Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1876 of 5588)
Page / 5588
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

If seems the reports of an orc frigate being hit might have been correct after all... Fingers crossed!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLurker] [#2]
Lots of people speculating, but not any hard confirmation so far. Some OSINT and ua media have tweeted it, and ua has included a new ship in their daily kill tally.

I'm mildly hopeful, but could be disappointed yet.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

Re: dead Oligarchs/execs this year, a majority of them from Gazprom

I've been trying to find any coherent info on this. Why wipe out the senior leadership of Gazprom?  Too west leaning, were they?

Some of the murders - several, were really revolting. They wiped out the whole families to make it look like a murder/suicide.  And sloppily. In one case, they wiped down the weapons to remove fingerprints. As all suicides do, of course...

In all the news, no real attention on this issue in the media.  I'm sure Interpol and others are working, but it's awfully weird and excessive even by Russian standards. An acquaintance of mine was assassinated in Russia several years ago - Paul Klebnikov who wrote for Forbes.  So I have always followed these stories - and this one is way weirder than any others as far as I can recall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've been trying to find any coherent info on this. Why wipe out the senior leadership of Gazprom?  Too west leaning, were they?

Some of the murders - several, were really revolting. They wiped out the whole families to make it look like a murder/suicide.  And sloppily. In one case, they wiped down the weapons to remove fingerprints. As all suicides do, of course...

In all the news, no real attention on this issue in the media.  I'm sure Interpol and others are working, but it's awfully weird and excessive even by Russian standards. An acquaintance of mine was assassinated in Russia several years ago - Paul Klebnikov who wrote for Forbes.  So I have always followed these stories - and this one is way weirder than any others as far as I can recall.

Could be like the “war” over Russian aluminum companies in the mid 1990s
Company executives and plant managers were getting whacked left and right.   Taken out to the forest on some dirt road and shot in the back of the head and left in a ditch along the road usually.
Apparently that deripaska guy was making lots of moves to take over the industry, as he’s the one who came out on top
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Talk is cheap. Those units aren't. Send the units, then talk. And hurry up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"Germany plans to supply COBRA counter-battery radars to Ukraine

Germany is considering the transfer of COBRA radar systems to Ukraine, which will detect enemy artillery. COBRA is considered to be the world's most advanced ground-based weapons detection system

The Government of Ukraine has invited 40 units. The cost of each is about 50 million euros."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-05-05_08-48-01_jpg-2372840.JPG

Talk is cheap. Those units aren't. Send the units, then talk. And hurry up.

They really need a couple Patriot missile batteries.
Positioned in safe territory and just within range of Mariupol for now
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of people speculating, but not any hard confirmation so far. Some OSINT and ua media have tweeted it, and ua has included a new ship in their daily kill tally.

View Quote

most other reports say it was a Admiral Grigorovich-class frigate
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
There’s a lot of ISR up at the moment
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

View All Quotes

Apparently they're also known as a krivak iv.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
There’s a lot of ISR up at the moment
View Quote

There is. 2 rivet joints, a jstars and 2 e3`s. 1 R 135 and both e3`s in vicinity of reported frigate to submarine conversion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Ah, I see thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
A couple of years ago, I was on a serious YouTube bender on agricultural machinery. I watched this documentary about a German guy married to a Russian woman that was leasing a huge former collective farm to grow wheat. Several things stuck with me, so I was just in the process of watching it again. The salient points that make Russia unique:
1) After they leave field, the grain transports have to be weighed when they come back to the farm. Too many of the drivers like to steal grain for their own use like animal feed.
2) He has to hire a security guard because his equipment is constantly in danger of being stolen.
3) He is a typical German - exacting in his calculations, efficiency, productivity numbers, etc. Russians? Let's just say they aren't that way.
4) You NEVER pay a Russian by the hour if you want to get things done. They will do everything but work and have to be bitched at constantly.
5) Because of the inherent intransigence by the established Kholkoz workers, they like hiring people who have had no prior experience and no prior bad habits.
6) German efficiency has enabled never before heard of productivity and that's why they like foreigners to do these kind of upgrades to ancient methods that haven't seen improvement in forever.
7) When a combine harvester goes down, he was used to having a replacement part in 2-3 hours. In Russia, no one cared if it sat broken for several days. That's changing - see below.

The other thing that was very interesting is that the Russians are really getting in big with western machinery. Russian farm equipment sucks. Our stuff is expensive, but when you take into account the efficiency it brings with it, there's no comparison. Deere, Claas, Fendt, etc. etc. That video was shot in 2019. Now imagine that most of those businesses have stopped doing business with Russia. No more parts - and equipment like that which is used constantly breaks a lot. That's going to mess up Russian agriculture pretty severely I would think.
View Quote

That’s great insight.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Capta:
Kremlin mouthpiece denies national mobilization:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-dismisses-speculation-putin-declare-war-ukraine-may-9-2022-05-04/

Job openings for “mobilization experts” allegedly being posted on Russian job search sites:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/uj41b1/kevin_rothrock_despite_the_kremlin_spox_saying/
View Quote

When have we heard that before? Maybe ask Uncle Joe?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Whatever it is, there's too many of them still afloat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

The FSB likely did this because they discovered these particular oligarchs were part of a group planning a coup.

