Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Well it sounds stupid until you have a Class III leak.  As a Government entity the Military has extra scrutiny from folks like the EPA.  They test the lead contamination at ranges and similar stupid activities.  I thought it was ridiculous until I saw a transfer case leak at a range.  Range control almost shut the range down, luckily we were able to continue shooting.  However, the clean up process was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#2]
We have this old torn apart HMMWV that sits outside the maintenance shack that has no doors or roof, about 1 non flat tire left, no engine,  and is little more than a frame... yet when I was out doing the burn barrel, some random SGT comes walking by and says "Sir, is this your HMMWV."  He asked it in that tone indicating he wanted to borrow it for some reason.  I responded that it didn't run at all and he tells me, "Well, you still need a drip pan under it!"  I just looked at him like .  I told him to see my maintenance NCOIC in the maintenance shack and he basically told him to F off.  And yes, we are in Afghanistan... in a war zone.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We have this old torn apart HMMWV that sits outside the maintenance shack that has no doors or roof, about 1 non flat tire left, no engine,  and is little more than a frame... yet when I was out doing the burn barrel, some random SGT comes walking by and says "Sir, is this your HMMWV."  He asked it in that tone indicating he wanted to borrow it for some reason.  I responded that it didn't run at all and he tells me, "Well, you still need a drip pan under it!"  I just looked at him like .  I told him to see my maintenance NCOIC in the maintenance shack and he basically told him to F off.  And yes, we are in Afghanistan... in a war zone.

Wow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not surprising since I got kicked out of the DFAC on Al Asad for being dirty. I just came in from a mission and had been living outside the wire for the past six weeks. The DFAC closed in thirty minutes and I just wanted a real meal.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is a case of monkey see, monkey do.

Someone thought it was a great idea and adopted it.

If its not leaking, how do you know where to put the pan?

The answer is you really don't. Just put it under the truck would be the correct answer.

Pretty much this.  I'm a civilian contractor and USACE requires us to place drip pans under all equipment.  I used to argue how in the hell do I know where to put the pan if theres no evidence of a leak but I gave up.  I actually tried just leaving blue tarps under all equipment to MAKE SURE if there was any leak from anywhere it would be contained but they didnt like that.  

Fuggin government logic at work.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
So those eco-friendly drip pans are cute and all, but what happens to the drippings?

Hauled around inside the vehicle, splashing on everything?

Dumped on the ground during a piss-break?

Collected into an EPA-approved storage container?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So those eco-friendly drip pans are cute and all, but what happens to the drippings?

They are poured into a "sludge barrel" which is then disposed of properly. No joke.

What used to make me laugh was this:

Lets catch any possible fuel spills, because we wouldn't want to destroy the environment in Iraq. Meanwhile the locals are dumping an entire oil tanker out on the ground so they can wash it out in a stream.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah...

There I was... it was August of 2007, and I was a PFC in a combined arms battalion that was doing a rotation at NTC. We had been in "the box" for about a week and half and I had just put on my last clean set of ACUs before heading in to do the 17hr shift that my OIC wanted all of us working. Not to long after I got to work, somebody noticed that one of those generator AC combo trailers had leaked several gallons of JP8. They moved the trailer, and brought in a LMTV. A few other guys and I were told to "quarantine" the spill by digging it up, putting it in some shitty Skillcraft office trash bags, and loading it on the LMTV. We were out there digging for a few hours. I have no idea where they'd take a truck load of bagged sand soaked in JP8.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you guys have to chock an Abrams? How will a chock stop 60+ tons of steel?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The oil pan under the Humvee seems to be SOP (CO Nat. Guard). Do they really leak that much that they require an oil pan?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/chevy_sb350/Arfcom/2012-06-30_05-34-24_425.jpg

no
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Of course.  They also get two drip pans, as does a Bradley.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Used oil tank.  Just about every motor pool has them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quite well if the correct chock is used properly.

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can only dump it in the used oil tank if it is actually only POL's. Mixtures with coolant or water contamination must be poured into a separate sludge barrel for disposal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And when you're out in the field, no motor pool. No oil tank.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#15]
its stupid and gay, if any oil gets in the dirt they make a huge deal about it and the rest of your day will be devoted to digging up dirt.

