Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2015 8:55:26 PM EDT
I lost my cat Friskie last week because of my stupidity. She was my little friend for 16 years. Took her to the vet to get her nails trimmed and vaccinated. We decided to put her back on 2 units of insulin per day, and instead of taking it to the first hash mark on the syringe I was taking it to the first bold hash mark which is 5 units. Came home to find her in a coma. I'll never understand what I was thinking that day. It's left a hole inside me. All those years I cared for and protected her and it turns out I was her deadliest threat.

I figure the best cure for a loss is another cat. Someone told me male cats can still spray even after being neutered. Anyone have that problem? My vet said thats rare.

I'm going to go visit this guy Saturday at an adoption center. He's got a brother too and I hate to break them up, although I really only wanted one. For now they would be indoor cats, then eventually they would be both indoor and outdoor.    

*Update* 6/28/15 (Mickey and Meeko) Born April 1st.

Brought the curtain climbers home Saturday. Kept them in my computer room all Sat evening and this morning let them explore the rest of the house. For hours all they did was run, play with the toys and wrestle with each other.

Even though they are like spider monkeys on caffeine, they are very affectionate.

The red laser pointer drives them wild.

I've had to keep a squirt bottle handy for Meeko.

They've taken over my computer chair already, just like my last cat.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean other than that they are cats?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I find they spray when they feel their space is threatened.  If inside cats without "visitors" they will probably be okay.  Cute kitties.  They will play with each others and be your buddies for life.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Kittens would be your friends!   I would get them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
our neutered males have never sprayed

rescue cats are great
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Two males will get along a whole lot better as kittens than trying to adopt two male adult cats. Good on you for wanting to rescue them. Don't beat yourself up too much over last kitty either. It lived a long and good life because of you!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had a problem with either of our neutered males.

Both were neutered when young, if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Go for it, We lost one of ours in Jan due to just being old. Had an appt
with the vet to put him to sleep but he had other plans and died in my
arms the night before.. he was a good kitty 18 years old.

We just
2 days ago got another one from the shelter, 4 weeks old, they were
adopting out all the animals because this shelter lost its funding so
better to adopt then put them all to sleep.

I find male cats to
be more friendly to one another, hence my big 32 lb cat (We are not sure
if he is a Pixie bobcat or a Maine coon) and this little tiny guy. Already
they are buddies and the big guy cleans the little guy and they play
together.   The other girl cat wants nothing to do with either of them lol

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Get them both
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
We have a male we saved from starving in the middle of winter at our local grocery store.

He's awesome. Doesn't spray, is absolutely crazy, softest car I've ever touched.
He'll run down the hall way so fast he's just a blur, sounds like a horse. Just runs around the corner and stops. Then he will walk into the living room so everybody can laugh at him. He also doesn't go outside. He acts like he's had enough of being outside. He'll steal your seat on the couch to, just so you have to pick him up and hold him to sit down. He plays a game where he attacks you're feet under the blankets. Then wants you to pet him for fighting off the evil mattress monster once again. He won't sleep with you at night, he will just lay there until he thinks you're asleep and then slowly crawl off. Like he just put you to bed or something.

Only problems are he doesn't like the dog and will run from him if he gets close, even though I don't think our lab knows he even exists.

When visitors come over he hides under our bed, but if I make him come out he'll let people pet him. Just doesn't like it.

He gets on the bar to sleep at night. From what I've seen he doesn't try to get food (we don't eat it if he's even been near it though, I'm not an animal) he just wants to lay on a jacket I've left on the bar or something.

He pooped in the spare bedroom ONCE, I think it was because I made him mad. But a healthy whoopin fixed him right up.

Overall awesome cat! Great personality, literally acts like he's supposed to entertain and love you. So that's what he does all the time. It breaks my heart thinking that if we hadn't taken him in he'd probably have died. And it's not good for a good kitty to die.

