Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2012 3:03:29 PM EDT
While shooting my Hi-power today its two-piece barrel came apart at the seam.  No pictures yet but it appears whatever bonded together the two pieces failed.  There was no damage to the pistol.

Anyone had this happen to them?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
We're talking about a Browning?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it is genuine Browning call them, not email Call.  If it's not browning, see if Sarco has a new barrel.  This is a gunsmith install, they are not drop in.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Unimpossible.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it is genuine Browning call them, not email Call.  If it's not browning, see if Sarco has a new barrel.  This is a gunsmith install, they are not drop in.

Wouldn't a local gunsmith be able to reattach the two pieces?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's new to me. Care to explain?

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You might get better info in the browning handgun forum
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
No. Get on the phone with Browning CS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Would love to see pics.

Hope you get it straightened out.

BTW- do you know the round count of the gun, much +P, etc?

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably not....they are finished dimensioned after being put together....

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I do wanna see pics, too.  Was it a true Browning or FN Hi Power????

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a FEG with a barrel that separated.  They covered it under the warranty but they're out of business now
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a FEG with a barrel that separated.  They covered it under the warranty but they're out of business now

Ouch.  When did they go out of business?  

Or am I hopelessly behind the times, and my procrastination has got me in trouble (not new––––called S&W for a part a couple days ago to finally fix a model 64 that has been 10-7 for a while and was told I was SOL, as the 64-4 was obsolete and they don't have any parts for them anymore.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a 1970s FEG Hi-power.  It was an engagement gift.  

The barrel:

Also, why a two piece barrel?  Seems overly complicated and prone to failure.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, my Browning is....never mind...
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#21]
JB Weld it and get back to shooting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, should that have been hi temp silver-soldered?

My Oct 1944 Inglis Mk1* has a barrel made in one piece from a forging.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]
why not mention its an FM in the first post?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Partly 'cause it is a FEG, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Starting around 1962 all FN Hi Power barrels went from a single forging to two piece barrels.
VERY rare to have one separate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.  When did they go out of business?  

Or am I hopelessly behind the times, and my procrastination has got me in trouble (not new––––called S&W for a part a couple days ago to finally fix a model 64 that has been 10-7 for a while and was told I was SOL, as the 64-4 was obsolete and they don't have any parts for them anymore.)

2007.  Numrich has their parts inventory and of course Browning parts interchange.

Dang.  I am behind the times.   In '05 I knew I needed the part, but just left it be 'till that mythical "later" that never seems to come around.  Guess I will check Numrich tomorrow (on a side note, they ended up having the part I needed for the 64-4 as well, just at a higher price than S&W would have sold it for.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#27]
You could also check with Cylinder & Slide or Novak to see if they fix barrels...  worth a try.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
JB Weld it back together.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You could also check with Cylinder & Slide or Novak to see if they fix barrels...  worth a try.

Have a good smith ( such as Cylinder and Slide )  fit a Bar Sto barrel to your HP....you won't be disappointed.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have a good smith ( such as Cylinder and Slide )  fit a Bar Sto barrel to your HP....you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, but this is a FEG.....

My FEG has an outstanding trigger...  but I hear many FEG triggers are not all that great...

And even though my FEG has a great trigger it is still a FEG, so I personally would go for the least expensive fix...  I think....

And I have never had a problem swapping out Browning Hi Power barrels between different pistols... including my FEG.

I might try buying a decent used Browning barrel and drop that in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Browning Hi-Power that I've owned since the 80's, its one forged piece.  Can you show a picture of yours? (sorry posted before I saw the pictures)  I guess I need to have a look at mine
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#32]
You know, since they manufacture the barrel in two pieces....  and since it came apart with no damage....  getting that same barrel back together can't be too difficult or expensive, or so it would seem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You know, since they manufacture the barrel in two pieces....  and since it came apart with no damage....  getting that same barrel back together can't be too difficult or expensive, or so it would seem.

Cheaper to buy a replacement barrel...I would think.  Unless you are a gunsmith who could do the work yourself.  

I just took mine apart and it looks one piece.  Its an older Hi-Power, did they change the manufacturing process at some point?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I thought they put them together by heating the collar/lug peice to make it larger, then smacking it into the barrel, and when it cooled it would then be a seriously tight friction fit.

IIRC, they do cylinder liners on some engine blocks like that.  I should think you could easily silver solder it back together, perhaps have a gunsmith silver solder, then maybe see if a solid straight pin could be press fit into an undersized hole that transects the barrel through the locking lug block?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#35]
If there is still some friction between the 2 parts I would clean thouroughly and use Loctite Bearing Retainer.
I've seen 1911 .45 2 piece barrels also.
I don't think I would silver solder those pieces.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Partly 'cause it is a FEG, I guess.

It's like telling everyone about your 'Vette and omitting the fact that it's a CHE-Vette...
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If there is still some friction between the 2 parts I would clean thouroughly and use Loctite Bearing Retainer.
I've seen 1911 .45 2 piece barrels also.
I don't think I would silver solder those pieces.

Oh, Loctite, thats a good idea.  You can blue the crap out of stuff with that.

The only thing I can say is that I don't think I would trust that particular barrel with my life in the future, regardless of the fix.  I'd probably shoot it again, but I don't think I'd use it as a carry weapon or a nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

JB Weld it and get back to shooting.

That is exactly what I was thinking...

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Note the seam.
And yes, it's filthy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#40]
So about half the posters are telling me to buy a new barrel and have it fitted by a competent gunsmith while the other half say to JB Weld the old barrel.  This isn't a carry gun or self defense handgun, just a shooter.

Any other opinions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So about half the posters are telling me to buy a new barrel and have it fitted by a competent gunsmith while the other half say to JB Weld the old barrel.  This isn't a carry gun or self defense handgun, just a shooter.

If you buy a new barrel its just a plug and play.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I love the BHP and I never knew that the barrel was a two piece construction I learn something new everyday on this website
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you buy a new barrel its just a plug and play.  

Will a new barrel drop in and run? Probably. Will it fit properly and wear slowly in the lug areas? Doubtful.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a early '80's BHP barrel break on me but the lug just snapped off. I contacted Browning about it and sent it to the repair facility. They wouldn't touch it because the magazine disconnect had been removed.

I fitted a Bar-Sto barrel and still shoot it now and then.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Knurl it and press it on?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:30:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I installed a Bar-Sto in mine. It was easy. Complete instructions came with the barrel and with minor fitting, it locked up tight and shoots very accurately.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#48]
DO NOT JB WELD IT ,   they are a bunch of idiots on here that think that kind of crap is funny .  Get a new barrel and have a smith fit it or you could get injured or worse..
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

DO NOT JB WELD IT ,   they are a bunch of idiots on here that think that kind of crap is funny .  Get a new barrel and have a smith fit it or you could get injured or worse..

Agreed.  I hope no one took the JB weld idea as serious.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I suspect that if it comes apart in the gun, you'll get a horrible jam, not a Kaboom.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top