Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes he served in Iraq but to be honest the guy is an assbag. They should have followed someone who has their shit together. Thats the way I see it.

I am sure the photo journalist should have made sure his "shit was squared away".

Its a 'warts and all" look at one person. Not everyone in the Army is a model soldier - or even a good person. I knew a LOT of assholes who were soldiers.

At any rate - who the fuck has their shit squared away at 18? I give props for him doing it and sticking with it.

I know when I was in the Army at 18 years old I was on time, and I didnt do drugs.

I knew plenty of squared away guys at 18.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A NCO's worst nightmare.  I wonder how many hours his NCO's wasted doing this kids paperwork for fucking up multiple times.
Edit to fix spelling
Notice he also lost his PFC

Kharn

I just got to that too, deploys a PFC, one pic says something about him getting promoted, then he comes home an PV2. This isn't an isolated incident, privates today are next to worthless, hopefully when the wars wind down the standards will come back up.

Privates are lumps of clay, most of them need to be molded by their leadership, which sometimes fails miserably. The worthlessness only starts at Private, but it can go up to SMAJ.
Ease up on the cherries.

Did you see their "counseling"? When I grew up in the army counseling consisted of full battle rattle and a sand pit. and that was only 6-7 yrs ago. You can't smoke joe anymore. One reason I got out, no consequences.

Dollars to donuts says they didn't do a real "counseling" because the photographer was there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I went in at 18, went to combat at 19, and I never got demoted, never went awol and got counseled.

I also didn't have his homelife.

Hopefully he can turn it around, get PLDC under him and a reenlistment, and make a career out of it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]
kid's a bit of a primadonna
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So what is the medal he was awarded? Are they given out like candy, or to those that deserve it?

The Army Commendation Medal is used as a end-of-tour award in most cases.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is the medal he was awarded? Are they given out like candy, or to those that deserve it?

I think it was an AAM. Maybe an ARCOM.  Very typical of an award given out for a junior troop after a combat tour.  If he fucked up a lot over there, he could have got nothing.  He may have straitened out over there with regards to military life.  His personnal matters are another matter.

I disagree with the sentiment that this was/is a leadership failure.  The kid just lived too close to mommies tit.  He goes home for the weekend, parties, hangs out with his old high school buddies who are still doing drugs, he does some drugs with them and gets in trouble.  He is making rookie mistakes when it comes to married Army life as well.  I know he's heard the horror stories but what does he do, gets married to some broad he's been talking on the phone with in Iraq who just happens to be like the 4th chick he's dated since joining the Army.  The kid is the guy that NCO's tell their soldiers not to be.

I agree, this kid was a cherry and fucked up like a cherry does.  I'm guessing we've only seen the first couple years of his enlistment he may still square up, but who knows.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
kid's a bit of a primadonna

Might have something to do with a reporter following him around all the time, making him feel more important than he is.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes he served in Iraq but to be honest the guy is an assbag. They should have followed someone who has their shit together. Thats the way I see it.

I am sure the photo journalist should have made sure his "shit was squared away".

Its a 'warts and all" look at one person. Not everyone in the Army is a model soldier - or even a good person. I knew a LOT of assholes who were soldiers.

At any rate - who the fuck has their shit squared away at 18? I give props for him doing it and sticking with it.

I know when I was in the Army at 18 years old I was on time, and I didnt do drugs.

this

should have been discharged

but he did get a ARCOM
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A NCO's worst nightmare.  I wonder how many hours his NCO's wasted doing this kids paperwork for fucking up multiple times.
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

I just got to that too, deploys a PFC, one pic says something about him getting promoted, then he comes home an PV2. This isn't an isolated incident, privates today are next to worthless, hopefully when the wars wind down the standards will come back up.

Privates are lumps of clay, most of them need to be molded by their leadership, which sometimes fails miserably. The worthlessness only starts at Private, but it can go up to SMAJ.
Ease up on the cherries.

Did you see their "counseling"? When I grew up in the army counseling consisted of full battle rattle and a sand pit. and that was only 6-7 yrs ago. You can't smoke joe anymore. One reason I got out, no consequences.

My son got "counseled" when in Korea last year for getting into a bar fight.

It involved full battle rattle and a mountian and being smoked for almost an entire day.    He said he got the message loud and clear.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Something I read, but I'm not sure I understand. He admitted to his Sgt. 1st Class that he: Returned to duty late *and* he did drugs.

Why would the Army retain someone like that?

Seriously, in the 80's and 90's, the USMC basically stripped you of your rank, assigned you to 'that' platoon, then booted your ass out. There doesn't seem to be a recruitment issue, so why keep him?

m
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Something I read, but I'm not sure I understand. He admitted to his Sgt. 1st Class that he: Returned to duty late *and* he did drugs.

