cat5e, terminate and seal the NM pipe as best you can.  now then, EVERY underground conduit is going to fill with water over time.
i don't care if you use NASA grade solvent cement and a NIST-calibrated Leica surface roughness measurement system on the fittings: the conduit is going to fill with water.
the air in the underground conduit is cooler than the ambient air outside, and slowly but surely moisture will condensate out of the air in the conduit.  it's just physics.
ask any electrician.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If not I'd go with the CAT6 with a shield.
View Quote
no. no. no.

no.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was going to do that too until l started reading about it and found out about all of the grounding issues as well as static electricity and lightning concerns.  Fiber seems to be a much safer idea since I don't want to fry anything.
View Quote
let me tell you about the problems we see on long fiber spans (hundreds of miles) and lightning...

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiber+lightning+PMD

in all seriousness, for the modest distances like you have, running metallic ethernet in underground conduit isn't going to cause you any problems.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

lol...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...
While you are correct I wouldn't overkill it.  It's going to find a way to get it and the shield isn't for lightning protection.  It will most likely come thru through you phone line, power line, other Ethernet in the house or shop anyways.

Also op, make sure to pull spare whatever you are pulling so that in the even of something happening to one line the other may still work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
no. no. no.

no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If not I'd go with the CAT6 with a shield.
no. no. no.

no.
Why no shield?  Everything we run in refineries and power plants is sheilded. By no means do you want to hook said shield up on both ends...  I'm not want the shield to be used for electrical protection but do noise.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
18" to top of conduit is good rule of thumb to comply with Code.
Don't use "twisted mason line", use rated pull string, and DON'T put more than one run in a conduit. You'll only make that mistake once in your life.
IE.Pull string
View Quote
Can you expand on this a bit?  I will grab the proper fishing line (thanks for the link!) but am curious why putting 3 runs in a 1-1/2" conduit is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
802.x ethernet over unshielded twisted pair has galvanic isolation transformers at both ends, and has forever at all metallic rates (10mbps -> 1Gbps).    there is no ground leakage current.  

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi
And no switch manufacturer has ever skipped that as a cost-saving measure. All I know is I've seen (and felt) it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Save tier self trouble get a good Wireless router and a repeater.  Or if the shop is on the same electrical use EOP ethernet over power line.

Besides unless you have a fiber pulled to your home, why would you want that bandwidth house to shop?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Save tier self trouble get a good Wireless router and a repeater.  Or if the shop is on the same electrical use EOP ethernet over power line.

Besides unless you have a fiber pulled to your home, why would you want that bandwidth house to shop?
View Quote
I have tried the wireless route and my Nanostation solution is less than reliable for some reason and I find WiFi to be a PITA in general.

I will have fiber at home in a few months but mainly I want to put my secondary NAS out there for offsite backups.  Since there is 10TB of data on it as well as the camera system I'd like to have a reliable connection.

I am still thinking about using Cat5e but fiber is still winning even though it seems it may be more of a pain than I had hoped for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#48]
If you go with the wireless look at the Air Fiber X from Ubiquity. You will be in the 2K range to get the speeds you want. The fiber will give you better long term options. I would also look at single mode fiber vs OM3, better options long term. 

Manufacturer of fiber can be important. Look at Corning or CommScope quality is important and will affect how stable the connection is. 

Look at optics from Curvature. Good price for the gear. 1G LX for $65
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I appreciate the info.

Yeah I really don't want to spend $2K just to avoid digging a trench  for the fiber.

I will look at single mode as well but I already bought 2 multi mode transceivers so don't know about changing at this point as I thought multi mode would be better for my distance and speed requirement.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Home depot rents a mini ditch witch that will make that trench easy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top