Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/2/2015 3:23:36 PM EDT
here

In his address he will also outline plans to decriminalise the possession of small amounts of drugs, including heroin, cocaine and cannabis, for personal use, as part of a “radical cultural shift” in the approach to drug addiction.

“I am firmly of the view that there needs to be a cultural shift in how we regard substance misuse if we are to break this cycle and make a serious attempt to tackle drug and alcohol addiction,” said Mr Ó Ríordáin.

He added that compassion had to be brought to the issue, and that as far as possible drug addiction should be removed from the criminal justice system.

The Minister’s address comes in the wake of leaked report from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime indicating it will call for the decriminalisation of consumption of drugs on public health and human rights grounds. Mr Ó Ríordáin says the heads of a new Misuse of Drugs Bill are being drawn up which will “unblock” the legislative obstacles to opening injection rooms.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
They were probably hammered drunk one night and decided that, ya know, the cannabis leaf sure looks like a clover.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Fools.

After 50+ years and a trillion+ dollars,the U.S. is this close to winning the War on (some) Drugs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF else is there to do in Ireland?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Hooray! Drugs for everyone!!

I mean, who hasn't gotten shitfaced one Friday night and though, "man, a nice speedball would really hit the spot right now!"
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fools.

After 50+ years and a trillion+ dollars,the U.S. is this close to winning the War on (some) Drugs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I mean, who hasn't gotten shitfaced one Friday night and though, "man, a nice speedball would really hit the spot right now!"
View Quote

I know i haven't.  But if that is your thing, far be it from me stop your pursuit of happiness.  Misguided as it may be...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I predict that they hardly notice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not?
Your already using a mind and body altering substance. Might as well really get it going.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's been that way from the beginning of human existance.  Haven't seen anything else come out yet that put a dent in it.

Maybe letting Darwin do his thing isn't such a bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a beautiful country.

ETA: oops read the title as ICEland.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To burn a bowl in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fools.

View Quote

That's funny

As a LEO, I'm actually in support of this. There'll need to be some sort of discussion on the driving issue within X amount of hours/days after having consumed certain drugs. It's clear that the US/western model isn't working though. It also potentially sets up gaining money through taxes instead of throwing tax money into the wind.

Even if this experiment fails, they've at least tried something other than what's not been working.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grass, sheep, bars, and rain every single fucking day gets old very quick.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why not?
Your already using a mind and body altering substance. Might as well really get it going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Zing!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what % of GD is offended that they can use drugs and its not illegal, that they can't have their car taken, their cash confiscated, their door kicked in, and their dog shot for snortin some blow and smoking some herb.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Drink, Fight, Fuck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't realize this thread was here when I started my Irish music thread. Good though. We should follow suit. Time in and time out again the reality is that prohibition does not work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Drink, Fight, Fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drink, Fight, Fuck.

A few years back I had friend with benefits who spent a couple years over there (working for microsoft IIRC, or something IT related).

She told me that most of the Americans sent over there became habitual drunks rather quickly.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I predict that they hardly notice.
View Quote

That's about how I see it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I tend to agree with the effort...but I think it's naive to believe that you can remove drug addiction from the criminal justice system.

Addicts will always be a problem, because addicts tend to commit lots of other crimes besides just drugs.

I'm pretty much in favor of legalization but there it's not going to cause a significant drop in crime or the costs of social services.
View Quote

It's the same thing Portugal did. Shifted the budget item from  criminal to heatlh care. They spend  the same if not MORE money on treatment programs and paying addicts a living allotment.  

I'm sure the  local druggies will cheer this effort  loudly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#22]
If they want to test it out, let them.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm betting, in 3-5 years, it's not going to look as awesome as some people think.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
With the Muslim invasion of Europe, decriminalizing drugs is the least of their upcoming problems.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I know i haven't.  But if that is your thing, far be it from me stop your pursuit of happiness.  Misguided as it may be...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's funny

As a LEO, I'm actually in support of this. There'll need to be some sort of discussion on the driving issue within X amount of hours/days after having consumed certain drugs. It's clear that the US/western model isn't working though. It also potentially sets up gaining money through taxes instead of throwing tax money into the wind.

Even if this experiment fails, they've at least tried something other than what's not been working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fools.

That's funny

Reckless or impaired driving is already illegal, why do we need more laws, use the ones that exist
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's the same thing Portugal did. Shifted the budget item from  criminal to heatlh care. They spend  the same if not MORE money on treatment programs and paying addicts a living allotment.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I tend to agree with the effort...but I think it's naive to believe that you can remove drug addiction from the criminal justice system.

Addicts will always be a problem, because addicts tend to commit lots of other crimes besides just drugs.

I'm pretty much in favor of legalization but there it's not going to cause a significant drop in crime or the costs of social services.

If that is your best argument for prohibition then I have some straw that I'd like to sell you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#27]
That will be an interesting social experiment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

It already is. Labor Party identify as "social democrats."

