Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2009 2:00:19 PM EDT
Another good shoot.  This happened right down the road from me.  I actually bought a shotgun (sweet wood stock 1300 Defender 12) from a guy in the Cracker Barrel parking lot right next door to this IHOP a few months ago.  He had really good feedback on the other gun sight so I wasn't too concerned but I did exercise my right as a Texas to have a pistol in my car just in case.  I'm just patiently waiting for the great state of Texas to send me my CHL.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Man_shot_during_Craigslist_transaction.html

By Valentino Lucio   - Express-News

A man, who attempted to make a Craigslist transaction, ended up shooting a would-be buyer Monday afternoon on the city's Northwest Side, officials said.

The 21-year-old buyer was shot twice in the left leg and was taken to Wilford Hall Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. He faces charge of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon after he tried to take the camera away from the seller, a police report states.

Neither the buyer, nor the seller were identified.

The shooting occurred around noon in the parking lot of an IHOP restaurant in the 120 block of Southwest Loop 410 near U.S. 151, the report states. The seller told police he placed a camera for sale on Craigslist and that he went to meet the alleged buyer at the IHOP parking lot. As the seller waited in his vehicle at the restaurant, he noticed the buyer and two other men in a car. When the seller called the assailant over to make the transaction, the buyer approached the vehicle with another man and demanded a camera, the report states. The 37-year-old seller saw the man lift his shirt to retrieve a weapon and that's when he pulled out a handgun and shot the assailant twice, the report states.

The assailant managed to make his way to a nearby Cracker Barrel restaurant where police found him. It is unknown if police found his weapon or the two other assailants.

It is likely the seller will not face any charges in the shooting, police said.  - gotta love Texas
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, now I know not to hide at a Cracker Barrel after being shot.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Good shoot, I always worry about that with FTF transactions dealing on CL, but I always make sure they're in a very public place and always carry. I also check my six when I drive away. Hate to be that way, but it beats being a victim.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I made a craigslist purchase at night, I CCW'ed the Uzi...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm packing for EVERY Craigslist sale or purchase.  And any gun-related purchases/sales are made in the parking lot of Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good shoot, I always worry about that with FTF transactions dealing on CL, but I always make sure they're in a very public place and always carry. I also check my six when I drive away. Hate to be that way, but it beats being a victim.

+1

It's just being prudent.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
excellent shoot!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  He had really good feedback on the other gun sight so I wasn't too concerned but I did exercise my right as a Texas to have a pistol in my car just in case.

Man I love exercising my right as a Texas! lol, good find
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the buyer got some free lead with that camera...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
People don't take Craigslist transaction seriously enough.

Old Mustang GT parts and race car beds really bring out the nut cases.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always carried when meeting someone to buy/sell from CL.

I'd shoot an attempted jacker too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
hahaha, i used to work for the target store in that area, and apparently an aquaintance (friend of a friend) was working at that cracker barrel that night.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I always take someone along with me during FTF transactions
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I always shoot the buyer in a FTF sale.  Beat them to the punch.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always shoot the buyer in a FTF sale.  Beat them to the punch.

Thread.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I always try to bring a buddy on a gun purchase or CL purchase. Good to have back up and another set of eyes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#16]
When I do FTF sales I meet in the parking lot of a local gun shop, right in front of the CCTV.  And I always carry.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]
People sure are naive to the fact that...

arranging to meet someone somewhere with a couple hundred bucks in their pocket,

puts them into a perfect position to become a victim.

Way better score than robbing the pizza delivery guy.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I also ALWAYS carry when transacting through Craigslist, ebay, etc., even in my home.
It really is a golden opportunity for a scumbag to try something dubious.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Last time I made a craigslist purchase at night, I CCW'ed the Uzi...

How quick is your best time draw to hit on target with that SS Set up?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Happened 2x in KC MO a few months back.  "seller" posts an iphone for cheap.  yuppie shows up and gets a gun in the ear...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
F2f is good to use public places and be armed. A outside friend is also good especially if it's something that needs picked up at/delivered to your residence. This way you can check out the buyer/seller and have pics before they follow you to finish the transaction. So far i've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#22]
This is why I do F2Fs at walmart parking lot. Well lit. Lots of people 24/7. Recorded on camera.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
DON'T ROB A TEXAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, yeah, go ahead.  Rob them....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice double tap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#25]
sounds like a good shoot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I always try to bring a buddy on a gun purchase or CL purchase. Good to have back up and another set of eyes.

I usually drive away from CL sales where the other party brings another man to hold his hand.

I don't want the buyer/seller ganging up on me (as they did in this news story) by bringing his thug friends along.  If I see he can't conduct a deal by himself as an adult, I'll find someone else to deal with :-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

i always do transactions at very public places as well.
and am ALWAYS armed.
and never go straight home. i go so far as driving through a few neighborhoods i dont live in when buying or selling fun related items(never sold a gun before, but have bought a few accessories from craigslist)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Good shoot. I always do FTF deals armed as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another good shoot.  This happened right down the road from me.  I actually bought a shotgun (sweet wood stock 1300 Defender 12) from a guy in the Cracker Barrel parking lot right next door to this IHOP a few months ago.  He had really good feedback on the other gun sight so I wasn't too concerned but I did exercise my right as a Texas to have a pistol in my car just in case.  I'm just patiently waiting for the great state of Texas to send me my CHL.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Man_shot_during_Craigslist_transaction.html

By Valentino Lucio   - Express-News

A man, who attempted to make a Craigslist transaction, ended up shooting a would-be buyer Monday afternoon on the city's Northwest Side, officials said.

