Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1877 of 5585)
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:

They significantly outrange the Russian arty so they should be practically immune to counter-battery fire depending on positioning.  That just leaves aviation, and I would have to think they will have plenty of manpads around for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Originally Posted By TAP:

That's why I'm curious to see how well the M777s really work out.  A newb crew that can be counterfired upon by artillery, drone, rotary wing, etc could very well limit the usefulness of them.  They are perfectly suitable for FOB defense or something like that where maneuver is not an option- but might not fare as well in the new Air/Land/Drone/Social Media operational environment this is being fought in.

ETA: I should add that if employed smartly (and their social media discipline continues), UKR can certainly reduce several of those risks- but reduce is not eliminate.

They significantly outrange the Russian arty so they should be practically immune to counter-battery fire depending on positioning.  That just leaves aviation, and I would have to think they will have plenty of manpads around for that.

The outrange the Russian weapons with specific munitions, I have not seen those munitions in the pictures of what has been provided.

A good rule of thumb if they are not shooting a base bleed or rocket assist variant.  The 777 has about a 22KM range and the 52 cal tubes guns around 34 KM with convention rounds and high charges.  As the range increases the need for mass increases to make up for natural dispersion unless guided rounds are used.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZbipO8vxM

Drone tech coming to a battlefield soon.
View Quote

This shit is the future and it's terrifying. In bulk those will probably be like 50 bucks a piece. You could deploy them in huge numbers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Anybody have any active Freqs on the WEBSDR?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
View Quote
If I had to guess, it's old training footage. I don't see anyone wearing armbands.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TapperMan:
Here's an article with some background on the drone-dropped grenades... How Ukraine Uses Obsolete Soviet Grenades To Destroy Russian Tanks From Above
View Quote

Very interesting.
I bet/hope US weapons labs are scrambling to produce our own improved version of that thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

This shit is the future and it's terrifying. In bulk those will probably be like 50 bucks a piece. You could deploy them in huge numbers.
View Quote

nets will be deployed around positions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

That's some scary shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

smart grenades
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

I’d bet a crisp $100 that those folks that got whacked knew of and were key players in Putin and team schemes that use Gazprom and related financial institutions to finance off-book activity. Some of them may have been turned and all of them were likely targets of intelligence services. Makes way more sense than those folks being involved in a coup.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Re: dead Oligarchs/execs this year, a majority of them from Gazprom

I've been trying to find any coherent info on this. Why wipe out the senior leadership of Gazprom?  Too west leaning, were they?

Some of the murders - several, were really revolting. They wiped out the whole families to make it look like a murder/suicide.  And sloppily. In one case, they wiped down the weapons to remove fingerprints. As all suicides do, of course...

In all the news, no real attention on this issue in the media.  I'm sure Interpol and others are working, but it's awfully weird and excessive even by Russian standards. An acquaintance of mine was assassinated in Russia several years ago - Paul Klebnikov who wrote for Forbes.  So I have always followed these stories - and this one is way weirder than any others as far as I can recall.

The FSB likely did this because they discovered these particular oligarchs were part of a group planning a coup.

The reason for staging it publicly like this has a reason too:  it is a warning to other coup plotters.

Or, someone else did it because they see that it's going to kill their business, and their future. How many people who never lived under the Soviet Union are now going crazy thinking that a bunch of old madmen are going to trash their whole scene, and maybe, think they'd be better off dead.

How would Antifa see this? BLM? You think these young communists actually believe anything the old school says? They would happily trash their own entire military to keep those guys from returning to power. Even Putin. They're going to kill him too.

They want to see this end. They want their freedom back. No one wants to listen to the blatantly dishonest government. Doesn't mean they're not good little commies. They're just not going to sit on their hands while these dying old men destroy their whole world without doing anything, and they are not stupid, but, disorganized.

They'll get better. And you'll get the fuck out of their way.

I’d bet a crisp $100 that those folks that got whacked knew of and were key players in Putin and team schemes that use Gazprom and related financial institutions to finance off-book activity. Some of them may have been turned and all of them were likely targets of intelligence services. Makes way more sense than those folks being involved in a coup.

Asking because I don't know: were the "Oligarchs" of the USSR the same class of people they are now?