Seriously, in the 80's and 90's, the USMC basically stripped you of your rank, assigned you to 'that' platoon, then booted your ass out. There doesn't seem to be a recruitment issue, so why keep him?

m

Maybe the one liner under the photo didn't tell the complete story.  Soldiers are chaptered out of the Army consistently for drug use.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, this a turd trying to stay afloat in our fine military. Hopefully he gets his shit together but I somehow doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps their crystal ball was on the fritz and they failed to see into the future to find out what kind of troop he would be.  Obviously, they couldn't predict how his military career would go when they started following him at high school graduation.

Seriously.  How many people would have followed Alvin York or Audie Murphy as recruits....

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

Maybe the one liner under the photo didn't tell the complete story.  Soldiers are chaptered out of the Army consistently for drug use.

And they need more combat troops during an active war (or two).
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps their crystal ball was on the fritz and they failed to see into the future to find out what kind of troop he would be.  Obviously, they couldn't predict how his military career would go when they started following him at high school graduation.

Seriously.  How many people would have followed Alvin York or Audie Murphy as recruits....

York  nearly became a conscientious objector - definitely not one whom you would think would be a 'hero'.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
This kid is basically a turd, from what I've seen of him so far.

Maybe he'll straighten his ass up, but that's on him to do so, with proper leadership and guidance along the way. His leadership needs to step up to the plate and start leading this dipshit in the right direction before he really fucks up.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool photos.  I cut him a fair amount of slack because he's 18 and has no clue yet - that hot chick he married (after buying another one an engagement ring apparently) will wind up cheating on him while he's on deployment.  A few hard learned life lessons will teach him a lot.  

He could maybe use a good dose of Gunny Highway too in those formative years

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
He was just to close to home.If he was at bragg, lewis, riley, or polk, he would have a lot of the temptation withdrawn from his life. Lord knows I saw my fair share of guys turn it around when they changed duty stations.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

Ease up on the cherries.

It involved full battle rattle and a mountian and being smoked for almost an entire day.    He said he got the message loud and clear.

getting in a fight is one thing

being a druggie loser should be a no-go
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That shot of him arriving at Benning after dark brings back a lot of memories.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Same with most of the shots around Benning. Looks like they changed up the common areas a bit with new stairwells and such since my days there (1992).
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

Ease up on the cherries.

Define druggie loser. There was one mention of drugs over 27mo.

ETA I am just a little surprised how harsh the arm chair commandos are treating a guy who is actually out in the shit. No wait - I forgot - this if ARFCOM. No I'm not surprised at all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edit to fix spelling

Kharn

Ease up on the cherries.

ETA I am just a little surprised how harsh the arm chair commandos are treating a guy who is actually out in the shit. No wait - I forgot - this if ARFCOM. No I'm not surprised at all.

I'm surprised that you can type but not read.

"March 8, 2008. 2:22 p.m. While at his dad’s new home near Morrison, Ian sits at the table with his essentials: cellphone, energy drink, cigarettes and a vial of Vicodin."

"July 24, 2008. 2:12 p.m. Ian shows his frustration during a counseling session with Sgt. 1st Class Weisensel, left, and Sgt. Donoso. In addition to admitting his drug use, Ian returned late from the weekend again and lied about his reasons, putting him at severe risk of getting kicked out of the Army. "

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Reception Station is "in the shit"?  Basic is "in the shit"?  Stateside duty station, driving home on weekends is "in the shit"?  Because that's where this kid was when he was doing most of this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How many girlfriends did that kid go through? It mentions like four different girls and then he marries one at the end that wasn't mentioned beforehand.

no kidding... he was even engaged to one other one..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That shot of him arriving at Benning after dark brings back a lot of memories.

As did the bleachers for me.  Been there many times.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many girlfriends did that kid go through? It mentions like four different girls and then he marries one at the end that wasn't mentioned beforehand.
no kidding... he was even engaged to one other one..
I bet you could make a really funny reality show about all the Pvt Fuzzies of the world and the stupid shit they do when 1SG isnt watching.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you didn't know better-  this looks like some air softers - esp the 3rd from the left.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/wp-content/photos/soldier024.jpg

ETA - are rails and ACOGs like that standard issue now?

And let me guess, you look like a freakin Delta Seal CIA Ranger.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed! The kid is a complete loser. I'm sure the NCO's were real happy with this asshat!!

Ayup.  And then in the one pic where he cops attitude while the 2 NCO's are seated in the barracks......priceless.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot of fat on the back of that one DS's head. WTF?

His headgear is all kind of fucked up, too. The rear of the brim is turned up, bent....

