Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I actually contacted an acquaintance of mine at the local telephone company and he says that they will put in the "pipe" between the 2 buildings (single piece off of a spool) and run it into the buildings for ~$200.  He also said that they could run the fiber itself for me for a nominal fee.

I am going to have him get me an exact price and go from there as it sounded like they would be burying it much deeper than I was thinking.  They are going to be putting fiber internet into my area within the next year too so this would let them put it where they want it so that when the time comes to bury the fiber run for the internet I didn't put anything in the way.

I am hoping I will be all-in at about $400 to have everything installed so that I can just plug the cables into my switches and rock on.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you expand on this a bit?  I will grab the proper fishing line (thanks for the link!) but am curious why putting 3 runs in a 1-1/2" conduit is a bad idea?
View Quote
It isn't in a length of 75 feet...

You can always pull out the original Cat5 or fiber and re-pull them again w/ something else if necessary.

Trivial...

Also, minimize the number of 'circuits' [in the context here] to minimize $$$ at risk  ---from lightning.

If someone thinks 75' between buildings subject to lightning strikes is no risk, well that's silly.  Been there done that.

OP is on the right track planning to run an inexpensive fiber link.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And no switch manufacturer has ever skipped that as a cost-saving measure. All I know is I've seen (and felt) it.
View Quote
if you want to save costs on the isolation transformers in an ethernet application, you use ceramic capacitors as DC blocks.  
either way, there is no metallic end-to-end connection.  
the downside of using ceramic caps is that they won't stand off 2.5KV as the isolation transformers will.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

if you want to save costs on the isolation transformers in an ethernet application, you use ceramic capacitors as DC blocks.  
the downside of using ceramic caps is that they won't stand off 2.5KV as the isolation transformers will.

ar-jedi
View Quote
Those isolation transformers are extremely plentiful in discarded modems, switches, etc.

I wonder what other uses could be made of them... Low power RF balun maybe?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I actually contacted an acquaintance of mine at the local telephone company and he says that they will put in the "pipe" between the 2 buildings (single piece off of a spool) and run it into the buildings for ~$200.  He also said that they could run the fiber itself for me for a nominal fee.

I am going to have him get me an exact price and go from there as it sounded like they would be burying it much deeper than I was thinking.  They are going to be putting fiber internet into my area within the next year too so this would let them put it where they want it so that when the time comes to bury the fiber run for the internet I didn't put anything in the way.

I am hoping I will be all-in at about $400 to have everything installed so that I can just plug the cables into my switches and rock on.  We'll see.
View Quote
Speaking of armored fiber, the ~340 foot lengths I bought on eBay [for about $35 or so each] were plain ordinary 'cheap' stuff [I think] and -initially, to get the link going and to get away from the Ubiquity bridge link] I left the whole length, except where it entered the shipping container on one end and the 'barn' on the other...

----From the Fall to late Spring, exposed to rain, sun, and snow ---and animals and it was fine until I ran it in the 1 1/4" conduit about May.

I included a pull string, however pulling fiber in a nice sized conduit is simple. I think I could pull another pair without removing the first one.  If not-- removing the first and then pulling a second pair along with the first pair again, would probably not take more than 30 minutes after getting the vacuum out, the mousey made up and undoing the routing of one of the ends and then rerouting and dressing the 2 pairs.

You're talking 75 feet so I can't see any reason to spend extra for armored cable, unless it is about the same as unarmored that you can find the best price on.

As far as a pull string, I used [and use for other conduit work] cheap Mason's line. On longer runs you have to be careful because nylon line will easily cut into PVC conduit or pipe.

I didn't need lubricant and recommend not using any.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Speaking of armored fiber, the ~340 foot lengths I bought on eBay [for about $35 or so each] were plain ordinary 'cheap' stuff [I think] and -initially, to get the link going and to get away from the Ubiquity link] I left the whole length, except where it entered the shipping container on one end and the 'barn' on the other...

From the Fall to late Spring, exposed to rain, sun, and snow ---and animals and it was fine until I ran it in the 1 1/4" conduit.

I included a pull string, however pulling fiber in a nice sized conduit is simple. I think I could pull and other pair without removing the first.  If not pulling the first and then pulling a second pair along with the first pair again, would probably not take more than 30 minutes after getting the vacuum out, the mousey made up and undoing the routing of one of the ends and then rerouting and dressing the 2 pairs.

You're talking 75 feet so I can't see any reason to spend extra for armored cable, unless it is about the same as unarmored that you can find the best price on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of armored fiber, the ~340 foot lengths I bought on eBay [for about $35 or so each] were plain ordinary 'cheap' stuff [I think] and -initially, to get the link going and to get away from the Ubiquity link] I left the whole length, except where it entered the shipping container on one end and the 'barn' on the other...

From the Fall to late Spring, exposed to rain, sun, and snow ---and animals and it was fine until I ran it in the 1 1/4" conduit.

