Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/7/2018 5:14:30 PM EDT
Fresh from the factory

Backstory, having owned several M-1 Carbines over the many (many, MANY) years and wanting to add another one to my current collection (a CMP Inland that has been a safe queen and Blue Sky import marked one that has been my shooter for a couple years)

I'd spent the better part of 2018 looking for another USGI made one in the same shape as my CMP one with no luck I decided to take advantage of the Labor Day sale offered by Fulton Armory and buy a new production one as my Xmas present to myself this year.

For those whom aren't familiar Fulton Armory makes and restores USGI rifles, their M-1 Carbines being made to the same spec as WWII production models.

Fulton Armory

I choose the "Service" model with a upgraded Criterion chrome lined barrel. Chrome lining wasn't offered during production of USGI rifles, but I figured this was going to be a "shooter" (500-1000 plus rounds a year is what I'm thinking, I ran that much through my Blue Sky last year) that I want to last my lifetime (I'm 60 now).

12 weeks later we have this

Fit and finish is excellent IMO, so tight when I field stripped it I needed a small rubber hammer to get the trigger group off.

Only markings on the walnut wood stock are this

Upper receiver is the cleanest I've ever seen, only wear marks are from test firing

My understanding is FA used CNC machined receivers made by Lewis Machine Tool, bolt is also made by them to USGI specs. The rest of the parts are USGI NOS, I've found a "BE-B" on the trigger group housing so far, hammer is marked "M.I" and the mag release is marked "M".

Bad news is I won't be able to test fire it till after the 1st of the year Work and family issues. I do intend to update this thread as I shoot it the next few months........
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You have been pushing these for a long time.

Im glad you like it.

BUT. ITS NOT WORTH THE RIDICULOUS MONEY!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Im glad you like it.

View Quote
Your entitled to your opinion. The fact is USGI made ones having been running in the $1200-1500 dollar range in my area (Cincinnati) for the past couple years. I've more AR's than most SWAT teams and always liked shooting the Carbine. Having owned most of the commercial copies over the years I decided to try this
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool;

Kicking myself over letting the Bavarians go by
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
blasphemy
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your entitled to your opinion. The fact is USGI made ones having been running in the $1200-1500 dollar range in my area (Cincinnati) for the past couple years. I've more AR's than most SWAT teams and always liked shooting the Carbine. Having owned most of the commercial copies over the years I decided to try this
View Quote
For the price you paid you could have gotten an exceptional USGI Carbine that would have lasted you your lifetime.

You do realize that people sell them nationally on the interweb thingy and you don't have to look for one locally???

$1600+ Crazy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not.  My father did not have a 22 so the first gun I ever fired and learned to shoot with was a WW2 bring back. I am sure he would have brought one home if he could but he bought this one from a friend.  He brought mostly Jap stuff home.

A new one would even be better
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I guarantee you will shit a kitten when you see the accuracy that Criterion barrel will throw down. Criterion barrels are ridiculous. My dad has an early LRB M14 with the Criterion match grade chrome lined barrel. I don't even have to try, I just point and shoot and shit goes where I want.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guarantee you will shit a kitten when you see the accuracy that Criterion barrel will throw down. Criterion barrels are ridiculous. My dad has an early LRB M14 with the Criterion match grade chrome lined barrel. I don't even have to try, I just point and shoot and shit goes where I want.
View Quote
3MOA guarantee from Fulton LOL.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That's rather nice looking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
A nice Inland USGI listed and sold today for $800 on the CMP site.

$800 USGI > $1600 reproduction.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
All the best with the M1. I'm sure it will be a winner.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For the price you paid you could have gotten an exceptional USGI Carbine that would have lasted you your lifetime.

You do realize that people sell them nationally on the interweb thingy and you don't have to look for one locally???

$1600+ Crazy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1600+ Crazy.
On one hand, his rifle costs a bit more than my 1944 Winchester.

On the other, my Winchester is 74 years old.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing about the Fulton M1 Carbines is that you almost never see them on the secondary market.

That could be because the owners love them and don't want to sell them OR they don't want to take a huge loss in price selling it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1600+ Crazy.

