Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 1:01:01 PM EDT
I saw a hand printed sign with a phone number posted at an intersection the other day.

It read "Learn Spanish"

I wanted to get out and post a sign under it reading "Why? I live in America and we speak ENGLISH here."

Earlier I had passed a billboard (in Marietta, GA) where every single word was in Spanish.

I am fucking sick of this.  This is MY goddamn country, and as FUCKED-UP as it is I still love it and care.  I was born here, I pay my taxes, I went to my gubernmint schools.  Why then, am I forced to feel like a STRANGER in MY country, when the real STRANGERS can do what they want and if THEY get "offended" because they are unable to communicate in a country that is FORIEGN to THEM, I PAY THE GODDAMN PRICE.

I am thinking of getting a lawsuit together for STRICTLY publicity purposes.  If every little group can bitch and complain and SUE because of some PERCEIVED offense, why can't I join the herd and take MY "offense" as a CITIZEN of this country and sue because I felt belittled?

I know a suit like that would get thrown out, but it MIGHT make people think instead of just accepting the take-over like good little sheeple.

This country was made great by dozens of diverse cultural groups coming to ONE place and speaking ONE language.  This magical thing called AMERICA happened because people with different views and ideas could SHARE them and COMMUNICATE and DISCUSS and UNDERSTAND each other.  Remove that understanding and the MAGIC WILL DIE.

I am sure, POSITIVE, that there are WONDERFUL, GOOD people in the millions of immigrants, legal and Illegal; BUT!!!!  I will never get to know them.  I will be FORCED to group people PURELY because of where they are from and the language that they speak.  That is UN-American, and it is brought to you and me by our favorite people, The Left; who embrace Multi-culturalism, not on the basis of "respect for others" but on the basis of fragmenting society to creat easily controlled groups that don't trust each other and must look to the GOVERNMENT for support and guidance.

The Left vilifies anyone who does not follow a multi-cultural doctrine, by calling them bigots.

I would be considered a bigot.

I believe that there is nothing wrong with speaking your mother tongue at home, or with friends or co-workers.  I believe, however, that when you conduct business or politics or anything serious and important, it should be in english.  I believe that if your culture has a holiday or religious observance, that you can celebrate it in what ever manner is yours (as long as no laws get broken, e.g. animal sacrifice).   I believe that bringing your foods from your homeland is great, I LOVE to try new things.  I don't believe that you should wear your motherland's native garb all the time.  It would be pretty damn disconcerting to ride a bus or have a meeting with a guy in a loin cloth, BUT, if you are celebrating at home or with a group of country-men, have at it. People wear lederhosen to Octoberfest, but you don't see them wearing it to the board meeting on Monday.  I believe that you can retain your cultural identity in America and still speak english.  Look at all the Chinatowns, Little Italys, and Germantowns across America, but when you go there you can converse with nearly everyone in English.  Not the same in Little Mexico, or Little Somalia, or South Miami.  I feel like a "furriner" there.  I get evil looks when I try to ask a question in english, like I am the one who is WRONG.  I get MOCKED behind my back if I try to say something in a language other then my own.  I am an outsider.

And yet I am the bigot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The english language is not the offical language of "your" country.

Cry about it.

Geez atleast it didnt say "get yosef an edukashun, lern eboniks."
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, it was probably just an advertisement for someone who wants to teach the Spanish language.

Would it have made you any madder if it was a sign that said "Learn German", or "Swahili"?

I agree with some of your rationale, I was ranting a while back on a similar post.  I am an American, but my ancestry is Mexican.  I, too, believe that when one conducts politics or business, it should be in accordance with the official language of the country in which the activities in question are being held.  That said, should you travel to Mexico, or Japan, or some place in Europe, you should be able to communicate in the tongue of the country you are visiting, instead of having to make them accommodate you.  

