Posted: 9/4/2010 9:13:08 PM EDT

Woman eaten by maggots; husband indicted

CINCINNATI
- A grand jury has indicted a Cincinnati man for allegedly not taking
care of his bed-ridden wife and allowing her to be eaten by maggots
while alive.

Darrel White, 65, was charged Friday with involuntary manslaughter
and failing to provide for a functionally impaired person. Those
charges carry a maximum prison sentence of 11-1/2 years.

White
is accused of allowing his wife, Jorene White, 46, to die by not taking
her to the doctor or taking care of her while she was sick.

"This is a horrible case," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters
said Friday. "We have never seen anything like this before. She was
literally being eaten alive by maggots."

Police responded July 23 to a 911 call to the Whites' home. The home
was so filthy and smelled so badly, police wore special masks and suits
to enter it, records state. Once inside, they found Jorene White's body.

Initially, authorities believed she had been dead for a week because
of the state of the body's decomposition and the large number of
maggots, flies and rotting bed sores.

But the Hamilton County Coroner declared she had been dead only one
day when police arrived. That means the maggots were eating her body
when she was alive.
Her cause of death was sepsis, an infection of the
blood system.

She suffered from a serious case of arthritis for which she had been
hospitalized previously but hadn't received medical help in some time.

Other adults also lived in the home, but Darrel White was indicted because he was her husband, responsible for her care.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What.

The.

Fuck.

-Ed
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta love The Nasty 'Natti
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pics?

BAN HIM!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Speedy, fair trial.
One appeal.
Three days stamping license plates.
Two rounds of 308 to the chest, one to the forehead.

Justice served.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what to say.  Not sure which sub-species he belongs to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
holy shiit.  we had a sheep that got a bruise that got infested with maggots, we caught it but it was too later. got eaten alive inside out. what a horrible death.

i can't imagine anyone would do this to a human being.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
So everyone living there was fine with the smell
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That is one awful person
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Reminds me about last year when I saw this in the news
A 700-to 800-pound man died in the hospital on Wednesday after spending more than seven months confined to a chair in his home, according to documents from the Greenwood Sheriff’s Office.

One of the deputies working the scene told me the guy had been in the chair so long that his flesh had grown into the fabric.  They had to cut up the chair to get him out of it  Not to mention everything in the ambulance had to be removed to even fit him on there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like everyone in that household was not right in the head. I can't even to begin to imagine that stench in the August heat
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#13]
snap
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought maggots only ate dead tissue?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Maggots only eat dead flesh though. Hell they use them medically all over the world, and even here in the US. Something else must have been killing the flesh.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Crap!  I wonder if that is how King Herod died.
This is truly horrible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bed sores provide the starting point. After that they just keep eating.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maggots only eat dead flesh though. Hell they use them medically all over the world, and even here in the US. Something else must have been killing the flesh.
Ditto. there is something more to this story, that is not being told. Typical news media, leaving out the important info to sell more newspapers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#19]
cool
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, why do people say that "maggots were eating them alive"???
Maggots only eat dead flesh and zombies.

In fact its one of the secret BIO-weapons the gov't has developed in case of a zombie outbreak. They have huge canisters of these special flies that they release by helicopter. It will lay eggs on the nearby zombies, et viola, it gets eaten up max 3 days.

and yeah, I've seen that shit on my cats before. one had a pussy wound (thats pus like i mean), but his hair was covering it up, we didn't know till he started acting weird, yelping and leaping for no reason. But we got it in time and the vet shaved it all off and got rid of the fuckers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Reminds me about last year when I saw this in the news

A 700-to 800-pound man died in the hospital on Wednesday after spending more than seven months confined to a chair in his home, according to documents from the Greenwood Sheriff’s Office.

One of the deputies working the scene told me the guy had been in the chair so long that his flesh had grown into the fabric.  They had to cut up the chair to get him out of it  Not to mention everything in the ambulance had to be removed to even fit him on there.

