Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2005 9:51:38 AM EDT

I've played paintball twice and love it but Airsoft rifles are sooo much more realistic.  Which one should I invest in?  I have an AR15 so realism is a plus but there are few airsofters around.  Tons of paintballers and places to play.

So I have a dilema.  I'm leaning towards paintball but is there anything else to consider before deciding?

Thanks,

Shok
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I like paintball, though Ive never spent the money on a good airsoft gun or played seriously.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I like paintball simply for hit detection.  It might not be a big deal to some, but knowing when you've hit your opponent is a big plus.  I don't know how airsofters play games like "capture the flag" with plastic bb's.  I just dont get it.  If I want realism...i can shoot my real guns.  So buying an airsoft for the "realism factor" does nothing for me.  Paintball just seems better suited to games in the woods with a bunch of people.  JMO, take it for what it cost ya.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Find out who plays what in your area. The guys you play with will be more important than which you play
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, I've played both and they both have their places.

Generaly speaking IMHO paintballing is a more physically intensive sport, where you can hit someone anywhere form 1-50 Meters with somewhat decent accuracy. It is much more expensive, guns from 100-3000$, and cheap paint at 40$ for 2000RDS. It is more about moving, putting alot of paint on your target, and communicating with your buddies. You carry alot of gear- xtra pods of paint, etc and are usually making movements you wouldnt make in a real gunfight- like sprinting to next object with hope your opponents paint wont catch up with you.

Airsoft, is in end state LESS expensive then paintball (nice pistol-150$ and 2,000 BBs for a few bucks), but more realistic. Guns are 1:1 replicas, fire with real load bearing mags, and can be used with real tactical gear. However, they have a maximum range of 1-25 meters, much less with wind- reguardless if you are shooting a spring, gas, or electric powered gun. Some long guns and MISC pistols may shoot further, but not the majority. I would only shoot outside if conditions were ideal- no wind, moderate temp (cold temp will kill your gas gun systems), and short range shooting. Here you must think more about movements like real life because the guns are more accurate and BBs travel a little bit faster.

Both improve your shoot, move communicate skills, but depending on where you can practice/play, what you want to accomplish, and how much money you wanna spend the choise is yours!

Just my $0.02

Scott
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Generaly speaking IMHO paintballing is a more physically intensive sport, where you can hit someone anywhere form 1-50 Meters with somewhat decent accuracy. It is much more expensive, guns from 100-3000$, and cheap paint at 40$ for 2000RDS. It is more about moving, putting alot of paint on your target, and communicating with your buddies. You carry alot of gear- xtra pods of paint, etc and are usually making movements you wouldnt make in a real gunfight- like sprinting to next object with hope your opponents paint wont catch up with you.

Airsoft, is in end state LESS expensive then paintball (nice pistol-150$ and 2,000 BBs for a few bucks), but more realistic. Guns are 1:1 replicas, fire with real load bearing mags, and can be used with real tactical gear. However, they have a maximum range of 1-25 meters, much less with wind- reguardless if you are shooting a spring, gas, or electric powered gun. Some long guns and MISC pistols may shoot further, but not the majority. I would only shoot outside if conditions were ideal- no wind, moderate temp (cold temp will kill your gas gun systems), and short range shooting. Here you must think more about movements like real life because the guns are more accurate and BBs travel a little bit faster.

Both improve your shoot, move communicate skills, but depending on where you can practice/play, what you want to accomplish, and how much money you wanna spend the choise is yours!

Just my $0.02

Scott

Airsoft guns actually shoot MUCH farther and MUCH flatter than paintballs. The cheap spring guns won't, but a good quality AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) will, as will gas guns and some high end spring guns.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
get a tipmann 98 custom and convert it to looking like a AR
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You would definetly have a more realistic looking gun with airsoft, but you can mod paintball guns to look pretty close. Check out www.opsgear.com , they have all the paintball mods a guy should need.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You would definetly have a more realistic looking gun with airsoft, but you can mod paintball guns to look pretty close. Check out www.opsgear.com , they have all the paintball mods a guy should need.

holy crap!  
thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I like paintball alot better. easy to tell ok i hit him. I dont like the honor system of airsoft cuz lets face it some people are gonna be dicks "I hit you no you didnt"  alot harder do that when theres a big splotch of paint on you.

also what kind of paintball fields are in your area? is it mostly speedball ie small areana  throw as much paint at each  in short amount of time and hope you dont get hit. or rec. ie woodsball sneaking around and boom ambusing people and what not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Find out who plays what in your area. The guys you play with will be more important than which you play

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $0.02

Scott

Airsoft guns actually shoot MUCH farther and MUCH flatter than paintballs. The cheap spring guns won't, but a good quality AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) will, as will gas guns and some high end spring guns.

