Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 10:12:49 AM EST
Is it normal to run a persons criminal on history on a traffic stop?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:18:27 AM EST
[#1]
Yes I always run the driver for DL and wants and warrants local criminal history comes with that as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:20:31 AM EST
[#2]
why wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:22:33 AM EST
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:26:38 AM EST
[#4]
Ok.next question is can  you see the actual disposition?  Charge and disposition?  Is NCIC used for this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:27:55 AM EST
[#5]
CHRI is a special search here, not available for traffic infractions. An arrest or investigation must be in place, with corresponding identifying case numbers, to run a check.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:29:33 AM EST
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I swipe a person DL it gives their DL status, vehicle infractions, state criminal history and a check for warrants.
View Quote

^^^^^ All of the above and if you have a concealed weapon permit (State issued or national concealed carry). Depending on State DMV, I also get your license photo for verification.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:30:04 AM EST
[#7]
We couldn't run criminal history in the car or over the radio. Only DL and warrant check.
Arrested a old guy once on a traffic misdemeanor and found out later he had served two separate prison terms for murder.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:31:09 AM EST
[#8]
We don't typically run a criminal history unless there is a specific reason to do so while on the stop.

Disposition info is largely dependent on who originally entered it, and if the dispatcher can decipher what it means.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:34:23 AM EST
[#9]
Quoted:
CHRI is a special search here, not available for traffic infractions. An arrest or investigation must be in place, with corresponding identifying case numbers, to run a check.
View Quote

This, but in this county, we can see arrest history for this county.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:35:34 AM EST
[#10]
Quoted:
We couldn't run criminal history in the car or over the radio. Only DL and warrant check.
Arrested a old guy once on a traffic misdemeanor and found out later he had served two separate prison terms for murder.
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:36:45 AM EST
[#11]

Quoted:

Ok.next question is can  you see the actual disposition?  Charge and disposition?  Is NCIC used for this?
View Quote
I've radioed in for CH before, usually in regard to some specific charge (i.e, asking dispatch for priors on Driving w/o license/insurance/etc.), w/disposition (I've only ever heard convictions, i.e "12 prior convictions for DWLI since 2008").   Dispatch usually doesn't read the whole CH out, but if they see something that could be pertinent for investigation/officer safety purposes, they'll tell us.  Usually they'll print/hold the CH for us along with the 27/29 return if there's an arrest.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:36:58 AM EST
[#12]
State specific.   For us at least Criminal History was a separate search, it had to have a specific case number and requesting Officer.  Dicking around with the computers and lookups was an easy way to get yourself jammed up.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:37:25 AM EST
[#13]
Quoted:
When I swipe a person DL it gives their DL status, vehicle infractions, state criminal history and a check for warrants.
View Quote

That seems way too after the fact.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:37:29 AM EST
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct. Same here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:27 AM EST
[#15]
OHP was able to pull up my corporate business license info/tax stuff on a stop. I was amazed at the amount of info they were able to juice into. the Trooper says " This your business" and points to the screen and sure as shit- it was.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:29 AM EST
[#16]
Criminal history, no.  I can't actually run a CH from my MDT, I can run a wants and warrants inquiry and I can check the jail booking records

Criminal Histories have to be run by our dispatchers and then logged on a dissemination log.  If we ran CH's on everyone we stopped or came into contact with, it would probably require another dispatcher to be hired for most shifts.  We save running CH's usually for things like incidents where we believe we have a felon in possession of a firearm or someone who may be getting charged with a felony offense based on prior conviction history, for example previous convictions for batteries  can result in a misdemeanor becoming a felony.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:42:25 AM EST
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

CCH is only run after an arrest or prior to court. Also what floridacop says above.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:43:14 AM EST
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:43:38 AM EST
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...drivers history is the same way.   No case number, no CHRI or drivers history.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:44:48 AM EST
[#20]
Very state specific. Depends on the investigation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:46:58 AM EST
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:52:59 AM EST
[#22]

Quoted:

State specific.   For us at least Criminal History was a separate search, it had to have a specific case number and requesting Officer.  Dicking around with the computers and lookups was an easy way to get yourself jammed up.

View Quote
Interesting.  I was minding my business in a store, cops enter, ask if crown Vic outside is mine, say that someone claimed I was showing a badge and gun, I say BS, suddenly impersonator is found in another part of town.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:53:33 AM EST
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:54:52 AM EST
[#24]
Quoted:

Not for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for me.

runcible?
Traffic stop?
I think I can hear a certain irish Lt. laughing far off in the distance right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:56:01 AM EST
[#25]
Quoted:

CCH is only run after an arrest or prior to court. Also what floridacop says above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We run CCHs only for DV related incidents.

Arrest, Restraining Orders..
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:08:54 AM EST
[#26]
Quoted:

Mine will come back: (in computer voice) Caution. Maximum warning level. Person has a total of 32 criminal charges including 25 felonies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine will come back: (in computer voice) Caution. Maximum warning level. Person has a total of 32 criminal charges including 25 felonies.

will the computer actually speak to you? or do you read it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:10:36 AM EST
[#27]
Cops came back later and claimed I was a felon in possession of firearm.  I said "uh, how do I have a carry permit?"  They seemed dumbfounded.  Btw, this time there were six units on scene.  One asked "we're you arrested for Agg battery"?  I say yes, it was a bs charge, was lowered to battery, a misdomeanor, end of story.  I say "I can pull an NCIC from FBI and GCIC from My county and see the disposition, what's you problem?"  He said they were using something (can't remember the initials). That only shows charge and conviction, not disposition.  At this point I am beginning to be intrigued as I was not stopped in traffic, was not witnessed by LE doing anything wrong, and was not identified to LE as a perpetrator of a criminal offense.  At this point I think "hmmmm, usually there must be a criminal investigation to pull this sort of history, they are merely fishing around."  

