Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2009 7:27:30 PM EDT
I just got a call that an acquaintance from church is in the hospital after a suicide attempt. Apparently her parents have been telling her how worthless she is for the last month, suggesting she just go and kill herself. If I hadnt heard them talk to her before, I would assume it was made up. I guess she decided to take their advice, and now she is clinging to life.

I have met these parents, they are the scum of the earth. Lets hope, for their sake, that she makes it through the night. She is a gorgeous girl who grew up with an insecure, drug addicted mother. When your mom is competing with you for attention from your father, she will say some nasty things to cut you down. The dad is too pussywhipped to stand up for his kid, so he ends up siding with the mom. Both of them deserve to be crucified, and I would love to have a beer and watch.

Im going to the hospital right now, please pray for a friend of mine. Will update.

UPDATE I have officially lost faith in humanity

Just got back from hospital, apparently she took a buttload of some type of pills / medicine, dont remember what type they said it was. Stomach was pumped, she was unconscious for a while but is now awake (sort of) and they arent expecting her to have any lasting brain damage or anything.

We stopped by the house to get some of her things. One of the girls is going to let her stay at her place for a while. She is NOT moving back in with the parents. The parents werent even at the hospital, it was like they didnt even care. I took a buddy with me to the parents house, and left my weapon in the glove box. As much as they deserve it, I dont want intense feelings clouding my judgement. I have never felt this much contempt for another human being before.

I will update on the girls condition, but as of now it looks like she will be okay.

Thanks guys.

UPDATE 2: It sounds like the police have made contact with the parents. I have no idea what about or on what grounds. I doubt much will come of this since the girl survived, but who knows. We spoke to some people at church this morning about getting her some help. There are tons of people wanting to step in and help. I think she is in good hands

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Prayers for your friend.  I know how it is to feel that worthless.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
technically, no.

hopefully she pulls through

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone needs to get Adult Protective Services involved.

If she makes it, she will need good counseling and good friends. She also needs to cut all ties with her parents.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
are you asking because that's the pressure you are now going to apply to the sack of shit parents?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
considering they couldn't charge that lady who talked her friends teenage daughter into killing herself (via myspace), I'm gonna say no.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
considering they couldn't charge that lady who talked her friends teenage daughter into killing herself (via myspace), I'm gonna say no.

I thought she was charged?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: charged, but acquitted apparently
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Suicide (attempts) is against the law, so I would think that encouraging someone to break a law would be illegal.

How sad.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Underage. you damn bet you can
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone needs to get Adult Protective Services involved.

If she makes it, she will need good counseling and good friends. She also needs to cut all ties with her parents.

I hope that she pulls through, if she does, then tell her to follow the above advice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Of course it's against the law.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Appeals Court threw the case out.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]

that's the worst thing i've heard all week and i honestly have never heard of parents telling their kids to kill themselves before

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You have to have a license or a permit to do just about anything, but any asshole can have a kid.

Sorry to hear about that.

Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Can they try it on some of the trolls here?  Maybe one that rhymes with "chair-bills"?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got a call that an acquaintance from church is in the hospital after a suicide attempt. Apparently her parents have been telling her how worthless she is for the last month, suggesting she just go and kill herself. If I hadnt heard them talk to her before, I would assume it was made up. I guess she decided to take their advice, and now she is clinging to life.

I have met these parents, they are the scum of the earth. Lets hope, for their sake, that she makes it through the night.

Im going to the hospital right now, please pray for a friend of mine. Will update.

Psychological abuse.

She'll be in my prayers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers inbound buddy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Of course it's against the law.

Unless that someone is retired.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]

I don't see why not.

Talking someone into killing someone else is a crime.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Suicide (attempts) is against the law, so I would think that encouraging someone to break a law would be illegal.

How sad.  

Suicide attempts are not against the law.

Unless you break the law while trying to kill yourself.

The reason it’s not against the law is you may be more inclined to seek help knowing you won’t be prosecuted.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
prayers inbound.

good luck, lloyd.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Without reading anything, Id just like to say that I laughed at the title of this thread, is that bad?

