BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SOP is to always run every person I come in contact with for warrants.

If traffic stop, I run everyone in car for warrants, I also run driver for his DL record and status including tag and expiration of tag.
View Quote

Really? How do you get their information?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There will be a formal complaint in the morning.  I will also pay a retainer and get the lawyer involved.  They better hope no procedure was violated.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey look, a douchebag stole from me, I whooped his ass.

I mean "in" for the follow up story after you make the complaint. I remember Maharlika74's story when he first posted it and then it got real good after he made an official complaint.
There will be a formal complaint in the morning.  I will also pay a retainer and get the lawyer involved.  They better hope no procedure was violated.    

How do the Czech Police Handle such matters?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If traffic stop, I run everyone in car for warrants, I also run driver for his DL record and status including tag and expiration of tag.

You ask them for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You ask them for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ask them for it.

And if they politely decline your request?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ask them for it.

Unless there is further justification necessitating getting it from them, you say "ok, no problem" and move on.

It should be noted that I personally don't run everyone in the vehicle during a traffic stop unless there is more to it (the vehicle stopped matched that of a suspect vehicle in a robbery and all occupants may have been involved...etc...etc).  Some officers do run everyone on basic traffic stops, but apart from the driver the information, the others can legally decline.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why did our system routinely show warrants as active that had been closed?

http://i.imgur.com/8zmtPbx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My chief concern is why they have a system that shows incorrect info that could lead to a felony arrest that could screw up my career.  Seems like a lot of liability hanging out there. The cop that explained the system made out like that is how it works, like an incomplete system.  

Why did our system routinely show warrants as active that had been closed?

http://i.imgur.com/8zmtPbx.jpg

In my experience,  it's mostly because of incompetence by the clerks in the courts, not taking warrants out of the system after they had been cleared.  Newark was famous.....ok, INfamous for that.  The shittums all knew to keep b a IL receipts on themselves.   Can't tell you how many guys had warrants active in the system out of Newark that had bail tickets in their pockets with the correct warrant numbers....weeks after the warrant should have been cleared.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The last two times I've been stopped for traffic/vehicle stuff I wasn't asked for any ID, registration, or insurance card.

I like my local police.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The last two times I've been stopped for traffic/vehicle stuff I wasn't asked for any ID, registration, or insurance card.

I like my local police.
View Quote

I frankly don't get the requirement to show registration papers in the 21st century.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So what's the problem here? Cops were investigating you because you fit the profile of a suspect for a case they were working, and you didn't like it?

Ok.
View Quote

That's right, I don't like it.  I especially don't like the part of how they accused me of being a felon in possession of a firearm when I was holding a CCW with my picture and name on it.  I don't like how they made some initial contact, I answered their questions, they knew I did nothing wrong, but they left and decided to do a thorough review of my history and found that I had knocked a dude out, was charged with bogus felony, actually plead to regular battery, but they couldn't see that information. So they came back and started questioning me more, holding me for a long period of time because their information was bogus.  I was fearful that I would be incorrectly charged with a felony, which could lead to me possibly losing a career that pays in the six figures because some guy with a badge decided to do an in-depth investigation on me when I did nothing wrong at all.  

If I break a law, I should pay.

If a cop violates policy or state law, he should pay.

I've violated no laws.  They better hope they didn't either.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I frankly don't get the requirement to show registration papers in the 21st century.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my local police.

You are right. Computers never go down, you are never in a dead zone without service, and license plates can never be easily removed and placed on other vehicles.

Also, never mind it is easier to lay out everyone's registration for a crash, than it is to look up every single on on the computer and copy it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's right, I don't like it.  I especially don't like the part of how they accused me of being a felon in possession of a firearm when I was holding a CCW with my picture and name on it.  I don't like how they made some initial contact, I answered their questions, they knew I did nothing wrong, but they left and decided to do a thorough review of my history and found that I had knocked a dude out, was charged with bogus felony, actually plead to regular battery, but they couldn't see that information. So they came back and started questioning me more, holding me for a long period of time because their information was bogus.  I was fearful that I would be incorrectly charged with a felony, which could lead to me possibly losing a career that pays in the six figures because some guy with a badge decided to do an in-depth investigation on me when I did nothing wrong at all.  

View Quote

Was this a local arrest? In state arrest?

You ask about running criminal history, but don't define what "history" you are talking about. The in state system is ran by the state. The local system is ran by the locals. Either of these likely have no restrictions for police access.

The federal system does nothing more than link state records. This system is governed by the FBI and there are strict access guidelines as to when you can and can't run someone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the problem here? Cops were investigating you because you fit the profile of a suspect for a case they were working, and you didn't like it?

Ok.

You seem to be compelled to repeat that you have a six-figure income.  

You weren't breaking the law, so what's the problem?

You got arrested for kicking someone's ass.  Guess what, shit like can follow you around for a while.  Deal with it, cupcake.

And you're not making REAL money until the first digiit of that six-figure income is something besides a 1.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to call dispatch for criminal history and it takes a few minutes, so no.

