User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/4/2006 9:05:43 PM EDT
Tensions Change Dress Code At Local Middle School

Mike Hooker
Reporting

(CBS4) WESTMINSTER, Colo. The immigration debate and demonstrations caused a middle school in Adams County to change their dress code.

Students at Shaw Heights Middle School are no longer allowed to wear anything that's patriotic, including camouflage pants, because they have become a political symbol for a version of patriotism.

"It upsets me that we cannot support our troops, the military," said Kirsten Golgart, an eighth grader who was told she'd be suspended if she didn't change her clothes. "We can't support our country. If we're American, I think we should be proud to be an American."

A letter went home to parents last week that explained for student safety, no clothes were allowed with political messages or flags of any sort.

Myla Shepherd, the principal, said that tensions over the immigration issue were apparent when more than 20 students came to school wearing camouflage jackets and pants, apparently to show what they call their patriotism and American pride.

"We started seeing name calling," Shepherd said. "Safety is my first concern so I'm going to do things to keep us from getting to a point where anybody is hurt or being suspended for fighting."

She said the dress code diffused the tension immediately.

"I don't think that's a solution though because you're punishing 400 students because the action of 100," said Eric Golgart, Kirsten's father.

He gathered signatures against the dress code, but the principal said for safety, freedom of speech can be limited in schools, even as students get involved in the national immigration discussion.

In Longmont, the principal of Skyline High School banned all flags, including the American flag, because of tensions related to immigration reform.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_094003340.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
such bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
All the Boys should Just start sporting Mohawks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
They should come dressed as colonial minutemen.  This crap is just getting stupid.  The left is winning.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Love it or leave it you sonofabitch liberals...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The "Citizen's Arrest" clause is vastly under-utilized....banning the US flag on US soil sounds like a case for "domestic enemy".
Anyone who has taken the oath:"...to protect against all enemies, foreign or domestic", could easily take advantage of this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If they keep this up, the boys are going to start shaving their heads instead.

- BG
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The "Citizen's Arrest" clause is vastly under-utilized....banning the US flag on US soil sounds like a case for "domestic enemy".
Anyone who has taken the oath:"...to protect against all enemies, foreign or domestic", could easily take advantage of this.

Yeah we should be using the Citziens Arrest, seeing how Domestic Enemies are handled by the DHS, but they are busy diddling themself online with 14 yearold children.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
9th Circuit Determination Article

9th Circuit Ruling:
"There is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children...Parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students."

Clearly, there is no longer any rights afforded to parents, according to the 9th circuit.

"No such specific right can be found in the deep roots of the nation's history and tradition or implied in the concept of ordered liberty." --Judge Stephen Reinhardt

Seems to me the public school system's goal is no longer to educate, but to create machines of the state.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In Longmont, the principal of Skyline High School banned all flags, including the American flag, because of tensions related to immigration reform.

I suggest we fly Myla Shepherd by their neck in place of the flag.

It's bullshit. Even schools must fly a flag, I believe.

If I were a student there, I'd dye my hair red, white, and blue, and get an American flag tattoo on my arm.

God damn sub-humans with their zero-tolerance bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they keep this up, the boys are going to start shaving their heads instead.

- BG

"Kristallnacht" after that  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Well,it looks like i will be alive to see the fall of the US.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well,it looks like i will be alive to see the fall of the US.

Nothing Lasts Forever
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Students at Shaw Heights Middle School are no longer allowed to wear anything that's patriotic, including camouflage pants, because they have become a political symbol for a version of patriotism.

yeah we must rid the country of patriotism. ....oh excuse me everyone.....

debemos librar sí el país de patriotismo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
You know, I don't mind the camo pants rule.

I went to a secondary school with a dress code called a 'uniform'. All the guys wore grey trousers, white or light blue collared shirt, and a tie with either a grey jumper or blue blazer. All the girls wore green skirts and jumpers, white shirt and tie. Period, end of story.

A little bit of pride in appearance at an earlyish age can set you up well for the future. Camo may have its uses and its comfort levels, but it's hardly 'seriouswear', and education is something you need to consider as 'serious.'

