Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2020 9:41:00 AM EDT
Found this over on BCUSA this morning, only link I know of right now.  Maybe someone in OH has another one:

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/dave-canterbury-house-fire.278594/

Supposedly from Dave and his wife:

"Iris & Dave Canterbury House Fire appeal. Iris and Dave Canterbury just lost everything to a house fire. I hope Iris doesn't mind me borrowing her words - Not any morning pictures I ever wanted to post. This was our house at 4:30 this morning. The fire started outside our bedroom window. I woke up to a crackling sound, and there was orange outside our window. I ran to the kitchen and opened the door, and the side of our house was engulfed in flames. I called 911, Rocko was in bed with us, so I grabbed him, yelled for PupPup, ran downstairs to get Papa and Jameson while Dave was spraying the house with the water hose. In a matter of about two minutes, you couldn't see anything in the house. Dave was frantic looking for PupPup until he couldn't breathe in the house any longer. It took two hours and two trips for the fire to be completely put out. The fireman found PupPup and buried him in the backyard as soon as they found him. We've lost everything. Pictures, VHS videos of my kids when they were little, all of Dave's books that can never be replaced, guns, computers, every vintage Morakniv that Dave had. We literally ran out of the house with the clothes on our backs. Everything we've built and worked for is gone. But the worst of all is PupPup. I can honestly tell you that I've never seen Dave as devastated and crying as much as this morning when he couldn't get to our puppy. I'm just numb. I just can't even believe Bk[/URL]
Regards
David"

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that the guy that always goes barefoot?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]
No idea who that is
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that the guy that always goes barefoot?
View Quote

No that was the big hippie Cody Lundin.

Link:

https://thetelegramnews.com/Content/Local-News/Local-News/Article/Fire-destroys-house-on-Tick-Ridge-Road-early-Friday-morning/6/83/35836
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#4]
House fires suck. I just finished the demolition and started the rebuild process. We removed all the roof trusses, except the garage. So four walls and a garage standing. The process really tests a relationship, too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
Is that the guy that always goes barefoot?
View Quote

I think it’s the guy they fired for lying about his military service

ETA: beat
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#7]
For whatever reason, his channel started popping up on YouTube.......reviewing a Rokon

House fires are horrible.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AZ_newguy:
House fires suck. I just finished the demolition and started the rebuild process. We removed all the roof trusses, except the garage. So four walls and a garage standing. The process really tests a relationship, too.
View Quote

Sucks if you do it yourself
I’d be in a hotel waiting for my new house to be built.

I understand you will get a superior outcome DIY
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#9]
That really sucks but he’s been a big prepper for decades... I’m thinking he has a LOT of resources to mitigate the loss.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
My biggest fear about a house fire isn't losing all my shit, it's losing my dog.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sucks if you do it yourself
I'd be in a hotel waiting for my new house to be built.

I understand you will get a superior outcome DIY
View Quote
Caution: Thread Drift
GF and I did all the demolition. Tile floor off of concrete slab was fun. The hard part is forming a consensus on the new floor plan, which included cutting the slab and moving plumbing drains. Framing crew will be here in two weeks for installing roof trusses, sheathing, and moving exterior door and window openings. Try explaining why you can't put a 16' sliding window wall in an 8' tall wall that would make economic sense to someone who doesn't get how much tile roofs weigh.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn, that's really rough. Glad he made it
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad they survived.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Found this over on BCUSA this morning, only link I know of right now.  Maybe someone in OH has another one:

"Iris & Dave Canterbury House Fire appeal. Iris and Dave Canterbury just lost everything to a house fire. I hope Iris doesn't mind me borrowing her words - Not any morning pictures I ever wanted to post. This was our house at 4:30 this morning. The fire started outside our bedroom window. I woke up to a crackling sound, and there was orange outside our window. I ran to the kitchen and opened the door, and the side of our house was engulfed in flames. I called 911, Rocko was in bed with us, so I grabbed him, yelled for PupPup, ran downstairs to get Papa and Jameson while Dave was spraying the house with the water hose. In a matter of about two minutes, you couldn't see anything in the house. Dave was frantic looking for PupPup until he couldn't breathe in the house any longer. It took two hours and two trips for the fire to be completely put out. The fireman found PupPup and buried him in the backyard as soon as they found him. We've lost everything. Pictures, VHS videos of my kids when they were little, all of Dave's books that can never be replaced, guns, computers, every vintage Morakniv that Dave had. We literally ran out of the house with the clothes on our backs. Everything we've built and worked for is gone. But the worst of all is PupPup. I can honestly tell you that I've never seen Dave as devastated and crying as much as this morning when he couldn't get to our puppy. I'm just numb. I just can't even believe Bk[/URL]
Regards
David"

View Quote
Is that Dave the embellisher?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Springer09:
Damn, that's really rough. Glad he made it
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Dave is like me telling you guys I was Force Recon.

Burn baby burn.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Grandparents house was struck by lightning,  burned about 1/3 of house. Almost everything else destroyed by smoke and water. Fortunately no loss of life. Guess the coolest thing lost was home made movies my Pilot uncle made in Vietnam.  He strapped camera in cockpit.  8mm bombing runs....lost
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#18]
That sucks.