Someone just wants to shit on my thread. As I mentioned on my post, I own 1 CMP that I've been offered almost the same as I paid for the FA. I've been offered $800 for my import marked one. As for Cranky ass mentioning buying online, I'm leery of buying a 70 some year old rifle sight unseen. I've known a couple guys who got burned that way buying M-1 Carbines.

Like you mention, I have a new production rifle with a lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing about the Fulton M1 Carbines is that you almost never see them on the secondary market.

That could be because the owners love them and don't want to sell them OR they don't want to take a huge loss in price selling it.
View Quote
Since there are less than 1400 of them out there I would imagine that has something to do with it.

FYI, I did see one on Gunbroker before I ordered mine, it went for $1000-1200 bucks IIRR.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good price, I quit watching because every time I look, I see THIS.

Current auction;

Attachment Attached File

ETA;

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Easilly my favorite gun.  I carried one on 4 different continents.  A NPM is next to me right now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Easilly my favorite gun.  I carried one on 4 different continents.  A NPM is next to me right now.
View Quote
1st rifle I ever owned. My uncle brought one back from Korea that he gave me and my ex sold on me while we're getting our divorce.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
The Chrome lined barrel is nice, i stuck one on a shot out Blue Sky Inland import i picked up in the 80's, the only issue with new chrome Carbine barrels I have (Had) is i had to have a carbide chamber reamer made to set the headspace. It is now my shooter carbine due to the super easy cleanup.
Speaking of chrome, year ago i had LRB stick a Fulton .308 Chrome lined barrel on my Winchester Garand, its my favorite shooter Garand for the same reason!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cool;

Kicking myself over letting the Bavarians go by
View Quote
You and me both.

Nice carbine OP
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I really like the M1 carbine, and one of the very few gun sales I regret was selling a really nice Winchester M1 carbine I used to have.  I can't fault OP for wanting to have a nice M1 carbine, regardless of what he paid for it.  It is up to OP to decide whether getting a high priced, new, carbine of known quality is a better deal than taking a risk on one from CMP for a cheaper price.

I'm not faulting CMP, or Fulton Armory as both are part of the free market economy, and OP is free to buy from either one.  I think I would buy a CMP rifle, and put as much as I could afford toward getting the best one my money could buy.  Then if necessary, I could always send the rifle off to have a new barrel, trigger group, stock, or whatever else I found unsatisfactory installed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Chrome lined barrel is nice, i stuck one on a shot out Blue Sky Inland import i picked up in the 80's, the only issue with new chrome Carbine barrels I have (Had) is i had to have a carbide chamber reamer made to set the headspace. It is now my shooter carbine due to the super easy cleanup.
Speaking of chrome, year ago i had LRB stick a Fulton .308 Chrome lined barrel on my Winchester Garand, its my favorite shooter Garand for the same reason!
View Quote
I'm going to have FA install a chrome lined barrel on my Blue Sky marked one and give it a going over. It's got a decent bore (about the same as my CMP Inland) but I figure might as well.

Then I'll send them the CMP and have them check it out. It could use the rear sight moved over to center.

That'll give me 3 good carbines, that should hold me a couple years

CMP is on the top, "Blue" the bottom one
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice looking carbine...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Current auction;

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187445/M1Capture_PNG-764212.JPG

ETA;

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187445/ETACapture_PNG-764215.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current auction;

ETA;

I assumed he meant the For Sale section of the CMP forum, not the actual CMP auction site.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I assumed he meant the For Sale section of the CMP forum, not the actual CMP auction site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current auction;

ETA;

CMP has not had the M1 Carbines (non-auction) for probably 5 or 6 years.

When I bought my Garand, they had plenty of Carbines, including Bavarian, lightly used, I wanted a Garand.

ETA This shows some came through in 2016, missed those.

CMP
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$1600+ Crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1600+ Crazy.
Respectfully, I disagree. This firearm is perfect, and that has a value all its own. Who cares if perfection costs a little more, if perfection is what you want.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When I bought my Garand, they had plenty of Carbines, including Bavarian, lightly used, I wanted a Garand.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current auction;

ETA;

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=237797
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I've always found Fulton's offerings interesting. Good luck with it OP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current auction;

ETA;

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=237797
Nice, I am a Member over there but honestly have not posted in a couple years.