The 21-year-old buyer was shot twice in the left leg and was taken to Wilford Hall Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. He faces charge of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon after he tried to take the camera away from the seller, a police report states.

Neither the buyer, nor the seller were identified.

The shooting occurred around noon in the parking lot of an IHOP restaurant in the 120 block of Southwest Loop 410 near U.S. 151, the report states. The seller told police he placed a camera for sale on Craigslist and that he went to meet the alleged buyer at the IHOP parking lot. As the seller waited in his vehicle at the restaurant, he noticed the buyer and two other men in a car. When the seller called the assailant over to make the transaction, the buyer approached the vehicle with another man and demanded a camera, the report states. The 37-year-old seller saw the man lift his shirt to retrieve a weapon and that's when he pulled out a handgun and shot the assailant twice, the report states.

The assailant managed to make his way to a nearby Cracker Barrel restaurant where police found him. It is unknown if police found his weapon or the two other assailants.

It is likely the seller will not face any charges in the shooting, police said.  - gotta love Texas

It wont help you much there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is likely the seller will not face any charges in the shooting, police said.

KENS-5 reported that the shooter has a CHL, and all 3 suspects are now in custody.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Did a FTF from our EE in Plano last weekend.  No Problems.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#32]
if i was doing a high dollar transaction i would tell them it will go down in the local police station.
gun related, then no, all else, police station.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I have some items to get rid of and haven't decided which way to go.  Ebay would be much easier it seems, even with looking at the hassle to get started.  You get the cash first, then mail it at your convenience.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I've eaten there many times.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]

I wonder if the "buyer" asked for change?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Ive done plenty of FTF's from the EE inn walmart parking lots in the south side of San Antonio and never had any issues.  Was always packing though, good shoot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I always carry and bring a friend whose also carrying if I can when I am doing FTF deals.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd charge the seller/shooter with poor aiming and send his ass back to the range.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd charge the seller/shooter with poor aiming and send his ass back to the range.

Nah, going for the femural artery shot.  Lethal as hell and you can tell the jury that you "didn't want to kill the guy".

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm packing when I order shit off the internet.

When the UPS/FedX guy shows up......Still packing.

GM
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I do all my FTF deals in New Jersey.  You cant carry there, so Im safe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm packing for EVERY Craigslist sale or purchase.  And any gun-related purchases/sales are made in the parking lot of Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque.

-David
Edgewood, NM

I went out on a limb and posted my Jeep Liberty for sale before I bought my FJ Cruiser.....I packed every time I showed the car
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I definitely pack when doing a F2F from CL or BackPage.com, buying or selling.

Backpage is how I sold my extra AR lower. CL wouldn't let me.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I always carry for stuff like that especially craiglist

showing up with cash or product to meet a stranger you would be a moron not to
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#45]
What do you guys do when the hooker is late?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did a FTF from our EE in Plano last weekend.  No Problems.    

For the record I've done several FTF's with members here and everyone has been exceptional.

I've had good luck with CL, so far, I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#47]

I've never had a Craigslist transaction I wasn't carrying and won't. This is a world full of shitbags, and it's best to not take chances.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Wal-mart has more security cameras than the White House... Definitely a good place for FTF deals.

Ever notice that few cars get broken into at Wal-Mart's these days? There is a reason for that.

Quoted:

Ive done plenty of FTF's from the EE inn walmart parking lots in the south side of San Antonio and never had any issues.  Was always packing though, good shoot.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This is why I do F2Fs at walmart parking lot. Well lit. Lots of people 24/7. Recorded on camera.

Walmart is my go to location for FTF deals as well. Cameras all over the place, people, and usually a cop or two.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wal-mart has more security cameras than the White House... Definitely a good place for FTF deals.

Ever notice that few cars get broken into at Wal-Mart's these days? There is a reason for that.

Quoted:

I've done plenty of FTF's from the EE inn walmart parking lots in the south side of San Antonio and never had any issues.  Was always packing though, good shoot.

Actually not so much.

I had a case five years ago that involved an incident in the wal-mart parking lot. Client said that if I got the tapes from wal-mart they would completely exonerate him. He was said to have pulled a gun out of his pants and waved it around in the air. It was late at night and the witness and the witnesses father were the only people who saw it.

Walmart filibustered. Would not turn the tapes over, or allow them to be viewed. Did everything in their power to stop us including destroying the tapes.

Why not just subpoena the tapes? In GA you can subpoena things like tapes but unlike civil discovery you cannot simply demand they be brought to your office. They have to be brought to a court date and at that court-date they have to be used as evidence. So you have to have a motion or hearing or trial to have them produced. By the time I was able to get a valid subpoena Wal-Mart had destroyed the tapes so they would not be involved.

So the moral of the story is, You can forget about Wal-mart using their tapes to help solve a crime. I was able to secure an acquittal for my client, but he never would have been prosecuted if those tapes had been made available.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top