Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/29/2015 4:32:06 PM EDT
Seen this a few times here the last couple weeks.

It is truly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, right up there with hip firing a rifle makes it 10x deadlier and .50 desert Eagles are made to shoot down planes.

It is equivalent to me saying midgets that play football will grow to be 6'2 260lbs.

For those that don't understand I'll try to explain the best I can:

Playing football doesnt make a 6'2, 260lbs man-  6'2, 260lbs men play football.

Competition runners don't get skinny by running- skinny people become competition runners

I made this thread because there is nothing worse than someone who has decided to lose weight for health, looks, or to feel better in general only to be givin info that all but guaranties their failure.

I will state again, running is the worst path to weightloss. It is the toughest way to succeed at lasting gains and should be the very last thing on someone's list after all other steps are taken. I.E. Diet and muscle building ( I said muscle BUILDING not cardio). Weights, unweighted circuit type training, swiming laps ect. just NOT cross fit. Fuck cross fit, that's shits gay.

Hope this helps someone
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Bro.....do you even lift?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bro.....do you even lift?
View Quote

Bro doesn't even lift.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
In my life, running, or a bout of situational depression, were the surest methods of weight loss.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So running is bad for weight loss...  why?
View Quote
Because OP said so.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something about being a waste of time.  Lifting and getting jacked are the only thing you should be worried about 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Running is a fine path to weight loss.  ANY activity that you do exclusively will eventually provide diminished returns because exercise is training.  You train your body to be more efficient - do an activity while spending the least amount of energy.  This is not exclusive to running.  Besides, for health, being fit is more important than being "not fat".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a friend who was not skinny by any stretch of the imagination.  Now he's running half-marathons and looks way too thin.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Calories in - Calories out

It's not really that hard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear this a lot.

All it is, is an excuse not to run.

Diet is number 1 when it comes to weight loss above any type of exercise with out question.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I generally do 20-25 miles a week of running, and I find that those times when I injure myself causing me take a few weeks to a month off from running I actually lose weight.  When I start running again I put the weight back on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Eat less
poop more
Lose weight
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Running is a fine path to weight loss.  ANY activity that you do exclusively will eventually provide diminished returns because exercise is training.  You train your body to be more efficient - do an activity while spending the least amount of energy.  This is not exclusive to running.  Besides, for health, being fit is more important than being "not fat".
View Quote

She does look pretty healthy
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#15]
So when I took up running and was 30 pounds overweight and lost those thirty pounds by running over the next 6 months.... Got up to doing 5k every evening after work.

I was imagining? Or did I break some law of physics?

Your post makes zero sense. Physical activity doesn't help in weight loss? Or only the physical activity you like causes weight loss?

I'm trying here OP but I'm at a loss.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
To be fair, professional runners have extremely strict diets...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

just like a savings account
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Running is great for weight loss, it's hell on the joints though..
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So when I took up running and was 30 pounds overweight and lost those thirty pounds by running over the next 6 months.... Got up to doing 5k every evening after work.

Your post makes zero sense. Physical activity doesn't help in weight loss? Or only the physical activity you like causes weight loss?

View Quote

No he is saying that you could have lost that 30lbs more effectively with strength training.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
If you burn more than you take in, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/fm6rrm.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/fm6rrm.jpg

