Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey the guy who doesn't know what genetics are
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some fatties will tell themselves ANYTHING to make themselves feel better.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you burn more than you take in, that's all that matters.
View Quote

lol, i used that same explanation to this chick i met once. she continued to argue with me that i didn't know anything because i'm not a woman and woman's bodies are different
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody that states that any kind of cardio is bad for weight loss is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been going to the same gym for years.  The same fat broads have been on the same fucking ellipticals, treadmills, steppers and and what not for just as long.  And they only got older and fatter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

She does look pretty healthy
http://i58.tinypic.com/fm6rrm.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running is a fine path to weight loss.  ANY activity that you do exclusively will eventually provide diminished returns because exercise is training.  You train your body to be more efficient - do an activity while spending the least amount of energy.  This is not exclusive to running.  Besides, for health, being fit is more important than being "not fat".

Both feet are on the ground.

She isn't running.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy shit some of you guys overthink stuff.  

Running lets me sleep well, without resorting to artificial sleep aids, after I've spent all day drinking caffeinated drinks.  Some body weight exercises to keep some bulk on and call it good.  

Caffeine makes me happy, sleep makes me happy, and I'm in good shape - just a little shy of great shape.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Muscle burns calories 24 hours a day, running does not promote muscle building. Runners are scrawny because extra bulky calorie consuming muscles are shed so all energy can be devoted to running.

Go to any gym and look at the cardio area, 99% fat fucks, they can show up everyday and never drop an ounce of fat. The fit people may warmup a few minutes then they lift. The fit women and fit men, not bodybuilder type.

Nothing but cardio makes the body get rid of "unneeded" muscle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Eh Running helps but I wouldn't say that that's the only thing you should do- plus if you've got an extra 100 pounds to lose running could lead to a nice house boat for the doctor that's gonna replace a knee or hip you're destroying. Sitting on your ass is what will kill ya.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Muscle burns calories 24 hours a day, running does not promote muscle building. Runners are scrawny because extra bulky calorie consuming muscles are shed so all energy can be devoted to running.

Go to any gym and look at the cardio area, 99% fat fucks, they can show up everyday and never drop an ounce of fat. The fit people may warmup a few minutes then they lift. The fit women and fit men, not bodybuilder type.
View Quote

Sprinters have plenty of muscle.  Depends on what type of running you do.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do realize actual runners aren't in the gym right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Sprinting promotes growth of type 2, or fast twitch, muscle fibers which aren't as lean as their type 1 counter parts.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
But why would anybody want to lose weight?

Most people are fat. Fat is the new normal. Do you want to be different or special or something?
Just pig out on delicious junk food and drink gallons of Dr. Pepper and be happy. That's what life is all about.

To hell with all that healthy exercise nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep short bursts, not an hour a day on threadmill and nothing else, but you knew we were not talking about muscular sprinter didn't ya, you just wanted to fucking nitpick every fucking detail that was not specifically spelled out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Uhh.  Different kinds of mountain biking.  Different kinds of running.  

Bodybuilders?  What the hell.  Self-absorbed non-athletes.  Anyway, quit assuming your preferred idea of fitness is the same as everyone else's.  You seem disproportionately focused on how you look.  A lot of us grow up and get over our body issues.  In my opinion, ability to run is the greatest indicator of human fitness.  I'm not saying a man shouldn't be able to squat at least 225 and deadlift at least 275.  But after that, a good human is able to cover distance.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your arguments are weaksauce. I can burn 1000 Calories an hour riding my bicycle.

And most pro bodybuilders can burn 1000 calories while taking a nap

Bike riding is much better than running though, a great muscle builder when mountain biking.   Muscle building being the key.

Bodybuilders?  What the hell.  Self-absorbed non-athletes.  Anyway, quit assuming your preferred idea of fitness is the same as everyone else's.  You seem disproportionately focused on how you look.  A lot of us grow up and get over our body issues.  In my opinion, ability to run is the greatest indicator of human fitness.  I'm not saying a man shouldn't be able to squat at least 225 and deadlift at least 275.  But after that, a good human is able to cover distance.  

