Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/27/2019 12:15:56 AM EDT
I wasn't even really familiar with these until recently, spent way too many hours reading about them and watching YouTube videos, and this particular one comes out on top for most people.  I frequently go out for hikes in places with no cell reception by myself, and coming up I have some backpacking trips planned with friends in places that can get gnarly.

It's $350.  You can get a plan for $15 a month that you can cancel at any time that gives you unlimited preset texts (there's a limited number of slots to create them,) normal texting is 10 cents a text, SOS is free (but of course that ain't gonna be cheap depending on your insurance.)  You can actually text and type right on the device, but think late 1990's cellphone texting.  The awesome part is, it has software you can Bluetooth to your phone / iPad / whatever to type normally on there, but is sent via satellite.  If you opt to pay all year, it gets down to like $11 a month.  There are more expensive plans with unlimited texting, and you can have the device send a tracking point to your Garmin page every (2 minutes or 10 minutes?) depending on your plan.

Whenever you text someone, it also sends a link to a Garmin map of exactly where you are - - super cool.  They can respond back to you from that website or text you back.

So far in my testing, the texts come through anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute after I hit send.  Granted, I haven't tested it out on the side of a mountain yet or with a bunch of trees around, but I'll be playing with that this weekend to see how it really ticks.

As you can see, it's very small and light, and supposedly the battery lasts about fifty hours.  Not a toy that everyone needs, but it's a slick little piece of mind for not that much money after the outset.

Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I am drunk, but I have a satellite locator that gives me a single predefined I am fuck text - Sorry, to inebriated to find it, but it also includes sat tracking and is require for some adventures races.  Think it is a spot locator.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one in my cart and was ready to pull the trigger. Specifically for a long-ish backcountry trip coming up.
Taking newbs up so I figured I should have the backup.

Didn't go through with it and the trip is next week.

Let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a SPOT currently, but I've been reading good things about those.

It seems like a generational leap over my unit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an older inreach. My son used it Tierra del Fuego. It was useful.

I used it in Frank Church wilderness last year. It may not have saved a life, but it was a close call.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually just bought the bigger Inreach+ that has the GPS with Delorme 24k topos loaded on.  Should arrive this week from REI.

I'm taking my 8 year son old backpacking this summer, will be nice to have the GPS but will put my wife's mind at ease knowing we can check in each day.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
If I constantly went on hikes or adventures, I’d probably have one of these and the Breitling rescue me watch.  It’s a cool gadget if you have a need for it
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I provisioned a couple of these for the family just as a backup communications option (shitty luck with cell providers anytime we stray too far from home). The Freedom plan or whatever it is, same one you mention OP, set predefined messages to send + location data, worth it for the peace of mind and they never leave the house without them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#8]
David paulides would be proud!
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought an ACR personal locator beacon about 3 years because it doesn’t require a subscription fee. However, I’m starting to find that texting out to let family know my condition is really important to me now and definitely considering a Garmin or spot device.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 3:34:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Have one and like it...
Tracking could be better imho.. 10 minutes intervals is kinda big spread in a bike
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I have it’s bigger brother. I used in Haiti after hurricane Matthew in 2016.

Absolutely amazing. Sitting on a hillside, no cell service, no power in any direction for 50 miles, and I’m texting with my wife.  I had an a iridium  sat phone as well but ended up using the delorme as it actually worked better.

Also used them in Iraq. Each vehicle had one. There is a company that tracks them 24/7.  They tracked each one as our aid organization was concerned about the potential for kidnappings.   They had “go” and “no go” zones and if we were going to go into a “no go” zone  we had to notify them beforehand.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Those things have blown my spot out of the water.   I’m out of service constantly, and the ability to send and receive is nice.

I have been thinking about the Spot X, but even at its 250.00 price, it seems to get too many bad reviews.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those things have blown my spot out of the water.   I’m out of service constantly, and the ability to send and receive is nice.

I have been thinking about the Spot X, but even at its 250.00 price, it seems to get too many bad reviews.
View Quote
I did many hours of reading on these.