I will run everyone in the car to check for DL status and warrants.

ETA:  I can see your local history from my car, I just can't get your criminal history from NCIC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
You were driving a Crown Vic?

Were you carrying a JitterBug and a Life Alert as well?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

What if passenger refuses to identify their self? The stop was for the driver?

Roy
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Roy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roy

Unless they are suspected of committing a crime or infraction (seatbelt violation, etc) they aren't required to identify themselves to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

Sounds like they conducted.....an investigation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you conducting terry stops on these individuals? In the Hiibel case, the SCOTUS opined that you can't do that without reasonable, articulable suspicion of involvement in a crime...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Roy

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

My state has a stop and identify statute. If the officer has reasonable suspicion that you may involved in a crime, they can require you to identify yourself. But the statute doesn't specify that you have to have ID on you (unless you're driving. That's motor vehicle code). So, you can satisfy the stop and identify law by stating your name and address. Of course, if you lie to the officer about your name and address, that's a crime.

My state also has car insurance linked to my registration and driver's license. Last time I got pulled over, it was, "May I see your license please?" That was it. No registration. No proof of insurance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

^^^^^ All of the above and if you have a concealed weapon permit (State issued or national concealed carry). Depending on State DMV, I also get your license photo for verification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I swipe a person DL it gives their DL status, vehicle infractions, state criminal history and a check for warrants.

^^^^^ All of the above and if you have a concealed weapon permit (State issued or national concealed carry). Depending on State DMV, I also get your license photo for verification.

When you run a DL(I'm a Virginia resident) would it also post that I have Machinegun registered in Virginia? Was always curious about that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you conducting terry stops on these individuals? In the Hiibel case, the SCOTUS opined that you can't do that without reasonable, articulable suspicion of involvement in a crime...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Demand or request?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#23]
LULZ
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I mean "in" for the follow up story after you make the complaint. I remember Maharlika74's story when he first posted it and then it got real good after he made an official complaint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey look, a douchebag stole from me, I whooped his ass.

Was he the guy that got stopped driving away from the drug apartment house?  Did we ever hear a final outcome?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Was he the guy that got stopped driving away from the drug apartment house?  Did we ever hear a final outcome?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he was the guy who had a deputy stalking his wife.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]
In Texas, they just stick a finger up your ass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Pics/cavity_zpsulzaep2z.png

It just begs the question... what kind of brain-dead, fucking Kool-Aid drinking moron do you have to be to go sticking your finger up some skels ass on a car stop?

You could have told me the fucking Triforce was up there, I'm not going in after it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
These threads are always so entertaining.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Unless there is further justification necessitating getting it from them, you say "ok, no problem" and move on.

It should be noted that I personally don't run everyone in the vehicle during a traffic stop unless there is more to it (the vehicle stopped matched that of a suspect vehicle in a robbery and all occupants may have been involved...etc...etc).  Some officers do run everyone on basic traffic stops, but apart from the driver the information, the others can legally decline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ask them for it.

This.

If they don't have DL. I ask name and DOB. I've yet to have someone decline.

But they are welcome to do so....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When you run a DL(I'm a Virginia resident) would it also post that I have Machinegun registered in Virginia? Was always curious about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I swipe a person DL it gives their DL status, vehicle infractions, state criminal history and a check for warrants.

I've never gotten or heard of any type of class III information being released with a DL check.  We will get CCW information.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Criminal history, no.  I can't actually run a CH from my MDT, I can run a wants and warrants inquiry and I can check the jail booking records

Criminal Histories have to be run by our dispatchers and then logged on a dissemination log.  If we ran CH's on everyone we stopped or came into contact with, it would probably require another dispatcher to be hired for most shifts.  We save running CH's usually for things like incidents where we believe we have a felon in possession of a firearm or someone who may be getting charged with a felony offense based on prior conviction history, for example previous convictions for batteries  can result in a misdemeanor becoming a felony.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Ed

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok.next question is can  you see the actual disposition?  Charge and disposition?  Is NCIC used for this?
View Quote

County criminal history, yes. Complete criminal criminal history, no.

However, I could see warrants even when they were in "paper status", meaning the warrant was still being processed and yet to be officially issued. Always sucked to know someone was about to have a warrant issued for them, yet you couldn't arrest them until it was released from paper status.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Demand or request?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Demand or request?

That is very true, if he simply asks and they offer to provide the IDs, then it's their own fault for choosing to not exercise their rights.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

So your vehicle matched the description of a suspect vehicle.  Police identified you as the owner of the vehicle, ID'd you and ran your CH as part of the investigation.  While doing so they found something (namely, an arrest/charge for a violent felony) that didn't jive with your possession of a firearm.  So they went back to you, investigated further, and concluded that no, you are not a convicted felon and not a prohibited person, at which point their contact with you ended.  You were never cuffed, disarmed, arrested, mirandized, or anything else other than asked to clarify some conflicting information.  You were ruled out as a suspect, and are no longer the subject of any LE investigation.  

That complaint's gonna go well, I bet.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top