Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2011 11:39:08 AM EDT
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/04/security-experts-playstation-network-breach-one-of-largest-ever/1

The external hack of Sony's PlayStation Network represents one of the largest data breaches ever, security experts suggest.

Dr. Paul Judge, chief research officer and vice president of Barracuda Networks, says the PSN intrusion is "arguably the second largest data breach ever," trailing only 2009's Heartland Payment date breach, which impacted 175,000 merchants and millions of payment card transactions per month.

"The most troubling thing about this breach is the breadth of data that was leaked: name, address, passwords, purchase history and possibly credit card numbers," says Judge. "This provides potential ammunition for almost any type of attack."

More at the link.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
thats why im willing to pay for online service such as xbox live.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Did you notice the "possibly credit card numbers" part? Do you think they can get credit card numbers from people who don't pay?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you notice the "possibly credit card numbers" part? Do you think they can get credit card numbers from people who don't pay?

lol owned
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

do your homework––many people have had the xbl accounts hacked––––just not on this high of a scale.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol owned

you still need to purchase game downloads and game addons with a credit card.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd really hate to be Sony Customer Service right now...

I'd gladly pay for PSN if they could minimize threats like this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol, wut?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Netflix and various game down loads, etc require credit cards to be used through PSN.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
What a disaster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not paying for the online service.

Merely for optional additional content located on said service.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
They shouldn't have fucked with Geohot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anon taking out the Network is OK with me...and I'm on PSN

Anon taking out the USERS was uncalled for.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it Anon?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it Anon?

Anon

The group claiming responsibility for the attack.

ETA: Sorry, I read your post as "What is Anon?"

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it Anon?

There was a initial hack of Sony systems a couple weeks ago that was Anon. They admitted it and no user data was leaked.

This was something entirely different. Anon has said they were not responsbile, that they only had wanted to disrupt some Sony things initially and they had nothing to do with anything that would effect PS3 users. Time will tell...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, wut?

Microsoft's service, since it is paid, is unhackable.  Duh.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
And from the clues so far it looks like they were storing passwords in clear text.

http://www.darkreading.com/security/attacks-breaches/229402347/hack-of-playstation-network-threatens
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If you think that having to pay for XBL makes the system immune to attack, you don't know much about Microsoft.

Sony pissed off the wrong hackers with the GeoHot lawsuit.  MS could do the same thing at any time.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

And from the clues so far it looks like they were storing passwords in clear text.

http://www.darkreading.com/security/attacks-breaches/229402347/hack-of-playstation-network-threatens

Well that's retarded.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, wut?

Microsoft's service, since it is paid, is unhackable able to afford a far better security system, and being run by Microsoft it has endless backing for far superior systems all around then the free stuff offered by Sony. Duh.

Fixed.

No one said it was "unhackable" but shit like this wouldn't be happening.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be if they distributed the info.

The only way you can really hurt a company like Sony is to actually take the info, which gets them in hot water with the law because of lax security.

If you just break in and tell everyone how vulnerable they are, Sony will just lie and say they never really had access to the info.

Sony is the one who took the network down.  Sony is the one who has such a glaring hole in their security that its taking weeks to fix.  Sony is the one who fucked up with millions of peoples personal info.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, wut?

Microsoft's service, since it is paid, is unhackable able to afford a far better security system, and being run by Microsoft it has endless backing for far superior systems all around then the free stuff offered by Sony. Duh.

Fixed.

Sony has no problem affording anything, they simply didn't bother.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, wut?

Fixed.

There is a lot of truth in that. Why bother to pump large sums of money into something you offer for free.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Big deal.

The card you used for purchasing off the PSN, call that company and ask for a new one.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#26]
You get what you pay for. Oh wait, you don't pay for the use of the PSN....
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way you can really hurt a company like Sony is to actually take the info, which gets them in hot water with the law because of lax security.

If you just break in and tell everyone how vulnerable they are, Sony will just lie and say they never really had access to the info.

Sony is the one who took the network down.  Sony is the one who has such a glaring hole in their security that its taking weeks to fix.  Sony is the one who fucked up with millions of peoples personal info.

I read an article today that stated this has cost Sony $20,000,000 so far...

A senator has gotten involved and written a letter to Sony saying they're incompetent.

If this was payback for the Geohot incident... It's working.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Big deal.

The card you used for purchasing off the PSN, call that company and ask for a new one.

