Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2012 7:14:31 PM EDT
The oil pan under the Humvee seems to be SOP (CO Nat. Guard). Do they really leak that much that they require an oil pan?

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The oil pan under the Humvee seems to be SOP (CO Nat. Guard). Do they really leak that much that they require an oil pan?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/chevy_sb350/Arfcom/2012-06-30_05-34-24_425.jpg

I have never seen it happen, but it can I suppose. And chock blocks and pans are SOP for my unit, a heavy weapons unit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
not usually. My BN (Navy) doesnt do it, but I've seen lots of Army do it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/chevy_sb350/Arfcom/2012-06-30_05-34-24_425.jpg

I have never seen it happen, but it can I suppose. And chock blocks and pans are SOP for my unit, a heavy weapons unit.

So they don't leak but you place them down anyway?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Drip pans and chalk blocks are SOP.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. it is case of leak after running on a long trip for us, or when we are not on drill. the vehicles sit for about a month at a time, so it is a good idea. The seals can dry out, and you can get a leak. Most of the time, they do not go past a class 1 leak.

Now, in Iraq we did not do so with any of our vehicles.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a case of monkey see, monkey do.

Someone thought it was a great idea and adopted it.

If its not leaking, how do you know where to put the pan?

The answer is you really don't. Just put it under the truck would be the correct answer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do, at least on Ft. Hood.  The Environmental guys will write you up if there isn't one.  I wonder how much money is spent on drip pans
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I never did that with my truck in the Marines.  I don't care if it was leaking or not.  I checked the oil from the top every day.  Added more as needed.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this where the quote "its good enough for government work" applies?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just one of those things that has to be done in some units.

We have all these pockets but aren't allowed to put our hands in any of them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Drip pans and chalk blocks are SOP.

Those simple little things that you can do to avoid Base environmental inspection hassles and EPA fines...

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was preventative but thought I would ask. Do most of the trucks have the 6.6L Duramax or the  old 6.5?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Chocks are for safety.  E brakes in military vehicles don't work that great in my experience.

Drip pans in this application are environmental tree hugging bullshit.  How many civilians do you see using them?  What is the ratio to civilian vehicles to military vehicles on the road?  I guarantee one mexican freight hauler drips more oil than all the vehicles in a division combined. Do they really do a damn bit of good?  No.  Their only purpose is for some politician to cater to some special interest group
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Army loves their chicks and drip pans. We don't give two shits in the air force....they don't leak that bad.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We don't have to wear a reflective suit to ground-guide a bicycle, either.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Drip pans and chock blocks are required for all vehicles and equipment in the Army.

When I was a PFC/SPC, there was many an occasion that I had to acquire somebody else's because somebody else acquired ours.

That, combined with cutting locks, is the official pastime of the mechanized Army.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
All it is is an appeasement to the EPA.

Large military installations in the US have huge issues with civilian government agencies.  The EPA is one of those that comes often and is easy enough to fix or at least keep at bay.

Although I'm sure some obscure regulation out there requires all vehicle to be wrapped in oil condoms before being parked on line, it is not a service wide requirement or SOP.  It is post to post, and unit to unit dependent.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't have to wear a reflective suit to ground-guide a bicycle, either.  

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnn
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a knee-jerk response to the environmental community.

Nothing more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Dude, what do you say when an officer asks where your drip pan is?  "It's on order sir."  Good answer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Those drip pans are actually some kind of animal food feeder ha, ha. The Army just uses them as drip pans.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The only HMMWV's I remember that didn't leak were trucks that had never been inspected properly. As I recall the drip pans were only required if the vehicle was known to be leaking.

Chock blocks on those vehicles aren't just something that somebody came up with, a military HMMWV has an automatic transmission, but unlike in a normal vehicle, it has no "P" for park setting, when you park it you put it in neutral and pull up the parking brake. If the parking brake isn't adjusted properly the vehicle will roll. My company at Ft. Bragg sent a FES team to the field in Canada with one of their units, somebody got out of their vehicle at the top of a hill, and started to walk down to the stream below. The truck beat him down and ended up about six feet deep. It was a brand new truck too.

They all require drip pans now.  The parking brake is adjustable, most people don't know that.  The little knob on the end turns to tighen/loosen.  A few of our trucks now do have a "regular" selector that has a "park" gear.  I'm sure that is what the Army is going to now.  

I remember some cold nights trying to get comfy as a driver and accidentally hitting the parking brake.  "Oh shit!"  

Quoted:
Those drip pans are actually some kind of animal food feeder ha, ha. The Army just uses them as drip pans.

I believe it, they have to be durable as they get run over all the fucking time.

I just googled "rubber animal feeder" and this popped up.  Sure 'nough.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I just googled "rubber animal feeder"

What kind of sick fuck feeds rubber animals.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol...bronies man.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#28]
In my transport unit, chock blocks and drip pans for all parked vehicles. Drop the pan give it a kick so its somewhere under the vehicle. It wasn't just humve's though.