If you want them op take them. Just make sure they get along. It'll make everybodies lives much easier.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I had two boys from the same litter.  No spray, no drama.

Norwegian Forest breed.  Left hair on everything.  

And you didn't kill your old buddy.  He would've been gone ages ago if you hadn't taken care of him.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
So will both cats use the same litter box. I don't have room for two boxes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have three males.  They were part of my crew when the g/f unit entered the scene.  Males are more clownish.  They won't spray unless a non resident male comes into their territory and they feel challanged.  My favorite is the smartest and I have never seen him dig a hole and take a dump or piss.  He's very private but after nine years I saw him spray for the first time the other morning in the front yard after a feral Tom passed through.
Losing a girl cat will break your heart.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes some male cats will still pee on shit no its not that rare.

I know you miss your fuzzy little friend but try living without a cat for a while. Get the vacume out and vacume up every little crack and crevice move furniture etc see just how much fucking cat hair is in your home. Throw the fucking litterbox out and all the scratching posts and shit. Live like that for a while you might start to appreciate the lack of fuzz and the stench of piss and shit in your house.

X gdf had 3 cats in my house at one point the extra bedroom still smells like cat piss that is the biggest thng i was happy about when that bitch moved out and she was a real bitch and the cats were sweethearts but fuck those nasty things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.  I had a Russian blue I adopted as a feral kitten that would cover up other cat's mess in a litter box.  He was one of a kind.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Our neutered male cats were pretty much out-of-control firehoses.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Do it.

This is the first prolonged period of adulthood I have been without a cat.

It sucks.

As soon as I get back from my vacation the last week of July, I'm gettin' me some kitties.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep it clean and you won't have any problems.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know you miss your fuzzy little friend but try living without a cat for a while. Get the vacume out and vacume up every little crack and crevice move furniture etc see just how much fucking cat hair is in your home. Throw the fucking litterbox out and all the scratching posts and shit. Live like that for a while you might start to appreciate the lack of fuzz and the stench of piss and shit in your house.

X gdf had 3 cats in my house at one point the extra bedroom still smells like cat piss that is the biggest thng i was happy about when that bitch moved out and she was a real bitch and the cats were sweethearts but fuck those nasty things.
View Quote

I don't do litter boxes now that my cats are grown and street savvy.  They only come in to cool off when I get home or it's freezing cold night and still no pissing or shitting.  Cats are very private if given a choice and mine would explode before going to the bathroom inside, litter box or not.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
They are good looking kittens OP, get them both.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't do litter boxes now that my cats are grown and street savvy.  They only come in to cool off when I get home or it's freezing cold night and still no pissing or shitting.  Cats are very private if given a choice and mine would explode before going to the bathroom inside, litter box or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly outdoor kitties are far more acceptable to me they are happier and the house stays cleaner.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
^ wisdom. he has it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
because they turn into cats.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#24]
non-sprayers, share a litter box
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Do it.  Two cats are better than one because they can play and socialize all day.  Males don't spray if you neuter them before they hit sexual maturity.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do it.  Two cats are better than one because they can play and socialize all day. Males don't spray if you neuter them before they hit sexual maturity.
View Quote

Ok, I think I've read that somewhere before.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Please don't split them up!  Cats do great with a sibling.  From the research I've done, I've decided that once my current cat passes and I consider an adoption, I will probably look into getting a pair.  It may seem like more work at first but they will keep each other's attention and you won't have as many issues with them getting bored and tearing things up while you're away.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Do it .

My rescue male is always making me laugh and at night he will lay on my chest and sleep.

The other cats are females and they make me laugh and I enjoy them but not as much as the male.

He is missing half his tail and must of been the runt as he eats like a horse but is still small.

The next cat I get will be a male hopefully.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I rescued a male Maine Coon from the local shelter after loosing my best buddy, another Maine Coon, to cancer. No spraying and very nice kitty. Males are nicer than females. Get both, they will be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
The only male cat I knew who sprayed, at least for a little bit, was a Maine Coon.  