I know there has always been corruption, but the way I understood it the Oligarchs of the past were all, or mostly, government officials, or directly involved with the USSR govt in some capacity. The collapse of the USSR allowed "private businessmen" (criminals) to amass huge amounts of wealth, and take "private" control of a lot of what used to be run by the government.

If Putin wants to return to pre-collapse USSR government control of EVERYTHING, I can see how modern Oligarchs would need to be eliminated. He can't have that much of the "means of production" in private hands - he needs to bring it all back under the umbrella of the state.

Between the risk of a coup or assassination, and simply retaking control of these assets, I'm not surprised these people are ending up dead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:50:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#11]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

That's some scary shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

That's some scary shit.

Broad spectrum signal-dampening area denial and countermeasures will be a thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I need to test my drone for load carrying capacity. I doubt it could carry anything heavier than a shotgun shell.
(dji mini clone)
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Yup..it is a scary where this tech is heading.

Imagine thousands of these swarming armed with an explosive charge.

Buzzing...then boom!
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
"It's impossible to watch this without tears..."NSFW, presumably Azov member that was supposed to be evac'd?  

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:06:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#15]

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:09:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#16]
ETA-
Beat.

Substitution tweet of little importance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
The sadness in her eyes

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#18]
"It's impossible to watch this without tears..."NSFW, presumably Azov member that was supposed to be evac'd?  

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:14:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dracster] [#20]
Prototype 2S22 Bohdana reportedly being used on the battlefield

Story

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

That guy is going to die without medical attention. Look at the wrapped up arm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#23]

View Quote
The aspect of the target changes more than 45 degrees, there's no wake and it's not heeling hard over so that seems to be all from the drone circling around, at the 100km range they estimated (how?) that means the drone did at least 78km circumference of that circle over 37 seconds, or 7,600 kph.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Very interesting.
I bet/hope US weapons labs are scrambling to produce our own improved version of that thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By TapperMan:
Here's an article with some background on the drone-dropped grenades... How Ukraine Uses Obsolete Soviet Grenades To Destroy Russian Tanks From Above

Very interesting.

Bro. Our labs are not scrambling for this shit technology..we are light fucking years ahead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1994LC3X:

smart grenades
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1994LC3X:

smart grenades

Like a flying XM25?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By R0N:

The outrange the Russian weapons with specific munitions, I have not seen those munitions in the pictures of what has been provided.

A good rule of thumb if they are not shooting a base bleed or rocket assist variant.  The 777 has about a 22KM range and the 52 cal tubes guns around 34 KM with convention rounds and high charges.  As the range increases the need for mass increases to make up for natural dispersion unless guided rounds are used.
View Quote

Fascinating. This helps explain my impression that the Euros often had the longer-caliber tubes, and we seemed to prefer shorter ones; range isn't as valuable to us if the tradeoff is that you have to ship in tons more ammunition.

And (I assume) that's a much different cost for us, having to fly or float our ammo overseas, vs the Euros who could deliver by truck or rail (and doing expeditionary anything much less often as well).

Or perhaps we are just over-due for upgrades, I dunno. Everyone seems to be talking about ultra-long-range fires these days, but I"m not savvy on that world.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:27:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#29]
Russian Campaign Assessment, May 5
May 5, 2022 - Press ISW

Kateryna Stepanenko, Mason Clark, and George Barros

May 5, 7:00 pm ET

The Ukrainian counteroffensive out of Kharkiv city may disrupt Russian forces northeast of Kharkiv and will likely force Russian forces to decide whether to reinforce positions near Kharkiv or risk losing most or all of their positions within artillery range of the city. Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief Valerii Zalyzhnyi stated on May 5 that Ukrainian forces are transitioning to counteroffensive operations around Kharkiv and Izyum, the first direct Ukrainian military statement of a shift to offensive operations. Ukrainian forces did not make any confirmed advances in the last 24 hours but repelled Russian attempts to regain lost positions. Russian forces made few advances in continued attacks in eastern Ukraine, and Ukrainian forces may be able to build their ongoing counterattacks and successful repulse of Russian attacks along the Izyum axis into a wider counteroffensive to retake Russian-occupied territory in Kharkiv Oblast.