Your talking about a high end quality Airsoft gun like a Mauri (I think their called).
Even then A high end Paintball marker with Nitrous Oxide will out shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not nitrous oxide, that's pretty explosive.  It's nitro or nitrogen, but most commonly just regular air compressed to 3000, 4500. or 5000 psi.  Pure nitrogen is pretty hard to find and expensive. And it has nothing to do with how far a painball gun shoots.  It's the velocity of the gun that makes the difference, and the international stanard is 300 feet per second maximum.  Many fields have lower limits, 285 or 290 to give an extra margin of safety, especially for CO2 shooters who's pressure can go up if the temperature does.
Now, you might be able to turn you velocity up a lot, to the point you are shatering every ball in the barrel, but unless you are playing "outlaw," not at an established field, and don't care about the safety of yourself and others, you will not be playing at those velocities.  Some people do cheat and turn their velocity up once they get on the field though, sneaking tools on or whatever.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#13]
With paintball vs. airsoft.
They are two different animals IMHO:
Paintball has evolved into "speedball" as the most common application of the sport.  Don't get me wrong there are still alot of senarios and groups who do it mil-sim type, but the markers are now more flashy and pretty and it is more of an accepted sport in the media, and equipment is avalible at more stores than airsoft.
Airsoft is mainly a pure milsim sport, still somewhat "underground" if you will, and not accepted as well as paintball by the media.  Realistic equipment and such.  
Airsoft guns will shoot farther and are more acuate due to the fact that most rules in airsoft the guns can shoot at a higher velocity because a 6mm airsoft round is alot smaller than a .68 cal. paintball which has a limit on 300fps where an airsoft bb can have a max of apx *500fps (depending on house rules and type of airsoft gun, i.e. AEG, GBB..)
IMO:
play whatever you are looking for, if you are looking for milsim, play airsoft.  If you want faster paced, flashier sport, play paintball.
I play both, I think they are both equal in the fun factor, I play more paintball though because more people around me play it.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Speedball is NOT the most common form of paintball nationwide.  It is just the most advertised and gets all the press in the magazines, and even a little bit on TV.  Woodsball is still the biggest.  Perhaps your area just has speedball fields. There are also some very large scale scednario games.  From the D-Day invasion, to defending the Earth from some alien invaders.  One of the biggest is a weekend event in Ohio, a D-Day scanario IIRC.  Around 3,000 players are there for that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
i've seen pictures in a few magazines (i guess they were airsoft magazines) where there are a few thousand people at an event.  iirc though these large events are usually in japan but is picking up more in the US.

i do agree that the main thing is finding who you'd be playing with.  you don't want to be playing a honor system game with a buch of asshats who think that just becasue you didn't feel a hit means you weren't hit.  it can be hard to tell if you're hit at times because a lot of times by the time the bb reaches your target, it's already going pretty slow and possibly hits loose clothing which is very hard to notice if you were just shot.

so anyways, i've played a little of paintball and a lot of airsoft.  i did enjoy airsoft a lot more but only due to the players who we went out with.  hope this was of some help.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Speedball is NOT the most common form of paintball nationwide.  It is just the most advertised and gets all the press in the magazines, and even a little bit on TV.  Woodsball is still the biggest.  Perhaps your area just has speedball fields. There are also some very large scale scednario games.  From the D-Day invasion, to defending the Earth from some alien invaders.  One of the biggest is a weekend event in Ohio, a D-Day scanario IIRC.  Around 3,000 players are there for that.

yep woodsball is bigger probly becouse of so many renagade fields.  just speed ball gets all the press cuz well it fast pased and easy to market.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
i paintball.  Only cause its a lil more popular than airsoft.  And i play paintball for the adrenaline rush and speedball is just a blast.  Either way i keep realism to the shooting range and fun to the field.

www.specialopspaintball.com also has some conversions.  But i really don't like all that milsim paintball stuff.

