Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/24/2015 1:16:54 PM EDT
http://bearingarms.com/man-dies-attempting-appendix-carry-reholster-milkwaukee/

A 22-year-old Milwaukee man accidentally shot himself in the femoral artery around 11:00 PM Friday evening while attempting to reholster a pistol. Despite the best efforts of the local hospital trauma units, Timothy Phonisay did not survive his wounds.

According to the Medical Examiner’s report,  Phonisay was apparently posing with a handgun and when he went to holster it, a round was fired and entered his right groin area.

Phonisay sustained two penetrating wounds to the right thigh. There was no bullet recovered or found on x-ray, according to the Medical Examiner’s report.

Authorities say Phonisay developed respiratory distress during surgery, at which time blood was found in the chest. A right-sided thoracotomy was performed and a significant amount of blood was removed through a chest tube.  Doctors were unclear where this blood came from, as no other injuries were identified.

The Medical Examiner’s report states that Phonisay’s cardiac status declined and staff was unable to keep up with the amount of blood loss. Phonisay was pronounced dead just before 1 a.m.  His death was ruled an accident.

Another news outlet, the Journal Sentinel, was able to provide a little more detail.

Phonisay was apparently posing with his gun and it discharged when he went to holster it, firing a round into his right groin and striking the femoral artery, according to the medical examiner’s report.

Phonisay purchased the Springfield .45-caliber handgun three months ago and had a concealed carry permit, according to the report.

It’s horrible that young Mr. Phonisay lost his life from such a preventable mistake. Let’s see if we can piece together what went wrong, in hopes of preventing similar tragedies in the future.

On Friday evening, Mr. Phonisay apparently decided that he wanted to talk a selfie with his handgun, described in the Journal Sentinel as a “Springfield .45 -caliber handgun.”

While there is the possibility that Mr. Phonisay was carrying one of Springfield Armory’s 1911-style pistols, it is statistically more likely that he was carrying one of the company’s more popular polymer-framed, striker-fired pistols from the XD, XD(M), or XD(S) lines. The polymer frame Springfield pistols are less expensive, lighter, and more commonly sold than the 1911s, and are unfortunately more frequently associated with negligent discharges.

Mr. Phonisay shot himself while reholstering his pistol, and the fact that he shot his femoral artery on the right side of his groin confirms he was attempting to reholster a gun carried in the appendix position.

We do not know, and are likely to never know, is if Mr. Phonisay still had his finger inside the triggerguard of his pistol and accidentally depressed the trigger with his finger, or if the firearm’s trigger snagged on an article of clothing or the holster itself causing it to fire. What is known is that something depressed the trigger while he was reholstering, causing the gun to discharge.

Mr. Phonisay had only owned this hand gun for three months. It is probable that he did not have much training beyond that mandated to obtain a concealed carry permit in Wisconsin, and he almost certainly had no formal instruction in how to use an appendix carry holster.

Use of a proper appendix carry holster and proper technique ensures that you will not point the firearm at your femoral artery. Unfortunately, it is obvious that Mr. Phonisay didn’t follow correct technique, and the gun pointed towards his body, ensuring this negligent discharge would become a fatal one.

AIWB is a wonderful carry position. It is very comfortable and secure, and fast to draw when needed. Like every carry technique, however, it requires some training and practice to do safely.

Our sincere condolences go out to Mr. Phonisay’s family and friends.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid fuck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
hemothorax from a GSW to the groin?

details.  they're missing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Every Springfield owner should know to keep your damn hand off the grip safety (and obviously the trigger) when reholstering, makes an ND impossible.

Feel sorry for the guys family though
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Appendix carry is an absolutely ridiculous idea.  I cringe when I see folks trying to holster their weapon while carrying appendix sitting down, especially with a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Off to pistol-training.com!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

http://bearingarms.com/man-dies-attempting-appendix-carry-reholster-milkwaukee/

A 22-year-old Milwaukee man accidentally shot himself in the femoral artery around 11:00 PM Friday evening while attempting to reholster a pistol. Despite the best efforts of the local hospital trauma units, Timothy Phonisay did not survive his wounds.