I knew maybe one or two guys like this in the Army. they were far and away the exception to the norm. They didn't last long, contrary to this guy's experience. I don't like how this photojournal could lead outside readers to believe this is a typical story. It's not. Most guys get their stuff squared away quick and keep it squared away. Hopefully this guy keeps his stuff together.

God bless him and all our troops.

I hear there are more privates like him than not these days. I wish I was 26 right now.....

You heard wrong.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
At the homecoming he has a rocker with his stripe so he went into country as an E-1 during the time frame he got promoted twice.

Joe does dumbshit I was a retarded as 17 year old and the Army got my ass inline, Now I am a Platoon SGT It sucks when you feel like a Soldier is beyond redemption I wouldn't think twice about letting a Joe get assigned to another platoon during his first few months in the Army in the hopes that another NCO can bring something to the table that can make him hear the pop of his head coming out of his ass. The guy was a shit bag at first maybe he found what he needed in combat that since of purpose it's a scary thought to think that, that's what it took to for it to work but it happens.

At the end of the day he had the gall to come and the balls to try. Hope he keeps it up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#33]
he was "that guy" in the platoon.  I can name at least one guy that mirrors him almost exactly in every platoon I have been in.

sometimes redeemable, sometimes not.  always good to have around to fill hescos and sweep motor pools.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
he was "that guy" in the platoon.  I can name at least one guy that mirrors him almost exactly in every platoon I have been in.

sometimes redeemable, sometimes not.  always good to have around to fill hescos and sweep motor pools.

Yup.  Unfortunately, sometimes the whole platoon has to pay for their mistakes as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#35]
That was a really good series of photos.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#36]
That must be the lamest .mil story any ever spent that much time on and still published.

EDIT- and WOW those kids look young...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"March 8, 2008. 2:22 p.m. While at his dad’s new home near Morrison, Ian sits at the table with his essentials: cellphone, energy drink, cigarettes and a vial of Vicodin."

"July 24, 2008. 2:12 p.m. Ian shows his frustration during a counseling session with Sgt. 1st Class Weisensel, left, and Sgt. Donoso. In addition to admitting his drug use, Ian returned late from the weekend again and lied about his reasons, putting him at severe risk of getting kicked out of the Army. "

Your reading is impeccable. Your comprehension could use some work. The Vicodin was prescribe because he fucked up his ankle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#38]
huh.....kid joins army, gets in trouble, goes to war, has girlfriend, girlfriend leaves, depressed, comes home, marries other girl.......yeah thats the army.

they couldnt follow a good soldier?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reception Station is "in the shit"?  Basic is "in the shit"?  Stateside duty station, driving home on weekends is "in the shit"?  Because that's where this kid was when he was doing most of this stuff.

Sigh.Yeah - he went around and fucked up. OK.

Now let's just ignore Nov-Mar and Jun-Aug when he was 'in the shit'  - "Quick Reaction Force duties". He is out side the wire with guns and dodging IEDs. It isn't Fallija (sp), but its still putting his life on the line for his country.

I'm going to cut him slack. Bad personal decisions at 18-20 is the norm. Anyone who didn't do something stupid then is a liar.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your reading is impeccable. Your comprehension could use some work. The Vicodin was prescribe because he fucked up his ankle.

I understood this, "There was one mention of drugs over 27mo." just fine.

AWOL twice, drug user, got kicked out of his 1st PLT.  I believe he must have pissed "hot".  Why else would he be talking about drugs to his PSG if he didn't.  Real winner.  I hope he straightens out for the sake of those who have to serve with him.

Edit to fix spelling
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.Yeah - he went around and fucked up. OK.

Now let's just ignore Nov-Mar and Jun-Aug when he was 'in the shit'  - "Quick Reaction Force duties". He is out side the wire with guns and dodging IEDs. It isn't Fallija (sp), but its still putting his life on the line for his country.

I'm going to cut him slack. Bad personal decisions at 18-20 is the norm. Anyone who didn't do something stupid then is a liar.

I hope that he uses the experiences that he has had to better himself.  But it seems with the marriage thing that he hasn't finished learning yet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you didn't know better-  this looks like some air softers - esp the 3rd from the left.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/wp-content/photos/soldier024.jpg

ETA - are rails and ACOGs like that standard issue now?

And let me guess, you look like a freakin Delta Seal CIA Ranger.

No - I don't have any tactical gear.

No wait - I have a sleeve on my 12 gauge that holds another 5 or 6 rounds. Does that elevate me to operator status?

They have clean cammies and rifles and are awkwardly holding them. And Shadraq looks to be 16. They were newbies and young, so that is expected.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, he clearly has self-esteem issues that weren't solved by his time in the military.  I predict that marriage won't end well.

I hope you're wrong, but after watching my Military friend's marriages I don't have much hope .  An excellent photo essay though, and the photography was great (something I look for).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top