The reason for staging it publicly like this has a reason too:  it is a warning to other coup plotters.
View All Quotes

The FSB likely did this because they discovered these particular oligarchs were part of a group planning a coup.

The reason for staging it publicly like this has a reason too:  it is a warning to other coup plotters.

Or, someone else did it because they see that it's going to kill their business, and their future. How many people who never lived under the Soviet Union are now going crazy thinking that a bunch of old madmen are going to trash their whole scene, and maybe, think they'd be better off dead.

How would Antifa see this? BLM? You think these young communists actually believe anything the old school says? They would happily trash their own entire military to keep those guys from returning to power. Even Putin. They're going to kill him too.

They want to see this end. They want their freedom back. No one wants to listen to the blatantly dishonest government. Doesn't mean they're not good little commies. They're just not going to sit on their hands while these dying old men destroy their whole world without doing anything, and they are not stupid, but, disorganized.

They'll get better. And you'll get the fuck out of their way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
pretty sure they have Harpoons from the Britts as well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Can somebody help me out here? I have no idea how big or important a frigate is, or how important this one is relative to the russian navy. When they took out the flag ship/command control ship, it was easy enough for me to understand what that is.

It's a smaller ship, but still capable of launching cruise missiles. All Russia can build is smaller ships now if they can build any that is. This is a pretty big win for Ukraine if true. That's one less missile launching platform to terrorize apartment complex hi rises. It put the others on notice too. I'd guess a naval landing / invasion of Odessa is off the table now that the Neptune missiles are in play.

IF true

Have the Brits actually said they were sending Harpoons? I have only seen them say they were sending "anti-ship missiles". People assumed that meant Harpoons.

If they were to send Harpoons, then how is Ukraine going to target and launch them? They have no ships or aircraft that can carry them and Boeing is still working on the land based system that Taiwan has ordered.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

Have the Brits actually said they were sending Harpoons? I have only seen them say they were sending "anti-ship missiles". People assumed that meant Harpoons.

If they were to send Harpoons, then how is Ukraine going to target and launch them? They have no ships or aircraft that can carry them and Boeing is still working on the land based system that Taiwan has ordered.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2A373:
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Can somebody help me out here? I have no idea how big or important a frigate is, or how important this one is relative to the russian navy. When they took out the flag ship/command control ship, it was easy enough for me to understand what that is.

It's a smaller ship, but still capable of launching cruise missiles. All Russia can build is smaller ships now if they can build any that is. This is a pretty big win for Ukraine if true. That's one less missile launching platform to terrorize apartment complex hi rises. It put the others on notice too. I'd guess a naval landing / invasion of Odessa is off the table now that the Neptune missiles are in play.

IF true

They did send the sea spear variant of Brimstone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#20]
ETA- DISREGARD THIS

Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Comments are saying that’s a sat radar image, not heat. The generation of satellite that took that pic can’t detect heat. The later gens can

Edit: and if you click enough, the original Twitter links to a redaction/correction
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Possible actual images.
View Quote
Those look like old pics from February/early March.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Researchers teach swarm of drones to navigate forest without crashing

Drone tech coming to a battlefield soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Those look like old pics from February/early March.
View Quote

Yeah, sketchy. Independent published after and did not include any of that.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:07:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#24]
View Quote

Comments are saying that’s a sat radar image, not heat. The generation of satellite that took that pic can’t detect heat. The later gens can

Edit: and if you click enough, the original Twitter links to a redaction/correction
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:10:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#25]
mis-read
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:11:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#26]
Lol drink your coffee
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Something is on fire off Odessa though:

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CS223] [#29]
https://t.me/newsvoyna1/6497

Ukraine has become the owner of a multispectral optical satellite and receives exclusive satellite data from GEOSAT 2 - this is stated in a press release from EOS, owned by businessman Max Polyakov.

The satellite is in orbit and allows to receive data with ultra-high resolution, previously inaccessible to Ukraine.

It also provides the opportunity to take pictures at a distance of 100 kilometers from the state borders of Ukraine

"Now I have a satellite Ho, Ho Ho" ?

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Come on y'all!

Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) Lyrics by Backstreet Boys
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:26:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#31]

View Quote

That’s a little boat. Like a patrol craft laying down a white smoke screen. No black smoke and it’s not a large surface combatant.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kncook:

That’s a little boat. Like a patrol craft laying down a white smoke screen. No black smoke and it’s not a large surface combatant.
View All Quotes

Or trying to limp away with a blown engine, LOL
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Accidents happen in "rough" seas. Look what happened to the Moskva...
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#34]
View Quote

Special ammo made only by the Swiss?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TAP:

That's why I'm curious to see how well the M777s really work out.  A newb crew that can be counterfired upon by artillery, drone, rotary wing, etc could very well limit the usefulness of them.  They are perfectly suitable for FOB defense or something like that where maneuver is not an option- but might not fare as well in the new Air/Land/Drone/Social Media operational environment this is being fought in.