According to the Medical Examiner’s report,  Phonisay was apparently posing with a handgun and when he went to holster it, a round was fired and entered his right groin area.

Phonisay sustained two penetrating wounds to the right thigh. There was no bullet recovered or found on x-ray, according to the Medical Examiner’s report.

Authorities say Phonisay developed respiratory distress during surgery, at which time blood was found in the chest. A right-sided thoracotomy was performed and a significant amount of blood was removed through a chest tube.  Doctors were unclear where this blood came from, as no other injuries were identified.

The Medical Examiner’s report states that Phonisay’s cardiac status declined and staff was unable to keep up with the amount of blood loss. Phonisay was pronounced dead just before 1 a.m.  His death was ruled an accident.

Another news outlet, the Journal Sentinel, was able to provide a little more detail.

Phonisay was apparently posing with his gun and it discharged when he went to holster it, firing a round into his right groin and striking the femoral artery, according to the medical examiner’s report.

Phonisay purchased the Springfield .45-caliber handgun three months ago and had a concealed carry permit, according to the report.

It’s horrible that young Mr. Phonisay lost his life from such a preventable mistake. Let’s see if we can piece together what went wrong, in hopes of preventing similar tragedies in the future.

On Friday evening, Mr. Phonisay apparently decided that he wanted to talk a selfie with his handgun, described in the Journal Sentinel as a "Springfield .45 -caliber handgun.”

While there is the possibility that Mr. Phonisay was carrying one of Springfield Armory’s 1911-style pistols, it is statistically more likely that he was carrying one of the company’s more popular polymer-framed, striker-fired pistols from the XD, XD(M), or XD(S) lines. The polymer frame Springfield pistols are less expensive, lighter, and more commonly sold than the 1911s, and are unfortunately more frequently associated with negligent discharges.

Mr. Phonisay shot himself while reholstering his pistol, and the fact that he shot his femoral artery on the right side of his groin confirms he was attempting to reholster a gun carried in the appendix position.

We do not know, and are likely to never know, is if Mr. Phonisay still had his finger inside the triggerguard of his pistol and accidentally depressed the trigger with his finger, or if the firearm’s trigger snagged on an article of clothing or the holster itself causing it to fire. What is known is that something depressed the trigger while he was reholstering, causing the gun to discharge.

Mr. Phonisay had only owned this hand gun for three months. It is probable that he did not have much training beyond that mandated to obtain a concealed carry permit in Wisconsin, and he almost certainly had no formal instruction in how to use an appendix carry holster.

Use of a proper appendix carry holster and proper technique ensures that you will not point the firearm at your femoral artery. Unfortunately, it is obvious that Mr. Phonisay didn’t follow correct technique, and the gun pointed towards his body, ensuring this negligent discharge would become a fatal one.

AIWB is a wonderful carry position. It is very comfortable and secure, and fast to draw when needed. Like every carry technique, however, it requires some training and practice to do safely.

View Quote
View Quote

I think I found the issue.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
What a stupid fuck.

Am I in before the "appendix carry is retarded/Glock leg" crowd?

ETA: Well shit, too slow.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appendix carry is an absolutely ridiculous idea.  I cringe when I see folks trying to holster their weapon while carrying appendix sitting down, especially with a Glock.
View Quote

This.....even reading about it shrivels the twins.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My #1 reason why I don't appendix carry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Does anyone make a "bullet-proof" holster?

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

No agenda.....

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]

<snip>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

<snip>

Quoted:

Stupid fuck.

I love GD, it's so worth the $24.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
he was a poser alright
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The best safety is between your ears. Do NOT re holster with the holster still IWB.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd wager that he was "felon" carrying, and that there wasn't a holster involved at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Fuck that noise. Not worth the .2 seconds that it is faster
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best safety is between your ears. Do NOT re holster with the holster still IWB.
View Quote

HAHAHAHHAHA

Say What?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably shouldn't carry a gun at all then. You know, if you decide to be careless and ND into your body somehow.

