Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:39:44 AM EDT
http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/marine-faces-fifteen-years-behind-bars-for-unknowingly-violating-gun-law/

Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate,

I know he should have checked the laws better.  But this situation with carrying in NY is getting ridiculous.  It needs to go and the people of NY need to make sure it is changed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it getting close to that time when about 15,000 armed citizens show up and ask where to check their guns?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Who does this?  Why are there two really similar threads just days apart on ARF?  Does this kind of thing happen often and we are just now seeing it in the media?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I still do not understand why anyone would choose to set foot in Hell.  

Armed or not, it is still Hell.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Who does this? Why are there two really similar threads just days apart on ARF? Does this kind of thing happen often and we are just now seeing it in the media?

I think with the increase in CCW permittees there are more people carrying and thus greater opportunities for them to run afoul of New York law.

The law sucks and needs to be changed, but it is the responsibility of every CCW permittee to know the laws of the jurisdiction in which he is carrying.  It's just plain stupid to assume the cops will recognize you as one of the "good guys" because you have a CCW permit.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Is he a WO Gunner or a tail gunner? Not that it matters much.

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm
NY has way more CCW permits than CA.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]
There needs to be sanctions imposed on New York for kidnapping citizens that run afoul of their unconstitutional, thus unlawful, restrictions on guns.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
screw that...give the marine a break.  he was trying to do the right thing anyways.  just misinformed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
screw that...give the marine a break.  he was trying to do the right thing anyways.  just misinformed.

Give the marine a break and the other lady from a few days ago.  Neither had criminal intent...  Hell, If anything was happening I'd rather be right between those two.  NYC has jacked up gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it getting close to that time when about 15,000 armed citizens show up and ask where to check their guns?

If I had the money, I would charter a small plane and drop about 15.000 airsoft guns with little parachutes all over the city
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had the money, I would charter a small plane and drop about 15.000 airsoft guns with little parachutes all over the city

the NYPD would try and shoot you down with their helicopter No seriously.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The people of NY have spoken. They voted in, time and time again, these politicians who have enacted this legislation and legislation like it. It IS the will of the people. 65% of the american people are FOR an AWB rather than protecting gun owners rights. This is the climate we live in. Never going to change when the people don't want it. We, ar15 owners, are not the majority.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The people of NY have spoken. They voted in, time and time again, these politicians who have enacted this legislation and legislation like it. It IS the will of the people. 65% of the american people are FOR an AWB rather than protecting gun owners rights. This is the climate we live in. Never going to change when the people don't want it. We, ar15 owners, are not the majority.

speak out of your ass much? We are beholden to the city a few DNC stronghold counties
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have you been there?     Hate the laws there,  but I still love NYC.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

speak out of your ass much? We are beholden to the city a few DNC stronghold counties

Out of my ass? Where do you get off saying that
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Will of the people, or not...it is still a civil rights violation.  As a citizen of the United States you have the right to bear arms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. Their state, their laws.

I would never step foot in that state again if my life depended on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#18]
We're in the same boat as folks in lllinois; the big city tries to dictate what the rest of the state does and wants.

We'd be better off making them their own district.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.prisonersofthecensus.org/nygerrymander.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The citizens of New York get to rewrite the USC to suit themselves?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They might have been true once its not true now. The tide has changed, its about 45% wanting to ban assault rifles now. There was an article and poll data in the last NRA magazine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will of the people, or not...it is still a civil rights violation.  As a citizen of the United States you have the right to bear arms.

Well, up until the 14th, the bill of rights only applied to the federal govt (Barron). After that, Thomas has interpretted the bill of rights to have total incorporation, but that has not how case law has transgressed. Heller changed all that, but before that states were in their means to regulate to oblivion. Heller hasn't impacted fully yet, and when it does the 2nd will be selectively incorporated, ending all doubt. But until that happens, NY remains legally able to restrict arms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give the marine a break and the other lady from a few days ago.  Neither had criminal intent...  Hell, If anything was happening I'd rather be right between those two.  NYC has jacked up gun laws.

