Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/3/2009 10:34:05 AM EDT
If your wife was raped and was impregnated by the rapist, would you want her to take a "morning after pill"?

If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?

If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?

If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own?

What would you do in each of these scenarios?
These are some hypothetical scenarios my wife and I were discussing a few days ago while on a long drive. Just curious what other guys think and feel about the situation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I may get flack for this, but rape is the one instance when I support abortion.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah..and, my opinion would probably become mute at that point...I can't imagine what a woman goes through in that scenario, and my opinion, as her husband, wouldn't mean shit at that point.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If you all disagree on any of those scenarios I'd table the discussion unless you need to actually make that decision.  No reason to argue over something that would hopefully never happen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Rape is one instance where I wouldn't outlaw abortion if it were up to me.

On a personal level, I would not agree with punishing the child for the actions of the animal that sired him.  I would accept the child as my own if it came to that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's not the kid's fault that the biological dad's a piece of shit.  If my wife asked me to make the call, we'd keep the baby.  But God help the BG if we ever catch up with him when he gets out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
"Dear Lord,

Please don't make me decide whether or not to claim a rapist's child as my own, but do give me strength if required to do so.

Amen."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If your wife was raped and was impregnated by the rapist, would you want her to take a "morning after pill"?

If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?

If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?

If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own?

These are some hypothetical scenarios my wife and I were discussing a few days ago while on a long drive. Just curious what other guys think and feel about the situation.

Up to her.  I'd support her either way while probably recommending it at this point.

I'd strongly recommend against aborting, but she'd get the last decision.

If she kept it, it would be ours.

If we kept it, it would be ours.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If your wife was raped and was impregnated by the rapist, would you want her to take a "morning after pill"?  no, never ever, and neither would she

If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?   no, never

If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?   no

If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own?   yes and no, this is complicated.  I wouldn't hide who their father is from them, but I would expect to be called dad.

I could think of more fun and/or interesting topics to cover while on a long drive.  That said its not the child's fault.  I also think things happen for a reason, including if she actually ended up pregnant.  The emotional damage and impact from such an event would be catastrophic, plus add in the hormones and emotions from a pregnancy and you have a situation that cannot be covered with a few flippant 'yes' and 'no' answers.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, yes, N/A, No
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Not the fault of the child...shouldn't kill it for something it didn't do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I am usually a very calm and level headed person but I would be in jail for kiling the rapist so my wife would be on her own for that decision.

ETA: I would support abortion in this case
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#14]
when people ask me about if im for against abortion, i answer im for states rights....

if you want to have abortion, and you live in an area who agrees with you, make it legal in your state, if not, outlaw it in YOUR STATE.

I am personaly against the thought of having my wife murder my child.

in this situation, its not my child, and it would be my wifes decision, she would be the one to live with the guilt.

if she decides to bring it to term and SHE decides to keep it, i would try to lend my support as an adoptive father as best as possible.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I've met only a handful of people who are more ardently and outspokenly pro-life than I am.  

One of those people is my wife.

We would raise the child.

ETA: I'm not saying that it would be easy, just that it's what I'm convinced is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know what I'd want her to do, but it would really be up to her.

This.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
when people ask me about if im for against abortion, i answer im for states rights....

if you want to have abortion, and you live in an area who agrees with you, make it legal in your state, if not, outlaw it in YOUR STATE.

in this situation, its not my child, and it would be my wifes decision, she would be the one to live with the guilt.

if she decides to bring it to term and SHE decides to keep it, i would try to lend my support as an adoptive father as best as possible.

This exactly, although I have no personal problem against abortion and would be fine with aborting a fetus with severe dissability/retardation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
genetic traits that will show up later from the rapists seed.

think about that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]

isn't it kinda hypocritical to be against abortion except for rape?

I mean, I've heard the pro-life logic on abortion, once the egg & sperm meet the resulting cells have their own unique DNA, life starts at that moment, it has a soul, fetuses of 6 weeks old have a heartbeat and can feel pain...

how does any of that change depending on how the sperm got there (consensual vs forced)? If the life is so precious, then the sins of one of the parents shouldn't allow for its murder.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#20]
we talked about this at one point  - we decided that since the baby did nothing wrong there was no grounds to kill him / her
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes to the morning after pill.
No abortion, adoption would be the choice even though it would be a tough situation I'm sure.
I don't really know if I could embrace the child as my own. Maybe.. I mean I love kids - have 3 of my own. They're innocent and should not pay for the crimes of their "parent", but I don't know that I wouldn't be haunted by the rape of my wife every time I looked into that child's eyes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I keep reading that rape and incest only account for something like 1% of abortions (if even that high).  So the premise of this topic doesn't even register on the scale of statistical significance when it comes to why people have abortions.  In other words, the premise is an outlier.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Exactly this.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Best to not say what I think.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I just have to say, this is a really FUCKED UP subject and refuse to even entertain this subject!!!

If you are asking for 'personal' reasons, then I offer my condolences but will not offer an opinion; THOSE questions should only be answered by those going through that particular hell. Perhaps with the help of CLOSE family or Clergy...