As I had said in the earlier post, that is one thing I hate about many Hispanic peoples.  They come to the United States (illegal immigration notwithstanding) and essentially make no effort to become American.  One should not HAVE to learn two languages -- me, I know Spanish and English fluently because I choose to, and because in my neck of the woods, it is convenient for dealing with those less fluent in English.  What I really despise are those folks who have lived here for decades but have had people accommodate them for all those years, so when someone asks them a simple question in English all you get is "¿Qué?"  I learned both languages, as have many other Hispanic people, and you lazy dumbasses, pendejos flojos, you know who you are, get off your asses and learn English!!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard that there is no official language here.  Is this true?

By the way, I don't hate foreign languages, I just hate having to select English on the money machine.  Why don't they just give you an option for other languages, but default to English if you don't press the Spanish button?  WTF???
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just be glad we don't speak German and be thankful for the diversity and freedom that is US of A.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've heard that there is no official language here.  Is this true?

That is true.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya know what I hate? Those gosh darn little lids on coffee cups. If you don't want to spill coffee on yourself you shouldn't be driving with it!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
hehehehe
"Can we get rid of all the Mexicans?"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just be glad we don't speak German and be thankful for the diversity and freedom that is US of A.

German almost became our National Language BTW at the founding of our Country, it fell short by one vote IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
That post should be removed,It is very ignorant and stupid.To think your even able to own a gun.Fucking Idiot.(fortyfive Auto) I see is very easy for you to cower behind the PC,and speak what your small mind thinks is right.

Anyways, with most of these companys I bet if you check it out its probably not even "owned" by Mexicans.The "MAN" is profitting off of the mexicans to much to send them back.A few more years from now you will see more signs on learning more languages than Mexican,everyone is coming to the USA.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude, I think you might be a bigot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I smell trolls all over this thread.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
hehehehe
"Can we get rid of all the Mexicans?"

No Mr. Garrison we cannot get rid of all the Mexicans.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]
That wasn't a command, someone was offering to teach spanish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That post should be removed,It is very ignorant and stupid.To think your even able to own a gun.Fucking Idiot.(fortyfive I.Q)Must be a red neck!

Anyways, with most of the companys I bet if you check it out its probably not even "owned" by Mexicans.A few more years from now you will see more signs on learning more languages than Mexican,everyone is coming to the USA.

First of all, it's Spanish, not Mexican.  And coming from TX, I would think you'd know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to people who can't (or won't) speak English.  

And with Hispanic people being the #1 fastest growing minority in America, the problem of learning Spanish to attract commerce is one that is quickly becoming a more pressing issue.  If you don't care that English may phase out at this rate in a couple centuries, then more power to you.  I made the error of assuming that English was the official language of the U.S. (I thought they had proposed it a few years back, but I guess it never followd thru).  But when you enter a country, you'd be much better off earning the respect of those who are native to that country by speaking the PREDOMINANT language.  That's the single point I was trying to make.  So fuck you

ETA: At least my sentences are coherent and intelligible.  And you WOULD try to censor my opinions, wouldn't you, you fucking commie.  You're probably one of those lazy bean0rs, too.  Learn English
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And yet I am the bigot.

Whoa.  You were starting to make sense - and then the whole post just ended.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell the Spanish settled Florida almost 500 years ago and held it the longest of all Euro nations ever. I am not surprised. Then again I live in south Florida so I amm used to it.

I hate ebonics and inbred sounding bumpkin talk more than Spanish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I went to the mall in Eagle Pass, TX.  I was hard pressed to find anyone who spoke English.  This was a big mall with a Walmart attached.  Plus, this was on a crowded weekend.  

I couldn't offer my patronage to several stores because I couldn't effectively communicate with the employees.

I then went to get a haircut and had to rummage through many pages of several catalogs before I could find a military style haircut.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
You live close to Eagle Pass?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You live close to Eagle Pass?

No, I was working.  Why?

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
oh.  my parents do, and i will, soon as i'm done here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I can barely speak English...

MT
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
oh.  my parents do, and i will, soon as i'm done here.

It's a beautiful area (outside of town) and I would certainly enjoy revisiting.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I love that area, and ranch land is dirt cheap over there.

