Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would still probably say mini, but if you need full-size get the newer 66i otherwise the full size units have disappointed me in a few ways.

ETA: kind of beat
View Quote
Essentially:

Either get the Mini or the 66i.

From what I read in my momumentous amount of research on these, the SE and Explorer have pretty lackluster GPS software where you’re better off just using your phone or another GPS device.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I should probably get one, but I have thousands of miles in backcountry without using one and I'm cheap.

Did a solo day hike snow summit on Whitney mid June and watched two hikers helicoptered out and SAR found a missing guy dead the same day. Seemed like a pretty mild walk up a big hill. Maybe class 2-3 max.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Been looking at one for the boat.

Virtually never get out of VHF/MMSI range in the Mississippi Sound and Chandeleur Islands area but it sure would be convenient to be able to shoot a text to friends & family on land.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Essentially:

From what I read in my momumentous amount of research on these, the SE and Explorer have pretty lackluster GPS software where you’re better off just using your phone or another GPS device.
View Quote
Bingo. If you don't already have a full nav device, probably the 66i. If you do have one and just want to add comms to your party, the mini. The 66i also adds the sdcard slot so you can finally have onxmaps and other storage on your inreach device (SE and Explorer don't)
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Essentially:

View Quote
I agree, today I would get the mini because all I care about is messaging (mini wasn't out when I got my SE.)

I wouldn't even consider the SE a GPS unit (other than as a position source for an app running elsewhere.) The display on the SE is tiny and very low resolution -- it's effectively just a backup if your phone isn't working, and sending messages is insanely slow since you have to pick out each letter with the cursor keys. Of course none of this is an issue for the SOS function of the device.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Essentially:

View Quote
The SE is not a standalone GPS unit and the Explorer + really kinda sucks as one. It doesn't compare to a true Garmin unit, map/software wise. When I bought, I went with the SE over the mini, strictly because It's easier to text from without being tied to a phone. I will soon ditch the SE and my Garmin GPSMAP62 and buy a 66i, to have a single unit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can't think of any case of missing person (that wasn't caused by an immediately lethal injury, at least) that wouldn't have been salvageable with one of those devices plus a firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These could save a ton of lives, if people bothered to buy them. If I was hiking way out in the woods, or outside the US (like in Central/South America) this would be a no-brainer.
LOL. Last night, I was watching the movie "Backcountry" on Netflix. This couple was in the woods with nothing - no map, no compass, no GPS, no phone, no PLB, no weapons, no food, no water.
The whole time I'm watching, I'm going through a list in my head of all the things that they should have had. One of them was something like this device.
When things eventually went terribly, awfully, wrong, I felt no sympathy for them. I wanted them to die for being so stupid.
I can't think of any case of missing person (that wasn't caused by an immediately lethal injury, at least) that wouldn't have been salvageable with one of those devices plus a firearm.
I honestly believe it's not that most people consider the possibility of bad things happening, and then discount it - they truly can't conceive of bad things happening.
Normalcy bias like a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used it in Frank Church wilderness last year. It may not have saved a life, but it was a close call.
View Quote
Love the Church! Can't wait to get back some day.

We usually have a beacon with us in the backcountry but I've often considered an InReach. Spot has too many bad reviews.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
For those using these, I have a couple of questions about the texting.  Does this device come with it's own text number, or are you able to link it with your existing cell phone?  I am basically questioning how someone who has typically just historically used your cell number to send you a text via phone, would get a text to you?   And when you power up, will text's sent to you while the unit was off, still come through?  I am pretty clear on how you can get stuff out, just vague on how things get to you.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#11]
When you subscribe, you get assigned a number. After that, it's similar to a cell phone. Messages are received after the device is turned back on. If you don't maintain a continuous subscription, the number is subject to change when you re-subscribe.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless things have changed, you can't text (e.g. SMS) an inreach unit directly and they are not assigned a number on the phone network.

Someone else can't initiate the conversation via SMS. They can reply once you text them, though.

Inreach discusses this in their tech support center.