Problem solved.

Not so simple for most of the people.

Most people use the same password and username for multiple things, including their emails and online credit card banking and so now they have to go and change out the passwords for their emails, online banking, and credit cards.

On top of that you may start receiving an influx of spam mail at your home and email.

There is a whole world of inconvenience tied to this. Especially since Playstation decided to wait for almost a week after the leak before informing people. There could have been a load of harm already done in that week that could have been preventable if they had let people know sooner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Wii FTW?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Big deal.

Problem solved.

Most people use the same password and username for multiple things, including their emails and online credit card banking and so now they have to go and change out the passwords for their emails, online banking, and credit cards.

On top of that you may start receiving an influx of spam mail at your home and email.

There is a whole world of inconvenience tied to this. Especially since Playstation decided to wait for almost a week after the leak before informing people. There could have been a load of harm already done in that week that could have been preventable if they had let people know sooner.

Sony stated that they didn't have concrete evidence of what was leaked until Monday.

IMO they should have made a statement anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big deal.

Problem solved.

Sony stated that they didn't have concrete evidence of what was leaked until Monday.

IMO they should have made a statement anyhow.

Even without concrete evidence, if they had even an idea it MIGHT have happened they should have released a statement informing PSN users that their MAY have been a leak of data x y and z and the individuals could then take preemptive precautions if they desired.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#33]
this is why i buy my XBL membership and points cards from retail stores. MS doesn't have my credit card on file, only a shitty email address i never use and a three year old address.

PS3 has my one yahoo address, but no CC info, and an old address.

it's bad enough companies store your entire CC# when you DON'T tell them to, why would you consciously allow them to store your information is beyond me...
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

They tried to strong-arm someone and they were strong-armed back.

Karma is a sonuvabitch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]

LOL.  Truth hurts, eh?

I can't believe they were storing all that data as plain text.  How retarded is that?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big deal.

Problem solved.

Despite everyone and everything they've ever seen advising them not to.

You can lead a horse to water, if he fuckin' drowns that's his damn fault.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big deal.

Problem solved.

Despite everyone and everything they've ever seen advising them not to.

You can lead a horse to water, if he fuckin' drowns that's his damn fault.

FWIW,  77 million PSN users = low likelihood of any particular user being victimized in any way.

Even if the perp(s) were able to attempt fraudulent access to one million accounts, that's a 1 in 77 chance that they'd even attempt to access one of your accounts.

It's always best to err on the side of caution, but for the millions that do absolutely nothing in response to this news there's still only a small chance they'll actually be victimized because of it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It's always best to err on the side of caution, but for the millions that do absolutely nothing in response to this news there's still only a small chance they'll actually be victimized because of it.

I agree, was just sayin' that if ya need the peace of mind, make a phone call.

I've had a few cards hit, I guess I'm just used to it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

do your homework––many people have had the xbl accounts hacked––––just not on this high of a scale.

Uh, no. They may have given up a password or something via social engineering or a keylogger..but the Xbox Live network itself hasn't been hacked. You can't blame Live for individual users giving out passwords or other information to hackers that is used to compromise their accounts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are people that buy content from vendors on PSN.  You don't actually pay for the PSN network.  I have a PSN account but no financial information stored in it because I never bought anything.  That was a while back.  I havent had a playstation for a while.  Definitely glad I use Xbox Live.  I don't have a credit card on xbox live either.  I signed up using the live cards bought from Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I read an article today that stated this has cost Sony $20,000,000 so far...

A senator has gotten involved and written a letter to Sony saying they're incompetent.
If this was payback for the Geohot incident... It's working.

Any U.S. Senator calling someone else incompetent is a hoot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Class action lawsuit is beginning...

Sony should have left Geohot alone.

This is going to be expensive.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68260/sony-facing-class-action-suit
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68253/sony-clarifies-when-it-knew

Statement from Sony regarding when they learned of intrusion and when they announced.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, wut?

Fixed.

There is a lot of truth in that. Why bother to pump large sums of money into something you offer for free.

Because it's futile to compete when you are so outclassed?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Dammit they stole my password that I would have given them for free so they wouldn't have to pay $15 for a map pack.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's a gem from the guys over at Penny-Arcade:

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hacked get's thrown around way too much.  There have been a lot of people that have given their passwords out and in return had their account stollen, which is really different than having their account 'hacked'.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Xbox Live.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top