For some reason we used block even on level surfaces, i remember one confused private was confused because he didn't know if he should put the block infront of the tire or behind because like i said it was perfectly level, but he was req to use it.

ah the .mil where stupidity rules
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drip pans and chalk blocks are SOP.

They're chocks.  I've heard people say, "chalk", but people mispronounce everyday words everyday.  Seeing it miswritten is sort of jarring.

That drives me nuts too, being an aircraft guy.  Another is Hangar vs Hanger.

Do you Army guys actually call them "Chock Blocks"?    Double-speak much?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only HMMWV's I remember that didn't leak were trucks that had never been inspected properly. As I recall the drip pans were only required if the vehicle was known to be leaking.

Chock blocks on those vehicles aren't just something that somebody came up with, a military HMMWV has an automatic transmission, but unlike in a normal vehicle, it has no "P" for park setting, when you park it you put it in neutral and pull up the parking brake. If the parking brake isn't adjusted properly the vehicle will roll. My company at Ft. Bragg sent a FES team to the field in Canada with one of their units, somebody got out of their vehicle at the top of a hill, and started to walk down to the stream below. The truck beat him down and ended up about six feet deep. It was a brand new truck too.

They all require drip pans now.  The parking brake is adjustable, most people don't know that.  The little knob on the end turns to tighen/loosen.  A few of our trucks now do have a "regular" selector that has a "park" gear.  I'm sure that is what the Army is going to now.  

I remember some cold nights trying to get comfy as a driver and accidentally hitting the parking brake.  "Oh shit!"  

Quoted:
Those drip pans are actually some kind of animal food feeder ha, ha. The Army just uses them as drip pans.

I believe it, they have to be durable as they get run over all the fucking time.

I just googled "rubber animal feeder" and this popped up.  Sure 'nough.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/9fa5e894bd8531486f2aca49e5aa8870.jpg

Safety standards require rubber buckets/pans for fuel.  Plastic can have static.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quite well if the correct chock is used properly.

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can only dump it in the used oil tank if it is actually only POL's. Mixtures with coolant or water contamination must be poured into a separate sludge barrel for disposal.

On every base, everday, lots of soiled absorbent matting gets collected in drums, for proper HazMat disposal.  

http://www.newpig.com/pig/VideoLandingView?pg=pig-mat-video&icon=video&storeId=10652&catalogId=17208&langId=-1

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yup, steel chocks under the tread.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when you're out in the field, no motor pool. No oil tank.....

What oil ???  is the right answer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What oil ???  is the right answer.

True..when you ask for resupply, thats the answer you get
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Safety standards require rubber buckets/pans for fuel.  Plastic can have static.

Thanks, it could save my life.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes. Welcome to the suck.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Army loves their chicks and drip pans. We don't give two shits in the air force....they don't leak that bad.

The chicks or the vehicles?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprising since I got kicked out of the DFAC on Al Asad for being dirty. I just came in from a mission and had been living outside the wire for the past six weeks. The DFAC closed in thirty minutes and I just wanted a real meal.

Had a similar situation. Our butter bar ripped the SGM a new one, pulled rank, and we got to eat. Fuck yeah LT!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, it could save my life.

Well, Knowing is half.....nevermind.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a similar situation. Our butter bar ripped the SGM a new one, pulled rank, and we got to eat. Fuck yeah LT!

That's the perfect example of institutional stupidity.... When Leaders care more about drip pans and clean uniforms vs. Caring for the Troops...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the perfect example of institutional stupidity.... When Leaders care more about drip pans and clean uniforms vs. Caring for the Troops...

Yep...apparently the CO CDR got a phone call from the BDE CDR over it, and the CO CDR told him that he would have done the same thing, and it was a non-issue.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The only HMMWV's I remember that didn't leak were trucks that had never been inspected properly. As I recall the drip pans were only required if the vehicle was known to be leaking.

Chock blocks on those vehicles aren't just something that somebody came up with, a military HMMWV has an automatic transmission, but unlike in a normal vehicle, it has no "P" for park setting, when you park it you put it in neutral and pull up the parking brake. If the parking brake isn't adjusted properly the vehicle will roll. My company at Ft. Bragg sent a FES team to the field in Canada with one of their units, somebody got out of their vehicle at the top of a hill, and started to walk down to the stream below. The truck beat him down and ended up about six feet deep. It was a brand new truck too.

What? The "newer" up armored ones do.  My m1151A1 def has it.  The thin skin older ones don't though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top