Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:59:41 PM EDT
What is out there that offers some relief feels like I'm trying to breathe poison over-the-counter stuff is about worthless
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Nasacort.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I go to the Doc every fall and get a steroid type allergy shot that helps a lot.  Not sure the name of the shot though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Flonase.

And see an allergist and get on allergy shots. 5 year commitment but worth it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Get allergy shots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is out there that offers some relief feels like I'm trying to breathe poison over-the-counter stuff is about  worthless
View Quote

Try immunotherapy.  Ragweed sublingual is available now (no shots).  It works, drug free.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nasacort.
View Quote
This.    Has changed my life for past 3-4 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I go to the Doc every fall and get a steroid type allergy shot that helps a lot.  Not sure the name of the shot though.
View Quote
Decadron
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Been eating Advil Cold and Sinus for the past few days.  Annual affair around Labor Day since it coincides with National Ragweed Day
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I never had anything for allergies until about 5 - 7 years ago been getting worse every year. Few years back thought I was going to the ER after doing some work  in a pollinating corn field

The last week has been freakin miserable
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never had anything for allergies until about 5 - 7 years ago been getting worse every year. Few years back thought I was going to the ER after doing some work  in a pollinating corn field

The last week has been freakin miserable
View Quote
Allergies are weird.  Some people outgrow them, some people don't get them to adulthood, some have them their whole.  Doctor's don't understand why.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My mom was born in your state.  Ragweed allergy almost killed her.

She moved to a drier climate.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I need a 2nd home in the Rockies that's for sure
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is out there that offers some relief feels like I'm trying to breathe poison over-the-counter stuff is about worthless
View Quote

I do a Claritin D every day to keep my sinuses going. The good stuff from behind the counter. Have to show a driver's license. I started allergy shots in March. It does *SEEM* less aggravating this season. Ragweed is one of my worst allergies, but look out towards the horizon. Everything you see that is green or was green at some point? I'm allergic to it. I might as well be a bubble boy...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
tagged for interest as ragweed hates me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I moved to AZ and the ragweed here is TOP FIVE WORST in the United States!!!!!!  

I want to clear my nasal cavity with an ice pick!!!! 

I've taken everything and done several multi-year rounds of immunotherapy... after 1-3 years whatever I'm taking at that time stops working. Oddly, the granddaddy of them all: Benedryl, is the only thing that takes the edge off and I have to take the maximum strength ones, two of them, and they only last for 6 hours and make me groggy as hell.

Xyzal is a joke, btw.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Flonase has been a godsend for me. Do it!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Aller-Flo-Fluticasone-Propionate-Glucorticoid/dp/B01H40O42I

I do one squirt per nostril after I get out of the shower every morning.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged for interest as well. I have never had allergies in my life until about 2 years ago. Working on the farm getting ready for dear season here in late August is a killer for me.

Also, OP's avatar is perfectly ironic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Flonase.

View Quote
This. I just finished 5 years of allergy shots. Not cured, but quality of life is so much better. 2 puffs of Flonase and a Zyrtec daily and it's like I never had allergies. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I get kenalog...lasts about a month for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Generic Zyrtec in the morning and Zyzal before bed, saved my life after moving to Texas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've taken everything and done several multi-year rounds of immunotherapy... after 1-3 years whatever I'm taking at that time stops working. Oddly, the granddaddy of them all: Benedryl, is the only thing that takes the edge off and I have to take the maximum strength ones, two of them, and they only last for 6 hours and make me groggy as hell.

Xyzal is a joke, btw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xyzal is a joke, btw.
That happened because people who moved to places like AZ from the midwest wanted to have lawns.

They moved to CA, AZ, NV, etc. bringing ragweed and other undesirable exotic plants with them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I also use a NielMed sinus rinse when needed. It feels so good for a while. But it won't work if you're already stopped up. There has to be some air flow...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I did a type of immunotherapy where I had to give myself a shot in each arm, three times a week for a year. After the year was over, I was cured (according to my doc it has about an 85% "cure" rate). When I did the "bank" for the grass and weed pollens like in the other poster's pic they didn't even wait the full 15 minutes to record the reactions as they had grown to the point of merging after 5 minutes. So they said I was a great candidate for the treatment.

I had done the old school shots at a couple different times in my life and they helped but it just made me less miserable. So while helpful, if you're gonna go for taking shots, you might as well do the above mention one.