The key bit of text from that site:
The Garmin inReach system has been designed with the intent of the inReach device user having to initiate the first message to an email recipient or SMS destination number. This is why the inReach device does not have a dedicated email address or SMS number.
View Quote
You can reply to a text from a SMS, at least for a while. The inreach gateway keeps track of the conversation and will relay your reply. You can also reply to an email from the device, and if you allow them via the settings on your account, someone can initiate a message to you via MapShare as well.

In practice, I just send my canned "I'm OK" message to my list at the start of a trip. Everything seems to work fine from that point forward if people reply to it. I've successfully replied to email messages that are more than two years old. I'm not sure that will work for SMS though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would still probably say mini, but if you need full-size get the newer 66i otherwise the full size units have disappointed me in a few ways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the report.  I've been trying to decide between the mini and full size, for my full day adventures into the National Forest on my bike.

Thanks.  I usually use my phone when putting together known (to me) routes, and have an Etrex 20 that I'll take as a backup if I'm exploring. I don't particularly like devices that try to combine multiple functions (and usually do parts less than optimally), but also don't really need another battery to keep charged, so am leaning toward the Mini.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unless things have changed, you can't text (e.g. SMS) an inreach unit directly and they are not assigned a number on the phone network.

Someone else can't initiate the conversation via SMS. They can reply once you text them, though.

Inreach discusses this in their tech support center.

The key bit of text from that site:

You can reply to a text from a SMS, at least for a while. The inreach gateway keeps track of the conversation and will relay your reply. You can also reply to an email from the device, and if you allow them via the settings on your account, someone can initiate a message to you via MapShare as well.

In practice, I just send my canned "I'm OK" message to my list at the start of a trip. Everything seems to work fine from that point forward if people reply to it. I've successfully replied to email messages that are more than two years old. I'm not sure that will work for SMS though.
View Quote
This guy has worded it much better. You need to send the first message to your contacts and then they can message you back and forth. I always send something along the lines of "Hey, this is my inReach number". I've never done emails before though. I will have to look into that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I’ve read the number changes so you can’t just give out the number, you have to message someone first and it works for a certain amount of time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Just as a quick test, I sent my own cellphone a text from the Mini, and I still have the same number from yesterday, for what that's worth.  It's a 201 area code number.

I'm not sure how long you keep the same number.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of the satellite communication devices are going to be going on sale for the next 12-24 months as Space X approaches the deployment of Star Link.

It is scheduled to be ready in 2020 but even with inevitable push backs by mid 2021ish you will be able to have better internet In vehicles in the middle of the Mohave dessert than in most houses.
View Quote
But what will my ping be when I'm trying to play PUBG?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Switched out my Inreach Explorer+ for a Garmin 66i, registered for the recreation service plus domestic insurance.  Need to play with it more but seems good so far.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Switched out my Inreach Explorer+ for a Garmin 66i, registered for the recreation service plus domestic insurance.  Need to play with it more but seems good so far.
View Quote
Nice!

Didn’t get to take mine out this weekend like I’d hoped.

I want to really get in some thick trees on the side of a hill and see how it does.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#21]
@LHA-2  Thanks for the heads up on the 66i.  If I did more backpacking/hiking I think that would be the way to go.  I mainly need it for a fishing trip with my daughter next month.  I'll be on lakes I already know but it will just be me and her (9 year old) so having something to communicate with is my overriding concern.

I did end up getting a Mini last week.  I caught a sale here about 30 mins before it ended.  $319.99 OTD, no tax no shipping so I thought that was a pretty good deal.  I wanted the orange one but they only had black last week.

I'm sure my wife is going to complain about the cost.  When I asked her what was I going to do if I needed help out on the lake (Ontario Canada) her response was "Can't another boater help you?  Or can't someone from the resort help you?"     This IS from a woman who has fished in Canada and knows how remote the lakes are.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep one in my airplane. It’s incredibly useful.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Everyone should have one of these if you go out into the woods or on trails, even well-traveled ones. A stumble and a broken ankle could kill you from exposure, even if there are others nearby someone may have to hike out to get word to the rangers. The ability to report to the outside the conditions of where you are, or to possibly communicate to facilitate extraction is valuable.

I hike LeConte every year and remember in November a couple years back we had heavy rain the entire hike. Near the top there was a guy on the side with a broken ankle. A group of hikers had him bundled up with umbrellas covering him. Rangers had to hike up with a gurney to get him out. It took all night and I remember hearing that he made it out alright. That incident made me decide to carry my inreach with me.

