BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Catholic/Russian orthodox

I eat meat during lent.

The strict Russian Orthodox natives do observe lent pretty well. But most eat meat/fish. Only way in Rural Alaska.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know a lot of people besides myself who do the traditional no meat/no dairy. You can certainly choose how you’re going to observe the fasts.

I certainly don’t hear people bellyaching about our stricter fast like Catholics do about no meat on Fridays.
View Quote
@Marie I edited to show/link the rules I was referencing. Forgot to paste when I hit submit.

Frankly, the problem is the loosening of things. When one has no restrictions or boundaries in essence, a small correction/penance/etc., becomes seemingly hard.

For mostTrad Catholics, these things aren't very hard. For happy clappy Novus Ordo land, they seem harsh. It's why they're dying as a milieu.

We (my family) observe meatless Friday pretty much all year except solemnities/1st Class feasts. For me, the hardest thing about fasting is per the current rules that's basically what I consume daily anyway in total quantity. I also prefer not to eat meals, but small snacks throughout the day. A full meal makes me feel bloated as can be. So in order to strictly adhere to current Catholic guidelines, I actually feel like I'm eating more. Abstinence isn't a big deal to me. A slice of cheese pizza or a grilled cheese, or whatever, is almost always preferable to me than something like a hamburger. Fish though... for me, most fish and seafood is penitential not because it's not meat, but because it smells and tastes awful.

My wife makes a killer mushroom soup and also a good butternut squash one, which is often a Friday dinner for us.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fish are meat.
View Quote
Meat without feet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't understand how Catholics believe there are animals made out of something besides meat.
View Quote

Too early.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So you can’t eat chicken but you can eat eggs?

Doesn’t make sense to me.

Seafood either… like seafood isn’t made out of meat or something. What about aquatic mammals… can you eat those?
View Quote

Eggs aren't fertilized.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meat without feet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fish are meat.
Meat without feet.

Biblically, the crab is a no go at all times. Not just on Catholic night.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't understand how Catholics believe there are animals made out of something besides meat.
View Quote

Not eating meet on Ash Wednesday and Friday during Lent are small sacrifices made to show your faith. In case you are wondering, Catholics do not abstain from eating meat if it would be harmful to their health.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.archspm.org/faith-and-discipleship/catholic-faith/why-dont-catholics-eat-meat-on-fridays/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand why not eating meat honors Jesus

Catholics abstain from flesh meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and the Fridays of Lent.

Abstinence is one of our oldest Christian traditions. “From the first century, the day of the crucifixion has been traditionally observed as a day of abstaining from flesh meat (“black fast”) to honor Christ who  sacrificed his flesh on a Friday” (Klein, P., Catholic Source Book, 78).

Up until 1966 Church law prohibited meat on all Fridays throughout the entire year.  The new law was promulgated in 1983 in the revised Code of Canon Law which states, “Abstinence [is] to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Canon 1251). “All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence” (Canon 1252). The U. S. Catholic Conference of Bishops (USCCB) extended this law to include all Fridays in Lent.

Since Jesus sacrificed his flesh for us on Good Friday, we refrain from eating flesh meat in his honor on Fridays. Flesh meat includes the meat of mammals and poultry, and the main foods that come under this heading are beef and pork, chicken and turkey. While flesh is prohibited, the non-flesh products of these animals are not, things like milk, cheese, butter, and eggs.

Fish do not belong to the flesh meat category. The Latin word for meat, caro, from which we get English words like carnivore and carnivorous, applies strictly to flesh meat and has never been understood to include fish. Furthermore, in former times flesh meat was more expensive, eaten only occasionally, and associated with feasting and rejoicing; whereas fish was cheap, eaten more often, and not associated with celebrations.

Abstinence is a form of penance. Penance expresses sorrow and contrition for our wrongdoing, indicates our intention to turn away from sin and turn back to God, and makes reparation for our sins, it helps to cancel the debt and pay the penalties incurred by our transgressions.