Finally, before I did the immunotherapy, I found that doing rotations of Claratin D and Zyrtec (if I did one too long, it would lose its effectiveness) while treating the active symptoms with Tylenol sinus.

As a previous sufferer of the ragweed scourge of fall, I feel for you. It felt like I had the flu for six straight weeks or so every fall, so I get it. Best of luck beating it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This. I just finished 5 years of allergy shots. Not cured, but quality of life is so much better. 2 puffs of Flonase and a Zyrtec daily and it's like I never had allergies. 
View Quote
+1 for shots.  I'm on year three and my quality of life is much better in the arm pit of Ceder Tree Texas.  On top of that I rotate between alegra and zyrtec. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Claritin and Flonase.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Short answer: it depends.

If you are willing to accept that the nasal steroids ( Rhinocort, Nasacort, Flonase, Flonase Sensimist, etc) take about 3 days to start working and about 2 weeks to reach maximum effectiveness, then they are about the best you can buy over the counter. Most people don't use them correctly-follow the instructions.

Rx-Astelin or Patanase (both generic now) are inhaled antihistamines that work fast and, in my experience, work very well.

As far as OTC oral antihistamines, use whatever works best (Allegra, Zyrtec, Xyzal, Claritin, etc. Just make sure you take it at night. Why? Because pollen counts are typically highest in the morning and you want your histamine receptors blocked before you step foot outside.

If you are really miserable, 9 mg or so of Celestone will get you over the hump until the nasal steroids kick in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the suggestion guess I need to talk to my Dr
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Been suffering all my life, just started with Flonase per my doctor.

When my sinuses cleared this morning, I literally couldn't remember the last time both nostrils were open. Wonderful result so far.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Short term, get generic shelf brand antihistamine pills, and take a lot of them.

Doc didn't "recommend" it to me, but knowing my horrible allergy driven sinus infections mentioned an interesting seminar he went to discussing severe allergies being relieved with taking higher than recommended doses, sometimes 3-4x the recommendation, but he said he would personally if trying would start at 1.5 and work up.

My doc was fucking awesome. Wish he would have never moved. Lot of walk in, get tossed a sample pack for stuff, never get a bill.

Also, not sure it would matter, but my allergies got a SHITLOAD better after I ceased eating wheat, after I started getting allergy reactions to wheat a few years ago. Might be worth a shot stopping eating wheat for a week or two and see if it's filling up your bodies capacity to fight allergens?  I noticed a huge difference after 2 weeks, and stopped getting chronic sinus infections.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flonase.

This

Expensive and a long commitment but has been life changing for me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Flonase.

View Quote
Flonase has been working pretty damn good for me. I have severe allergies all year due to our exceptional year round weather. I take two shots in each side in the AM and PM. It's rare that I ever need a Claritin D but maybe 1-2 times a month.

Edit... If you take Claritin D which is the good stuff behind the counter, I find the 12hr works much better than the 24. If you have a Costco, that's the best place for either but don't buy the store brand Claritin, it doesn't have the same quantity and that will screw you on your state limit per month.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#33]
It is really bad atm. I was sneezing a bit tonight myself. I only get affected when things are starting to go off the rails allergy-wise so the people more susceptible to it must be going through heck right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Have you tried loratadine? I buy the generic stuff from walmart and it knocks my allergies down to about 10% of what they are without it. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:16:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Life longer sufferer here. Had the surgery at age 20, now 31. First the surgery was life changing, polyps removed and sinuses widened, maybe something else. Still feel good. I did the shots for a year but quit them as I felt good with just the operation.

I only take something when needed ordinarily I take nothing daily.

If I wake up stuffed up or lay down to sleep and get stuffy I use Arfrin with the red cap nasal spray. It can be bad for you if used more than 4 or 5 days. Thing is it works within 5 minutes and lasts 12 hours. Great for when you are going to bed or want to go back to sleep.

I will use Afrin for a day or two and usually my allergy attacks will pass.

If it doesn't pass I start taking Allegra with the decongestant also I then start Flonase or the Wal-Mart generic. It takes a few days for it to work and it works good. I don't take it all the time because it costs a lot and doesn't last long.

TL DR.