Two cat house, didn't spray for 10 years until they introduced a puppy. Even then it was only on spots where the pup had little accidents.

Get them both OP; you should be good to go.

Edit: name them Mayhem and Chaos!
Edit2: or Maverick and Goose!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Its a good idea to get two from the same litter, they'll have someone to play with. At least that's true in my experience with males, females might be different since they're so persnickety.

Its unlikely you'll have problems with spraying as long as you get them neutered.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our neutered male cats were pretty much out-of-control firehoses.
View Quote

They will piss everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#33]
My theory on spraying, after numerous years of experience:

If you get their balls cut off early (we're talking ASAP, around 2 months), it will never be a problem.  If you wait, and they start, they won't stop.  YMMV of course, we had one that would fucking spray everything, an orange tabby, I rehomed him with an old couple that had a farm, he is happy there.

I prefer female cats anyway, as they seem to me to be more loving and less stupid, but whatever floats your boat.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#34]
These two are only 2.5 mos and they've been neutered already.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

These two are only 2.5 mos and they've been neutered already.
View Quote

GET THEM and post pics!

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I will never only have one cat again. Makes me sad for our old cat that he lived alone for 13 years before he had housemates.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I will never only have one cat again. Makes me sad for our old cat that he lived alone for 13 years before he had housemates.
View Quote

I have two that don't particularly like each other.  They growl and hiss and swat, but it's still good that they have each other as companions.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Two males will get along a whole lot better as kittens than trying to adopt two male adult cats. Good on you for wanting to rescue them. Don't beat yourself up too much over last kitty either. It lived a long and good life because of you!
View Quote

This. My parents got two brother kittens last year and they are best buds. Kitten brothers have a strong bond.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#39]
The males are less bitchy than the females. When neutered that is.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Bring them both home, you won't regret it.  I took in two that were bothers from the same litter, they're awesome.

Would chase and fight like brothers, then I'd find them curled up together.  When I worked from home they would take turns keeping an eye on me with one of them at a time taking a shift on the desk next to me.

I lost one of them a few years ago, I really miss him.  But I still have the other guy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mostly outdoor kitties are far more acceptable to me they are happier and the house stays cleaner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is *NO* such thing as an "outdoor cat"; pure and simple.  If it's a pet cat; it belongs INDOORS.  Roaming cats are something that NOTHING GOOD comes from.
Period.  Bring your pet inside and keep it there.  If you take it out...put it on a leash.   FFS, read the GF here...nothing but tragedy and bad shit for YOU and OTHERS and nothing good comes from letting your pets roam wild.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Neuter them for sure
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#43]
We brought 2 male kittens home, both neutered at about 7months I think , maybe 8....

Anyways,1 has  sinced sprayed.  We believed the nieghbors dog was very close to the window, as the cat spayed on the window/window sill.

This happened just once, about 2 months ago... Cats are now 1 year old...
One of the newer kittens does try to mount the 5year old female cat... Female cat has the no means no additude...

Male cats are cool, I didn't think so before haveing them
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have two that don't particularly like each other.  They growl and hiss and swat, but it's still good that they have each other as companions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have four, two male, two female. The mother, two brothers and a sister.

The males love each other. The mother tolerates everyone. The sister hates the males.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Brought them home. Pics in OP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Good job OP!  Glad you were able to give them a home.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Good job! You got some nice looking buddies
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Ive never had a male cat spray.  Glad you got 2 because when you are gone for extended periods they wont get lonely.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#49]
We had a neutered male cat that would occasionally spray.  But he had a constant stream of medical problems and the spraying was typically related to a bladder or urinary tract infection.  One time it was just him being nervous about other new pets so they vet gave him xanax lmao that was a funny week to see him in super chill mode acting like he was high all the time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice looking kittens!!!  Good on you to rescue.  BTW, I have make cats now and have never had spraying issues.  Neuter young and it shouldn't become an issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top