Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would either be dead, or in jail for a very long time if someone raped my wife.  I think abortion is wrong, except when it comes to rape.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be her decision, I would have hunting to do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If your wife was raped and was impregnated by the rapist, would you want her to take a "morning after pill"?NO

If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?NO

If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?NO

If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own? Absolutly

What would you do in each of these scenarios?In every one of those scenarios, it's not the baby's fault. Termination only hurts the baby.

I have friends who are here because of rape, accidents, bad choices, etc. I don't wish them dead and I'm glad thier mother had the courage to let them live.
These are some hypothetical scenarios my wife and I were discussing a few days ago while on a long drive. Just curious what other guys think and feel about the situation.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may get flack for this, but rape is the one instance when I support abortion.

I keep reading that rape and incest only account for something like 1% of abortions (if even that high).  So the premise of this topic doesn't even register on the scale of statistical significance when it comes to why people have abortions.  In other words, the premise is an outlier.

I am going to question that number as many women never report a rape in the first place, so getting an abortion because of one won't be cited.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
isn't it kinda hypocritical to be against abortion except for rape?

I mean, I've heard the pro-life logic on abortion, once the egg & sperm meet the resulting cells have their own unique DNA, life starts at that moment, it has a soul, fetuses of 6 weeks old have a heartbeat and can feel pain...

how does any of that change depending on how the sperm got there (consensual vs forced)? If the life is so precious, then the sins of one of the parents shouldn't allow for its murder.

I agree. Life begins at conception. That is the ONLY issue at stake in the Pro-life/pro-choice debate.

Im not married, but I hope I marry a woman that would not murder her child because of the circumstances under which he was conceived.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Never really understood why someone would take the position that abortion should only be legal in cases of rape or incest.

Either it is a human life, or it is not.

If it is not, then a woman should be allowed to do whatever she pleases, for whatever reasons she wishes. Law should hold no sway over what a human being does with THEIR OWN body.

If it is a human life, then the emotional stress caused by rape should not be an excuse for murder. You can’t have it both ways, folks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Agreed 100%.

Rape is bad enough, don't make the woman go through 9 months of carrying part of her rapist inside her.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep reading that rape and incest only account for something like 1% of abortions (if even that high).  So the premise of this topic doesn't even register on the scale of statistical significance when it comes to why people have abortions.  In other words, the premise is an outlier.

I am going to question that as many women never report a rape in the first place, so getting an abortion because of one won't be cited.

...and then again almost every police officer I've spoken to has also said that 9 out of 10 reported "rapes" turn out to be false reports.

Some may be unreported rapes, but some rapes are false reports.  Sort of comes out a wash in the end as far as the statistic I mentioned, doesn't it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The morning after pill is not abortion, it does exactly the same thing as regular birth control pills.

Yes, I’d want her to take the morning after pill.
It would be nearly impossible for a pregnancy to develop after that, but no, I would definitely not want her to get an abortion and there is no way she would get one.
We would have to talk and pray a lot about whether to keep the baby, but I’m leaning against adoption.
Yes, if WE decided to keep the child, WE would raise the child as our own.

Regular birth control pills can cause the uterine lining to become inhospitable to the fertilized egg.  This is abortion.  

Those murderers are almost as despicable as the abstinence crowd. Killing babies before they've even had a chance to try to exist.

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Abort and send the fetus to the rapists mother in a box.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, this is a very sensitive question.  

Personally I think abortion is killing.  My wife would be the one to make the decision though.  

A child is a child regardless of their parent. I would raise any child that God blesses me with .Trust me when I say I am not a bleeding heart in any way ,shape or form.
My focus would be on finding the soon to be in the back of my truck on his way up to a shallow grave, right before he swallows his own manhood...anyway!!!

Although I could very easily see how someone would accept abortion in a case like this and I would never pass judgement on them for that.

Lets hope no one has to face such a horrible situation.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I support abortion.

While I do believe it is "wrong" for people to willingly conceive a child and then kill it, I see nothing wrong with killing the unborn offspring of a rapist.

Also I generally dont care if other people choose to abort their children, my only real concern would be my own children.

I could never feel right raising someone else's child under those circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Abortion? I'd kill her for dishonoring my family...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If your wife was raped and was impregnated by the rapist, would you want her to take a "morning after pill"?

If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?

If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?

If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own?

What would you do in each of these scenarios?

These are some hypothetical scenarios my wife and I were discussing a few days ago while on a long drive. Just curious what other guys think and feel about the situation.