I was a medic, worked alongside cops and had ex cops for partners on the med unit.  One of them told me once that accessing criminal hx without PC was not allowed.  I think I'll ask my buddy, a lawyer, to assist with this to determine if a complaint should be filed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:15:11 AM EST
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:16:49 AM EST
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I see you are in GA, this must be a GA statewide requirement.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:18:01 AM EST
[#30]
Quoted:
Cops came back later and claimed I was a felon in possession of firearm.  I said "uh, how do I have a carry permit?"  They seemed dumbfounded.  Btw, this time there were six units on scene.  One asked "we're you arrested for Agg battery"?  I say yes, it was a bs charge, was lowered to battery, a misdomeanor, end of story.  I say "I can pull an NCIC from FBI and GCIC from My county and see the disposition, what's you problem?"  He said they were using something (can't remember the initials). That only shows charge and conviction, not disposition.  At this point I am beginning to be intrigued as I was not stopped in traffic, was not witnessed by LE doing anything wrong, and was not identified to LE as a perpetrator of a criminal offense.  At this point I think "hmmmm, usually there must be a criminal investigation to pull this sort of history, they are merely fishing around."  

I was a medic, worked alongside cops and had ex cops for partners on the med unit.  One of them told me once that accessing criminal hx without PC was not allowed.  I think I'll ask my buddy, a lawyer, to assist with this to determine if a complaint should be filed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:18:31 AM EST
[#31]
SOP is to always run every person I come in contact with for warrants.

If traffic stop, I run everyone in car for warrants, I also run driver for his DL record and status including tag and expiration of tag.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:21:09 AM EST
[#32]
And you had better log it in, with your name, a case number, and all kinds of other stuff. Several Fulton County deputies  (Ga) were caught several years ago running people for a PI. Get caught, and you had better be ready to write a big check to the State, and spend some time away from home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:26:43 AM EST
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on man, this isn't Star Trek

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:27:06 AM EST
[#34]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/In/pool2_zpsfyv6y7ak.gif
Hey look, a douchebag stole from me, I whooped his ass.  Some inexperience officer charged me incorrectly, we had it handled in court.  This should teach thieves that you can get your ass knocked out.  Nevertheless, this happened when I was 23.  Today, with grad degree in hand, various licenses, and a great career, it pisses me off to be randomly stopped and harassed.  What if I were arrested yesterday for a felony when none was committed?  Not bragging, but I make in the six figures, and if I lost my job due to some idiot using a system incorrectly, I'd be suing.  I won't say much more, they all had body cameras.  Should come in handy.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:31:17 AM EST
[#35]
Quoted:
Hey look, a douchebag stole from me, I whooped his ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I mean "in" for the follow up story after you make the complaint. I remember Maharlika74's story when he first posted it and then it got real good after he made an official complaint.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:40:10 AM EST
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He reads it aloud in his best Steven Hawkings voice.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:40:31 AM EST
[#37]
Guess I should clarify my response I get a local history not a full criminal history I have to have a reason to run a III for full history through NCIC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:47:19 AM EST
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the reason I ask, if that I have seen some laboratory instruments with a verbal warning of "Abnormality Detected"- if I could get that in a Vader voice, it would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:58:18 AM EST
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:03:33 PM EST
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:06:00 PM EST
[#41]

Quoted:

I mean "in" for the follow up story after you make the complaint. I remember Maharlika74's story when he first posted it and then it got real good after he made an official complaint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There will be a formal complaint in the morning.  I will also pay a retainer and get the lawyer involved.  They better hope no procedure was violated.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:10:13 PM EST
[#42]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I was minding my business in a store, cops enter, ask if crown Vic outside is mine, say that someone claimed I was showing a badge and gun, I say BS, suddenly impersonator is found in another part of town.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which has what to do with the question of criminal history lookups during my stop?

ETA: I saw the rest after I replied. ..the first part if what I said was "State Specific "  and "For us at least" if you are not in NJ then the local regs are probably different

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:18:53 PM EST
[#43]

Quoted:

Which has what to do with the question of criminal history lookups during my stops?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which has what to do with the question of criminal history lookups during my stops?

There was no witnessed infraction, no arrest, no case number.  Each state does have differring rules.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:21:39 PM EST
[#44]
My chief concern is why they have a system that shows incorrect info that could lead to a felony arrest that could screw up my career.  Seems like a lot of liability hanging out there. The cop that explained the system made out like that is how it works, like an incomplete system.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:26:39 PM EST
[#45]
Quoted:
My chief concern is why they have a system that shows incorrect info that could lead to a felony arrest that could screw up my career.  Seems like a lot of liability hanging out there. The cop that explained the system made out like that is how it works, like an incomplete system.  
View Quote

Why did our system routinely show warrants as active that had been closed?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:29:41 PM EST
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm also interested in how the man was invited into your life. You just drive the wrong kind of vehicle or someone SWATTED you?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:33:26 PM EST
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:02 PM EST
[#48]
Quoted:

Depending on when they update the system a person could show active warrant that may have already been served.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did our system routinely show warrants as active that had been closed?
http://i.imgur.com/8zmtPbx.jpg

Depending on when they update the system a person could show active warrant that may have already been served.

Some of them had been served years earlier.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:37:46 PM EST
[#49]
So what's the problem here? Cops were investigating you because you fit the profile of a suspect for a case they were working, and you didn't like it?

Ok.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:49:26 PM EST
[#50]
Quoted:
Yes I always run the driver for DL and wants and warrants local criminal history comes with that as well.
View Quote

This.  You run a DL it does the rest of that automatically.

ETA:  it does not give us a detailed criminal history, only a list of the local charges.  So technically, no, now that I re-read what was being asked.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.