Bodybuilder comment was based on calorie burning. Self absorbed nonathletes?  I'd like to hear your definition of an athlete I guess.  No  I don't consider bodybuilding competitions to be a sport but I'd love to see you personally go against one of them in an Olympic event such as powerlifting or shot put. Or just tell them they are a non-athlete, then you can use your running skills
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize the runners you speak of are not the fatties struggling to lose fat right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol, i used that same explanation to this chick i met once. she continued to argue with me that i didn't know anything because i'm not a woman and woman's bodies are different
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was one that wasn't fat. She had 250 pounds of water weight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anybody that states that any kind of cardio is bad for weight loss is fucking retarded.
View Quote

Reading is fun
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not exactly the case, when I was in school and ran cross country.  Our coach had us in the gym twice a week lifting, but instead high weight, low reps we did low weight, high reps.  Once track seasons started we reversed that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/8gwNV.jpg

We were actually talking about genetics of skinny people but that cartoon is awesome

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't speak for anyone else but I've lost 20 lbs and my wife 30 lbs since we started training for and running 5k and 10k races in the past 6 months.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running is a fine path to weight loss.  ANY activity that you do exclusively will eventually provide diminished returns because exercise is training.  You train your body to be more efficient - do an activity while spending the least amount of energy.  This is not exclusive to running.  Besides, for health, being fit is more important than being "not fat".

She's not running... both feet are on the ground at the same time. She's walking like a fat ass with a big arm swing;)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]

You are not special.

You are fat because you EAT TOO MUCH.

You eat too much because you don't KNOW HOW MANY CALORIES YOU ARE ACTUALLY CONSUMING.

You Don't know because you're IGNORANT or DGAF.

If you Gave a Fuck, you'd learn that a Hamburger isn't 200cals and a sedentary lifestyle (90% of America) should limit intake to ~*1800kcal /day. (Depending on age/height/sex this will vary SLIGHTLY.... like +-200)

If you get to low 20's BMI and you don't want to lose more, go up to 1900. If you still lose, go to 2000, repeat until your 4 week avg weight is basically the same. Stay there forever. Never need Gastric Bypass Surgery or skin-removal surgery.

If you want to GIVE A FUCK. Start here: 6'0"- 180lb - 45yo Man.

Adjust Accordingly.

Diet is what you eat forever, not what you do to lose weight.

Truth.

*(If you workout and are an AVID gym goer, you know that this doesn't apply to you as much as it does the office worker who comes home and watches TV/Internet all night)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seen this a few times here the last couple weeks.

It is truly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, right up there with hip firing a rifle makes it 10x deadlier and .50 desert Eagles are made to shoot down planes.

It is equivalent to me saying midgets that play football will grow to be 6'2 260lbs.

For those that don't understand I'll try to explain the best I can:

Playing football doesnt make a 6'2, 260lbs man-  6'2, 260lbs men play football.

Competition runners don't get skinny by running- skinny people become competition runners

I made this thread because there is nothing worse than someone who has decided to lose weight for health, looks, or to feel better in general only to be givin info that all but guaranties their failure.

I will state again, running is the worst path to weightloss. It is the toughest way to succeed at lasting gains and should be the very last thing on someone's list after all other steps are taken. I.E. Diet and muscle building ( I said muscle BUILDING not cardio). Weights, unweighted circuit type training, swiming laps ect. just NOT cross fit. Fuck cross fit, that's shits gay.

Hope this helps someone
View Quote

As best I can recall, you have never made a single post that wasn't borderline retarded.

I can't decide whether you're just inarticulate, or legitimately stupid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]
OP do you have a degree in exercise physiology?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That is not exactly the case, when I was in school and ran cross country.  Our coach had us in the gym twice a week lifting, but instead high weight, low reps we did low weight, high reps.  Once track seasons started we reversed that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant the people using to cardio equipmemt. I fully realize that weight training is an important part of fitness and  training. I just don't put much stock into the only lift crowd.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Diet is the key to weightloss.

You can't outrun or outlift a shitty diet.

I run a lot and it's my preferred method of exercise.  Quit trying to pigeonhole people. Eat right and move for a healthy lifestyle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is like if you were in DC and someone asked you how to get back to Virginia, and you looked around at that maze of diagonal roads and one-way streets and said "go south".  

Calories in affects calories out.   They are not independent variables, and different macronutrients have very different metabolic consequences.  

I've been in good shape and unable to make it through the morning without getting hypoglycemic, three hours after breakfast- shaky, clammy, weak, and completely unable to function.  I've more recently fasted for twenty hours and then played two hours of ultimate frisbee with no noticeable loss in output.   The difference is what you eat.  

