Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 7:00:42 AM EDT
I am building a home/property defense rifle I want a combination of being able to get on target fast and also be accurate. Since i love to plink i wouldn't mind having a combo that i could shoot out to 500 meters

The only optics i have used have been the M68 CCO by aimpoint works good but i have heard good stuff about the acog line.

What do you guys recommend, i would also like something that if it gets knocked around it will still work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to get an eotech for my m4 i'm building.  That should work well enough for plinking, home defense(with a light) and other needs out to 200-300yds.  I've also seen a couple of AR's with scopes mounted on the handguard rails,  just flip the gun sidways and line up your 500 yard shot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it is USA optics that makes a 1-4 illuminated reticle scope.
Would be about the closest you could hope for, as you are asking for two very different things.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Eotech.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
A lot of people who know better than I are advocating iron sights (read through that thread, good stuff).  If you're thinking about low powered variables like Leisure_Shoot mentioned, here's a comparison site from comments and images on AR15.com:  CQB-Intermediate Range, Illuminated Variables.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Is 500 meters a little long for the legs of an M4? I was under the impression that's a 200 meter weapon.

I have a DPMS shorty that I have an OKO reflex on a scout mount for closer-type stuff, and the irons are completely unimpeded. Pretty nice and basic set-up, got it from Dillon Precision. The OKO was $199 and the Scout mount was $65. If you use the scout mount you WILL have to fabricate a screwdriver ("L" shaped at the tip) to adjust the elevation screw. (cheap small screwdriver, a propane torch and a vise)
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
maybe i should just keep irons less stuff to go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Just stay with the irons.  Less to go wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top