Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:12:00 AM EDT
Allright, Sweden basically sucks. Finished my master little over a year ago and still haven't been able to find a job. I figure the US can't be any worse soo... how do one go about getting a work permit in the US?

I read something about a H1B visa that requires a sponsoring employer or something. How hard is it to get something like this, easy, hard, inpossible?

Are there any other feasable ways?

For the record, I have a Master of Science majoring in Electrical Engineering, anyone need one?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are there any other feasable ways?

I'm not advocating you do anything illegal, but the most common ways seem to be get a student or tourist visa which you simply overstay. Or fly to Canda or Mexico and walk across the border. All are technically illegal, but rarely enforced "civil" misdemeanors.  

If caught, claim some form of religious or political opression, ask for a hearing before and immigration judge.  Due to lack of jail space they will release you with an appearance date. Simply skip the hearing and repeat as needed.

Be sure to apply for as many welfare benifits as possible to fully enjoy your stay.  dont use your real name.  Just got to the mexican consulate and tell them you are a mexican of spanish decent.  they will give you an ID in any name and date of birth you want.  thats the identity you used if contacted by the police. Once you use that identity you destroy the card, go back to the mexican consulate and get a new one with a different name and DOB. Repeat as needed.

This public service announcment was brought to you by the Republican party.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just got to the mexican consulate and tell them you are a mexican of spanish decent.  they will give you an ID in any name and date of birth you want.  thats the identity you used if contacted by the police. Once you use that identity you destroy the card, go back to the mexican consulate and get a new one with a different name and DOB. Repeat as needed.

Haha, well my spanish is limited to "una cerveza grande" and "el perro donde esta la papeleria" anyway so. StrkAliteN: Good link, thanks. Now I'll just have to read through it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Allright, Sweden basically sucks.

I've been saying that for years !!  

You are correct that a H1B visa is "sponsored" by a company, and they need to be able to justify to the U.S. government that your particular skill is needed, and that there are not enough of them in the U.S. (in other words, they need to justify WHY they are hiring you over a U.S. citizen).  Sometimes that can be pretty easy for a company, if they really want you - other times it can be a hassle, and a lot of smaller companies simply don't want to deal with it.  So it CLEARLY helps to have a pretty unique or rare skill that is in demand in the U.S. job market.

So ideally, you would find a U.S. company that needs an electrical engineer with your particular skills and experience - and get them to offer you a job.  They THEY will get the required visa for you.

The EASY way to get permission to live in the U.S. is to marry a U.S. woman.    That puts you on a "fast track" to getting permanent residency (also commonly called a "Green Card") which essentially allows you to work in the U.S. under the same terms as a U.S. citizen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"el perro donde esta la papeleria"

"Dog, where's the paper store?"

Why would you even need to know that?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was working on that one too
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you even need to know that?

Noo, it's supposed to be "The dog is at the paper store". It's the one sentence from spanish class that stuck .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#8]
maybe it's "yo dawg, where is my rolling papers at?"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Allright, Sweden basically sucks.

I've been saying that for years !!  hr

Haha yeah, sooo... why aren't you still in Denmark again h=85%

Quoted:
You are correct that a H1B visa is "sponsored" by a company, and they need to be able to justify to the U.S. government that your particular skill is needed, and that there are not enough of them in the U.S. (in other words, they need to justify WHY they are hiring you over a U.S. citizen).  Sometimes that can be pretty easy for a company, if they really want you - other times it can be a hassle, and a lot of smaller companies simply don't want to deal with it.  So it CLEARLY helps to have a pretty unique or rare skill that is in demand in the U.S. job market.

So ideally, you would find a U.S. company that needs an electrical engineer with your particular skills and experience - and get them to offer you a job.  They THEY will get the required visa for you.

The EASY way to get permission to live in the U.S. is to marry a U.S. woman.  hat

Hm, large companies are better than small, check, maybe should try and apply for something and see what they say.

I know monster.com but what other job listing websites are out there?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Just what America needs, another foreigner comming here for our EE jobs.

Why don't you go to India, that seems to be where most of our EE jobs are headed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just what America needs, another foreigner comming here for our EE jobs.

Why don't you go to India, that seems to be where most of our EE jobs are headed.

Don't worry, not all Americans are xenophobic assholes, it just appears that way here sometimes.

I think it's pretty hard finding someone to sponser you nowadays, especially if you didn't go to school here.  I would think your best bet is to find a company that would need your language skills (Sony Ericsson, Scania branch?)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't worry, not all Americans are xenophobic assholes, it just appears that way here sometimes.

Again, someone posting pure bullshit.  Do you even know the definition of Xenophobe?  It doesn't sound like the poster is afraid or hates anything.  It sounds like he doesn't like people from other countries coming over here and taking jobs that Americans can be doing.  Now, if you're ok with someone coming over here and taking legitimate jobs away from US Citizens, then hey, whatever floats your boat.  I guess its really convienent to throw scary words like xenophope out there and think it'll shut everyone up because they assume you're so mighty and moral.  Pullleeeeze.

In this case, the field of EE, and for that matter ME, are saturated.  There's a lot of engineers out there, and not enough jobs.  On top of that, a lot of engineering jobs are being outsourced to other counties.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Find some senorita that will let you marry her and let her apply for you here in the USA, even if you get here illegally like everyone else it might take eons for an amnesty program to take affect, but you will get checked more as a legal immigrant than an illegal one, even if you are legal with all outsourcing, Walmart economics, and the actual competion with illegal aliens, you need to stay with her 2 years before you are granted permanent resident status....
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Immigration, visas, work permits et al.... ARFCOM ---- ----, enlighten me
Page General » General Discussion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top