Morning after pill.... If you are a Christian, the Bible says the life of the body is in the blood. After conception ,there is no blood in the baby for 3 or 4 days.  After that it is living. If you take the morning after pill the first 3 days, I think its alright. Thats just my opinion
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Abort and send the fetus rapists head to the rapists mother in a box.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I would definatly want her to take the morning after pill.. and a scan for STD's. The latter senerios would not exist. Although, if for some reason she was raped and did not tell me or anyone and then we realized that she was preggers, I would want to get an abortion. I would not want keep it. I would not be able to treat it like my own, nor would it help to forget about the tragic event. If someone did rape my wife I most certianly would take vengence on the perp. That is one of the reasons why it would be hard for me to condition myself to deal with being an LEO and seeing fucked up shit like rape.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your wife was raped and was impregnated by the rapist, would you want her to take a "morning after pill"?

If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?

If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?

If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own?

Morning after pill.... If you are a Christian, the Bible says the life of the body is in the blood. After conception ,there is no blood in the baby for 3 or 4 days.  After that it is living. If you take the morning after pill the first 3 days, I think its alright. Thats just my opinion

The morning after pill must be taken within 72 hours of intercourse. Although fertilization can occur as soon as fifteen minutes after intercourse, it can take up to 72 hours. This means that the morning after pill cannot abort a fetus. It can, and will prevent an egg from being released, and it might prevent a fertilized embryo from implanting.

I’m not sure where in the Bible that quote is, but we would need some context to determine what relevance that quote has. Otherwise, it is a fairly obvious statement. Yes, without blood you die. Nevertheless, it is off topic.

For the record, I’m of the opinion that human life begins no later than when the fertilized embryo implants in the uterus.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Abort and send the fetus to the rapists mother in a box.

With key pieces of its daddy...

Ahhh fuck it. If I had the address available, I'd be sore tempted to make a clean sweep of the whole fucking clan.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The morning after pill must be taken within 72 hours of intercourse. Although fertilization can occur as soon as fifteen minutes after intercourse, it can take up to 72 hours. This means that the morning after pill cannot abort a fetus. It can, and will prevent an egg from being released, and it might prevent a fertilized embryo from implanting.

I’m not sure where in the Bible that quote is, but we would need some context to determine what relevance that quote has. Otherwise, it is a fairly obvious statement. Yes, without blood you die. Nevertheless, it is off topic.

For the record, I’m of the opinion that human life begins no later than when the fertilized embryo implants in the uterus.

If it can prevent a fertilized embryo from implanting, then how is this not abortion?  Won't the unimplanted fertilized embryo die?  Will it not then be cast off with the womans normal flow?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Absolutely would not want to abort. Its murder pure and simple. We both feel very strongly about that.

Whether we would keep it or give it adoption I am not sure.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
God forbid - Adoption.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The morning after pill is not abortion, it does exactly the same thing as regular birth control pills.

It would be nearly impossible for a pregnancy to develop after that, but no, I would definitely not want her to get an abortion and there is no way she would get one.
We would have to talk and pray a lot about whether to keep the baby, but I’m leaning against adoption.

Regular birth control pills can cause the uterine lining to become inhospitable to the fertilized egg.  This is abortion.  

The hormones also thin the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

That's your opinion.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In the time required to find out if she was pregnant, it would be too late to take the morning after pill. It's designed to be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected intercourse. So, if you're gonna take the pill, do it immediately.

Quoted:If for some reason the pregnancy was not discovered until after the baby has a heartbeat, would you want her to abort?

If you're going to abort, why does it matter if there's a heartbeat present. Is an abortion more acceptable if it's performed before 6 weeks? I consider myself pro-life, but I think abortion because of rape or incest is a dramatically different situation than an elective abortion.

Quoted:If you want her to carry the baby to term, would you want her to put it up for adoption?

If she wanted to keep the child, I would too.

Quoted:If she insisted on keeping and raising the child as her own, would you embrace it as your own?

Same answer.

Quoted:What would you do in each of these scenarios?

One of my classmates was raped her freshman year in college and became pregnant. She decided to keep the baby. She got married a couple of years later to a great guy. They've raised the child as their own. As many have noted, the pregnancy is not the fault of the child.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes
No
No
Yes
without a doubt

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes,  morning after pill

Yes, I am strongly against abortion, but in the case of a rape, where a child would be a daily reminder of a violent,  filthy act,  I find it acceptable.  As long as that baby cannot feel pain before you abort it,  I think it's OK. But I would know about a pregnancy LONG before a heart beat or nerves develop. I think if you got raped,  SOP would be morning after pill.