Key Takeaways

Russian forces continued ineffectual offensive operations in southern Kharkiv, Donetsk, and Luhansk oblasts without securing any significant territorial gains in the past 24 hours.
   Ukrainian officials and military officers confirmed that Russian forces have breached the Azovstal facility itself and confirmed that Ukrainian forces are losing ground. Russian forces will likely capture the facility in the coming days.
   Ukrainian offensive operations around Kharkiv likely intend to push Russian forces out of artillery range of Kharkiv city, force Russian units to redeploy from the Izyum axis, and potentially threaten Russian lines of communication.
   Russian forces conducted limited offensive operations toward Zaporizhia City but did not conduct any attacks in Kherson and Mykolaiv oblasts in the last 24 hours. Ukrainian forces claimed to recapture additional territory west of Kherson, but ISW cannot independently confirm any advances.

We do not report in detail on Russian war crimes because those activities are well-covered in Western media and do not directly affect the military operations we are assessing and forecasting. We will continue to evaluate and report on the effects of these criminal activities on the Ukrainian military and population and specifically on combat in Ukrainian urban areas. We utterly condemn these Russian violations of the laws of armed conflict, Geneva Conventions, and humanity even though we do not describe them in these reports.

ISW has updated the structure of its discussion of the primary efforts Russian forces are currently engaging in. The main Russian effort is concentrated in eastern Ukraine and includes one subordinate main effort and four supporting efforts. The subordinate main effort is the encirclement of Ukrainian troops in the cauldron formed between the Izyum-Slovyansk highway and the Kreminna-Rubizhne-Popasna frontline in Luhansk. The four supporting efforts are: completing the seizure of Mariupol, retaining pressure on Kharkiv City, holding occupied territory on the Southern Axis, and threatening northeastern Ukraine from Russian and Belarusian territory.

ISW has updated its assessment of the five primary efforts Russian forces are engaged in at this time:

Main effort—Eastern Ukraine (comprised of one subordinate and four supporting efforts);
   Subordinate main effort- Encirclement of Ukrainian troops in the cauldron between Izyum and Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts
   Supporting effort 1—Mariupol;
   Supporting effort 2—Kharkiv City;
   Supporting effort 3—Southern axis;
   Supporting effort 4—Sumy and northeastern Ukraine.

Main Effort—Eastern Ukraine

Subordinate Main Effort—Southern Kharkiv, Donetsk, Luhansk Oblasts (Russian objective: Encircle Ukrainian forces in Eastern Ukraine and capture the entirety of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts, the claimed territory of Russia’s proxies in Donbas)

Russian forces continued ineffectual offensive operations in southern Kharkiv, Donetsk, and Luhansk Oblasts without securing any significant territorial gains in the past 24 hours. The Pentagon assessed that Russian forces have not been able to make further advances due to their inability to conduct offensive operations far from their ground lines of communication (GLOCs) along highways, as ISW previously assessed, and muddy terrain.[1] Russian GLOCs supporting the Izyum axis likely run from the Russian border to Kupyansk and Vovchansk, and local Kharkiv civilian authorities reported additional Russian reinforcements moving through these settlements towards the front line as of May 5.[2] Russian forces are reportedly suffering losses in stalled attacks along the Izyum axis, with the Ukrainian General Staff reporting that elements of the 4th Tank Division and the 106th Airborne Division withdrew to Russia after sustaining heavy losses in the past several days.[3]

Russian forces conducted unsuccessful attacks in Lyman, Severodonetsk, and Popasna, and maintained shelling along the line of contact in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts.[4]  Russian forces also used thermobaric munitions against Ukrainian positions in Lyman and are unsuccessfully attempting to leverage massed artillery fire to break through Ukrainian defenses.[5] Russian forces targeted grain facilities in Rubizhne and Soledar, a settlement located approximately 30 kilometers from Popasna, likely to deprive Ukrainian forces and civilians of supplies.[6] The Donetsk People’s Republic claimed to have seized Troitske (a village approximately 25 kilometers from occupied Horlivka) on May 5, but social media imagery confirmed that Ukrainian artillery inflicted heavy damage on Russian munitions depots, tanks, and armored personnel carriers in the area.[7]