As an American expat I've seen some pretty amazing things. I've seen that working women in virtually every country in Western Europe unlike in the US get job protected paid maternity leave by right of law. I've seen those same parents receive a monthly child allowance unlike in the US, irrespective of their level of income. Everyone I see is medically insured from cradle to grave unlike in the US. I've seen unemployment benefit packages wherein the unemployment insurance system never runs out, because when the regular unemployment insurance payments stop, the unemployment assistance payments start. I've seen workers who while unemployed continue to have the state pay for their health care benefits and if they have a family they cover the entire family's health care benefits. I've seen that virtually every country in Western Europe provides workers with 20 to 30 days paid vacation a year, as well as a low income rental subsidy allowance.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/08/01/760361/-An-American-expat-s-view-of-the-European-social-safety-net-versus-the-American-social-safety-net

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Drug legalization really needs to be accompanied with cuts in/elimination of the welfare state (so addicts aren't subsidized) and self-defense reform (so that if addicts turn to crime their victims have at least some recourse).  If some addict manages to earn a living and not sponge off the state or turn to crime, there's bigger problems to worry about than whether someone is high or not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it costs about the same, but people have more freedom?  Can't say I see the problem here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#31]
There will be blood in the streets. Road rage will turn deadly. Simple disagreements will turn into shootouts at the O.K. Corrall. It's going to be like the Old West all over again.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As an American expat I've seen some pretty amazing things. I've seen that working women in virtually every country in Western Europe unlike in the US get job protected paid maternity leave by right of law. I've seen those same parents receive a monthly child allowance unlike in the US, irrespective of their level of income. Everyone I see is medically insured from cradle to grave unlike in the US. I've seen unemployment benefit packages wherein the unemployment insurance system never runs out, because when the regular unemployment insurance payments stop, the unemployment assistance payments start. I've seen workers who while unemployed continue to have the state pay for their health care benefits and if they have a family they cover the entire family's health care benefits. I've seen that virtually every country in Western Europe provides workers with 20 to 30 days paid vacation a year, as well as a low income rental subsidy allowance.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/08/01/760361/-An-American-expat-s-view-of-the-European-social-safety-net-versus-the-American-social-safety-net

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he forgets is 50% or more in taxes and total mediocrity.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If that is your best argument for prohibition then I have some straw that I'd like to sell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show  me where in that post I argued for prohibition.   Ever hear of Pavlov's dogs? You just exhibited that behavior.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

What percentage of their crimes are to pay for overly inflated drug prices?

There are plenty of addicts who are in the system because of drug charges who otherwise are not criminals.

I don't know about the SS part, but I'll lay dollars to donuts that the crime rate would drop significantly. The relief of the monetary burden from the excessive amount of LE to deal with illegal drugs would more than pay for treatment. Hell, it'd probably be cheaper to give the stuff away to those who want it, than to try to keep them from getting it.

But the .gov can't just decriminalize it. They have to keep their fingers in it and control/tax/regulate it which sets up another set of issues.

Just repeal all drug, gun, vice laws. Do away with 80% or more of welfare services. It'll all sort itself out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There will be blood in the streets. Road rage will turn deadly. Simple disagreements will turn into shootouts at the O.K. Corrall. It's going to be like the Old West all over again.

View Quote

I'm quite sure certain folks see this as a win. I see it as nothing will change. You will still have addicts, you will still have crime and it will still cost out the ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Show  me where in that post I argued for prohibition.   Ever hear of Pavlov's dogs? You just exhibited that behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was implied and we inferred it from your post.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm quite sure certain folks see this as a win. I see it as nothing will change. You will still have addicts, you will still have crime and it will still cost out the ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So nothing changes except that people have more freedom.  

Do you see that as a win?  You seem eager to point out how other people will view this.  How about you? How do you view this?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Drug legalization really needs to be accompanied with cuts in/elimination of the welfare state (so addicts aren't subsidized) and self-defense reform (so that if addicts turn to crime their victims have at least some recourse).  If some addict manages to earn a living and not sponge off the state or turn to crime, there's bigger problems to worry about than whether someone is high or not.
View Quote

agreed
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do away with 80% or more of welfare services. It'll all sort itself out.
View Quote

Start naming democrats.

Just 1

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make that sound like a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total deregulation will most assuredly have changes. The price will drop precipitously. And with that so will crime. There will be no more "drug dealers" fighting over turf. They won't have any profit to be made and therefore no power.

Costs one hell of a lot less to give a bum a bed than to pay cops to arrest users, and jail them, so that end of the expenditure will decrease as well.

It'll never happen, though. Too much money flowing and power retained.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed

Lethal force for property crime? Theft larceny?

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Great. So does that mean the average Irishperson can get some sedative to work on their cat?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Start naming democrats.

Just 1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do away with 80% or more of welfare services. It'll all sort itself out.

Start naming democrats.

Just 1

I don't understand your point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Total deregulation will most assuredly have changes. The price will drop precipitously. And with that so will crime. There will be no more "drug dealers" fighting over turf. They won't have any profit to be made and therefore no power.

Costs one hell of a lot less to give a bum a bed than to pay cops to arrest users, and jail them, so that end of the expenditure will decrease as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have news for you.  You could give away heroin for free and you would stil have addicts, crime and  massive social costs. Addicts do not live productive honest lives.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

the US needs to subsidize drugs in like a free crack house or hospital environment.

look if you're going to do meth have a couple pounds of it no need to break into foreclosed homes and cause thousands in damage to steal $4 dollars of copper.

allow them to completely check out of life.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed

I don't see why the  smiley face, that's law here in Texas. Can't you shoot  burglars in Florida?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You make that sound like a good thing.
View Quote

Private property rights are fundamental to liberty. I didn't write that commie crap.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed

Yes. If someone wants to take what I have, I would have no problem with their death.

The things I own, I've spent part of my life to work to acquire. Someone else has no right to take it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top