Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/13/2004 6:52:22 PM EDT
So I found this spider on the inside of my garage door last week and as I was about to smash it, I noticed it was a female black widow. I'd never really seen one before so I caught it in a jar and showed it to the wife. Next thing I know I'm feeding it moths and roaches and whatnot and this thing grows 4 times it's original size! It's really cool watchin it kill a big roach and then scarf it down. Anyway, I get home from work today and this thing (looks like a tan colored WWII sea mine) is in the jar:

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I found this spider on the inside of my garage door last week and as I was about to smash it, I noticed it was a female black widow. I'd never really seen one before so I caught it in a jar and showed it to the wife. Next thing I know I'm feeding it moths and roaches and whatnot and this thing grows 4 times it's original size! It's really cool watchin it kill a big roach and then scarf it down. Anyway, I get home from work today and this thing (looks like a tan colored WWII sea mine) is in the jar:

home.comcast.net/~tharmon150/spideyeggsack.jpg

Time to feed the beotch a little raid ....
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, just wait till it has 50 babies and you knock the jar on the floor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn that's creepy
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember that the baby spiders are REALLY small.  Any air holes are probably fair game for them to get through.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Imagine how much nicer it'd look submerged in Carb Cleaner, or all crispy from a torch, or hell, it'd look REAL NICE as a streak of Black goo on the garage floor.

Nice looking Spawn of Satan you got there.

All Spiders must Die.

SG
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude you are weird. Seek help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
At the very least I would get that mother out of the house and into the back yard.  As was said above, baby spiders are tiny and could go anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
KILL IT
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Remember that the baby spiders are REALLY small.  Any air holes are probably fair game for them to get through.

I thought of that. The last thing I want is a house full of these varmints. No air holes in the jar. It's a big plastic pretzel jar and I open it once a day to let some air in. That is until they hatch. When that happens, this experiment is over.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
KILL IT

Seriously, I would humidify her jar with some agent orange ...
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
KILL IT

NOW!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yea, just wait till it has 50 babies and you knock the jar on the floor.

I knew a guy that this almost happend to.... had about 50 babies, and almost broke the jar several times.    I don't know if he ever got rid of it (don't talk to him anymore (PSYCHO)) but I do know that BOTH of his roommates got bit.   They had to visit the hospital every couple days and have the 1.5" HOLE in their side sucked out and cleaned!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad had one too. He kept it in a styrofoam cup in his work truck for about a week when he put it in a jar it had like 200 babys that were crazy small. put it out in the woods and opened the lid.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I had one of those THINGS once in a shed I was about to tear down.  It was a small shed, so I burnt it in place.  I fucking hate spiders.  I'd rather have a snake in my house than a spider.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Blast off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure!

Do you need a napalm recipe or something?  Burn it now!

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~tharmon150/spideyeggsack.jpg

That fucking egg sack is creepy and makes my skin crawl !!

Goddanm! Just looking at it is making me itch all over, KILL IT NOW !!!  use this---->
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I heard Diane Feinstein is looking for a pet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Topics that have the words "sack" and "spider" in them can never be good!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Does papa know? (oh, this means he is dead now I guess ....)

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Fill jar with bleach.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#26]
gee, you must be so.....proud......
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]
She is only preparing to breed. Probably all the good food you've been giving her got her "ready" to expend the immense amount of energy it takes to lay eggs.

Unless a male black widow (which looks nothing like the female) manages to get in there and fertilize her she probably wont be laying anything. Unless widows can store semen like tarantulas. Which means she has bred before and still has some nut juice left over.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had one too! Its the coolest thing you ever saw when they come out!

About 500 of the little pinpoint sized babies come down like Airmobile Rangers on little strands of web.
Then they attack and eat each other until there are only 5 or 6 left.

I did not know that - thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
She is only preparing to breed. Probably all the good food you've been giving her got her "ready" to expend the immense amount of energy it takes to lay eggs.

Unless a male black widow (which looks nothing like the female) manages to get in there and fertilize her she wont be laying anything.

From what I've read, the female can store sperm for a long time. I'll know in about 20 days.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
BigT this is the coolest thread on here today.  Don't kill it like these nancy boys suggest, keep feeding the bitch.  When the egg sack bursts, post pics, and introduce the colony to another colony of red ants and see who wins!!   Toss some bumblebees and scorpians and preying mantis in the mix for a fucking royal rumble!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Whatever you do don't kill her, just take her and put her in the woods and open the lid. She is a good insect hunter.

that's what I tell my wife all the time, she's deathly afraid of spiders... I won't kill them for her anymore, they do too much good IMO...
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Great.  I'm down in SC dealing with freaking mosquitoes (racquetball-size welt on my arm) and now I read this.  I'm going to go nuts swatting at every little puff of air that tickles my arm hair now.  

My father caught one once.  It spun a web in the jar, but he didn't keep it long enough for it to lay an egg sack.  He killed it, but I can't remember the method.  Any of the above will work fine I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
BigT this is the coolest thread on here today.  Don't kill it like these nancy boys suggest, keep feeding the bitch.  When the egg sack bursts, post pics, and introduce the colony to another colony of red ants and see who wins!!   Toss some bumblebees and scorpians and preying mantis in the mix for a fucking royal rumble!!!

+1
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#35]
don't be stupid (although it looks like you already are)

DESTROY IT
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#36]
do they sell thermonuclear handgrenades on the internet?  Thumb the clip, pull the pin, throoooooow the grenade...since nuking it from orbit isn't a likely choice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Only one solution....TANNERITE
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Just Damn.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Dont post any videos of it eating a cricket!!  Dont need any more of that mouse and piranha nonsense...
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#40]
When they hatch, you will not be able to feed her.   Then she will eat the babies.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

THIS IS BY FAR, THE COOLEST FUCKING IDEA!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

One of our FALFiles buddies...FALtitude IIRC, did this with several scorps, BW's and maybe a Brown Recluse and a few other critters and would post pics etc. as to the outcome!

I also think that she has been 'spermed' and that there are eggs developing in that sac!

Personally I would kill it and the sac but it is your pet!

It would be outside though just in case!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Dont post any videos of it eating a cricket!!  Dont need any more of that mouse and piranha nonsense...

You're a fucking pussy.  Do you just eat vegetables?  Douche.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No shit. That thread gave me a headache.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

THIS IS BY FAR, THE COOLEST FUCKING IDEA!!!!

I am all in favor of this idea, becausee this is the kind of thing that can go spectacularly wrong, creating enormous amusement and hilarity for us spectators.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Eat it.  Fist the the egg sack as an appetizer, then chow down on momma (use a toothpick).

Mmmm mmmm good!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Only one solution....TANNERITE

Well I was looking for my Tannerite GIF but it is on the computer at work.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain your aggresssion.  Did you read the post I am refering to?  I found it ridiculous that so many people found it inappropriate, but I did not express myself in the manner your did.  My point is I am not bothered by natural acts such as animals consuming each other.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
That sack looks like a Mini-me version of what the Uruk-hai used on the wall at Helm's Deep...!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain your aggresssion.  Did you read the post I am refering to?  I found it ridiculous that so many people found it inappropriate, but I did not express myself in the manner your did.  My point is I am not bothered by natural acts such as animals consuming each other.

Haha, musta misread.  Well those other guys are fucking pussies, vegetable eating douches, you're cool.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top