My parents live in Del Rio, but I will be in San Antonio.  One more month and bye bye Tallahassee!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That post should be removed,It is very ignorant and stupid.To think your even able to own a gun.Fucking Idiot.(fortyfive I.Q)Must be a red neck!

Anyways, with most of the companys I bet if you check it out its probably not even "owned" by Mexicans.A few more years from now you will see more signs on learning more languages than Mexican,everyone is coming to the USA.

First of all, it's Spanish, not Mexican.  And coming from TX, I would think you'd know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to people who can't (or won't) speak English.  

And with Hispanic people being the #1 fastest growing minority in America, the problem of learning Spanish to attract commerce is one that is quickly becoming a more pressing issue.  If you don't care that English may phase out at this rate in a couple centuries, then more power to you.  I made the error of assuming that English was the official language of the U.S. (I thought they had proposed it a few years back, but I guess it never followd thru).  But when you enter a country, you'd be much better off earning the respect of those who are native to that country by speaking the PREDOMINANT language.  That's the single point I was trying to make.  So fuck you herent

Just goes to show you, a Idiot is still a Idiot no matter how well you type.Yes, I also get my fill of beans a dayhippie.gif.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I never said for anyone to "get out".

Hot damn you're a Rembrandt
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, I know plenty of mexican spanish:

tacos burritos tostados!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Con George Bush hasta el año 2008.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh ya ,you said get rid! I thought you ment get out,I see your a little more serious.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#29]
¡Somos unidos con BUSH!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Oh ya ,you said get rid! I thought you ment get out,I see your a little more serious.

LOL
Dude, I didn't even know what you were referring to before!  This might be a HUGE misunderstanding!

When I said "Can we get rid of all the Mexicans," I was quoting something Mr. Garrison on South Park (that cartoon on Comedy Central) said, to which the mayor said "No, Mr. Garrison, we cannot get rid of all the Mexicans..."  (someone else posted that reply, as a joke, ya know...)

Anyway, if that was the basis for your flame, it was all a joke, just a harmless South Park quote.  Viva la Raza!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Una victoria de Bush es una victoria para los Estados Unidos de América.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#32]
¡Gritelo, hombre!  ¡Unidos con Bush!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Una victoria de Bush es una victoria para los Estados Unidos de América.

Convengo!  Necesitamos a hispanos en nuestro lado!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#34]
My Spanish isn't great.  I don't know what Convengo o Gritelo mean.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

This country was made great by dozens of diverse cultural groups coming to ONE place and speaking ONE language.  This magical thing called AMERICA happened because people with different views and ideas could SHARE them and COMMUNICATE and DISCUSS and UNDERSTAND each other.  Remove that understanding and the MAGIC WILL DIE.

Ummm, dude, you need to go back to history class.

The colonists that were present in America at the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were all from diverse cultures with different views, ideas and languages.  They were people here that spoke English, Dutch, German, Polish, French (why do you think Louisiania has towns with funny names and wierd cooking styles) and probably every other language you could think of, and no, they didn't all decide to learn english.  There was constant fighting during the Constitutional Convention about what language to write it in, Dutch, German and English were considered and hotly debated.  

This is what we call Ethnocentrism.  You speak english, therefore you assume that English is the "correct" language and figure that the Founding Fathers must have felt the same way.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My Spanish isn't great.  I don't know what Convengo o Gritelo mean.  

i think convengo is 'i agree' dunno what 'gritelo' is
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe I should try looking at cartoons a little. Iam just trying to say that we as Americans have a whole lot more to worry about then Mexicans,and Spanish.Illegals and leagals are coming in from all over the world,with all kinds of languages,and its wrong to point only one out.Doesn't that make one small minded?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#38]
it's all good.  speak what you know, babelfish when in doubt

btw, gritelo = "shout it"
convengo = "agreed"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Maybe I should try looking at cartoons a little. Iam just trying to say that we as Americans have a whole lot more to worry about then Mexicans,and Spanish.Illegals and leagals are coming in from all over the world,with all kinds of languages,and its wrong to point only one out.Doesn't that make one small minded?