Some things are too personal to ask even on an 'anonymous' web site and should be treated as such.....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
My first wife was "raped" and impregnated. I say "raped" because I'm not convinced now that it was truly a case of rape, at least not the way I think of it. Anyway, that's another story. The "rapist" was also of another race, which didn't matter much to me but sure as heck did with some of the other folks we had to deal with. Abortion was never an option, regardless of the circumstances of the pregnancy. That was 12 years ago. We named him Joshua, the name we had already picked out for our son if we ever had one. Because he is my son now. We love each other dearly and we do almost everything together. I simply cannot imagine a life without him in it. He is my youngest child and will be my last. Thank God for 'ol Josh, my best lil'  buddy!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep.  All of the above.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

isn't it kinda hypocritical to be against abortion except for rape?

I mean, I've heard the pro-life logic on abortion, once the egg & sperm meet the resulting cells have their own unique DNA, life starts at that moment, it has a soul, fetuses of 6 weeks old have a heartbeat and can feel pain...

how does any of that change depending on how the sperm got there (consensual vs forced)? If the life is so precious, then the sins of one of the parents shouldn't allow for its murder.

It's in recognition of the fact that although abortion for the sake of abortion is wrong, no woman should be forced to carry a baby that she had no consent in forming, especially since pregnancy and childbirth can be a dangerous, life-altering event.

It's the same reason many persons who support the rape exception () also support exceptions for incest, too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Not gonna happen in my case, but in theory....
It would be her choice ultimately, but my advice to her would have been to take a morning after pill immediately, whether or not we were sure she was pregnant.  I don't consider the morning after pill to be abortion.
If for some reason she did not take one, I would be for her getting an abortion until after the first trimester.  At that point, the end of the first trimester, the fetus has electrical activity in the brain and I couldn't in good conscience support aborting it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#33]
So what if the father (rapist) is caught does he have any right later on to the child? I am sure he would..
Would that sway anyones decision on keeping or aborting the pregnancy?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
If the rape ended in a fertilized egg, the morning after pill IS abortion.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#35]
The decision is pretty much 100% up to the woman.  She was the one who was raped.  Shes the one who would have to carry the constant reminder of the worst moment of her life.  Anyone who would insist on their wife carrying a rape baby to term is someone I can't even begin to understand on any level.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No, it isn't.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Great topic.  I'll bring it up at dinner this evening.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't be raising the DNA of a man who used my wife like an object for his own urges.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]
The morning after pill is not abortion, it does exactly the same thing as regular birth control pills.

Yes, I’d want her to take the morning after pill.
It would be nearly impossible for a pregnancy to develop after that, but no, I would definitely not want her to get an abortion and there is no way she would get one.
We would have to talk and pray a lot about whether to keep the baby, but I’m leaning against adoption.
Yes, if WE decided to keep the child, WE would raise the child as our own.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it isn't.

Why isn't it?  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The morning after pill is not abortion, it does exactly the same thing as regular birth control pills.

It would be nearly impossible for a pregnancy to develop after that, but no, I would definitely not want her to get an abortion and there is no way she would get one.

We would have to talk and pray a lot about whether to keep the baby, but I’m leaning against adoption.

Regular birth control pills can cause the uterine lining to become inhospitable to the fertilized egg.  This is abortion.

The hormones also thin the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Standard hospitalization after rape includes a prescription grade "Plan B." Just about everyone takes it.

I think the child of rape would be a constant reminder of that traumatic event.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#43]
The . would get vacuumed out without hesitation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Regular birth control pills can cause the uterine lining to become inhospitable to the fertilized egg.  This is abortion.  

Those murderers are almost as despicable as the abstinence crowd. Killing babies before they've even had a chance to try to exist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Standard hospitalization after rape includes a prescription grade "Plan B." Just about everyone takes it.

I think the child of rape would be a constant reminder of that traumatic event.

Not to mention the kid is 1/2 rapist.  That DNA needs to be exterminated.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#46]
well, since I would be in prison for life because of what I did when, not if, I caught the rapist, I would say it would be up to my wife.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#47]
If my wife were raped I'd field abort the baby myself if I had to.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep reading that rape and incest only account for something like 1% of abortions (if even that high).  So the premise of this topic doesn't even register on the scale of statistical significance when it comes to why people have abortions.  In other words, the premise is an outlier.

If I can find the study when I get home, I'll post it (I've posted it in a thread here before).  I think the numbers are closer to .01%

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just have to say, this is a really FUCKED UP subject and refuse to even entertain this subject!!!

If you are asking for 'personal' reasons, then I offer my condolences but will not offer an opinion; THOSE questions should only be answered by those going through that particular hell. Perhaps with the help of CLOSE family or Clergy...

Some things are too personal to ask even on an 'anonymous' web site and should be treated as such.....

My thoughts exactly.

If you are going through this, my apologies; if you are just asking to make conversation....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah..and, my opinion would probably become mute at that point...I can't imagine what a woman goes through in that scenario, and my opinion, as her husband, wouldn't mean shit at that point.

So you wouldn't say anything more about it?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top