Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:35:02 AM EDT
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/09/10/ian-fisher-american-soldier/

Don't care if it is a dupe - its a great photo essay.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
at some of the responses "Geez, even with him making it alive it seemed tragic at times, lucky he didn’t die out there."
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They're all just kids in the first pics
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh geez. He seems to be getting in trouble a lot. Drugs, late, nearly awol. I am only halfway so as I go through it I hope he gets his shit together.

ETA: Well looks he got married soon as he got home. Also noticed he was an E2 when he got home. So he got busted somewhere along the line. I think they could have found a different troop for this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If you didn't know better-  this looks like some air softers - esp the 3rd from the left.

ETA - are rails and ACOGs like that standard issue now?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for posting this
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
A NCO's worst nightmare.  I wonder how many hours his NCO's wasted doing this kids paperwork for fucking up multiple times.

Edit to fix spelling
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes he served in Iraq but to be honest the guy is an assbag. They should have followed someone who has their shit together. Thats the way I see it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

thanks for posting this

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#9]
That shot of him arriving at Benning after dark brings back a lot of memories.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#10]
How many girlfriends did that kid go through? It mentions like four different girls and then he marries one at the end that wasn't mentioned beforehand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How many girlfriends did that kid go through? It mentions like four different girls and then he marries one at the end that wasn't mentioned beforehand.

Yeah, he clearly has self-esteem issues that weren't solved by his time in the military.  I predict that marriage won't end well.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you didn't know better-  this looks like some air softers - esp the 3rd from the left.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/wp-content/photos/soldier024.jpg

Those are Aimpoints I believe.  Aimpoint CompM2 and now the CompM4 were/are the Army's standard close combat optic.  ACOGs are issued to Marines, although they haven't transitioned completely to A4s AFIAK.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes he served in Iraq but to be honest the guy is an assbag. They should have followed someone who has their shit together. Thats the way I see it.

Perhaps their crystal ball was on the fritz and they failed to see into the future to find out what kind of troop he would be.  Obviously, they couldn't predict how his military career would go when they started following him at high school graduation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am sure the photo journalist should have made sure his "shit was squared away".

Its a 'warts and all" look at one person. Not everyone in the Army is a model soldier - or even a good person. I knew a LOT of assholes who were soldiers.

At any rate - who the fuck has their shit squared away at 18? I give props for him doing it and sticking with it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps their crystal ball was on the fritz and they failed to see into the future to find out what kind of troop he would be.  Obviously, they couldn't predict how his military career would go when they started following him at high school graduation.

True! I didnt think about that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are Aimpoints I believe.  Aimpoint CompM2 and now the CompM4 were/are the Army's standard close combat optic.  ACOGs are issued to Marines, although they haven't transitioned completely to A4s AFIAK.

Sorry - I am using it as a generic term. But thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure the photo journalist should have made sure his "shit was squared away".

Its a 'warts and all" look at one person. Not everyone in the Army is a model soldier - or even a good person. I knew a LOT of assholes who were soldiers.

At any rate - who the fuck has their shit squared away at 18? I give props for him doing it and sticking with it.

I know when I was in the Army at 18 years old I was on time, and I didnt do drugs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We have Aimpoints and ACOGs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA - are rails and ACOGs aimpoints like that standard issue now?

edit: hah!  helps to actually read the thread through before posting.

agree with others....seems like they could have picked someone that had things together a little more.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I extend my hand in gratitude for his service, but, as said above, that kid is an assbag.  He is in for a rough life.  I hope the story continues.  I want to see his face when he finds out that hottie is cheating on him, wiped out his bank account, and destroys his credit by not paying the rent on the apartment.

Good times.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#21]
At the end of it all this guy looks like a total douche. A few friends and I joined at 17 and 18 and we weren't total assbags throughout our deployments. Oh well, I know quite a few guys who were just like him.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ACOG is not a generic term
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, he clearly has self-esteem issues that weren't solved by his time in the military.  I predict that marriage won't end well.

They never do
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA - are rails and ACOGs aimpoints like that standard issue now?

edit: hah!  helps to actually read the thread through before posting.

agree with others....seems like they could have picked someone that had things together a little more.

So they could paint the service in a good light just for PR sake? People out there know that everyone who joins isn't a clean cut "patriotic" hero. It would be kind of cool to have seen two separate stories of friends who joined and see how they turned out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I want my five minutes back.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

thats a basic training picuture, all the combat arms guys are getting m4's with cco's or acogs

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#28]
thats a fantastic photo journal
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#29]
God I hate privates. I like how he has an Infantry CIB decal on his car when he doesn't have one and goes AWOL twice. turd.