ETA, after reading, its not so funny
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As well they should have. As much as it sucks and as much as the OP's friend's parents are scum, no one should be criminally responsible for calling someone else names.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
UPDATED SEE OP
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]
it should not be illegal to talk anyone into anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Alright I give,1. There has got to be more to this story. 2. Why even visit the parents?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you should look at the legal term ..."Coercion"

In case you are already smart enough to know but your thought is out of place ...Here you are..

Coercion (pronounced /koʊˈɜrʒən/ or /koʊˈɜrʃən/) is the practice of forcing another party to behave in an involuntary manner (whether through action or inaction) by use of threats, intimidation, trickery, or some other form of pressure or force. Such actions are used as leverage, to force the victim to act in the desired way. Coercion may involve the actual infliction of physical pain/injury or psychological harm in order to enhance the credibility of a threat. The threat of further harm may lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced. Torture is one of the most extreme examples of coercion i.e. severe pain is inflicted on victims in order to extract the desired information from the tortured party.

Sounds like this is exactly what the sperm and egg donors have done..

THEY SHOULD FRY!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alright I give,1. There has got to be more to this story. 2. Why even visit the parents?

We went to get some of her things. She will NOT be moving back in with them. One of the girls from the group is going to let her move in to her apartment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#30]
One of the few times I'm going to recommend getting CPC involved.

If she's an adult, she needs to get a restraining order out on her parents, and go see a Psychiatrist.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Hearing stories like this makes me wish people were still ridden out of town on rails, or tarred and feathered. Today's society is tolerant of some true pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Will they be able to do anything? The girl is 22 years old. My understanding is that she is living with them while going to a local college, shes not a bum or anything.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In case you are already smart enough to know but your thought is out of place ...Here you are..

Coercion (pronounced /koʊˈɜrʒən/ or /koʊˈɜrʃən/) is the practice of forcing another party to behave in an involuntary manner (whether through action or inaction) by use of threats, intimidation, trickery, or some other form of pressure or force. Such actions are used as leverage, to force the victim to act in the desired way. Coercion may involve the actual infliction of physical pain/injury or psychological harm in order to enhance the credibility of a threat. The threat of further harm may lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced. Torture is one of the most extreme examples of coercion i.e. severe pain is inflicted on victims in order to extract the desired information from the tortured party.

THEY SHOULD FRY!

coercion is one thing, i speak of another...

i speak of me convincing you through nothing but speach that suicide is your best option.
eta

a week or so before my brother killed himself shooting oxy, i told him that the cemetary was were he was headed anyway and that if he couldnt change course or wouldnt accept help he should skip the drama and mainline himself into the grave...

and by gawd the sumbitch did.

so lock me the fuck up.

eta2

which reminds me, when i failed the poly for border patrol the woman asked if i had ever said anything derogatory about someone else because they wanted to avoid hostile work environment and wouldnt hire someone who would make such and environment, i told her never unless it was true, and then it wasnt derogatory because it was true, like "if i said my brother is a pillhead worthless except for causing pain and hardship, then thats not derogatory because its true".

i dont think she agreed, but events prove im right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will they be able to do anything? The girl is 22 years old. My understanding is that she is living with them while going to a local college, shes not a bum or anything.

If thats the case, then I guess there's not much they could do, unless they still have other minor kids. Even so, check with a lawyer since you could get someone one nearly anything nowadays, and those creeps deserve whatever you can send their way!

She should completely cut any ties to her parents, though. Like I said, have her get counciling and professional psychiatric help. Screwed up childhoods don't just go away on their own.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
technically, no.

hopefully she pulls through

I would argue that depends upon the mental state of the person attempting suicide, the knowledge of the enticers regarding her mental state, and the provable intent of the enticers.  And the jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As well they should have. As much as it sucks and as much as the OP's friend's parents are scum, no one should be criminally responsible for calling someone else names.

As I stated in my previous post, that depends.  Think about the tort "Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress."  Now, it's just a tort, but mere words can sometimes rise to the level required for recovery of damages.  It depends entirely upon the known mental condition of the victim and the intent of the enticers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEY SHOULD FRY!

i speak of me convincing you through nothing but speach that suicide is your best option.
eta

a week or so before my brother killed himself shooting oxy, i told him that the cemetary was were he was headed anyway and that if he couldnt change course or wouldnt accept help he should skip the drama and mainline himself into the grave...

so lock me the fuck up.

eta2

which reminds me, when i failed the poly for border patrol the woman asked if i had ever said anything derogatory about someone else because they wanted to avoid hostile work environment and wouldnt hire someone who would make such and environment, i told her never unless it was true, and then it wasnt derogatory because it was true, like "if i said my brother is a pillhead worthless except for causing pain and hardship, then thats not derogatory because its true".

i dont think she agreed, but events prove im right.