Careless is careless, doesn't matter where/how you carry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been doing it for years...but it is a kydex holster (Not nylon or leather) and I carry strong side not appendix....
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'd wager that he was "felon" carrying, and that there wasn't a holster involved at all.
View Quote

Might want to take the time to read the article. Had holster, carry permit, ect. Not felon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have been doing it for years...but it is a kydex holster (Not nylon or leather) and I carry strong side not appendix....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I re-holster AIWB, but not unlike other dangerous activities, it should be done with caution.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You wagered incorrectly.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No agenda.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No agenda.....

Actually I don't have an agenda and I agree with the above statement.

For someone with the proper training, it's fine.  3 month gun owner, not only no, but fucking hell no.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2  Not worth the risk involved.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reading between the lines, I think he had a CCW permit, so not a felon.

It states he likely had no training beyond the CCW training. While they didn't say he had a CCW, I think that statement implied it positively enough that it is likely that he did.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, it was supposed to be a through and through of the leg.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

So if I practice shooting from concealed,

1)  I draw and fire
2)  Put gun on table
3)  Loosen belt to facilitate removing IWB holster.
4)  Take holster off belt.
5)  Reholster gun
6)  Put holster back IWB
7)  Tighten belt
8)  Go to 1
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Something is seriously wrong with the story. Curious what the ER did to the guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Might want to take the time to read the article. Had holster, carry permit, ect. Not felon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading Is Fundamental.  "Felon Carry" is stuffing it in the waistband, no holster.  Different from a "felon" carrying...  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

They included all that needs to be said.  .45 acp.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, this is what I have taught my kids, if you pull  iron, pull the holster,reholster the firearm, them reinsert the loaded holster IWB....every single time..regardless when/where you are...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
What brand of holster was being used?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Peace out, dipshit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
When I Appendix carry, I always remove my holster, put the gun in and then put the holstered gun in my belt.  I never 're-holster'
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just don't re-holster when appendix carry. I just don't. I take the holster out and then slide the gun in. It gives more control and you get to point the gun in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
When I Appendix carry, I always remove my holster, put the gun in and then put the holstered gun in my belt.  I never 're-holster'

I just don't re-holster when appendix carry either. I just don't. I take the holster out and then slide the gun in. It gives more control and you get to point the gun in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Peace out, dipshit.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]
at this thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

shenanigans
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck, fuck, fuck appendix carry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep. Something is seriously wrong with the story. Curious what the ER did to the guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than likely, he required CPR.
Someone may have broken some ribs, puncturing his lung, or causing other trauma to the chest.
Not uncommon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#43]

so he shot himself twice?

only way to do that is to pull the trigger twice

this has nothing to do with the holster or the carry, although I do not use appendix carry because I don't like having a loaded gun pointed at my junk
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#44]
If you are stupid enough to try to reholster with any inside the waistband gear without taking the thing out of your pants, inserting the pistol and then returning the whole thing to your pants, you have earned the hole you put in yourself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
shenanigans

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

shenanigans

He will never shenan again.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It states he likely had no training beyond the CCW training. While they didn't say he had a CCW, I think that statement implied it positively enough that it is likely that he did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Felon carry" is the practice of carrying AIWB without a holster, not a legal status.

That "news source" is rather notorious.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I'm in
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. Remove holster

2. Insert pistol in holster

3. Insert holstered pistol in pants

Not rocket surgery. All quite doable without shooting one's self.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you are stupid enough to try to reholster with any inside the waistband gear without taking the thing out of your pants, inserting the pistol and then returning the whole thing to your pants, you have earned the hole you put in yourself.
View Quote

so I have to take my belt of any time I want to reholster?

doing something safe vs doing something retarded...well its just retarded...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

so he shot himself twice?

only way to do that is to pull the trigger twice

this has nothing to do with the holster or the carry, although I do not use appendix carry because I don't like having a loaded gun pointed at my junk
View Quote

It is common practice to identify penetrating trauma wounds as "one, two" and so on.
Not witnessing the event, one could not say with certainty which wound was an entrance or exit.
Although, often times, it's very evident.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top