I did not find much good sentiment on the Spot devices.  Garmin makes the top of most lists and reviews I found on Reddit and otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Couple weeks back I was on a week long solo trip through the Dark Canyon country. I saw only one person: a woman who had one of those things.
She told me she used it to send a text once a day to her husband in Moab, to let him know she was OK.

Here's the problems I see:
-If people are expecting to hear from you, and it stops working, or you lose it, there will be a problem.
-If you send off an SOS accidentaly, same. Last year a local rescue group responded to an alert by hiking into Alaska Basin on the back side of the Tetons, at night. Woman who owned the beacon was sound asleep in her tent. Somehow she sent out an SOS without knowing it

What do folks think about these issues?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a mini Rino
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Couple weeks back I was on a week long solo trip through the Dark Canyon country. I saw only one person: a woman who had one of those things.
She told me she used it to send a text once a day to her husband in Moab, to let him know she was OK.

-If people are expecting to hear from you, and it stops working, or you lose it, there will be a problem.
-If you send off an SOS accidentaly, same. Last year a local rescue group responded to an alert by hiking into Alaska Basin on the back side of the Tetons, at night. Woman who owned the beacon was sound asleep in her tent. Somehow she sent out an SOS without knowing it

View Quote
Well, those are both valid, yeah.

If someone is expecting to hear from you and they don’t of course they’re gonna freak out.  I think the understanding should be these devices aren’t infallible and that you may not necessarily hear from me until X time, and don’t call the cavalry until then.

As for SOS on the mini:

It’s nigh impossible to set it off accidentally as the button is protected by a cover (what you see is not the real button,) and the button underneath is inset a bit.

From my reading, what pisses emergency crews off the most with these things is people who set them off for minor things and trigger tens of thousands of dollars worth of dangerous mountaineering / flying when the people just had shit like minor injuries and still could hike out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
It's incredibly hard to send a SOS accidentally on a Inreach -- there's multiple steps that have to be done
in sequence to make it happen. It's not like a butt dial.

I use an earlier, larger Inreach SE, and on that unit to initiate an SOS:
- you have to turn it on by pressing the on button,
- then confirm you've turned it on by moving the cursor over to the "power on" menu
- then move a mechanical SOS lockout switch to the side
- then pressing the SOS button
- keep pressing while waiting for the SOS countdown to complete.

At this point SOS is sent.

Then they send a reply to confirm, which you reply to. My understanding is that
emergency services will be sent regardless of the reply, though, just that it lets
them know you can help in your rescue.

My guess is that false SOS was a Spot unit. Or someone took an ambien.

As far as missed check-ins, hopefully it's been pre-arranged on how that's handled, but honestly something
should happen if that occurs once it meets whatever threshold of seriousness. That doesn't mean it's
a full-blown SAR operation.

If I'm doing something remotely with a higher probability of accidents, I keep the leash pretty short and
update my wife every couple hours, if I miss a couple check ins she has a list of people I know in the area
(and are who familar with it) to call and have them check on me if they can.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t see how anyone could accidentally trigger an SOS.  They try to make it foolproof, but there are some great fools out there
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's incredibly hard to send a SOS accidentally on a Inreach -- there's multiple steps that have to be done

- then confirm you've turned it on by moving the cursor over to the "power on" menu

emergency services will be sent regardless of the reply, though, just that it lets

As far as missed check-ins, hopefully it's been pre-arranged on how that's handled, but honestly something
should happen if that occurs once it meets whatever threshold of seriousness. That doesn't mean it's

If I'm doing something remotely with a higher probability of accidents, I keep the leash pretty short and
update my wife every couple hours, if I miss a couple check ins she has a list of people I know in the area
View Quote
I didn't get the details, but I expect you're right. There was some head shaking by the local SAR guy I talked to.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it like this?
self destruct sequence (alien 1979 )
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got the full size one, actually used it yesterday while out on a hike in an area without cell service. Works great.