"A calorie is a calorie" is the battle cry of people who are emotionally attached to food and who also, not coincidentally, think that you need to exercise to lose weight.  You certainly don't need to run.  Assuming you're of the "just drive south" school, you need to make your body more metabolically expensive to run by building more muscle, and deplete muscle glycogen so that your body has something to do with that fruit juice you're going to drink "because it's natural".  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Your arguments are weaksauce. I can burn 1000 Calories an hour riding my bicycle.
View Quote

At 6'2" and 200 pounds, I burn about 1500 calories for just under an hour of running (10 miles at a 5:58 pace).  Running tends to burn more calories than the bike given equal time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is truly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, right up there with hip firing a rifle makes it 10x deadlier and .50 desert Eagles are made to shoot down planes.

It is equivalent to me saying midgets that play football will grow to be 6'2 260lbs.

Competition runners don't get skinny by running- skinny people become competition runners

I made this thread because there is nothing worse than someone who has decided to lose weight for health, looks, or to feel better in general only to be givin info that all but guaranties their failure.

I will state again, running is the worst path to weightloss. It is the toughest way to succeed at lasting gains and should be the very last thing on someone's list after all other steps are taken. I.E. Diet and muscle building ( I said muscle BUILDING not cardio). Weights, unweighted circuit type training, swiming laps ect. just NOT cross fit. Fuck cross fit, that's shits gay.

Hope this helps someone
View Quote

What is your BMI?

Weight loss or not,  Cardo>no Cardo.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Running doesn't burn as many calories because people generally don't run for an hour straight. They run for 20 mins. They exceed the hr level that burns fat efficiently, instead burning lean muscle. Also their metabolism doesn't run for hours after because they haven't exceeded 30 mins straight of activity. Biking is much easier on the joints as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I generally do 20-25 miles a week of running, and I find that those times when I injure myself causing me take a few weeks to a month off from running I actually lose weight.  When I start running again I put the weight back on.
View Quote

This. My appetite skyrockets due to my running. I mysteriously lost weight when I had to quit for about a month.

I feel better, mentally, when I run. But I get depressed when I weigh myself. OHMYGOD!!! Make it stop!

TC
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As best I can recall, you have never made a single post that wasn't borderline retarded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps someone

So you think midgets will become big tall football players, I guess I know which one you are ...

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Hope this helps someone

View Quote
5 3 1 strength training and HIIT changed my life…ZERO LISS cardio for me.

2 years ago I was that guy…you know, a strong, but fat guy.  I was 6'4" 335 pounds.  Strong as an ox, shitty diet, hated cardio.

I never really followed a formal program in the gym…just did stuff I liked.   Got strongk.

Then I discovered Layne Norton's best damn cardio possible in only 15 minutes, and started doing spin bike sprints, as well as pushing trucks, sprints, and other HIIT type protocols.  I dropped 25 pounds pretty quickly, and actually looked pretty damn good at 315 pounds.

I then go serious about strength training, and started with the 5-3-1 program, combined with HIIT and counting/tracking macro nutrients.  I went from 315 pounds down to a low weight of 260 pounds.  

In the last year, I've developed some pretty serious health issues that are unrelated to all of this, but I am still at 280 pounds despite not lifting and no longer doing HIIT…I do ride my bike (roughly 60-75 minutes per day), and I have a very carb heavy diet (low protein/low fat due to solitary kidney and chronic kidney disease).

My point…I never ever ran more than 400 yard. Period.  I did absolutely ZERO 'cardio'.  I did not do dumbass CrossFit.  My reason for not doing either…besides Crossfit being riddled with Ghonnoherpesyphillaidsebola was that I did not want to injure myself and be unable to train.  Crossfit and long distance running on 'this frame' were a recipe for knee and hip and shoulder damage.  Nope.  No part in that.

I am thankful I was able to do what I did…that strength work and muscle development will carry me a long way.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my Lance Corporals weighed 300+ pounds and looked exactly like Chris from Family Guy before he decided to enlist. Complete with the haircut to go with the weight and man boobs. 18 months of determination and hard work later, he was a hundred pounds lighter and enlisting.  He has to show people pictures of before, during, and after his change for them to believe it. He now looks the picture perfect Marine.