Supporting Effort #1—Mariupol (Russian objective: Capture Mariupol and reduce the Ukrainian defenders)

Russian forces continued assaults on the Azovstal Steel Plant with supporting airstrikes and naval artillery on May 5. Ukrainian officials and military officers confirmed that Russian forces have breached the Azovstal facility itself and that Ukrainian forces are losing ground.[9] Azov Regiment Deputy Commander Svyatoslav Palamar released a video on Telegram reporting the current Russian assault began on May 3 and confirmed that Russian forces are inside the facility.[10] Palamar said the remaining defenders and civilians were unable to evacuate on May 5, despite reports from the Ukrainian government that Russian and Ukrainian forces agreed to a ceasefire in Mariupol between May 5 and May 7.[11] Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that 344 Mariupol residents, including over 150 evacuees from Azovstal, evacuated on May 4.[12] Russian forces will likely completely capture the Azovstal facility in the coming days, but Ukrainian forces have successfully tied down and degraded large numbers of Russian forces in Mariupol for several months.

Supporting Effort #2—Kharkiv City (Russian objective: Continue to pressure Kharkiv City to fix Ukrainian defenders there and prevent their movement to reinforce defenders on other axes.)

Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief Valerii Zalyzhnyi stated on May 5 that Ukrainian forces are transitioning to counteroffensive operations around Kharkiv and Izyum, the first direct Ukrainian military statement of a shift to offensive operations.[13] Ukrainian forces likely intend to push Russian forces out of artillery range of Kharkiv city, force Russian units to redeploy from the Izyum axis, and potentially threaten Russian lines of communication. Ukrainian forces did not make any confirmed advances in the last 24 hours but repelled Russian attempts to regain lost positions. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Russian forces conducted an unsuccessful assault on Stary Saltiv (approximately 40 kilometers east of Kharkiv City) on May 5, after Ukrainian forces liberated the settlement on May 2.[14] Russian forces also reconnoitered Ukrainian positions and continued to shell Ukrainian positions in the northeastern outskirts of Kharkiv City.[15] Pro-Russian sources claimed that Ukrainian forces blew up a bridge near the occupied settlement of Cherkaski Tishki, approximately 25 kilometers northeast of Kharkiv City, which could indicate an ongoing Ukrainian counterattack in the area targeting the bridge to interdict Russian movements.[16]

Supporting Effort #3—Southern Axis (Objective: Defend Kherson against Ukrainian counterattacks)

Russian forces continued offensive operations toward Zaporizhia City but did not conduct any attacks in Kherson and Mykolaiv oblasts on May 5.[17] Ukraine’s Zaporizhia Oblast Military Administration reported that Russian forces attacked Hulyaipole, near the Donetsk Oblast border, throughout the day.[18] The Administration additionally stated up to 13 battalion tactical groups are concentrated on this line of advance toward Zaporizhia City or the Donetsk Oblast administrative borders from the west, though these battalion tactical groups (BTGs) are almost certainly understrength.[19] Zaporizhia authorities noted that Russian forces operating in the region are more cautious than during the initial stage of the war and are increasing their use of reconnaissance assets.[20]

Russian forces did not conduct offensive operations in Kherson or Mykolaiv oblasts.[21] The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces liberated unspecified villages along the border between Kherson and Mykolaiv oblasts on May 5, but ISW cannot independently these claims.[22] Ukraine’s Operational Command South reported that Ukrainian forces successfully pushed Russian forces around 20 kilometers away from Mykolaiv City, possibly indicating that these liberated villages are in northwestern Kherson Oblast, though we have previously assessed that Ukrainian forces have taken most territory within this 20km arc and have not updated our maps with this Ukrainian claim.[23] Russian authorities in occupied Crimea claimed on May 5 that Russian forces restored railway connections between Crimea and Kherson Oblast for cargo and passenger trains, likely to improve logistics on the southern front.[24]

Transnistrian media reported unspecified indiscriminate shooting near the Kuchurhan-Pervomaisc border checkpoint with Ukraine on May 5, two days after Ukraine blocked the crossing.[25] Transnistrian media claimed that Ukrainian forces are conducting military exercises in Pavlivka, a village on the Ukrainian-Moldovan border. Transnistrian Foreign Minister Vitaliy Ignatiev also claimed that Transnistrian forces neutralized another Ukrainian drone on May 5.[26] ISW cannot independently verify any of these Transnistrian claims. Ukraine’s Operational Command South reported that the Transnistrian border is stable and that Ukrainian forces are taking counter-sabotage measures.[27] Russian forces and their Transnistrian proxy will likely continue to stage provocations to threaten Ukrainian forces with the possibility of a military operation out of Transnistria to fix Ukrainian forces in Odesa in place.

