Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

JB Weld it back together.

Or a gunsmith could re-weld it

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So about half the posters are telling me to buy a new barrel and have it fitted by a competent gunsmith while the other half say to JB Weld the old barrel.  This isn't a carry gun or self defense handgun, just a shooter.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

Well, you did post this in GD, what did you expect?  BTW, I have the exact same pistol, and my FN HP barrel drops right in (although it binds a bit on lockup).  Chances are a replacement barrel will need minimal fitting.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some folks need to JB weld the old sarcasm meter.

I cant say for sure but a new barrel even with fitting might be cheaper....I just paid $200 just to have a front sight soldered back on...could just be because my area sucks as far as guns and gunsmithing goes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some folks need to JB weld the old sarcasm meter.

I cant say for sure but a new barrel even with fitting might be cheaper....I just paid $200 just to have a front sight soldered back on...could just be because my area sucks as far as guns and gunsmithing goes.

Same here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So about half the posters are telling me to buy a new barrel and have it fitted by a competent gunsmith while the other half say to JB Weld the old barrel.  This isn't a carry gun or self defense handgun, just a shooter.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

Well, you did post this in GD, what did you expect?  BTW, I have the exact same pistol, and my FN HP barrel drops right in (although it binds a bit on lockup).  Chances are a replacement barrel will need minimal fitting.

http://i44.tinypic.com/16k9v2g.jpg

Is that some sort of tactical ridge along the top of the HP?  What the hell do you attach to it, a scope?

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, just FYI...  when I had my Hi Power, my gunsmith told me that because of the way they (hot/cold) press fit those pieces together, any separation is usually evidence of an overpressure situation.  The pressure does not  have to get anywhere near the yield pressure for the materials, but just enough to spring the steel enough to increase the tolerance between the two pieces.

If it were me, I'd just go ahead and get a new barrel and get it fitted.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is that some sort of tactical ridge along the top of the HP?  What the hell do you attach to it, a scope?  

Back in the 70s and 80s putting those revolver-style sights on auto pistols was in vogue.

I like it in a Mel Tappan retro way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in the 70s and 80s putting those revolver-style sights on auto pistols was in vogue.

Where did 'vented ribs'begin, with revolvers or shotguns? I'm guessing they are both postwar features, but who was first?

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
D. W. King (King Gun Sight Co., San Francisco) was installing vented ribs on revolvers in the early 1930's, and probably earlier, but I have no documentation for earlier.
Not sure when they began with shotguns though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did 'vented ribs'begin, with revolvers or shotguns? I'm guessing they are both postwar features, but who was first?

Not sure but Tappan had several pics of M1911A1s with S&W revolver style sights fitted in Survival Guns.  I suppose considering what people were used to and what kind of sights the average auto-pistol came with at the time, it made sense.

Now it's purely retro-decorative.  

Quoted:
D. W. King (King Gun Sight Co., San Francisco) was installing vented ribs on revolvers in the early 1930's, and probably earlier, but I have no documentation for earlier.
Not sure when they began with shotguns though.

King was the company Tappan referred to, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#11]
That seems like a good application for a gunsmith-grade silver solder.   I don't know what the HP aftermarket barrel situation looks like, but it would be nice to have a match replacement fitted.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...it would be nice to have a match replacement fitted.

That's not a bad idea, along with replacing the extractor.  I'll have to search for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Update: had a good local gunsmith look at it and he was able to solder it back.  He had to heat both pieces, apply the solder and let the pieces cool down together for a good fit.  Total cost was 50 dollars.  Took it shooting yesterday and it was flawless.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top