I leave it in the 4Runner powered off, and only turn it on when I'm going out on a trip. Used about 2% of the battery yesterday, turned it back off and stored again at the end of the day. Battery lasts for months on end when off. It's a neat little device.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the inreach explorer plus. Nice unit. I take it with me when horseback riding or drives out to the middle of nowhere. I really desire the two way messaging so I can communicate with responders to tell them what situation I'm in so they can prepare appropriately.

There was a story posted here about a guy with a spot device. He became injured while climbing a cliff. I think he broke his leg. He used his spot to signal for help. It took some hours for the responders to get to him only to discover he was on the side of a cliff and they would need climbers. The climbers show up hours later and see the situation and then send for a helicopter which took several more hours. I'd like to think some of that time could have been saved by explaining his situation to the emergency command center via text.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m going to pull the trigger on one of those soon. I’ve been trying like hell to find a price below $350 from somewhere reputable.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Frankly, they are the bomb.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Pretty darn close!

It's a minor worry of mine that if I need to use it that I won't have the manual dexterity or motor skills to activate it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
These could save a ton of lives, if people bothered to buy them. If I was hiking way out in the woods, or outside the US (like in Central/South America) this would be a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Will any of the text options send current GPS coordinates without having to trigger an SOS?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the Delorme inReach from right before they were bought by Garmin. My first trip out it crashed. It needed a hard reset, but I didn’t know the button combo to press and hold. I’d recommend taking the manual or memorizing the buttons.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Will any of the text options send current GPS coordinates without having to trigger an SOS?
View Quote
More options than I will ever need.

My family and wife love the link to a map, and they can follow your track in set intervals.

Incredible piece of mind for your loved ones!
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes you can send coordinates with any text.

Its also available in black:
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’m going to pull the trigger on one of those soon. I’ve been trying like hell to find a price below $350 from somewhere reputable.
View Quote
REI just had them on sale for $300.
Too bad you missed it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I got one of these for my forest hikes. Neat device and not too expensive monthly. You can send pre-written or free form texts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They do.

There’s a setting you can turn on where every single text you send includes a map link.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Definitely gonna get one of these
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#35]
All of the satellite communication devices are going to be going on sale for the next 12-24 months as Space X approaches the deployment of Star Link.

It is scheduled to be ready in 2020 but even with inevitable push backs by mid 2021ish you will be able to have better internet In vehicles in the middle of the Mohave dessert than in most houses.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the report.  I've been trying to decide between the mini and full size, for my full day adventures into the National Forest on my bike.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks for the report.  I've been trying to decide between the mini and full size, for my full day adventures into the National Forest on my bike.
View Quote
Honestly if you have your phone on you the mini is great due to its size. If you want a more self-contained unit the full size is probably better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
These could save a ton of lives, if people bothered to buy them. If I was hiking way out in the woods, or outside the US (like in Central/South America) this would be a no-brainer.
View Quote
LOL. Last night, I was watching the movie "Backcountry" on Netflix. This couple was in the woods with nothing - no map, no compass, no GPS, no phone, no PLB, no weapons, no food, no water.
The whole time I'm watching, I'm going through a list in my head of all the things that they should have had. One of them was something like this device.
When things eventually went terribly, awfully, wrong, I felt no sympathy for them. I wanted them to die for being so stupid.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
LOL. Last night, I was watching the movie "Backcountry" on Netflix. This couple was in the woods with nothing - no map, no compass, no GPS, no phone, no PLB, no weapons, no food, no water.
The whole time I'm watching, I'm going through a list in my head of all the things that they should have had. One of them was something like this device.
When things eventually went terribly, awfully, wrong, I felt no sympathy for them. I wanted them to die for being so stupid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't think of any case of missing person (that wasn't caused by an immediately lethal injury, at least) that wouldn't have been salvageable with one of those devices plus a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Have had and extensively used a SPOT for 6 years and a Garmin InReach for 3 years.  Used SPOT 125 miles offshore and use the InReach up in the national forests in CO.  SPOT is ok for one-way comms and for letting people know you're ok.  No two-way comns and no interface with a smart phone are, in my experience, are the two biggest drawbacks to the SPOT technology.  My wife and my two sons' wives all appreciate being able to two-way text us when we're out in BFEgypt for a week or more.  I hope that future hardware versions, or software upgrades, will allow for low-res photos to be attached to the text.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
@GreenLantern  Depending on what you want/need, you may want to check out the brand new Garmin GPSMAP 66i. It's only been out for a few weeks, but it integrates a Garmin GPSMAP unit with an inReach device. If you want a unit that does GPS and Communication, it's likely the best bet, but it is pricey. The inReach Explorer + does have GPS as well, but it is based off the old Delorme system and does not play with other GARMIN software/programs. The new 66i does give you the benefit of GARMIN programs. If you only want it as a communications device, consider the inReach SE or the Mini.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've had the original Delorme Inreach SE for a few years.