Moot, would never get this far.  

No.  I would do my best but I STRONGLY believe in the power of genes, I would guess that kid would be a fuckup.

I am strongly against abortion,  but in case of rape, incest or harm to the mother, I think it's a viable alternative.

[/quote]

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I would back my wifes choice whatever it may be.

What happens to the rapest will be my choice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I feel the same.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That would be her decision, I would have hunting to do.

Pretty much my opinion as well...although I'd have to be faster than her daddy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hormones also thin the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

That's your opinion.

LOL.  No, not my opinion at all.  It's the consensus of a group of pro-life gynecologists and obstetricians.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes
Yes
N/A
No
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#33]
She'd want it out before I even said anything. No worries here
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your opinion.

LOL.  No, not my opinion at all.  It's the consensus of a group of pro-life gynecologists and obstetricians.    

Oh, well, okay, as long as group with a political axe to grind says it's so, it MUST be true...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#35]
No, it would be her choice.  I would love the child just the same.  I can't blame a child for his father's transgressions.  The difficult thing would be trying to decide what to tell him, when he got older, if he asked.  It would be one of those situations where the truth would likely devastate him and might even destroy what you have built and share together.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"Dear Lord,

Please don't make me decide whether or not to claim a rapist's child as my own, but do give me strength if required to do so.

Amen."

This ^^^
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your opinion.

Oh, well, okay, as long as group with a political axe to grind says it's so, it MUST be true...

I find it fascinating that a group of people who would force their beliefs on an entire nation can be such blatant hypocrites.  If there is any chance that a fertilized egg would find the uterus inhospitable due to hormonal birth control, then this method of birth control should be made illegal also, as it is abortion=murder.

But, any discussion that runs up against the convenience of hormonal birth control (and the morning after pill) is met with distain by those who claim that a fertilized egg is not a zygote, but a living child.

Researchers have repeatedly and consistently pointed out this abortifacient effect of the Pill. To date, no published studies have refuted these findings.

"Most (virtually all) literature dealing with hormonal contraception ascribes a three-fold action to these agents. 1. inhibition of ovulation, 2. inhibition of sperm transport, and 3. production of a "hostile endometrium", which presumably prevents or disrupts implantation of the developing baby if the first two mechanisms fail. The first two mechanisms are true contraception. The third proposed mechanism, IF it in fact occurs, would be abortifacient." (editor's addition) What is the precise language appearing in the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) with regard to these agents? "Ortho-Novum: ...a progestational effect on the endometrium, interfering with implantation." "Norinyl: …alterations in ...the endometrium (which reduce the likelihood of implantation)." The authors follow with a long harangue against the drug manufacturers use of the term "hostile endometrium". Perhaps they should be calling them to task, rather than the right-to-life community. They do accurately describe the findings in the endometrium of pill users proven in numerous scientific studies. They note that the findings indicate a "less vascular, less glandular, thinner lining of the uterus produced by these hormones." One of the side effects listed for BCP's is amenorrhea. This means that the endometrium is thinned out completely resulting in no menstrual flow when on the break from the hormones. They then add, perhaps disingenuously; "…not one company will offer data to validate the 'hostile endometrium' presumption."

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If the rape ended in a fertilized egg, the morning after pill IS abortion.

One of the ways that the regular pill, not just the morning after pill, works is by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus.

Is the daily birth control pill abortion in your view as well?

EDIT:  Saw your subsequent post.  Looks like the answer is yes.  Carry on.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#39]
From the perspective of a rape victim who nearly died from the assault ...

The rapist was in me. Violently. Cruelly. Painfully. He tore me. He stole my virginity. He made me undergo plastic surgery and fear every sound in the middle of the night.

The rapist was IN me. IN me. He invaded every part of me that he could and beat me with his fists when I was too small to accommodate him.

I think feeling his child in me ... kicking me, rolling around, being a daily reminder of what happened to me, would have killed ME. I know what I am and am not capable of. That? I couldn't have done it. There was no morning after pill back then for me. I was lucky ... my silver lining is that I did not get pregnant ... but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could not have carried any part of my rapist IN ME for nine months.

He was already IN me. He didn't just invade my body ... he invaded my mind, my soul, my spirit, my brain. He stole my security, my happiness, my health, and my strength. He poisoned me, broke me, and changed me.