Abstinence is a form of asceticism, the practice of self-denial to grow in holiness. Jesus asks his disciples to deny themselves and take up their Cross (Mt 16:24). Abstinence is a sober way to practice simplicity and austerity, to deny the cravings of our bodies to honor Jesus who practiced the ultimate form of self-denial when he gave his body for us on the Cross. Thus, to give up flesh meat on Fridays, only to feast on lobster tail or Alaskan king crab, is to defeat the ascetical purpose of abstinence. Less is more!  There are countless options for simple Friday meatless dinners:  pancakes, waffles, soup and rolls, chipped tuna on toast, macaroni and cheese, fried egg sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese pizza, and of course, fish.

https://www.archspm.org/faith-and-discipleship/catholic-faith/why-dont-catholics-eat-meat-on-fridays/

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blackened Salmon being prepped now.
View Quote

Blackened Salmon is one of my favorite meals. It is not much of a sacrifice for me to have it n place of meat. In fact, I often order it when it is not Friday.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fish fry at my daughters school every Friday during lent. Was going to do salmon for dinner but then there was an ad for live Dungeness for 7.99/lb. Each one was over 2 lbs
View Quote

So about $35

I'd have expected more like $50 given the crab prices around here

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Eggs aren't meat.
View Quote

So it’s not a chicken if it’s not quite born yet?

Seems like an inconsistent stance door a catholic, to me…
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're supposed to be fasting too.

The Muslims take their religion way more seriously and it shows.
View Quote

Catholics do not have to fast if they are under 18 or after their 59th birthday.

Source

We also do not fast if there is a legitimate medical reason.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So about $35

I'd have expected more like $50 given the crab prices around here

View Quote

It was over 2lbs each. So about 49 bucks for the 3 crabs
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So it’s not a chicken if it’s not quite born yet?

Seems like an inconsistent stance door a catholic, to me…
View Quote

The eggs aren’t fertilized
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Priests eat none on Fridays during Lent.

Think about it….nun….none…it was funny in 4th grade Catlick school
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can’t eat meat today bc I’m Catholic. Grocery store down the street had a sale on Dungeness crab.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/159941/2B587D4D-FA71-4D21-B652-16B2C5C29482_jpe-2765429.JPG

Got some zatarain’s crab boil going in a pot outside….. can’t wait
View Quote

Grabs have meat in them.

Catholics have fallen so far.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Catechism lays it out. Feel free to  look it up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sacrifice? Fasting? You don't see the relation between giving something up and being uncomfortable to Jesus giving up everything for us?
View Quote

It’s evolved from meat to seafood. Instead of sacrificing it’s turned into inconveniencing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t either since Lent is not Biblical.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I had fish fry from the local catholic church earlier
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the reminder op.
Tomorrow I need to go put a deposit on Good Friday’s sack of crawfish.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God's time I'm the desert before His Passion isn't Biblical?

Weird.

Maybe it is made up in that 160+ yrs before Scripture was codified.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Local Kwik Trip gas station/convenience store's Friday special, $1.99. Very comparable to McD's. I usually grab 2 for Friday lunch. I was standing with 2 other guys yesterday waiting for another load to be brought out from the kitchen
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Friday night Fish fry and clam chowder have been American staples for decades.
View Quote

Somewhat ironic considering that, among other things, the Irish immigrants were hated for being Catholic.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I married my catholic wife 34 years ago.  It’s been my adventure into tricking her to eating meat one way or another on Fridays during lent.

Sometimes I’ll just get up and fix a nice breakfast and she eats it before she realizes it is Friday. Corned beef hash or sausage and grits.  Grill up some steaks without asking her what she wants for dinner, etc.  Gets her every time.

Edit:  FWIW, she thinks all fish is supposed to be square and come out of a box.  Throw down a fresh piece of fish she has to pick around bones and she’ll go without eating.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fish are meat.
View Quote

Quoted:
Looks like meat (flesh) to me.
View Quote

Crab is meat.
Sure as Hell ain't a bread, vegetable or fruit.