In iraq all the vehicles had them in the motor pool, we never took them on misson even though we were going to other bases, just left the drip pan in place kicked the chock blocks out of the way, when we came back park the truck and kick the blocks back into place.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Leaks in military equipment is a good thing, lets you know there is still fluid in them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Must depend on the unit, cause I've never seen an oil pan just randomly under a HMMWV

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Must depend on the unit, cause I've never seen an oil pan just randomly under a HMMWV  

I'm on my fourth and have seen them everywhere I've been.  Leg?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Fucking busy-body E-8s and E-9s
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL, too bad they aren't the ones that actually set that policy.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, but it started with them. They needed more things to yell about.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#35]
At AIT (88M) we were taught that chock blocks and drip pans under ALL vehicles was SOP.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt it.  There is enough going on at the unit to worry about such silliness.  Look what sets the policy and signs the policy.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubt it.  There is enough going on at the unit to worry about such silliness.  Look what sets the policy and signs the policy.  

I know most of ours are the E8s and E9s. True story.

Also, I don't know this for a fact, but isn't the new grooming standards coming out the SMA's baby? No sideburns at all, etc?

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Its an environmental requirement to have a drip pan. If you have a spill you have to do an unholy amount of paperwork and the cleanup is such a pain in the ass. And it is across the board.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn it FDC! I'm trying to be a smartass here and you are totally killing the mood.

You fucking deltas always did get on my nerves.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know most of ours are the E8s and E9s. True story.

Also, I don't know this for a fact, but isn't the new grooming standards coming out the SMA's baby? No sideburns at all, etc?

The whole no sideburns things and the fear of this reg change makes me laugh.

1.  It isn't a policy yet, so the people spreading this around are just fear mongering based upon whatever the SMA is randomly speaking of that day of the week.  
2.  At least there is a set "line" instead of some vague...whatever the fuck the vague reg is now.  Never thought it was hard to stay within regs on a haircut, but some people want to play.
3.  There is no way in hell that this suggested policy change will ever happen as looking at at least 75% of recent senior leader(O & E) official photos they have low fades or even more civilianized haircuts.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn it FDC! I'm trying to be a smartass here and you are totally killing the mood.

You fucking deltas always did get on my nerves.

Former 13E...Don't confuse me with those jack of all trade, master of none, Fort Sill brainchild 13Ds.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#42]
During my entire 10 years in the Army drip pans and chock blocks were SOP on every vehicle, in every unit, on every post.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#43]
In my former unit you had two drip pans, and two chocks.  The two chocks were on the TC side front wheel, and the drip pans were under both of the differentials, even if there was another leak somewhere else, I.E. rear mainseal/flywheel cover.  I wish this wasn't true.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#44]
It's like a Harley.. it's not leaking.. it's marking its territory.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#45]
If you think the drip pans are dumb, wait til you see the big vehicle-sized catch basins they want you to park over in training areas to make sure you don't put any oil into the environment.

Yeah, some vehicles leak more than others. The drip pans don't make sense outside of a motor pool environment, because even if you are catching leaked oil in the field, what are you gonna do with it? Yup, the pan gets tossed in your vehicle, and that leaked oil gets all over the stuff in the vehicle. Brilliant.

They don't even want guys carry spare bottles of POL under the seat anymore like we used to universally do because those bottles could leak

I remember for a while there it was tough to acquire quart bottles of POL for this reason. You'd be hoarding a handful of quart bottles and refilling off 5 gallon bulk cans...inevitably spilling oil in the process of refilling those
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#46]
No lets discuss stupid. Imagine having to pull the 5-gallon cans of POL's off every vehicle on the weekend and storing them in the hazmat shed. That is 30-wt, 90-wt, FRH, and JP8 off of 32+ vehicles every time because they could leak on the ramp.

Our drain pans were cut down 55-gallon drums. This might sound stupid until you consider that there could easily be several gallons of fluid in the hull. I got soaked doing an acceptance inspection a new LAV that arrived with the hull FULL of rain water.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

When I was at Bragg we didn't have drip pans but did have the blocks, but our vehicles didn't leak...  Well until we washed them then they were like a sieve.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In my former unit you had two drip pans, and two chocks.  The two chocks were on the TC side front wheel, and the drip pans were under both of the differentials, even if there was another leak somewhere else, I.E. rear mainseal/flywheel cover.  I wish this wasn't true.

This servicemember speaks the truth!  All Chocks will be dress right dress and both drip pans will be as well.

Got a leak? Dri-Sweep Motherfucker!  And get to it because the CSM will be inspecitng the lines at 1645 prior to COB.  Pity to the suckers that had a little oil stain on the ground after 1650.  Any armored vehicle is a pain but an ACE can and will leak every fluid it has until doomsday.  We had AVLB that dumped 80/90 into its hull and some wise ass pulled the escape hatch in the belly.  Dumped probably 15 gallons on the ground.  We were tearing open bags of dri-sweep making little dri-sweep dunes to keep it away from the drains.  Luckely the ACE line was not that far away and they have plenty of it on hand

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Drip pans and chock blocks are required for all vehicles and equipment in the Army.

When I was a PFC/SPC, there was many an occasion that I had to acquire somebody else's because somebody else acquired ours.

That, combined with cutting locks, is the official pastime of the mechanized Army.

oh yes cutting locks, if we can't find the keys in about 30 seconds the locks are cut.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's a knee-jerk response to the environmental community.

Nothing more.

This is your answer..we never did that shit in the 80s.  Started to see it in the late 90s and became the norm by the 00s.

Some units enforce it more then others which is also normal.  E9s need something to do....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top