Remember that Breaking Bad episode where the battery dies in the RV?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I have the SE and have used it to help rescue others who had no communication capabilities miles from cell service. It works well but communicating is slow. It is to be expected but always practice with your tools. I came across a major Offroad crash down a mountainside and the driver of the side by side has the mini but didn’t know how to use it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@LHA-2  Thanks for the heads up on the 66i.  If I did more backpacking/hiking I think that would be the way to go.  I mainly need it for a fishing trip with my daughter next month.  I'll be on lakes I already know but it will just be me and her (9 year old) so having something to communicate with is my overriding concern.

I did end up getting a Mini last week.  I caught a sale here about 30 mins before it ended.  $319.99 OTD, no tax no shipping so I thought that was a pretty good deal.  I wanted the orange one but they only had black last week.

I'm sure my wife is going to complain about the cost.  When I asked her what was I going to do if I needed help out on the lake (Ontario Canada) her response was "Can't another boater help you?  Or can't someone from the resort help you?"     This IS from a woman who has fished in Canada and knows how remote the lakes are.
View Quote
You got a good deal on the mini. If you don't need nav capabilities, there is no need for the added expense of the 66i. Play with it a little bit before you leave. These really are neat little devices, both for keeping in touch and when things go sideways. Have fun on the trip. I hope you guys don't get carried away by mosquitoes. I've heard they can be pretty bad up there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have the SE and have used it to help rescue others who had no communication capabilities miles from cell service. It works well but communicating is slow. It is to be expected but always practice with your tools. I came across a major Offroad crash down a mountainside and the driver of the side by side has the mini but didn’t know how to use it.
View Quote
I have the SE as well, and actually prefer it to the mini due to the screen size and battery life. I cannot fathom why someone would go to the expense of the device and service setup and not know how to use one. It's always interesting to hear from people that have had to use one in an emergency, particularly helping out other people.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Mini and love it. The new 66i is badass. Especially if you do a lot of backwoods or similar excursions.

They are cheap insurance. I do the basic freedom plan. I would just pay year-to-year but I like that I have the ability to bump up to a plan with included text messages and tracking if need be for whatever trip.

I highly recommend one for everyone. My parents keep one in their car just in case they wind up some place without cell service and need help.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I agree, today I would get the mini because all I care about is messaging (mini wasn't out when I got my SE.)

I wouldn't even consider the SE a GPS unit (other than as a position source for an app running elsewhere.) The display on the SE is tiny and very low resolution -- it's effectively just a backup if your phone isn't working, and sending messages is insanely slow since you have to pick out each letter with the cursor keys. Of course none of this is an issue for the SOS function of the device.
View Quote
This is the information I needed. I already have an assortment of nice handhelds configured the way I want, just the ability to text would be just what I need.

I assume these would be as useful when boating? My spouse goes out and I worry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#29]
is the battery AA or a rechargeable? And can you remove it.

50 hours is always optimistic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Recharge.

Does not last 50 hours when tracking.
But I carry an anker battery that can recharge every device I have on me multiple times.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I am using one on my hike, and it is one of the best pieces of kit I have.

Tracking is on 10/2 intervals.  I message 10-15 times a day with my wife if I have no cell service.  Battery lasts about 48 hours total--I do turn it off at night.  No biggie, I charge it up on the morning of the 3rd day while I do my morning chores before leaving camp.

Well worth the money, and I would guess that out of every 10 hikers I see, 5-6 have one.  They are that popular.

I work mainly through the app on the phone.  I suppose I could get longer battery life by using it less and without the bluetooth, but that is what I carry a battery pack for,

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#32]
[laughs in Iridium]

Hand-held satellite communications devices aren't exactly the new thing.  I've sold MANY Iridium phones over the past few years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Went offshore fishing for blue marlin. Maybe 150 miles. Works as advertised.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Recharge.

But I carry an anker battery that can recharge every device I have on me multiple times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recharge.