Supporting Effort #4—Sumy and Northeastern Ukraine: (Russian objective: Withdraw combat power in good order for redeployment to eastern Ukraine)

The Ukrainian General Staff reported that some unidentified Belarusian units increased their combat readiness amid ongoing snap exercises on May 5.[28] Belarusian social media users spotted Belarusian forces deploying military equipment in the direction of Pinsk, a settlement near western Ukraine and on the way to Brest.[29] Belarusian forces remain highly unlikely to enter the war in Ukraine and likely aim to pin Ukrainian forces in place by threatening further action.

Immediate items to watch

Russian forces will likely continue to merge offensive efforts southward of Izyum with westward advances from Donetsk in order to encircle Ukrainian troops in southern Kharkiv Oblast and Western Donetsk.
   Russia may change the status of the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics, possibly by merging them into a single “Donbas Republic” and/or by annexing them directly to Russia.
   Russian forces have apparently decided to seize the Azovstal plant through ground assault and will likely continue operations accordingly.
   Ukrainian counteroffensives around Kharkiv City may unhinge Russian positions northeast of the city, possibly forcing the Russians to choose between reinforcing those positions or abandoning them if the Ukrainians continue to press their counterattack.
   Russian forces may be preparing to conduct renewed offensive operations to capture the entirety of Kherson Oblast in the coming days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Daily Mirror article on the possible Russian frigate loss.

ByWill StewartRussia CorrespondentKieren WilliamsNews Reporter
11:39, 6 May 2022
UPDATED15:11, 6 May 2022

Russia's massive Admiral Makarov warship has reportedly been hit by Ukrainian missiles causing it to burst into flames.

The Admiral Grigorovich-class frigate was on fire this morning in what would be a fresh blow for warmonger Vladimir Putin, a number of reports have said.

It was said to be close to Snake Island in the Black Sea, where a rescue operation was underway involving multiple aircrafts and rescue boats.

Ukrainian MP Oleksiy Goncharenko took to his Telegram channel to report the ship had been hit by Ukrainian neptune missiles.

He said that the ship had been hit by Ukrainian attacks and was "badly damaged", but remained afloat for now.

In his post, he wrote: "There is new information about another failure of the Russian fleet near our shores.

"Unofficial Russian sources report that the newest missile frigate Admiral Makarov is in trouble.

"It is equipped with modern air defence systems and is armed with Kalibr cruise missiles. Or was.

"According to preliminary information, the frigate was unable to dodge the Ukrainian Neptune anti-ship missile.

"The ship is badly damaged, but remains afloat. For now. We wait."

His reports were backed up by Ukrainian official Anton Gerashchenko who said: "Admiral Makarov frigate is on fire off the coast of Snake Island.
He added: "According to preliminary data, the ship was hit by Ukrainian Neptune missiles.

"Now enemy aviation is operating in the ship's disaster zone, and ships of the Russian Navy have come out of the temporarily occupied Crimea to help the sinking ship."

Alongside that, a number of unconfirmed reports said the warship was hit by Ukrainian missiles near the Sevastopol naval plant in Crimea, on the Black Sea.

However Dumskaya, a prominent local news outlet from Odessa, reported: "The Operational Command South has not yet confirmed the defeat of an enemy ship near Snake island."

The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine added a '+1' to their boats column in their daily report on Russian losses this morning, which they tweeted out.

The Admiral Makarov is one of just three frigates of its class active in the Black Sea.

They added that Ukrainian planes were flying overhead with a rescue operation ongoing and that satellite images from the area seemingly confirmed the ship was burning.

The significant damage to the Admiral Makarov would be a serious blow to Putin's forces.

Commissioned in only 2017, the Makarov is one of Russia's most modern combat warships and carries a crew of around 200 people it is thought.