As to the potential problems you mentioned:

I use mine sparingly. Only for check ins and when I do check in, I keep it on long enough to send out an "I'm here and OK" at certain times and wait for a reply from my daughter. As to losing it?  Possible, but mine stays lanyarded to my "always with me" mini pack.

My older Delorme version has an SOS switch that looks like It could be accidentally activated if it were rattling around in my bag with a bunch of other hardware, but when not in use, it goes in a small zippered pouch and I also covered the SOS switch mechanism with a small piece of clear tape. In an actual emergency, it can easily be removed to activate SOS. I think the new Garmin versions actually have a door you have to open to get to the SOS switch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They do.

There’s a setting you can turn on where every single text you send includes a map link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They do.

You can also set the tracking frequency of the device without sending texts, ie: every X minutes or hours a breadcrumb is sent off. If you go into the Team forum Red_5 has a thread on his motorcycle trip to Colombia. He is using a mini and you can see some of the maps he has posted with his tracking breadcrumbs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I have one and it gives my family peace mind when I’m on multi day solo float and fish trips.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
David paulides would be proud!
View Quote
Bigfoot would raid the camp, open the tent and remove it from paulides pocket while he slept. You forgot bigfoot can sense electronic devices, hence the reason he never gets caught in trail cams.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought one a month ago when they were on sale.

My only gripe is battery life and signal power...but that is the trade off for the smaller, lighter, and cheaper version of in reach.

If you are out in the wilderness like me for hunting, backpacking, etc...it will pay for itself in peace of mind for the wife and the ability to text when there is no service.  (Like when you need a shuttle from a trailhead).
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would not ignore older used models. I've been using the original Delorme version for three years. I do take care of it, so it still looks brand new and I have not noticed any degradation in the rechargeable  battery. I've been debating with upgrading to the Mini, but only because it is so small. Mine is mainly carried for my solo fishing trips, but I still hike on occasion, so the smaller, lighter Mini might be worth the upgrade. One of Delorme's older models actually used standard batteries. I wish they made a Mini that used AA's.  I'd upgrade, like right now. All my other 'out there' gear uses AA's (lights, GPS) and I carry spare Lithium AA's for that gear.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Frankly, they are the bomb.
View Quote
I would agree.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@GreenLantern  Depending on what you want/need, you may want to check out the brand new Garmin GPSMAP 66i. It's only been out for a few weeks, but it integrates a Garmin GPSMAP unit with an inReach device. If you want a unit that does GPS and Communication, it's likely the best bet, but it is pricey. The inReach Explorer + does have GPS as well, but it is based off the old Delorme system and does not play with other GARMIN software/programs. The new 66i does give you the benefit of GARMIN programs. If you only want it as a communications device, consider the inReach SE or the Mini.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. I've wondered (since the buyout) why Garmin has retained Delorme maps for the GPS versions. I adored using the old Delorme mapping software for printing out custom maps, but the maps (in my experience) were not as accurate (terrain data) as Garmin's. Plus, there is so many free Garmin compatible maps and layers online (GPSFiledepo.com)  that I preferred Garmin mapping.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would still probably say mini, but if you need full-size get the newer 66i otherwise the full size units have disappointed me in a few ways.

ETA: kind of beat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top