i'll post pics of my gun up tomarrow
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I also been playing paintball for over 8yrs now and is just getting into airsoft.  both games have good fun factors but gives a different type of feel of play.  
the pro's of paintball:  easy hit identification and can be played in pretty bad weather
con's of paintball: cost of paint/air, cost of field fees, very heavy equipment to haul around, trajectories aren't as flat as a good powerful AEG/gas gun, optics/sights are almost useless on paintball markers, paintball markers must most likely be shot from the upright position otherwise no balls will be fed to be shot(other than using the special loaders that enables the gun to shoot at any position-which is verry bulky and heavy)

pros of airsoft: the realism of the game play, 1;1 weapons, player can be loaded up with all real life tactical gear, bb's are wayyyyy cheaper, AEG's don't even require hpa bottles to operate=no cost to shoot, it can shoot so much more accurately, all optics are useful, weapons are so much lighter and may be shot from any position.

cons of airsoft: can't be played in bad weather, hit detection is almost to nothing(honor system) and more than likely to be questioned by the feds for terroRisT training
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]
You're bringing up the weight of paintball and AirSoft guns?!?  On a board where people are enthusiasts for REAL guns that are as heavy or heavier than the heaviest paintball gun?

The higher end paintball guns are pretty lightweight these days.  Milled aluminum, and at least one barrel maker is using carbon fiber.  Guns are coming in at just a couple pounds, and a couple more for a compressed air tank.
My Tippmann 98C with the LP kit, RT, and 68/4500 HPA tank is still lighter than an M16 with the Knight's rail system.
Playing paintball in some weather is harder though.  Rain increases the chances of getting your balls wet which makes them swell (no jokes kids), and get messy inside the hopper, they are just large fragile gel-caps after all.  If you keep everything dry it's ok though, just more effort.  Hell I play (or played rather, when I had money) in Western Washington in the rain without too much problem. Cold weather can make them more fragile so they are more likely to break in the gun or barrel.  There are some thicker shelled balls made for cold weather though, just don't use them in normal temps (over 50f) since they won't break very often.  In windy weather, your balls will go off, but not too horrible because they are larger, and that also makes them easy to see.  Sort of like shooting nothing but tracers.

How come you can't play AirSoft in bad weather?  Bulky clothing makes it hard to recognize a hit, or rain makes them hard to aim?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I also been playing paintball for over 8yrs now and is just getting into airsoft.  both games have good fun factors but gives a different type of feel of play.  
the pro's of paintball:  easy hit identification and can be played in pretty bad weather
con's of paintball: cost of paint/air, cost of field fees, very heavy equipment to haul around, trajectories aren't as flat as a good powerful AEG/gas gun, optics/sights are almost useless on paintball markers, paintball markers must most likely be shot from the upright position otherwise no balls will be fed to be shot(other than using the special loaders that enables the gun to shoot at any position-which is verry bulky and heavy)

pros of airsoft: the realism of the game play, 1;1 weapons, player can be loaded up with all real life tactical gear, bb's are wayyyyy cheaper, AEG's don't even require hpa bottles to operate=no cost to shoot, it can shoot so much more accurately, all optics are useful, weapons are so much lighter and may be shot from any position.

cons of airsoft: can't be played in bad weather, hit detection is almost to nothing(honor system) and more than likely to be questioned by the feds for terroRisT traininghr

check out the videos on www.derder.com  they shoot from other positions besides up right.  also the guns weigh tNOTH ING my gun weighs like 2.2 pounds w/out anything on it and like what about 10 pounds with a full hopper and full tank.  Oh and those dastardly pods taht are "so heavy" not really.  Anyways i do still choose paintball over airsoft because its funner to me and more people play it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
okay, here's the low down for airsoft in bad weather.  99% of the time when there's bad weather there's heavy winds/gust and a 6mm plastic bb will not be very effective at all past 40-50ft or so, it'll just curve to the left/right really fast.

for paintballing since the balls are some much heavier than the bb's that it stays on course wayy better and that means better range/accuracy in bad weather.  another thing is that if the player is using generic paintballs you can guarantee that if water/moisture gets on the paint it'll swell up, but if good balls ie. marbs, diablo are used it's a lot more resistant to water and will not swell up like the old fashion paintballs or otherwise known as the el' cheapo paint.

another point to point out is hauling paintball equipment around can or weigh so much more than airsoft equipment.  for example if you want to haul around 2500-3000 rds of paint.  do you know how much a case of paint(2k rds) weighs.  add that to the fully loaded marker with a 88ci fiber tank and  all of the other gear(bdu, boots etc.) and to top it off you've got on a full face mask that pretty much limits your ability to breath during exhausting game plays.

on the other hand with A/S, you can haul 10k rds of bbs easily.  and using tactical gear you don't have a huge pack on ur back like paintballing if you wish to carry more ammo.  of course if you decide to carry an m249 as your primary weapon then well, it'll be heavy or heavier than paintballing, but majority of the players carry lightweight carbines and such and not 30lb+ weapons.

on the case with paintball not being able to shoot in different positions.  of course the markers can be upgraded with hoppers that'll fire upside down and such but look at it this way:  how much more weight and bulkier can it be to add those type of force fed hoppers and what about the costs.  last I remember the price ran between $225-300 and that doesn't even include the special pods that needs to be used( and the pods aren't cheap either)  why isn' t it very popular with the pros with using these types of hoppers and why is it that they would rather choose an eggy2/halo over that loader that will make any marker shoot in any position?