WA State F'd up (like everything) the CMP Program;

Must send to an FFL, local NICS, transfer fee, probably tax  Unless it has changed that was the status a couple years back after I-594 was shoved up our ass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Beautiful rifle OP. I’ve always wanted one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Someone just wants to shit on my thread. As I mentioned on my post, I own 1 CMP that I've been offered almost the same as I paid for the FA. I've been offered $800 for my import marked one. As for Cranky ass mentioning buying online, I'm leery of buying a 70 some year old rifle sight unseen. I've known a couple guys who got burned that way buying M-1 Carbines.

Like you mention, I have a new production rifle with a lifetime warranty
View Quote
That's a nice gun.  Fuck the critics you didn't ask them to pay for it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Respectfully, I disagree. This firearm is perfect, and that has a value all its own. Who cares if perfection costs a little more, if perfection is what you want.
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

3MOA guarantee from Fulton LOL.
View Quote
Once upon a time I cleaned, repaired, and then function fired 20 GI carbines that had been used for boyscout marksmanship training.   Only a couple were capable of sub-3MOA accuracy -- so a 3MOA guarantee is hardly something to scoff at...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1600+ Crazy.
In my mind this FA Carbine is what a GI would have been issued new in WWII. It'll be my luck when I go to the next gun show locally (tomorrow) I'll trip over USGI ones in mint condition dirt cheap.

I always buy myself a nice gun at Xmas time (my join date here is the day I got my 1st Colt 6920.......I'm up to 4 of those now plus 8 other AR builds )

It ain't prefect but it's damn close IMO
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#35]
A few months back at a local show here in Alabama, I saw one of Fulton's first reworked carbines for sale....apparently in the beginning they used USGI receivers.  This one had a nice WRA receiver, and Fulton Armory paperwork.  It was $1100, which seemed fair but I didn't know enough about the early ones to pull the trigger.

If I hit the lottery, I'd definitely buy a Fulton Armory carbine, as I haven't yet heard a bad report about them.  I also think they are pretty much one off made, and you get a level of attention that most new guns don't get.

Congrats OP, I'll just be poor and stick with unmolested usgi arsenal rebuilds:)
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Lifetime warranty you say... vs an original???
Attachment Attached File

Obviously not a carbine but the point stands

Nice gun OP!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a very nice Standard Products that was my dads. The local pawn shop has a dead mint Plainfield Machine carbine for around $600. I would be a buyer at $450. It has been there since back in the spring.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice rifle, good luck with it and give us a range report after you shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1600+ Crazy.

Mine just turned 74 this year too!   I paid something like $300 for it and it's in excellent condition. However, it was made by Winchester, and not Fulton Armory.  :(

Obviously due to the price. ;)

Mine is .30WCF which is probably what they were only doing on their limited war time production.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
great looking little carbine, you got what you wanted, now go and enjoy it, everyone that has a problem with that, go fuck yourselfs, go be poor someplace else
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Im glad you like it.

View Quote
What's a long time 18er

My only non-frankenstein AR is a FA varmint/predator. They make some very nice weapons.

Nice piece you have there OP
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks good!

Expensive or not, who cares? It's yours. If you're happy, that's what counts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a big fan of the M1 Carbine. I have one from most all USGI makers except the really rare ones, and I would LOVE to have a Fulton Armory one. It is somewhere on my big list of things to buy someday, as is their M14 clone. They put out very high quality products. These are not high-powered long range sniper rifles, but they are sure fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#45]
What was the Black Friday deal?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Very nice carbine OP.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am a big fan of the M1 Carbine. I have one from most all USGI makers except the really rare ones, and I would LOVE to have a Fulton Armory one. It is somewhere on my big list of things to buy someday, as is their M14 clone. They put out very high quality products. These are not high-powered long range sniper rifles, but they are sure fun as hell to shoot.
View Quote
pics or GTFO!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Congrats on the new carbine brother! Yell at me if you wanna try it out in the holler over Xmas break. I’ll be around.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im glad you like it.

There's certainly a lot more questionable ways to blow $1700 on a gun.

I think this is pretty neat, myself.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

pics or GTFO!
View Quote
LOL. Will see if I have any.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top