Use Afrin with the red cap to get uncongested immediately, safe yourself from a sinus infection by clearing it up. DO NOT use this past 4 or 5 days. Take a decongestant sudafed for a few days. While doing this also start on Flonase(takes awhile to work)

Get to know your nose and you can spare the misery.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:20:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Fitting avatar
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Cromolyn works for me. Flonase didn't do anything, benedryl just made me feel terrible. DHEA helped. NAC really helped (something about ROS levels controlling T regulatory cells)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Xyzal is a joke, btw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xyzal is a joke, btw.
Ex HVAC guy here and fellow hater of life during allergy season. Get yourself a real air filtration system. I don't mean box store consumer junk products that are a waste of your time and money. I mean a real industrial quality true HEPA filter.

Sleeping in a bedroom thats a low allergen environment, thanks to tidyness and aggressive filtering, has changed my life. It's supposed to be installed in duct work or mounted in an attic or basement. As an ex professional, I ignored proper installation instructions. I've simply got the bubble wrap insulated version of this unit sitting in a closet pointed out into my bedroom. I set it up to run on a timer while I am at work.

You might want to have it properly installed if you have kids/cats/dogs that might stick something important into a plastic squirrel cage fan

http://www.fantech.net/products/residential-fresh-air-systems/whole-house-hepa-filtration/hepa-filtration/hepa/cm-3000-hepa-fltration-unit/

I'd also have a 4" or 5" filter installed in your furnace / AC system. The improved filtering makes a difference on the dust front of the great household alergin war.

@Mr_Maim

Disclaimer: Neither myself nor any of my friends work for fantech or anyone who makes 4" and 5" furnace filters. I just know what works for me
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestion guess I need to talk to my Dr
View Quote
You may also want to consider the air quality in your home... see my other post.

@Iowaredneck
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#40]
my next home will be one I have built, and will include massive amounts of air quality equipment / filtering in the hvac system.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Flonase has been a godsend for me. Do it!
View Quote
This, nothing has worked as well as Flonase and I've tried it all in the past. OTC and Wallyworld even has it in genaric form which is even cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#42]
A saltwater nose douche in the shower every night helps me more than anything. After somebody got me started on that, I no longer take any allergy medications. Try it for a few days to see if it will work for you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I do a Claritin D every day to keep my sinuses going. The good stuff from behind the counter. Have to show a driver's license. I started allergy shots in March. It does *SEEM* less aggravating this season. Ragweed is one of my worst allergies, but look out towards the horizon. Everything you see that is green or was green at some point? I'm allergic to it. I might as well be a bubble boy...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88343/allergy1-288698.JPG
View Quote
I can beat that, I went into anaphylaxis just from the skin test. It was fun when the doctor and all the nurses came running in to shoot me up with epinephrine.

Anyway, I've been getting shots for about 5 years now and it was rough at first, and this past year was rough at the day of injection due to an increased concentration of the serum, but I'm doing so much better. I used to pop Zyrtec-D like Pez just to breathe normally. Seriously, as in one in the morning and one in the evening EVERY DAY. I've taken maybe a dozen decongestants in the past couple years. Qnasl is an amazing spray but my insurance stopped covering it so now I use Flonase daily to augment the immune therapy. I'm not the same person that I was when I started the immunotherapy that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Mine always get bad mid August and I have been messing with drozy pills that only half as work for years. I finally went to a nasal spray last year and finally get relief with passing out as soon as I take it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Claritin and Flonase.
View Quote
I take a Claritin everyday...it  it helps if I keep it my system continuously this time of year....I will stop shortly after first freeze
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I did the steroid shot during ragweed season for years, works great but only last a few weeks.
Doc told me the steroid shots lower your immune system and had me try Flonase. You have to start the Flonase a month. It works pretty good.  
Generic allegra OTC  works well also.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't have anything really going on in my head little sneezing that's it it's all in my throat and chest feels like someone is standing on my throat and burns all the way down into my lungs like I said feels like I'm breathing poison
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#48]
They gave me two epi pens and a trainer when I started my shots. The catridges "talk" to you if you pop the cover. It gives directions on use. I guess if I'm a flippin' and a floppin' on the floor, somebody else would at least get a clue on what to do with the cartridge... I've been in the woods this morning. I'm off to rinse my sinuses with a Neilmed sinus rinse.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Kennelog is the steroid that you seek. In Colorado I get one shot in the fall and a day later I'm a new person. Without it I'm on over-the-counter mess and feel like a zombie all day . No side effects with the shot ! In true Arfcom fashion" get both" and have the meds as a backup ??
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Zyrtec makes me incredibly drowsy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top