I wouldn't give up either types of games(a/s or paintball) since they both are different in ways from each other.  it's just that I'll get to play A/S more often because after the equipment is bought it only cost a fraction of the price to play it.  paintball just cost too much to play even though I have my own scuba fill tank.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
okay, here's the low down for airsoft in bad weather.  99% of the time when there's bad weather there's heavy winds/gust and a 6mm plastic bb will not be very effective at all past 40-50ft or so, it'll just curve to the left/right really fast.

for paintballing since the balls are some much heavier than the bb's that it stays on course wayy better and that means better range/accuracy in bad weather.  another thing is that if the player is using generic paintballs you can guarantee that if water/moisture gets on the paint it'll swell up, but if good balls ie. marbs, diablo are used it's a lot more resistant to water and will not swell up like the old fashion paintballs or otherwise known as the el' cheapo paint.

another point to point out is hauling paintball equipment around can or weigh so much more than airsoft equipment.  for example if you want to haul around 2500-3000 rds of paint.  do you know how much a case of paint(2k rds) weighs.  add that to the fully loaded marker with a 88ci fiber tank and  all of the other gear(bdu, boots etc.) and to top it off you've got on a full face mask that pretty much limits your ability to breath during exhausting game plays.

on the other hand with A/S, you can haul 10k rds of bbs easily.  and using tactical gear you don't have a huge pack on ur back like paintballing if you wish to carry more ammo.  of course if you decide to carry an m249 as your primary weapon then well, it'll be heavy or heavier than paintballing, but majority of the players carry lightweight carbines and such and not 30lb+ weapons.

on the case with paintball not being able to shoot in different positions.  of course the markers can be upgraded with hoppers that'll fire upside down and such but look at it this way:  how much more weight and bulkier can it be to add those type of force fed hoppers and what about the costs.  last I remember the price ran between $225-300 and that doesn't even include the special pods that needs to be used( and the pods aren't cheap either)  why isn' t it very popular with the pros with using these types of hoppers and why is it that they would rather choose an eggy2/halo over that loader that will make any marker shoot in any position?

I wouldn't give up either types of games(a/s or paintball) since they both are different in ways from each other.  it's just that I'll get to play A/S more often because after the equipment is bought it only cost a fraction of the price to play it.  paintball just cost too much to play even though I have my own scuba fill tank.

if you noticed most teams that play tourneys/speedball games don't use gravity feed hoppers because their slow and unreliable.  Uhhh a new hopper isn't a upgrade for the gun.  Also buddy if you reallyw ant to argue w/ me about paintball my aim is prototrix0r.  I'll warn you now you will lose. but either way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Around here, hardly anyone plays airsoft, so if you want to play anything regularly, you're kinda limited to paintball.  You can compromise and get a cool-looking paintball gun.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:  

if you noticed most teams that play tourneys/speedball games don't use gravity feed hoppers because their slow and unreliable.  Uhhh a new hopper isn't a upgrade for the gun.  Also buddy if you reallyw ant to argue w/ me about paintball my aim is prototrix0r.  I'll warn you now you will lose. but either way.

why isn' t it very popular with the pros with using these types of hoppers and why is it that they would rather choose an eggy2/haloB over that loader that will make any marker shoot in any position?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
As mentioned earlier, I think who you play with is more important than what you play.  I'm sure you can have fun playing either game, and they are both games.  I dislike those players who take themselves too serious and think they are some militia SF unit.  If they desire that so much, go do it for real.  I just cannot view the milsim aspect as appealing.  If you play in the woods, sure wear camo but the replicas and body kits on markers just are a waste of money.  For me personaly; paintball > airsoft.