ETA: And he just made me waste post 556.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A NCO's worst nightmare.  I wonder how many hours his NCO's wasted doing this kids paperwork for fucking up multiple times.
Edit to fix spelling
Notice he also lost his PFC

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Seems like a little dirt bag to me, he brings up his injury as soon as he gets to basic, what a joke.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, I recognize one of the SFC's in that series of pics. Neat.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ACOG is not a generic term

I realize it isn't. I was using it as such.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

I just got to that too, deploys a PFC, one pic says something about him getting promoted, then he comes home an PV2. This isn't an isolated incident, privates today are next to worthless, hopefully when the wars wind down the standards will come back up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanx for posting
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

I just got to that too, deploys a PFC, one pic says something about him getting promoted, then he comes home an PV2. This isn't an isolated incident, privates today are next to worthless, hopefully when the wars wind down the standards will come back up.

Privates are lumps of clay, most of them need to be molded by their leadership, which sometimes fails miserably. The worthlessness only starts at Private, but it can go up to SMAJ.
Ease up on the cherries.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

Privates are lumps of clay, most of them need to be molded by their leadership, which sometimes fails miserably. The worthlessness only starts at Private, but it can go up to SMAJ.
Ease up on the cherries.

Did you see their "counseling"? When I grew up in the army counseling consisted of full battle rattle and a sand pit. and that was only 6-7 yrs ago. You can't smoke joe anymore. One reason I got out, no consequences.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#38]
So what is the medal he was awarded? Are they given out like candy, or to those that deserve it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#39]
interesting
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#41]
kinda cool but kinda lame
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Wow, that's a great collection of photos.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#43]
It looks like he turned his life around. He did his tour. took responsibility. Came home a hero and got the girl.

good for him
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#44]
This makes me think of a couple things:

I can't imagine having a photographer regularly following my BT class around. I think it would change the overall vibe. Not sure why the Army would allow this.

I remember how much I loathed those asshole civilians who work on basic training posts and treat new recruits like garbage.

Lot of fat on the back of that one DS's head. WTF?

I don't remember this "Soldier's Creed." Was this not around in 1990? Maybe I've completely wiped it from my memory....?

WTF THE ARMY ISSUES CLOROFORMS (spelling?) NOW??? We weren't even allowed to own them back in the day, let alone being issued them!!!

Great to see these privates getting such situation-specific training these days. Back in my day, we jabbed our bayonets into a training dummy named Ivan. I'm guessing that dummy's named Abdullah now. Can someone confirm?

Where is DS Eldridge's brown round? I never saw a DS wearing anything but that or a kevlar.

Looks like this kid was reduced to E-1 prior to his deployment.

I knew maybe one or two guys like this in the Army. they were far and away the exception to the norm. They didn't last long, contrary to this guy's experience. I don't like how this photojournal could lead outside readers to believe this is a typical story. It's not. Most guys get their stuff squared away quick and keep it squared away. Hopefully this guy keeps his stuff together.

God bless him and all our troops.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So what is the medal he was awarded? Are they given out like candy, or to those that deserve it?

I think it was an AAM. Maybe an ARCOM.  Very typical of an award given out for a junior troop after a combat tour.  If he fucked up a lot over there, he could have got nothing.  He may have straitened out over there with regards to military life.  His personnal matters are another matter.

I disagree with the sentiment that this was/is a leadership failure.  The kid just lived too close to mommies tit.  He goes home for the weekend, parties, hangs out with his old high school buddies who are still doing drugs, he does some drugs with them and gets in trouble.  He is making rookie mistakes when it comes to married Army life as well.  I know he's heard the horror stories but what does he do, gets married to some broad he's been talking on the phone with in Iraq who just happens to be like the 4th chick he's dated since joining the Army.  The kid is the guy that NCO's tell their soldiers not to be.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Uh.... yeah.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why?

Not everyone has their shit together, and shit just think about all the 18-22 year old kids running around the US with an absolutely useless existence.

This kid had to guts and determination to follow through with his goal, I'm sure if you or I had a reporter from the Denver Post follow us around for multiple years in our late teens and early 20s, we would have multiple "assbag" moments.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm confused, why is this young soldier wearing BDU's to church, to the mall for a ring....
I thought there were very strict rules on the wearing of uniforms outside of their base/job
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Good ol Benning boy do i miss her
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Agreed! The kid is a complete loser. I'm sure the NCO's were real happy with this asshat!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top