My Mini recharges super fast. Last Saturday I checked mine and it was down to about 50%, about 20 minutes later it was at 100.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[laughs in Iridium]

https://satellitephonestore.com/uploads/pictures/2374-2472.jpg

Hand-held satellite communications devices aren't exactly the new thing.  I've sold MANY Iridium phones over the past few years.
View Quote
If airtime was not so damn expensive I'd have one just because.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#36]
So you can text unlimited pre-programmed texts, that you can set yourself, to a cellphone for $11 a month? I'm buying one when I get out of the trucking business. No need for a phone after that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So you can text unlimited pre-programmed texts, that you can set yourself, to a cellphone for $11 a month? I'm buying one when I get out of the trucking business. No need for a phone after that.
View Quote
You might want to rethink this plan.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
You have 3 preset texts you can send to a select group an unlimited amount of times. Past those 3 you have to pay to play.

And as said above, you might want to rethink that plan.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had a full-size InReach for a couple years now. Great piece of gear. I never leave it behind on any climbing, camping, or backpacking trip. It's even in the pack on dayhikes.

Anyone who spends any significant amount of time in the backcountry needs to have one IMO.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an older version I used on a ride through Mexico and Central America. My family was able to follow me on a map and I texted my wife several times a day on it. One single night I had trouble getting a message out while along the frontier of Mexico and Guatemala but I was able to send out a short message after a bit.

If I hadn't responded my wife would not have flipped her lid. She understood the nature of the trip. Even if I wasn't responding at all for a day or so they would still know the last location of the device while in use.

Honestly as mentioned they really are the bomb and I am sure they are even better now than mine is.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You have 3 preset texts you can send to a select group an unlimited amount of times. Past those 3 you have to pay to play.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap thought I read 30 presets. Lame.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I bought one a month ago when they were on sale.

My only gripe is battery life and signal power...but that is the trade off for the smaller, lighter, and cheaper version of in reach.

If you are out in the wilderness like me for hunting, backpacking, etc...it will pay for itself in peace of mind for the wife and the ability to text when there is no service.  (Like when you need a shuttle from a trailhead).
View Quote
if you are in the wilderness, you have to be able to swap in an AA cell. If it does not use alkalines/lithiums, it is completely stupid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How will the coming generation of LEO (low earth orbit) cell phone satellites effect the need for these guys?
View Quote
We're still a few years out from these, so you'll need one of these for the time being.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#45]
JSB2k10 and I will each be using an InReach product in the course of our rather unconventional tour of Wyoming in August.

I've had my Explorer+ for a year and a half, and find it generally works as advertised.  Generally. Not too bad for standalone use in the backcountry without a phone in tow.

The Mini looks neat.  I'm envious of the size, and I'll get to see how well it works.  JSB just bought his, and that's what he'll be using on the trip.

Don't know him, never met him, but we're headed out to Wyoming at the end of the month, and our backcountry plans are quite different, so we'll be staying in touch using the InReach system.

In a nutshell, we'll both probably hike in together, but I'm going to be backcountry rock climbing, and he'll probably loop on out for some longer hikes from where the climbing is.  Probably going to be out for a week at a time in various NPs and Wilderness Areas.

An unconventional plan, for sure, but I think the InReach stuff will help us pull it off.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How will the coming generation of LEO (low earth orbit) cell phone satellites effect the need for these guys?
View Quote
I'd say it would just depend on cost.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you can have preset messages but, you only get 3 presets that can be sent for free.
i.e. 1)Got to camp, I'm ok. Calling it a night

2)Heading out for the day, will check in later.

3)Heading home. See you soon!

Just quick messages that are sent to a select group that you setup via the web portal.
The other presets are just quick response messages.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
if you are in the wilderness, you have to be able to swap in an AA cell. If it does not use alkalines/lithiums, it is completely stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought one a month ago when they were on sale.

My only gripe is battery life and signal power...but that is the trade off for the smaller, lighter, and cheaper version of in reach.

If you are out in the wilderness like me for hunting, backpacking, etc...it will pay for itself in peace of mind for the wife and the ability to text when there is no service.  (Like when you need a shuttle from a trailhead).
It can be recharged off of a USB battery bank.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the fact that the mini pairs up with my fenix 5x and I can have all the functions on my wrist
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#50]
If you have an Experticity account then you can get a decent discount if I recall correctly.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top