And don't get a Tippman.....
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/doublenot7/Paintball/DSCF0003.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/doublenot7/Paintball/vike5.jpg
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I've played both and the impression I've gotten is that most paintballers are down to earth normal people.  Airsoft was a different case.  I was all about airsoft at first and was ready to buy a gun and everything I needed, until I went and played.  This was at an established course that plays twice a month.  The people that showed up were rediculious.  They were either younger kids that couldn't grasp the concept of safety, or wannabe commando adults that acted like Chuck Norris in Delta Force.  It was a real turn off and I ended up buying a paintball marker.  Not to mention they cheated ALL the time.  So what if I pay more for paintballs, someone can't dispute a hit, and most of the people around here play paintball.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't think that there are no cheaters in paintball.  There are lots of "wipers."  People that take a second to wipe off the paint so it looks like it was from a previous game, brush against a bunker to wipe paint off their arm or leg, maybe crawl to get some off their chest or front thigh.  But then as I've heard on a paintball forum, you can't wipe a welt.  Shoot them enough times and they will call it quits.  Just don't go overboard and get called for overshooting.  Just on the pricks who deserve it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#29]
If you like milsim type of play, go for a Tippmann A-5. you can mod the hell out of it although they are not top of the line markers, they do the job and are reasonably priced.

If you want some more realism out of your paintball gun, then you should pick up a gun from this site: REAL ACTION PAINTBALL These markers are the most realistic ones I've seen in the way they work and look. The problem is that some fields only allow you to use their paint and these don't take the .68 cal sized balls. There are some videos around the site to demonstrate them. Pretty cool stuff.

I try to paintball at least once a month and I love IT!

Here's my modded A5. It doesn't look like and particular weapon but it does look mean. LOL.:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/Hafellafuser/A5.jpg
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/gallery/General-Real-Steel/Which_are_airsoft_and_which_are_real
can you tell which one's real?
scroll forward for more pics. of mp5 and hand gun
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's a compromise: Real Action Paintball

I got out of paintball 15 years ago - used to play with a bunch of old combat vet MFR / LRRP psychos , and we only toted 200 or so rounds with us (like real ammo). We also carried compasses, MRE's, engineer wire, and a bunch of other stuff you'd probably want if you were out there.

We knew it was a game, but we played a little more seriously than the "sports" types.

When the autocockers arrived on scene (along with the frat boys with the 300 round hoppers) the game changed from "sneak, peek and SPLAT" to "let's paint the tree that Joe's hiding behind until we get enough paint on him to get him called 'out'". Not everybody carries 2500-10K of ammo in real life, and to allow that much (even in a game) ruins the part that's the most fun for me.

Here's a pic of the "state of the art" circa 1987:

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
As mentioned earlier, I think who you play with is more important than what you play.  I'm sure you can have fun playing either game, and they are both games.  I dislike those players who take themselves too serious and think they are some militia SF unit.  If they desire that so much, go do it for real.  I just cannot view the milsim aspect as appealing.  If you play in the woods, sure wear camo but the replicas and body kits on markers just are a waste of money.  For me personaly; paintball > airsoft.

And don't get a Tippman.....
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/doublenot7/Paintball/DSCF0003.jpg
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/doublenot7/Paintball/vike5.jpg

that bottom ones a viking or an excal right.  oh wait it says viking in the picture thing nice man i like that did you get it custom milled?  and nice mags.

How much was the pump conversion on your cocker.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#33]
If you did not like the advent of the mechanical semi you definitely want to see it today with "ramping" and "cheater" boards in the electros.  The kids are as ignorant as they come and cheating is an accepted tournament aspect.   :sigh:

Yes, the Viking is a custom job from Destructive Customs.  It is a "FSP" style milling.  It has a Tadao Musashi 5 board in it (yes, it ramps, etc....too).  The mags are my real babies though, especially my precious X-Mag!  The cocker was not converted to pump but is a Chipleys Series-5 pump.  I bought it used for about half price, $200, some day I will get to shoot it.  Along with the Vikig and the cheapo pump.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Here's a compromise: Real Action Paintball