My whole family is overweight for more than one generation, but I work out hard enough that I did quite well as a 400m/800m guy in college.  When I quit working out, I put on bad weight fast.  So I work hard. Genetics are largely an excuse.  With proper training and diet, then bar joint problems the vast majority of men should be able to attain a 6 min mile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bike riding is much better than running though, a great muscle builder when mountain biking.   Muscle building being the key.

So, since I'll squat 405 for sets, and then deadlift 385 for sets, and a few other thing, and then immediately follow up with a 5 mile run (or farther), I'm superhuman, right?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

2 years ago I was that guy…you know, a strong, but fat guy.  I was 6'4" 335 pounds.  Strong as an ox, shitty diet, hated cardio.

I never really followed a formal program in the gym…just did stuff I liked.   Got strongk.

Then I discovered Layne Norton's best damn cardio possible in only 15 minutes, and started doing spin bike sprints, as well as pushing trucks, sprints, and other HIIT type protocols.  I dropped 25 pounds pretty quickly, and actually looked pretty damn good at 315 pounds.

I then go serious about strength training, and started with the 5-3-1 program, combined with HIIT and counting/tracking macro nutrients.  I went from 315 pounds down to a low weight of 260 pounds.  

In the last year, I've developed some pretty serious health issues that are unrelated to all of this, but I am still at 280 pounds despite not lifting and no longer doing HIIT…I do ride my bike (roughly 60-75 minutes per day), and I have a very carb heavy diet (low protein/low fat due to solitary kidney and chronic kidney disease).

My point…I never ever ran more than 400 yard. Period.  I did absolutely ZERO 'cardio'.  I did not do dumbass CrossFit.  My reason for not doing either…besides Crossfit being riddled with Ghonnoherpesyphillaidsebola was that I did not want to injure myself and be unable to train.  Crossfit and long distance running on 'this frame' were a recipe for knee and hip and shoulder damage.  Nope.  No part in that.

I am thankful I was able to do what I did…that strength work and muscle development will carry me a long way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps someone

260 is still obese
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#40]
funny....

i lost ~70-80 lbs by doing crossfit, running, and adjusting my eating habits
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What is your BMI?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps someone

What is your BMI?

21.3   I am abit underweight with The heat and my work schedule right now. Extra Shredded and vascular like a mother fucker though.

Absolutely correct nothing wrong with cardio.  

Of course most people don't realize that cardio means- heart, and has nothing to do with exercise or muscle building or anything but the heart
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#43]
<knock off the personal attacks>
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite?

And the great thing about bicycling is that you don't need to be a pro to burn calories like that. 277 watts.

Not mountain biking though. Compared to road cycling it is second tier in calorie burning.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hope this helps someone
View Quote

And one of my groomsman lost 60 pounds by running alone. No diet or anything else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wow, I think that might be the most asshole remark I've ever seen here. And that's really saying something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
260 is still obese

Wow, I think that might be the most asshole remark I've ever seen here. And that's really saying something

I don't take it as assholish, just ignorant.  Ronnie Coleman's contest weight was 300.   That's why BMI sucks ass.  It makes an assumption- an assumption that's probably correct- but it's still an assumption.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't take it as assholish, just ignorant.  Ronnie Coleman's contest weight was 300.   That's why BMI sucks ass.  It makes an assumption- an assumption that's probably correct- but it's still an assumption.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
260 is still obese

sorry, I admit it was out of line. ClatuVertanictu lost a lot of weight and that's a big accomplishment.

I had a knee-jerk reaction remembering an instance where some dude on a forum was giving out fitness advice, arguing aggressively, and I later on learned he looked something like this:

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
260 is still obese

I agree with you on BMI, but I find it asshole-ish due to the fact he had to stop training when he got down to 260 because of serious health problems.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

At 6'2" and 200 pounds, I burn about 1500 calories for just under an hour of running (10 miles at a 5:58 pace).  Running tends to burn more calories than the bike given equal time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer cycling or swimming.  Less impact to the joints.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How are you measuring this? On a bicycle we use power meters. These are not numbers we are just estimating. At 70kg, I can burn 1000 Cal/hr for hour after hour. At your mass of 90 kg, burning 1500 Cal/hr calculates very close to the same W/kg. If you can do that two hours a day three times a week plus a five hour ride on Saturday, then your running would be equivalent.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top