Well you can't discern health by looking at a picture, but I sense your reluctance to acknowledge this idea.  Here is the summary: fitness is the key to longer lifespan, less illness - not your weight alone.  There are some people who remain heavy and also physically active and fit.  As well as those folks who are very thin yet unfit and not active.  It is a demonstrable fact - fitness is more important than weight to HEALTH.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No he is saying that you could have lost that 30lbs more effectively with strength training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with my bad elbow and bursitis in my shoulders.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just like a savings account, it's more complicated than that.  Savings accounts, after all, accrue money.  So if you Put in $5000, wait a month, then take out $5000, you'll still have money in the account.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I think where cardio gets critiqued is from the "looking good naked" standpoint.  You don't see very many obese long distant runners.  However you see a fair number of long distance runners with little inner tubes around their waist and flabby granny arms.  That doesn't mean they are fat, but you don't typically see long distance runners with a V tapper.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Your arguments are weaksauce. I can burn 1000 Calories an hour riding my bicycle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Running isn't fun, and it does beat up your body, but it burns a shitload of calories. And doesn't require a ton of gear or training, although it does require some knowledge. There are few activities that can burn as many calories in a short period of time. I lost a shitload of weight from running and I keep it off by running 5 or 6 marathons a year, and several half marathons. Having to stay trained for a marathon helps motivate me to do it. Although I do admit I do not enjoy running.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hear this a lot.

Diet is number 1 when it comes to weight loss above any type of exercise with out question.

View Quote

Funny, running is the number one excuse I got from my clients for why they have never worked out before. There's a reason they came to me instead of continuing to run.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's okay, try reading the first post again. You might be able to pick up that it's the worst thing for weight loss not that it doesn't work for some people. Glad I could clear that up for you
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Running isn't bad for weight loss.  It's just not a terribly efficient method for losing weight on it's own, if measured in calories burned per hour vs other higher intensity, lower interval exercises.

But, just like a penny saved is a penny earned, it's far more efficient to simply not consume that calorie than it is to convert it to heat and sweat and lactic acid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
meh it helps,

doing 5k or ruffly a half hour running burns around 400 calories for me. according to map my ride.

when i plug in the weight and reps on my arms chest shoulders super sets it comes out to a little over 600 calories burned and takes about the same time or less.

problem is people will run and then think they have earned a 2000 calorie dinner.

The thing is you really need to do cardio to be healthy. It might not burn as many calories as a vicious leg day but it will greatly improve your pulmonary and cardiovascular system. When I do weights I let myself cool down and re-oxygenate between sets my breathing never gets as heavy as with cardio and although I don't check my HR I am betting it stays lower while lifting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My take on it, at least when I was younger, is that building muscle made my body more effective at burning calories compared to cardio alone.  Now that I am in my 40s, building muscle is not so easy compared to when I was in my early 20s.  It now takes a mixture of diet, strength training, and cardio just to move the scale downward.  Oh, and now if I injure myself, it takes MONTHS to heal, compared to days or weeks when I was younger, so I am really careful these days.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's okay, try reading the first post again. You might be able to pick up that it's the worst thing for weight loss not that it doesn't work for some people. Glad I could clear that up for you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't given us any reasons for why weight lifting causes more weight loss than running.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I run because I like running and most people can't run for shit. Running long distances without pause is probably the most important physical survival ability you can possibly possess. If I want to lose weight I cut back carbs, put myself in a severe caloric deficit and lift as heavy as I can. When I was less knowledgeable about nutrition and physiology I tried many times to lose weight by throwing running into my routine and failed. All running did was make me ravenously hungry a couple hours later if I was already dieting.

Cut calories and carbs and you will lose weight just by sitting around.

Cut calories and carbs and up protein and lift heavy weights and you will get shredded.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

You haven't given us any reasons for why weight lifting causes more weight loss than running.
View Quote

Weight lifting increases your resting metabolic rate for much longer, possibly days, compared to running. Also, as muscle fibers experience hypertrophy and grow the increased muscle mass causes you to burn more calories than if you had less muscle mass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My take on it, at least when I was younger, is that building muscle made my body more effective at burning calories compared to cardio alone.  Now that I am in my 40s, building muscle is not so easy compared to when I was in my early 20s.  It now takes a mixture of diet, strength training, and cardio just to move the scale downward.  Oh, and now if I injure myself, it takes MONTHS to heal, compared to days or weeks when I was younger, so I am really careful these days.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is to take full advantage of being in my late twenties and go for the gainzzzz?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Your arguments are weaksauce. I can burn 1000 Calories an hour riding my bicycle.
View Quote

And most pro bodybuilders can burn 1000 calories while taking a nap

Bike riding is much better than running though, a great muscle builder when mountain biking.   Muscle building being the key.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It simply burns more calories when you are doing it. It also increases muscle mass so you burn more calories when at rest and when walking running biking.