www.rap4.com/images/package/rap4_combo_pack.jpg

where's the CO2 located? or is it not in the picture? is it in the mag?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Rap4's are overpriced crap (their tiny CO2 cartridge is in the butt stock.  As are the mocked up Tippys.  All that gives you is a very mediocre marker that looks cool.  You are better off spending the extra money on a quality marker.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#36]
how many oz can the butt stock take? doesn't look like it's much...
there's no way you can have a real look with paintball markers. the CO2 compartment is hard to hide
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
For MilSim the Rap4 is the best it gets; metal construction, spits brass, magazine fed (no hopper), concealed air source.  But it is quite costly for a not so impresive capabilities and the proprietary ammunition system makes it rather expensive to play with.  I'm not sure what the CO2 tank size is but at best it is a 9oz probably, more likley a 7 oz.  No thanks :(
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#38]
As far as I can tell there are only 2 guys here that have managed to get this right at all ... Recon_by_fire and Tango7  ... tango is right the game has changed SOOO much it used to be more like milsim now it isn't at all. And Tango that PMI Rifle you posted a pic of is worth a small fortune to some guys nowadays ... I just had an offer of a $1000 for my Airgun Designs factory turbo'd PMI Pirahna long barrel ... I didn't sell btw ... I played from '88 till '02 on various Tourney teams and even built and ran a couple fields here in NY.
 Recon said it best when stated if that if you really want to do that stuff go do it for real. Paintball involves so much less skill in a Military perspective now than it ever did... It's snap shooting and getting a "String" on your target to keep him in place till another player can "bunker" him or get him on a crossing angle.
  The only small amount of merit I would give Paintball for "practical" training purposes is the indoor stuff room to room. We used to practice with the Buffalo swat team at the first indoor paintball field ever built ... and I got to tell you we tore them to pieces. Paintball is a game and doesn't offer anything real in lines of outdoor training let me assure you of that. Go ahead hide behind that plywood sheet ...we'll see if my 5.56 can't just squeak through there  
    I know nothing about airsoft other than that my H&K airsoft replica really gets my wifes cat running ... otherwise it's a toy same as paintball .... bullets and real training aren't the same boys ... lets hope you don't ever need to learn that the hard way .. and to finish I'll say if you want realism Shok ... see your recruiter cause there is nothing more real once your in the military.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Is it just me, or are these arguments as pointless as the AK vs AR threads?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Especially when you get people pining for the "good old days."  The ones that bring up paintballs early days, and compare it only to the high profile, but still in the minority tourny players.  Most players still play in the woods, and even when you don't count the outlaw players (ones that don't play on established fields), the vast majority are still rec-ballers.  Not everyone plays on supair bunkers.  Sure if all you do is watch the few televised games, and read the rags, you'll get the impression that paintball is all about the bright colors and tournaments, but really it's not.  It's not the mil-sim market (the wannabes IMO, but again to emphasie that's just MY OPINION) as much as it might have been 20 years ago, or like Airsoft is, but don't say it's all about Dynasty and their kind (tourny players, actually a top ranked team).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]
hello all, I am a airsoft advocate. I love real steel, but i also love my airsoft.
Check all these cool airsoft guns out.
http://miairsoft.proboards70.com/index.cgi?board=gallery&action=display&thread=1137042713

this is the site for michigan.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#42]
people don't cheat in airsoft when you make them bleed with .30 bb's.   Airsoft ftw.  more realistic, more accurate, some what cheaper, even tho nice guns start at like 500
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Woodsball is huge around here!!!

Get the Tippmann A-5.  The 98 custom is still a great marker but it has the problem as every other marker, one paintball load at a time.  The A-5 uses a cyclone and spins.  Just about eveyone I play with has one and rarley has any problems

A pic of me about to go and get some.

Some of the gear....Warsensor RIS marker with Apache agitated hopper.  Notice the smagma?

Three Tippmann A-5s getting ready to Get er Done (the third is on the far right).
And YES...Thats a 1911 in a 6004 drop leg.  The guy is a little scard of snakes.

David
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:57:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Finally a sidearm in paintball that is worth a damn :)

No cheating in airsoft; yeah keep telling yourself that.  Cheating is a personality flaw not a game flaw.  You see them in both games.

Make 'em bleed with BB's huh?  I can turn my velocity up higher on my Mag with high pressure max flow and cause more damage.  Then we could all be cool....  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Having played paintball for over 10 years I've learned to keep shooting you until you call "Out". Even if I'm splattering you with paint, I will continue to hit you until you call out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Yup. Especially with players that play a lot of tourneys.  Get that gun up and call yourself out or the balls will keep coming.  Especially with known cheaters.  You can't wipe a welt
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Having played paintball for over 10 years I've learned to keep shooting you until you call "Out". Even if I'm splattering you with paint, I will continue to hit you until you call out.

hopefully they have the brains to relize "God damn that hurts" and call them self out.

I was playing once and a guy was using really old paint it just refused to break needless to say if i got hit by one of his i called my self out irreardless of it breaking. fucking hurts dont see why people wipe they ussaly get shot agien  until they give up do to the pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top