Its not about intent on the part of the offenders; its about the message being sent from the top.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, up until the 14th, the bill of rights only applied to the federal govt (Barron). After that, Thomas has interpretted the bill of rights to have total incorporation, but that has not how case law has transgressed. Heller changed all that, but before that states were in their means to regulate to oblivion. Heller hasn't impacted fully yet, and when it does the 2nd will be selectively incorporated, ending all doubt. But until that happens, NY remains legally able to restrict arms.

The 2nd was incorporated by McDonald vs Chicago last year.  NYC has overstepped their bounds.  That said, the place to settle this is in court and hopefully we will eventually get a case that forces them to change their laws.  I'm not sure if a non-NY resident has standing to sue NYC, however.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

We're in the same boat as folks in lllinois; the big city tries to dictate what the rest of the state does and wants.

This.  

W. NY would be a pretty awesome state by itself.

IL would be pretty awesome w/o shitcago as well.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2nd was incorporated by McDonald vs Chicago last year.  NYC has overstepped their bounds.  That said, the place to settle this is in court and hopefully we will eventually get a case that forces them to change their laws.  I'm not sure if a non-NY resident has standing to sue NYC, however.

Thank you, you are correct (and I was mistaken) that it was McDonald that selectively incorporated and not Heller.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shh... Adults are discussing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Right, cause the NRA NEVER lies w/ #'s.  You not only have to recognize the other guy's propaganda, but also your own side.  Good news, but one poll isn't reality.

Sorry for the Marine & the Volunteer, but carrying in New York City?  Really?  What is it about the People's Republic of New York that makes one think they don't hate guns?

Merry Christmaunakah & Happy New Year!

backbencher
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Meanwhile....

"We weren't lying when we intentionally said something we knew not to be true"
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But, it's "The safest big city in the world"! I read that in a newspaper so it must be true!
I'll stay in my 238 person town. At least I know who the dumbshits are here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

There needs to be sanctions imposed on New York for kidnapping citizens that run afoul of their unconstitutional, thus unlawful, restrictions on guns.

I support this plan.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're talking out of your ass because you're all kinds of wrong.

Poll: Most oppose assault weapon ban
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS! And this is why I say fuck the ACLU.  They will defend anything but the 2nd.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yup.  Nothing like NY is worth losing your freedom over.  Save your money and your life - don't go.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Who does this? Why are there two really similar threads just days apart on ARF?  Does this kind of thing happen often and we are just now seeing it in the media?

No shit.

I despise NY for their gun laws, but how does a gun owner NOT know about CA and NY gun laws?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shh... Adults are discussing.

I laffed.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Who does this? Why are there two really similar threads just days apart on ARF?  Does this kind of thing happen often and we are just now seeing it in the media?

No shit.

I despise NY for their gun laws, but how does a gun owner NOT know about CA and NY gun laws?

Marine? Did you miss that part?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

Yep. I say this all the time too lol.....Break up the state to Upstate NY and Western NY and make it Western New York....and then NYC and Long island area will just be New York..............Nothing wrong with most of Western NY and Upstate as well...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit.

Marine? Did you miss that part?

Not sure what that has to do with anything.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

Yep. I say this all the time too lol.....Break up the state to Upstate NY and Western NY and make it Western New York....and then NYC and Long island area will just be New York..............Nothing wrong with most of Western NY and Upstate as well...

Upstate would be paradise if this happened.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

JDAM the bridges.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

JDAM the bridges.

Escape from NY?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#43]

^ This.

NYC is NOT NY as a whole....it's just the tail that wags the dog.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is precisely why you have a constitution that MUST be respected..  Otherwise, democracy is just dictatorship from the majority,
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#45]
How is it that all states are required to honor other states drivers licenses but not CHP's?

Could PA pass a law saying that NY drivers are not allowed to operate pickup trucks in PA?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I was thinking more like 1,500,000 ....

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JDAM the bridges.

Tick off enough Marines and that can be arranged.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#48]
While I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse, it SHOULD be a mitigating factor, particulary when the individual in question

is clearly acting in a manner that suggests that his intent IS to follow the law.

Criminals don't ask where they can check their firearms.
CJ
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I hear you, but might does not make right in a constitutional republic.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.  The constitution is there so that people can't vote or legislate away rights that we were given by our creator.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top