But it really comes back to the old GD adage GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bike riding is much better than running though, a great muscle builder when mountain biking.   Muscle building being the key.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I run the same hills I'm not building muscle?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So what you're saying is to take full advantage of being in my late twenties and go for the gainzzzz?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It all depends on what you are after and how your body responds to the various forms of training.  Even in my 20s, I still did cardio with strength training.  

I could tell you an embarrassing story about the first time I used a Nordictrack with the cables and got out of sync between my arms and my legs...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#39]
You forgot water gain, muscle/fat weight differences, etc. for your reasoning. Running might not make you "lose weight" right away, but there's nothing bad about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some fatties will tell themselves ANYTHING to make themselves feel better.

View Quote

You have met me.

running is a horrible way to lose fat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It simply burns more calories when you are doing it. It also increases muscle mass so you burn more calories when at rest and when walking running biking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the effect OP is struggling to get to is raising your BMR (basal metabolic rate).  Muscle requires more energy to just be.  Muscle also weighs more than fat so you aren't going to actually "lose weight" but I think we all understand he's talking about changing body comp and lowering body fat %-age.

Regardless - I'm not a fan of ham-fisted one size fits all, "what I do is best" garbage.  because it isn't true.  If people remember that they are only slightly evolved animals who's bodies are designed to not die, all the rest of this will make sense.  Exercise is training, your body will get more efficient from exercise - these are called adaptations.  You vary the exercise duration, rate, intensity, mode to prevent adaptations in order to maintain results.  If you go on a starvation diet (or any fad diet) you actually train your body to be more efficient and storing fat.

if you want results, be more active than you were yesterday, eat better food.  Most people will have a long time before those two simple rules fail to provide results.  Get back to me then and I'll tell you what to do next.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Funny, running is the number one excuse I got from my clients for why they have never worked out before. There's a reason they came to me instead of continuing to run.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear this a lot.

So people's excuse for not working out is because they don't like to run?  There's plenty of ways to work out without running?  You a GI surgeon?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

because there is running in crossfit, and OP hates crossfit.

and yet both help people become more healthy.. ... OP hates people healthy life choices.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hehehe dem fattiezzzz.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey the guy who doesn't know what genetics are
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So people's excuse for not working out is because they don't like to run?  There's plenty of ways to work out without running?  You a GI surgeon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear this a lot.

You lost me, who doesn't like to run? My clients used to tell me they didn't come to the gym because they tried running to lose weight and failed. Understand?  Surgeon?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree.

Too many people believe that it as simple as calories in, calories out.

That does not account for the glycemic/insulinemic response from elevated blood sugar (caused by consumption of sugar/shitty carbs) that leads to fat storage.  If you're constantly eating thing that cause your body to store fat, it get's really difficult to lose bodyfat.  It doesn't matter if I run my ass off long enough to burn 3000 calories a day (pretty much a marathon) if I eat shitty.

Also, too many people think that if they run or workout, they can eat whatever crap they want.  That's kind of like putting the cheapest shittiest fuel you can into a race car.  Not smart.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh.  Different kinds of mountain biking.  Different kinds of running.  

Bodybuilders?  What the hell.  Self-absorbed non-athletes.  Anyway, quit assuming your preferred idea of fitness is the same as everyone else's.  You seem disproportionately focused on how you look.  A lot of us grow up and get over our body issues.  In my opinion, ability to run is the greatest indicator of human fitness.  I'm not saying a man shouldn't be able to squat at least 225 and deadlift at least 275.  But after that, a good human is able to cover distance.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top