I didn't think that was possible.  It's a crazy world.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Pics?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#25]
If anything, the maggots were only eating dead flesh.  Sepsis for certain but it is unlikely that was caused by the maggots.

46 years young.  That is what is criminal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#26]
These so-called "caregivers" need their tail ends kicked and hard!  One of the best things you can do for a family member is provide good care for them (medical or otherwise) so they don't have to live in a nursing home till the end of their days.  I know that not everyone is able to provide that kind of commitment, but still.........
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Maggots only eat dead flesh.
Lots of cultures use them to clean wounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speedy, fair trial.
One appeal.

Justice served.

This makes an impossibly high amount of sense
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speedy, fair trial.
One appeal.

Justice served.

This makes an impossibly high amount of sense

++!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bed sores provide the starting point. After that they just keep eating.

This. If people who cannot move for themselves arent turned on their sides every so often they get bed sores and they just keep getting bigger and bigger. The bedsores could have gotten infected and caused the sepsis if they were that bad. If she was bed ridden I wonder if they even changed her.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#31]
fuck I wish I could un-read that.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Oookayyy...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So everyone living there was fine with the smell

This.

"other adults living in the home but he was indicted".
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto. there is something more to this story, that is not being told. Typical news media, leaving out the important info to sell more newspapers.
I think he was probably indicted on the fact that he neglected her, since he was probably her primary care provider.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know what to say.  Not sure which sub-species he belongs to.

I know which one...and it's the lowest of the low.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn dude. She was only 46
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Maggots only eat dead flesh though.

Yup.

BTW, If someone comes into the ER with an extremity wrapped in plastic, DO NOT be the one who volunteers to unwrap it

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe the old man was well past the point that he could even remember what had to be done to help her?

I've seen first hand people who are under the age of 65 who can't tie their own shoes, flush the toliet, take a shower, let alone take care of someone else.

My Uncle is like that, Cop approached him one day in our front yard to ask him where such and such address on our street was. Uncle cussed the guy, told him to go fuck himself, stood up with a rake in his hands almost got shot.

Got him back to the house and asked him wtf he was thinking. "about what? I didn't do any such thing!"  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:19:36 AM EDT
[#39]
This is what happens when people are allowed to mate with vegetables.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:29:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
holy shiit.  we had a sheep that got a bruise that got infested with maggots, we caught it but it was too later. got eaten alive inside out. what a horrible death.

I thought maggots only ate dead flesh.  Don't they use them to help with severe burn recovery?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#42]
San Diego or Parris Island maggots?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#43]
A doctor at UCI, California operates the only FDA approved maggot farm.  Maggots eat only dead flesh.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#44]
WTF!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd rather be eaten by a bear.

Dear Lord.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

this. maggots only eat dead flesh. You can use them to clean out a wound so the dead flesh is taken care of in order to get to the live flesh.

There is one type of maggot that eats live flesh if I remember correctly but I think it is only found in Africa.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#48]
stay classy Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought maggots only ate dead flesh.  Don't they use them to help with severe burn recovery?

If maggots could feast on a "live" burn victim, why couldnt they do the same to the poor lady in the OP?

Gangrene is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that arises when a considerable mass of body tissue dies (necrosis).This may occur after an injury or infection, or in people suffering from any chronic health problem affecting blood circulation. The prime cause of gangrene is reduced blood supply to the affected tissues, which results in cell death. Diabetes and long-term smoking increase the risk of suffering from gangrene. -From Wiki.

All it takes is one fly to lay eggs in, on or near the inital wound site.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oookayyy...

What are the worst pressure sores/decubitus ulcers you've seen in the ER?

When I was an intern I had to admit a lady whose sacrum was exposed down to the bone.  The bone was white and completely dried out.  The area exposed was the size of a dessert plate and the rim of tissue around it was black.  Her room was at the end of a long hallway.  When I would round on her in the morning I could smell her from the start of the hallway.  She was in renal failure and the family made her DNR.  She died a week later.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top