NTM
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
What a crock of shit
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree with not wearing cammies, If you did'nt go to BOOT, then you don't rate.  But the rest of that shit is horrible.  The Pussification of America continues, and the juices are dripping from left to right.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Seig Heil! We talk about grammar nazis here in a joking manner. Yet our children are experiencing nazism/communism on a daily basis in public school. Any expression of individualism is supressed. You MUST hold to the party line. Any deviation will be swiftly punished! We are no longer teaching students to think for themselves. We are teaching studends to follow what they have been told. Anyone with a different opinion is regarged as a misfit or problem. Many schools don't even say the pledge of allegiance anymore for fear of offending someone. It almost seems that some folks are ashamed to be Americans and living better than most of the world. I am glad that I have a descent  job and a roof over my head. I am not going to cry because others don't. Let them work for it just like I did. We are raising a nation of followers instead of a nation of leaders. I will not forsake my beliefs and norms just because someone else thinks differently. The majority is the majority for a reason. Lets make everyone else adapt for a change.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
The majority is the majority for a reason. Lets make everyone else adapt for a change.

agree, the people here from another country should show the tolerance of this country's flag and patriotism.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
A letter went home to parents last week that explained for student safety, no clothes were allowed with political messages or flags of any sort.

and what's that shi! about "for student saftey"? What or who are these red white and blue wearing students in danger from?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

He gathered signatures against the dress code, but the principal said for safety, freedom of speech can be limited in schools, even as students get involved in the national immigration discussion.

Things like this are always done in the name of safety. One by one rights will be chipped away at for safety's sake.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#22]
What the fuck is happening to Colorado???
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Tensions Change Dress Code At Local Middle School

Mike Hooker
Reporting

(CBS4) WESTMINSTER, Colo. The immigration debate and demonstrations caused a middle school in Adams County to change their dress code.

"It upsets me that we cannot support our troops, the military," said Kirsten Golgart, an eighth grader who was told she'd be suspended if she didn't change her clothes. "We can't support our country. If we're American, I think we should be proud to be an American."

Myla Shepherd, the principal, said that tensions over the immigration issue were apparent when more than 20 students came to school wearing camouflage jackets and pants, apparently to show what they call their patriotism and American pride.

"We started seeing name calling," Shepherd said. "Safety is my first concern so I'm going to do things to keep us from getting to a point where anybody is hurt or being suspended for fighting."

She said the dress code diffused the tension immediately.

"I don't think that's a solution though because you're punishing 400 students because the action of 100," said Eric Golgart, Kirsten's father.

Is this a public school? If so, the part highlighted in red above is absolute bullshit. The principle needs to take a basic civics class sometime.

So, when is this crap going to be challeneged in court? I can't imagine it would hold up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody have and email address or any contact info for this school??  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Easy answer... homeschool.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Had a Wyoming buddy tell me this.

Denver/ Boulder: Mile High Berkely.
CO is Kali with good gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Too many people from CA have moved to CO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#30]

what a waste of all those mountains.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Ha! In our schools, we still have posters that say "In God we Trust", and there are American flags everywhere! I am so glad I live in the South. We take a big collective shit on Politcal Correctness, and that's the way it should be!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Reason #3,489 why I home school.  There is no way I'm going to expose impressionable children to all of that garbage.  Ugliness.  I despise it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many people from CA have moved to CO.

That's what's happening.

Quoted:
what a waste of all those mountains.

Yep.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For now...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For now...

Denver has a local ban on certain weapons including ARs.  High cap mags too.  But it's being challenged in the courts.
Most of the rest of the state is ok though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I live in America and I am not going to be told that in my country I can not wear my country's flag. Those students need to stand up against this, sure let them suspend you, but you will be right and they will be wrong and in the end I believe the school would loose that one. This should be on FOX news, that school would get ripped to shreds. Of course liking your country is wrong but go ahead and have a good time in your mexican colors, i mean its such a great country and society as can be seen by their total ruin.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#37]
This is just friggin sad.  I remember not long ago that it was actually encouraged to be patriotic and upstanding Citizen.  I remember when schools actually taught government in terms of good citizenship.