It is now one of the largest frigates Russia can currently make because Moscow traditionally has gotten its big marines engines from Ukraine.

It is armed with Kalibr missiles as well as torpedoes, a Ka-27 or Ka-31 helicopter and an Orlan-10 military drones.

Flight trackers show a number of aircrafts and drones circling over the area of the Black Sea.

A report in Forbes said that Russian commanders were aware that the Admiral Makarov would be a Ukrainian target now.

It said: "In any event, it's apparent Russian fleet commanders appreciate the danger.

"There's evidence Admiral Makarov's skipper has been taking pains to keep her away from the Ukrainian coast."

There are videos circulating on social media that claim to show the frigate going up in flames.

This fresh blow comes not long after Russia's Black Sea flagship, the Moskva, was sunk.

Moscow belatedly admitted one of their key warships went down, and in operation it had a crew of around 500 people.

After being damaged by Ukrainian attacks, the Soviet-era ship was being towed back towards port.

The Kremlin refused to acknowledge that the ship was attacked, causing its damage, instead claiming it was an explosion of ammunitions on board.

This comes as Russia's invasion of Ukraine continues well into its third month after beginning on February 24.

Naval battles in the Black Sea have been one of a number of key battlegrounds as Russia seeks to secure parts of the Ukrainian coast.

The port city Mariupol has become a key flashpoint of this battle, and was the target of relentless Russian air attacks.

Now, the last Ukrainian stronghold is in a metal works which continues to be under attack from Putin's forces.
View Quote

Russia's Admiral Makarov warship 'on fire after being hit by Ukrainian missile'
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

That is aweful. Fuckin hate the russians.  I wish they could get those boys out of there..
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
The aspect of the target changes more than 45 degrees, there's no wake and it's not heeling hard over so that seems to be all from the drone circling around, at the 100km range they estimated (how?) that means the drone did at least 78km circumference of that circle over 37 seconds, or 7,600 kph.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:

Yup. I don't know how he came up with the 100km range though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I appreciate the warnings on these videos. Some of this stuff I don't need to see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Question: Most Ukrainian battlefield videos show the targets being hit.  Most Russian videos show nice crisp and clear tanks/artillery shooting but no battlefield damage.  Is this just a random occurrence, media preference or is it simply because the Russians do not have enough drone surveillance to know if they hit their targets?

If the latter, it tells me the Russians are firing blindly whereas the Ukrainians would very likely be much more accurate.

Thanks to anyone with a professional point of view on this.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#38]
When A Volunteer Battalion Returns From Ukraine's Front Line

This Is What Happens When A Volunteer Battalion Returns From Ukraine's Front Line
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#39]
https://t.me/newsvoyna1/6497

Ukraine has become the owner of a multispectral optical satellite and receives exclusive satellite data from GEOSAT 2 - this is stated in a press release from EOS, owned by businessman Max Polyakov.

The satellite is in orbit and allows to receive data with ultra-high resolution, previously inaccessible to Ukraine.

It also provides the opportunity to take pictures at a distance of 100 kilometers from the state borders of Ukraine

"Now I have a satellite Ho, Ho Ho" ?

View Quote

This appears to be the Makarov on fire
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#40]
The Ukrainian National Guard unpacking a rare US-made Precision Shoulder-fired Rocket Launcher-1

The PSRL-1 is an upgraded version of the Russian RPG-7 anti-tank hand grenade launcher and features reduced weight, as well as the ability to mount modern sights and use specially designed improved ammunition.

Part of the PSRL-1 was captured by soldiers of the 9th Marine Regiment of the DPR in Mariupol and used against their former owners
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Holy shit.  That's crazy!  Those are the Russian tip of the spear boys
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

If real those are bad fires.  Going to need a 3rd flagship.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:

A few of them detonate to pop a hole in the net and the rest swarm in.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

Yup..it is a scary where this tech is heading.

Imagine thousands of these swarming armed with an explosive charge.

Buzzing...then boom!
View Quote
They already have several versions. Deployed from 40mm grenade launchers. Drone40 is one that comes to mind, there's another designed by a firm in FL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:

Mike
View All Quotes

Mike
We're calling that one fake for the moment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Fascinating. This helps explain my impression that the Euros often had the longer-caliber tubes, and we seemed to prefer shorter ones; range isn't as valuable to us if the tradeoff is that you have to ship in tons more ammunition.