ETA: I should add that if employed smartly (and their social media discipline continues), UKR can certainly reduce several of those risks- but reduce is not eliminate.
View Quote

They significantly outrange the Russian arty so they should be practically immune to counter-battery fire depending on positioning.  That just leaves aviation, and I would have to think they will have plenty of manpads around for that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

https://www.tiktok.com/@6663edik1/video/7094327443808472326?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

https://www.tiktok.com/@6663edik1/video/7094325569768230150?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:59:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#37]

https://www.tiktok.com/@6663edik1/video/7094327443808472326?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

https://www.tiktok.com/@6663edik1/video/7094325569768230150?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

Still looks no bigger than a tug boat/shrimp trawler type.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Kremlin talking about who knew about the war

"Therefore, of course, always, such classified information is introduced to a very, very limited circle of people. This is absolutely normal practice," presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, commenting on media reports that Vladimir Putin's alleged "inner circle" was not informed about the start of the special operation.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Element94:

He needs to get dead in Russia then. CIA needs to feed the Ukes his coordinates.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Element94:

That dude isn’t leaving Russia. He’d be dead in 24hrs in Ukraine lol.

Maybe he will request them to loot tractors OTHER than ones that can be remotely bricked this time lol.

He needs to get dead in Russia then. CIA needs to feed the Ukes his coordinates.

The boys in the Mansour and Dudayev battalions have plans for him once the war is won in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Holy shit. That's a lot of hate right there. Can't imagine being anywhere near the impact area of all of that outgoing steel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
I hope we get some real nice high quality footage of a regimental fire mission of UKR arty fucking shit up.  Heres a USMC regimental fire mission in April of 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYR-H4Hgoz8
Holy shit. That's a lot of hate right there. Can't imagine being anywhere near the impact area of all of that outgoing steel.

Every round in that mission was DPICM too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:16:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#44]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://t.me/newsvoyna1/6497

Ukraine has become the owner of a multispectral optical satellite and receives exclusive satellite data from GEOSAT 2 - this is stated in a press release from EOS, owned by businessman Max Polyakov.

The satellite is in orbit and allows to receive data with ultra-high resolution, previously inaccessible to Ukraine.

It also provides the opportunity to take pictures at a distance of 100 kilometers from the state borders of Ukraine

"Now I have a satellite Ho, Ho Ho" ?

View Quote
Yippee Ki yay!
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Here's an article with some background on the drone-dropped grenades... How Ukraine Uses Obsolete Soviet Grenades To Destroy Russian Tanks From Above
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#47]

President Zelensky signed a law on de-Sovietization of Ukrainian legislation

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky signed the law "On de-Sovietization of the legislation of Ukraine", said the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Ruslan Stefanchuk.

"Well, now in the legislation of Ukraine there is no mention of the "victories of the Great October Socialist Revolution"; there is no desire to put into practice "Lenin's ideas of building a communist society"; there are no references to programs developed by the Communist Party; there is no priority in the rights of Komsomol members, communists and other "comrades"; Almost 1200 acts of state authorities and administration of the USSR, the Ukrainian SSR were "cleaned up", Stefanchuk wrote on Facebook on Friday.

He said that according to the law, the Cabinet of Ministers was instructed in the near future to carry out a similar de-Sovietization at its level, as well as to prepare new Labor Code, Housing Code and Code on Administrative Offenses.

"Together we have done what people's deputies could not do in the previous 30 years of independence," the speaker of the parliament summed up.

https://www.facebook.com/stefanchuk.official/posts/410057600941084

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Translation: The hero of one of our reports, the tanker Damir Shaimardanov, died. He died heroically, leading the attack on the village.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

Or, someone else did it because they see that it's going to kill their business, and their future. How many people who never lived under the Soviet Union are now going crazy thinking that a bunch of old madmen are going to trash their whole scene, and maybe, think they'd be better off dead.

How would Antifa see this? BLM? You think these young communists actually believe anything the old school says? They would happily trash their own entire military to keep those guys from returning to power. Even Putin. They're going to kill him too.

They want to see this end. They want their freedom back. No one wants to listen to the blatantly dishonest government. Doesn't mean they're not good little commies. They're just not going to sit on their hands while these dying old men destroy their whole world without doing anything, and they are not stupid, but, disorganized.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

I’d bet a crisp $100 that those folks that got whacked knew of and were key players in Putin and team schemes that use Gazprom and related financial institutions to finance off-book activity. Some of them may have been turned and all of them were likely targets of intelligence services. Makes way more sense than those folks being involved in a coup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Trans: Epic strike "Tornado" on the Ukrainian air defense system S-300 and powerful detonation

Page / 5588
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1876 of 5588)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top