nah it doesn't; but learning to speak spanish is good for business, esp. when it is the fastest growing minority in the world.  now i wonder what would happen to business if they started to greet more african americans with ebonics....
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#40]
english is good

"learn spanish"? nope folks should learn ENGLISH

h/w its not bad to learn spanish (or any other lang, except french); learning is good
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I learned during my studies of sociology and social psychology that a little ethnocentrism every now and then is necessary.  The melting pot is not a bad thing - just not something to fly into immediately.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]
yeah screw french!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh, and thanks for the Spanish lesson.  I'll have those 2 words memorized in short order.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe I should try looking at cartoons a little.hat

nah it doesn't; but learning to speak spanish is good for business, esp. when it is the fastest growing minority in the world.  now i wonder what would happen to business if they started to greet more african americans with ebonics....hr
Thats the point I am trying to make !

In America we should learn to speak one common laguage, I just don't think its right to point out one race only,and then shit on them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Point taken, 'Driver, and agreed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Yo quiero Taco Bell
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#47]
It might not be the "official language", but you are still required to know it to become a citizen.

assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode08/usc_sec_08_00001423----000-.html

TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER III > Part II > § 1423 Prev | Next

§ 1423. Requirements as to understanding the English language, history, principles and form of government of the United States

Release date: 2004-02-11

(a) No person except as otherwise provided in this subchapter shall hereafter be naturalized as a citizen of the United States upon his own application who cannot demonstrate—
(1) an understanding of the English language, including an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language: Provided, That the requirements of this paragraph relating to ability to read and write shall be met if the applicant can read or write simple words and phrases to the end that a reasonable test of his literacy shall be made and that no extraordinary or unreasonable condition shall be imposed upon the applicant; and
(2) a knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, and of the principles and form of government, of the United States.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Yo quiero Taco Bell

mmmmmm ..... Empanada. <-- kinda like pie
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm, dude, you need to go back to history class.

The colonists that were present in America at the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were all from diverse cultures with different views, ideas and languages.  They were people here that spoke English, Dutch, German, Polish, French (why do you think Louisiania has towns with funny names and wierd cooking styles) and probably every other language you could think of, and no, they didn't all decide to learn english.  There was constant fighting during the Constitutional Convention about what language to write it in, Dutch, German and English were considered and hotly debated.  

This is what we call Ethnocentrism.  You speak english, therefore you assume that English is the "correct" language and figure that the Founding Fathers must have felt the same way.  

I was referring to America over a period of time, not just the inception.  I acknowledge that there have always been different language groups, but you do have to admit that the Founding Fathers DID decide to write it in english.  They came to an agreement and formed a nation.  I sadly, doubt that the same could occur today.

My parents grew up in 1940's Jersey City where the immigrant tradition was still extraordinarily strong.  However, even though the city did self-segregate into ethinic areas, the immigrants struggled to learn english because they knew it was the path to success.  They made their children learn english properly so that the next generation of citizens could be a part of the American greatness.  The country has never been perfect, but previous generations will and want to learn the proper communication skills is a dying belief.  

English might not be the "correct" language, but I will reference a couple items I think are important.  The INTERNATIONAL language of aviation is English.  There is no room for miscommunication when hundreds of peoples lives are on the line.  Just imagine the disasters that would occur if every Tower and ATC would have to understand all languages.  

In Kenya, English is the business language.  Swahili might be the "official" language, but the Kenyans understand that to communicate with the world on a business level, the BEST way to do it is in english.

Communication brings people together and enables them to do great things.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Screw diversity. Diversity did not make this country great. Remember the great melting pot idea? Today we don't have the melting pot we have the refiner's smelter. Break everyone into little specific ethnic groups or whatever divisions they can. This is the opposite of what made America great.

What made America great was diverse people coming together and bringing their differences into the greater community. We are no longer the united people we once were for this very reason. Many ask why the country is so polarized! Because we have been diversified! It is destroying the importance of anything we once held in common. We have elevated the value of our individual pasts above that of our collective future. Planerench out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top