And (I assume) that's a much different cost for us, having to fly or float our ammo overseas, vs the Euros who could deliver by truck or rail (and doing expeditionary anything much less often as well).

Or perhaps we are just over-due for upgrades, I dunno. Everyone seems to be talking about ultra-long-range fires these days, but I"m not savvy on that world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Originally Posted By R0N:

The 39 caliber tubes on our 155mm is a legacy of the end of the cold war, at the end of the cold war there was not imputus to increase range and we stuck to that length.   Our future proposed guns have 55 caliber tubes
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: McCandles] [#48]

Mike
View All Quotes

Mike

Delete
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

Asking because I don't know: were the "Oligarchs" of the USSR the same class of people they are now?

I know there has always been corruption, but the way I understood it the Oligarchs of the past were all, or mostly, government officials, or directly involved with the USSR govt in some capacity. The collapse of the USSR allowed "private businessmen" (criminals) to amass huge amounts of wealth, and take "private" control of a lot of what used to be run by the government.

If Putin wants to return to pre-collapse USSR government control of EVERYTHING, I can see how modern Oligarchs would need to be eliminated. He can't have that much of the "means of production" in private hands - he needs to bring it all back under the umbrella of the state.

Between the risk of a coup or assassination, and simply retaking control of these assets, I'm not surprised these people are ending up dead.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunner226:
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Re: dead Oligarchs/execs this year, a majority of them from Gazprom

I've been trying to find any coherent info on this. Why wipe out the senior leadership of Gazprom?  Too west leaning, were they?

Some of the murders - several, were really revolting. They wiped out the whole families to make it look like a murder/suicide.  And sloppily. In one case, they wiped down the weapons to remove fingerprints. As all suicides do, of course...

In all the news, no real attention on this issue in the media.  I'm sure Interpol and others are working, but it's awfully weird and excessive even by Russian standards. An acquaintance of mine was assassinated in Russia several years ago - Paul Klebnikov who wrote for Forbes.  So I have always followed these stories - and this one is way weirder than any others as far as I can recall.

The FSB likely did this because they discovered these particular oligarchs were part of a group planning a coup.

The reason for staging it publicly like this has a reason too:  it is a warning to other coup plotters.

Or, someone else did it because they see that it's going to kill their business, and their future. How many people who never lived under the Soviet Union are now going crazy thinking that a bunch of old madmen are going to trash their whole scene, and maybe, think they'd be better off dead.

How would Antifa see this? BLM? You think these young communists actually believe anything the old school says? They would happily trash their own entire military to keep those guys from returning to power. Even Putin. They're going to kill him too.

They want to see this end. They want their freedom back. No one wants to listen to the blatantly dishonest government. Doesn't mean they're not good little commies. They're just not going to sit on their hands while these dying old men destroy their whole world without doing anything, and they are not stupid, but, disorganized.

They'll get better. And you'll get the fuck out of their way.

Yes and no. Lots of former FSB types in charge today, some are out in plain view and some are less publicly known.

Previously it seems like there were more institutions and centers/lines of power in the USSR compared to today where Putin exclusively controls the entire Russian oligarchy and nation.

Soviet leaders could not operate in a completely unbounded manner or else others with power might find a way to conspire, knock them off, and take over (look at what happened to the Soviet leaders down the line…). Party > leader.

Putin appears only to be bounded by 1) himself and 2) major structural bottlenecks.

For all intents and purposes, Putin is the Tsar of Russia.

Today, Oligarchs only have power because Putin gave it to them to use on his behalf. Putin never lost control of the assets, the institutions, etc. Today, it is his world over there and the rest of Russia is just living in it. Leader > party/institutions/nation/people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

And Madman Theory only works if people believe actors are irrational.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

You're about 55 years too late to join Patton and MacArthur with that opinion.
These days, MAD is a thing.

MAD only works with rational actors.

And Madman Theory only works if people believe actors are irrational.

Yup, and therein lies the rub…
Page / 5585
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1877 of 5585)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top