This reminds me of the Amish or Mennonite in Todd Co. KY that won't drive a car but they will drive a tractor everywhere instead.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is about sacrifice and remembrance. Also during lent you give up something important to you, like TV, or all sugar, etc.

I am also Catholic. I think its important to keep "traditions" like these to honor not only God, but also to honor my grandparents, and Great grandparents who also practiced lent as a form of rememberance of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I married my catholic wife 34 years ago.  It’s been my adventure into tricking her to eating meat one way or another on Fridays during lent.

Sometimes I’ll just get up and fix a nice breakfast and she eats it before she realizes it is Friday. Corned beef hash or sausage and grits.  Grill up some steaks without asking her what she wants for dinner, etc.  Gets her every time.

Edit:  FWIW, she thinks all fish is supposed to be square and come out of a box.  Throw down a fresh piece of fish she has to pick around bones and she’ll go without eating.
View Quote

I'm Vietnamese, picking around bones is the only way I know how to eat fish!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#31]
So Catholics don't follow the books of Leviticus or Deuteronomy?  What type of mental gymnastics do you have to do, to say eating meat on Friday if forbidden, but eating shellfish is OK?

Not picking on Catholics as United Methodist do it to: picking and choosing what parts of the Bible to ignore because they are inconvenient does NOT make you a Christian.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Classic quote from adult daughter when offered some baked salmon: "don't you have any REAL fish?". Because we would buy the boxed stuff when she was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I hate to say this but,  crab meat is....meat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not just Catholics.
There's meat, chicken, pork, and fish.
I used to argue with my stepmother when I was a kid.
It's all meat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know funny right...
They won't actually "fast"
However we in WI are eternally grateful for them establishing "Fish Fry" Fridays...
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#36]

From the first century, the day of the crucifixion has been traditionally observed as a day of abstaining from flesh meat (“black fast”) to honor Christ who  sacrificed his flesh on a Friday” (Klein, P., Catholic Source Book, 78).

View Quote

That's quite a leap.

If they were truly committed they'd sacrifice some of their own literal flesh, but I guess waiting 24 hours to have that cheeseburger is pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially when the poor couldn't afford to eat any day they wanted.
"I can't eat meat all of the time, but these few days, I won't eat it because the book says so." It makes no sense but to control the people.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kinda like soaking?
View Quote

EXACTLY like soaking.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#39]
It makes no sense. Wife says I can't have bacon at breakfast, but lemme get the $45 per lb fish, crab and scallops out as a metaphorical sacrifice?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Fish munchers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One of the advantages of Full Immersion Baptism is that we can eat meat any day of the week.
View Quote

One of the advantages of GD is that you can say silly shit and someone will take it as the truth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’m more of a “only meat Friday” guy
View Quote

Oh I bet you are
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m having BBQ Porkfish.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Catholic/Russian orthodox

I eat meat during lent.

The strict Russian Orthodox natives do observe lent pretty well. But most eat meat/fish. Only way in Rural Alaska.
View Quote

there are plenty of folks in my Orthodox diocese that strict fast the entirety of Lent

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#45]
In addition to fish, beavers, muskrats, and capybaras are acceptable to eat on the Fridays leading up to Easter, according to Food & Wine. During Lent, many Catholics deny themselves earthly pleasures to honor Jesus's sacrifice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#46]
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large chulapas.

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hate to say this but,  crab meat is....meat.
View Quote

Food charts agree.
It's not a fruit

Not a vegetable.

Well, look at that, crab & fish is meat.

Just to be sure...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#48]
More made up crap Jesus never said.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

In addition to fish, beavers, muskrats, and capybaras are acceptable to eat on the Fridays leading up to Easter, according to Food & Wine. During Lent, many Catholics deny themselves earthly pleasures to honor Jesus's sacrifice.
View Quote

There was a letter from Archbishop Aymond ~8 years ago that said alligator is "seafood" and can be eaten during Friday's in Lent.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Technically Duck is seafood.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top