Since when do we as citizens have to give a rat's ass about what some non-voting, US hating, cockroaches, think?  What everyone is arguing on both sides is regarding ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!!  It's not racism, it's about protecting OUR COUNTRY!  If you want to live and work here, follow the EFFin' rules!  Can't claim you don't know or understand them since everything is written in spanish for you and plenty of spanish speaking help, which irritates me too.  Side bitch - calling in to a customer service recording and having to SELECT English from the menu instead of the otherway around....

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hmmm, I wonder how many Californians have moved to Colorado lately?

MANY geek liberals have moved to Colorado from Kalifornistan and have bougt their notions of social marxism right along with them. Denver ant the Peoples Republik of Boulder is overun with liberal dimogeeks.

Besides ........how can you fault the "La Raza" re-conquistas, wanting to have the mehican flag flying over Aztlan?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Ban Patriotism...Do it for the children...
Ya know, if I get any such letter, my kid's going to school naked. 90% of his wardrobe (including backpack) is camo....

G'head MA school department...send me a letter.....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#41]
They should have banned the Mexican Flag, NOT ours.

If In was still in school and it was that one, I would be raising holy hell.

Still gonna raise holy hell as soon as I can get some contact info
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Is the website of the school?

http://shaw.adams50.org/home.asp

I'd like to tell the pricipal what I think about her decision.

ETA: link left cold..not traced back here...etc etc
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Disband public schools and the teacher's union.  Gone.  Over.  Finished.  Privatize the whole system.

I know that Democrats don't want schools privatized because it will end their indoctrination/brainwashing scheme, but it is the only way to get rid of this kind of crap.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm seriously considering it for the next school year.

Guess if I lived in that school district, I'd be picking the kids up wearing camo pants and an American flag t-shirt. My son has a pair of camo pants that he wears a LOT and his backpack is camo too.

Such utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#45]
What a massive crock of shit.  There is something abjectly wrong when you are talking about banning patriotisim to appease a group of riot starters in your school.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Now they have gone way too far including CAMO!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You guys remember right after 9/11, when it was cool to fly the American flag and EVERYONE was doing it in one way or another?

Remember back then when being a Police Officer/Fireman/Military was cool and you couldn't walk down the street without getting a hug or a sincere "Thank You" if you were one?

What the hell happened to it all? How is being proud to be an American a bad thing? That PC BS in Colorado doesn't fly with me at all. I hope everyone over there grows a brain and starts wearing some RED, WHITE, and BLUE!

Their true colors finally showed back through Wave. This is how they were before 9/11, and this is how they still are.... to be liberal is to bask in the emotion of the moment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#48]
The USSCt ruled about 30 years ago that public schools are not "speech-free zones" and that blanket prohibitions of particular political expressions are unconstitutional. You'd be hard-pressed to find a judge willing to sign an order finding that the US Flag is a provocation amounting to "fighting words" and subject to suppression.

They need a kid/parent with balls, a lawyer with a conscience, and a navy blue suit with flag patches on each shoulder and a flag lapel pin.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Total bullshit!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm seriously considering it for the next school year.

Guess if I lived in that school district, I'd be picking the kids up wearing camo pants and an American flag t-shirt. My son has a pair of camo pants that he wears a LOT and his backpack is camo too.

Such utter bullshit.

We started homeschooling our Kindergartener and 3rd grader this year.  We actually live in a city that has a good, conservative leaning school district.  However, we felt it best to school at home.  My kids are learning by leaps and bounds what we want them to know.  My kindergartener is doing multiplication in his head!  I don't think they even start that in public school till 2nd grade.

Teaching firearm safety and marksmanship is part of the course work.  My 6yr old is now begging me for a .22, you gotta love that.  I am gonna make him beg for it a while longer.

Make no mistake, my kids are probably not born geniuses, they are having to overcome my genes.  But the one on one attention and customized course work is invaluable.  By the way, plenty of socialization from homeschool co-ops and church.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top