I can't imagine having to endure what I did ... and then watch my body change as it filled out with pregnancy. I was already changed and I'm still changed. I couldn't have done it.

If admitting it makes me a killer then so be it. I died the day I was raped in every way a person can die and keep breathing. There's no way I could have sustained life in me when my own life, the one I was used to, had been yanked from me so cruelly. I was too dead myself to do it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the ways that the regular pill, not just the morning after pill, works is by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus.

Is the daily birth control pill abortion in your view as well?
Yes.  There is no way to know if the first two mechanisms have failed and you have a fertilized egg that cannot implant.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your opinion.

I find it fascinating that a group of people who would force their beliefs on an entire nation can be such blatant hypocrites.  If there is any chance that a fertilized egg would find the uterus inhospitable due to hormonal birth control, then this method of birth control should be made illegal also, as it is abortion=murder.

But, any discussion that runs up against the convenience of hormonal birth control (and the morning after pill) is met with distain by those who claim that a fertilized egg is not a zygote, but a living child.

Researchers have repeatedly and consistently pointed out this abortifacient effect of the Pill. To date, no published studies have refuted these findings.

"Most (virtually all) literature dealing with hormonal contraception ascribes a three-fold action to these agents. 1. inhibition of ovulation, 2. inhibition of sperm transport, and 3. production of a "hostile endometrium", which presumably prevents or disrupts implantation of the developing baby if the first two mechanisms fail. The first two mechanisms are true contraception. The third proposed mechanism, IF it in fact occurs, would be abortifacient." (editor's addition) What is the precise language appearing in the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) with regard to these agents? "Ortho-Novum: ...a progestational effect on the endometrium, interfering with implantation." "Norinyl: …alterations in ...the endometrium (which reduce the likelihood of implantation)." The authors follow with a long harangue against the drug manufacturers use of the term "hostile endometrium". Perhaps they should be calling them to task, rather than the right-to-life community. They do accurately describe the findings in the endometrium of pill users proven in numerous scientific studies. They note that the findings indicate a "less vascular, less glandular, thinner lining of the uterus produced by these hormones." One of the side effects listed for BCP's is amenorrhea. This means that the endometrium is thinned out completely resulting in no menstrual flow when on the break from the hormones. They then add, perhaps disingenuously; "…not one company will offer data to validate the 'hostile endometrium' presumption."

Please post your sources.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Please post your sources.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:13:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Wifes choice. I would not want to see her have an abortion. Kid didn't do anything wrong. But I don't have to carry a rapist baby to term either. I would support her if she kept it and not judge her if she didn't.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#45]
It is the woman's choice, not the gov't.

My wife and I would decide if that horrible event ever happened.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I would discuss it with my wife.  But we are of common mind that abortion is murder - and the morning after pill is simply abortion.

As for adoption, I would probably leave that up to my wife - but personally would be open to keeping the child as I have already considered adopting children.
––-
Many people feel that the normal pills that prevent implantation cause abortion (as apposed to those that only preventing fertilization).  A feeling that my wife and I share.  We have used nfp in the past - but currently are considering having another child.
––-
My personal contradiction is that while I believe in the sanctity of human life - I would probably kill a bastard who hurts my wife.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#47]
abortion.

and retroactive abortion for the rapist.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Rape is the only situation that I won't protest an abortion. That said, I'd make it clear that if that's the route she chose I'd support her. Again, adoption would be her choice, but if she kept the baby yes, I'd raise it as my own. Fatherhood is more than biology.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
isn't it kinda hypocritical to be against abortion except for rape?

I mean, I've heard the pro-life logic on abortion, once the egg & sperm meet the resulting cells have their own unique DNA, life starts at that moment, it has a soul, fetuses of 6 weeks old have a heartbeat and can feel pain...

how does any of that change depending on how the sperm got there (consensual vs forced)? If the life is so precious, then the sins of one of the parents shouldn't allow for its murder.

Depends on reasons. I consider myself pro choice more than pro life. However I am anti abortion. The issue arises when you discuss WHEN that choice is made. I believe the "choice" part of pro choice is whether or not to have sex.In a rape case, the "choice" was taken away-the woman did not choose to have sex, so she shouldn't be forced to keep the result of that sex. In the OP's scenario I'd prefer she kept the baby due to other moral beliefs, but wouldn't hold it against her if she didn't.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn't.

Yes, it is. The fertilized egg s alive, and the pill kills it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top