I guess 'public figures' deal with things in different waysthan normal folks. I can't imagine heading off to Facebook to post 6 hours after a fire destroyed my house.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a total loss house fire a few years ago. It sucks bad but I can’t say enough good things about State Farm handled our claim.  Most all things are replaceable but a few are not and those hurt
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By devildog3062:
Is that Dave the embellisher?
View Quote

Unlike most other stolen valor shitbags I thjnk Dave Canterbury owned up to it and was actually sincere about his apology for making claims that weren’t true.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:
Glad they survived.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Caution: Thread Drift
GF and I did all the demolition. Tile floor off of concrete slab was fun. The hard part is forming a consensus on the new floor plan, which included cutting the slab and moving plumbing drains. Framing crew will be here in two weeks for installing roof trusses, sheathing, and moving exterior door and window openings. Try explaining why you can't put a 16' sliding window wall in an 8' tall wall that would make economic sense to someone who doesn't get how much tile roofs weigh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:

Sucks if you do it yourself 
I'd be in a hotel waiting for my new house to be built. 

I understand you will get a superior outcome DIY 
Caution: Thread Drift
GF and I did all the demolition. Tile floor off of concrete slab was fun. The hard part is forming a consensus on the new floor plan, which included cutting the slab and moving plumbing drains. Framing crew will be here in two weeks for installing roof trusses, sheathing, and moving exterior door and window openings. Try explaining why you can't put a 16' sliding window wall in an 8' tall wall that would make economic sense to someone who doesn't get how much tile roofs weigh.

Wish I had skills.
Bravo, sir
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
That sucks. 

I guess 'public figures' deal with things in different waysthan normal folks. I can't imagine heading off to Facebook to post 6 hours after a fire destroyed my house. 

View Quote

I lost my house and all of it's contents during Harvey.
All we had left was our car, phones, our dogs, and the clothes on our back.
It took a while to make arrangements for somewhere to stay, and for people to get back to you.
I can see a few hours of nothing to do, especially if it happens when everything is closed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#24]
He has a YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No, that's the other guy who got fired for exaggerating his military service.

edit
that sounds awfully harsh he seems like a nice guy, glad he and his wife are okay
View Quote
I ran into him at Lax he's was personable and very nice guy

And he was barefoot at the time.walking through the airport
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Canterbury or Cody?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran into him at Lax he's was personable and very nice guy

And he was barefoot at the time.walking through the airport
Canterbury or Cody?

Had to be Lundin.  Canterbury isn't that damn stupid.

'Course, it's not as stupid as walking around socks only and shorts in a Montana winter storm with 3' of snow and temps below zero.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
dual survival was best when he and cody were on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:
dual survival was best when he and cody were on it.
View Quote

Don’t even remember this guy.  Only remember Joe Teti,  and a mix between Cody and Matt
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#31]
How does a fire start outside your house?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Canterbury or Cody?
View Quote
The hippie guy
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]
or arson.  Does he have any enemies?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Greyswandir:

Unlike most other stolen valor shitbags I thjnk Dave Canterbury owned up to it and was actually sincere about his apology for making claims that weren’t true.
View Quote

Yeah, Dave is an okay guy.  What's funny is that Joe Teti guy that replaced him lied about what he did in the military as well.  

They sure knew how to pick em.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
That really sucks. I used to watch his youtube channel and bought some cool survival stuff from his pathfinder website.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I didn't know Teti got caught also. I'm not surprised that guys lie, I'm surprised they got burned twice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Dave is an okay guy.  What's funny is that Joe Teti guy that replaced him lied about what he did in the military as well.  

They sure knew how to pick em.
I didn't know Teti got caught also. I'm not surprised that guys lie, I'm surprised they got burned twice

Yea, the first time was sorta understandable.  Sorta.

The 2nd time:   to the 10th power.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I am glad they are ok. I like his YouTube stuff
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#42]
RIP PupPup ...
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I enjoyed Dual Survivor. Dave and Cody made that show.  When Dave left and the other guy came in it just wasn't the same.  
 Glad Dave and his wife are safe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Parents had a house fire in 01.  It started under the front porch and only burned a few feet into the front of the house before CFD was on scene.  Not much fire damage but everything was totaled by the smoke and water.

Ever had to inventory a house?  Well, it SUCKS.  The only way state farm will reimburse is if you have a list with pricing.  So my brothers and I and some volunteers inventoried a hoarder's house.  Every shirt, knife, plate, book, table, chair, etc.

That list was compiled, split up and we all went price shopping.  Some could be done online, some had to be done in the stores.  It SUCKED.

House was gutted and rebuilt.  They were out over a year because the builder dragged his ass.  In fact, he dragged his ass so bad that state farm said, "We're not paying for the apartment any longer.  Your builder should have been done a lone time ago"  So the builder had to start covering the rent.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Regards
David"

View Quote

BCUSA nuked the thread. LOL
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David"

I'm actually surprised it lasted as long as it did.  The owners despise DC and other stolen valor types.  Dave used to be on there years and years ago, tried to apologize for the lying, but the owners kicked his ass off mea pronto.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#48]
DAMN--I never realized he lives two roads over from my Aunt Norma!!  Small world and sad--wouldn't wish a house fire on ALMOST anyone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like BCUSA is killing threads on this subject as fast as they get created:  https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/dave-canterbury-house-fire.278726/

Here's a video from Dave:

And they deleted that thread already.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#50]
He always was good at getting a fire started.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top