I included a pull string, however pulling fiber in a nice sized conduit is simple. I think I could pull and other pair without removing the first.  If not pulling the first and then pulling a second pair along with the first pair again, would probably not take more than 30 minutes after getting the vacuum out, the mousey made up and undoing the routing of one of the ends and then rerouting and dressing the 2 pairs.

That's good to know that it is tough.

What I found was about $10 more than the comparable unarmored 40m cable.  We'll see what the quote is as if they just want to use plain cable I will let them most likely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's good to know that it is tough.

What I found was about $10 more than the comparable unarmored 40m cable.  We'll see what the quote is as if they just want to use plain cable I will let them most likely.
View Quote
We were careful not to step on the fiber that was on the gravel around the container.  My SO may have tho  

Where I could, I laid it in the bushes off the ground to reduce the odds of the 'squeekies' -my nemeses, from chewing it...  None did over the ~ 6 months... We have a bazillion of them, and I blasted one last evening -it limped away into the bushes as I was out of shells in the FN tactical S-G...

I can see you getting away with this initially...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Redacted
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And no switch manufacturer has ever skipped that as a cost-saving measure. All I know is I've seen (and felt) it.

ar-jedi
Guess I imagined those service calls then
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Been looking at fiber for cheap 10g connectivity between a server and my workstation And my network.

http://www.fs.com/

Is the place to get low cost but great fiber and tranceivers. Contact then, they will help with design and selection.

It might be a good idea to run a bundle for redundancy.

You can get sfp  and sfp+ switches cheaply to integrate fiber into the rest of your network.

I would get sfp+ which supports 10g.

Example: https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM

Fiber store can tell you what tranceivers to get to support specific switches or NICs on either side of the fiber. They can even flash the tranceivers to optimize compatibility.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to go 10GBe but my pockets aren't deep enough for teh SFP+ transceivers plus the switches with POE+ included that I would need to use them.

1GBe is fast enough for my needs.

I did buy 2 9U wall mount racks for $63ea shipped today and have the switches configured.  Now I am just waiting on my transceivers and the test fiber patch cables to make sure the fiber uplink LAG's work correctly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
We mainly use the RJ45 10gbit stuff at work. Cat5E is good for 30 meters I think. Cat6A when you can. 10gbit RJ45 adapters aren't expensive. You can always run a line between a server and desktop if its just one or two that need it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah my only real want for 10GB would be for a NAS but mine don't support it so 2 1GB ports in a LAG will just have to work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I finally got it done...mostly.  Update in OP.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Great job! It looks nice and clean. Great job on cable management too! 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks

I am finalizing the cable management in the shop right now.  I have everything done inside the cabinet and think I will go with (1/2" Dia. x 100 ft, Orange) HydroMaxx Flexible Polyethylene Corrugated (PE) Split Tubing (Wire Loom) to protect the fiber.  I figure run it into the LB and up into the rack.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks

I am finalizing the cable management in the shop right now.  I have everything done inside the cabinet and think I will go with (1/2" Dia. x 100 ft, Orange) HydroMaxx Flexible Polyethylene Corrugated (PE) Split Tubing (Wire Loom) to protect the fiber.  I figure run it into the LB and up into the rack.  Thoughts?
View Quote
I used 1/4 or 3/8 inch black split protector on mine in the shipping container for abt 4'  in the wall area where I brought it from the ceiling corner bundle of wires down behind shelves to where the network components are located over my computer table.

I was careful to relieve stresses on the fiber where it came out of the protector for the couple inches to the media converter, using cable ties.

Converter is 10" at 8 o'clock from the Kleenex box.

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info!

I wound up getting the 1/2" and will see what I think of it on Friday.

Right now I am backing up a bunch of media to external drives (1TB).  Later on tonight the rsync backup should kick off to move it over the fiber to the NAS in the shop.

I am down to 5TB on my NAS now after the latest round
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Forgot the pix...

Is the picture function not working???

Not showing...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Forgot the pix...

Is the picture function not working???

Not showing...
View Quote
Its there. I can see it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its there. I can see it.
View Quote
Thank goodness!!! I thought Photobucket killed my pix too!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know it there is a ---simple--- way to run a land line phone extension over a short fiber???

I said simple--- Sure it can be done using complex VOIP modems etc...

Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does anyone know it there is a ---simple--- way to run a land line phone extension over a short fiber???

I said simple--- Sure it can be done using complex VOIP modems etc...

View Quote
Yep!

It can be done...

Also pulled two more pairs of fiber, today, in the underground conduit, in my link above.

The inside was dry, and that surprised me...

Testing running Ethernet and phone on only ONE fiber and it works well! At least at 50Mb/sec.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its there. I can see it.
View Quote
Can you still see them in my link, after I paid the Photo-Thieves ~$400
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you still see them in my link, after I paid the Photo-Thieves ~$400
View Quote
Yup, its still there. $400!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yup, its still there. $400!!!
View Quote
I know...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top