Wow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad she is alive and has a good friend like you to help her out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wow.

Wow what?

He told his Brother the truth. No bullshit, no beating around the bush.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEY SHOULD FRY!

eta

so lock me the fuck up.

So by the above definition everyone who ever employed me, taxed me or expected me to live within their rules should fry. I like it.

The parents are assholes or maybe the girl was I can't tell from the thread but it would not be hard to believe that they all were or that just one side was. I have seen plenty of overly dramatic kids especially girls and it isn't all that uncommon to see them emotionally blackmailing their family with the threat of suicide. Even parents who spoil ther child can reach their limits. The kids are not going to show that side of themselves to their friends now are they? That is until some one they are dating sees the crazy and tries to bail. I'm not saying that this is the case here but from my experience it is the most common.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEY SHOULD FRY!

eta

so lock me the fuck up.

So by the above definition everyone who ever employed me, taxed me or expected me to live within their rules should fry. I like it.

The parents are assholes or maybe the girl was I can't tell from the thread but it would not be hard to believe that they all were or that just one side was. I have seen plenty of overly dramatic kids especially girls and it isn't all that uncommon to see them emotionally blackmailing their family with the threat of suicide. Even parents who spoil ther child can reach their limits. The kids are not going to show that side of themselves to their friends now are they? That is until some one they are dating sees the crazy and tries to bail. I'm not saying that this is the case here but from my experience it is the most common.

The parents have managed to convince her that since she was in an abusive relationship, she is worthless. They told her she deserved every beating she got. They also told her that she would never make it in life since she got some C's in college. Like I said in the OP, I have met and been around these parents briefly, and in that short time realized how cruel and hateful they were toward her.

Sometimes I wish I could play Frank Castle for a day, I really think it would be very satisfying....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Contact your local PD, and speak with a detective.

Might be able to get them for "assisting suicide" since they were able to get her into the right mindset to do it.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't think there is any reason to pursue criminal charges, even if some could be brought.  The daughter needs intense counseling, and go from there.  SHe probably suffered this same abuse when she was a child and now considers herself worthless.

Some people are just too damaged to ever recover.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Is she hot???

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is she hot???

Yes, very, sadly.

She is a gorgeous girl who grew up with an insecure, drug addicted mother. When your mom is competing with you for attention from your father, she will say some nasty things to cut you down. The dad is too pussywhipped to stand up for his kid, so he ends up siding with the mom. Both of them deserve to be crucified, and I would love to have a beer and watch.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#46]
No offense but as someone who has known a few crazy girls, I wouldn't be surprised if there is far more to this story than what we've heard. There are always 2 sides.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This +++++++++
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No offense but as someone who has known a few crazy girls, I wouldn't be surprised if there is far more to this story than what we've heard. There are always 2 sides.

We have known her for the past few years, and she has always had a crappy family life, but I dont know what else could really be happening to warrant what they did.

Maybe she is really promiscuous, and we didnt know about it, and the parents are ashamed and mad at her. Maybe she does drugs (again I think we would have picked up on something after this long) and they are trying to get her to off herself rather than get her help. I dont know.

Im sure there are details we dont know about, but at the same time, what could she have done to warrant this type of treatment?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have known her for the past few years, and she has always had a crappy family life, but I dont know what else could really be happening to warrant what they did.

Maybe she is really promiscuous, and we didnt know about it, and the parents are ashamed and mad at her. Maybe she does drugs (again I think we would have picked up on something after this long) and they are trying to get her to off herself rather than get her help. I dont know.

Im sure there are details we dont know about, but at the same time, what could she have done to warrant this type of treatment?

I don't think anything could warrant this type of treatment, it sounds like the parents simply don't care. It's good there are people like you to help look out for her.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This +++++++++

Good job for manning up and taking control. You're a good person.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top