Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a guess, obama supporter?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oookayyy...

What are the worst pressure sores/decubitus ulcers you've seen in the ER?

When I was an intern I had to admit a lady whose sacrum was exposed down to the bone.  The bone was white and completely dried out.  The area exposed was the size of a dessert plate and the rim of tissue around it was black.  Her room was at the end of a long hallway.  When I would round on her in the morning I could smell her from the start of the hallway.  She was in renal failure and the family made her DNR.  She died a week later.

Could you please be a little more descriptive? Theres still a little protein shake in the pit of my stomach that I didnt quite get up........
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an elder-abuse call where the medic went to examine an old lady's arm cast, and roaches came out.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maggots only eat dead flesh though. Hell they use them medically all over the world, and even here in the US. Something else must have been killing the flesh.
Ditto. there is something more to this story, that is not being told. Typical news media, leaving out the important info to sell more newspapers.

My guess is several people using the welfare/disability check as a source of income.

The ages of the husband / wife are a bit odd too.  (61 / 46)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Ithought maggots only eat dead flesh not live flesh
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Maggots don't "eat you alive".  They can only consume tissue that is already dead.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought maggots only ate dead tissue?

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought maggots only ate dead tissue?

With rampant sepsis, parts of her body were dying the whole time she was alive.  She had an infection somewhere that was so bad that it spread to other parts of her body.  She wasn't technically eaten alive, other than the maggots eating up all the dead flesh.  The infection is what killed her.

ETA:  All the information you guys need is in the article.  Stop posting "Not all the info".  She died of sepsis, according to the coroner, which means she had a rampant infection killing tissue all over her body.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maggots only eat dead flesh though. Hell they use them medically all over the world, and even here in the US. Something else must have been killing the flesh.

Exactly...not all the info here...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Pics of the wife or GTF......wait a second...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sepsis. Infection from bed sores left to rot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So everyone living there was fine with the smell

You would be amazed at what people will live in/with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oookayyy...

When I was an intern I had to admit a lady whose sacrum was exposed down to the bone.  The bone was white and completely dried out.  The area exposed was the size of a dessert plate and the rim of tissue around it was black.  Her room was at the end of a long hallway.  When I would round on her in the morning I could smell her from the start of the hallway.  She was in renal failure and the family made her DNR.  She died a week later.

Could you please be a little more descriptive? Theres still a little protein shake in the pit of my stomach that I didnt quite get up........

Sorry, man.  That smell went straight into your brain.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Video of the disorder:
http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/attachments/f149/203108d1282011994-myasis-parasitic-disorder-maggots-eating-person-alive-9myasis.flv

Left cold for a reason, it's pretty graphic.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

holy shiit.  we had a sheep that got a bruise that got infested with maggots, we caught it but it was too later. got eaten alive inside out. what a horrible death.

i can't imagine anyone would do this to a human being.

Seen it.  Adult male with mental problems lived in a trailer park with his mom staying in a back bedroom.  The daughter called us because she was worried about mom.  Hadn't heard from her for quite a while.  We forced entry and found mom, who weighed about 60 lbs., lying on a bed.  She was fused to the decomposing mattress and covered in maggots, urine and feces.  Plenty of open sores and seeping fluids.  The maggots were happy.  Extrication was a bitch because mom was awake and alert despite nearly being starved to death and in incredible pain.  Every motion caused her to cry out.

It was a tough scene.  People are pigs.

eta Oh hell!  I forgot all about the ants!  They really liked her.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#16]
OKAY WE GOT IT!

MAGGOTS ONLY EAT DEAD FLESH.

READ THE FUCKING THREAD ALREADY, IT'S ONLY TWO PAGES AT THIS POINT!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Zombie maggots will eat live flesh.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. They don't eat living tissue. Gotta be more to the story.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. They don't eat living tissue. Gotta be more to the story.

Bed sores became gangrenous.  Maggots ate the necrotic tissue.  My guess.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
BS.  Maggots only eat dead flesh, that is why they are so effective in wound care.  They don't harm the healthy tissue.  If they ate away at her, then she was dead.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Husband let his wife get all necrotic and gross. Not a big mystery.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Some fucking people.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#24]
There's a pic of such happenstance on rotten.com.  The guy's still alive.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BS.  Maggots only eat dead flesh, that is why they are so effective in wound care.  They don't harm the healthy tissue.  If they ate away at her, then she was dead.

Gangrene leads to sepsis if untreated.  Her cause of death was sepsis.  Gangrene is localized decomp.  Maggots eat dead flesh.  Gangrenous wounds can become infested with maggots if untreated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

stay classy Ohio.

Where you posting from Howie - Cleveland?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oookayyy...

When I was an intern I had to admit a lady whose sacrum was exposed down to the bone. The bone was white and completely dried out. The area exposed was the size of a dessert plate and the rim of tissue around it was black. Her room was at the end of a long hallway. When I would round on her in the morning I could smell her from the start of the hallway. She was in renal failure and the family made her DNR. She died a week later.

Sorry, man. That smell went straight into your brain.

Had an EMS run a few years back on a possible DOA. Tried to force the front door but immediately ran into something on the floor immediately behind the door - which concerned me as often people will try to get outside and fall at the door when suffering from M.I.'s etc.  What DID get out the door when we forced it was an unmistakable odor.  Went to the back door and got in ON TOP OF 4 FEET OF PACKAGES FROM HSN AND QVC PILED THROUGH THE ENTIRE TOWNHOME WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE BATHROOM.  We had to duck our heads to not hit the ceiling.  I found her on the couch - dead for weeks and significantly decompsed & melting into the couch.  The odor was horrible so we were all mouthbreathing.  I shined my flashlight on her face because in the ambient light it looked like she had a beard AND THE BEARD FLEW AWAY!  Thousands of little flies filled the townhouse which immediately ended the mouthbreathing.  I remember telling myself that if one of those flies flew into my mouth I was going to beat myself to death with my radio! lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maggots only eat dead flesh.
Lots of cultures use them to clean wounds.

Not true. Only certain types of fly larvae are applicable.

"Those flies whose larvae feed on dead animals will sometimes lay their eggs on the dead parts (necrotic or gangrenous tissue) of living animals. When maggots are infesting live animals, that condition is called “myiasis.” Some of those maggots will feed only on dead tissue, some only on live tissue, and some on live or dead tissue. The flies used most often for the purpose of maggot therapy are "blow flies" (Calliphoridae); and the species used most commonly is Phaenicia sericata, the green blow fly. Another important species, Protophormia terraenovae, is also notable for its feeding secretions, which combat infection by Streptococcus pyogenes and Streptococcus pneumoniae.[30]"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Zombie maggots will eat live flesh.

I hope it's not wrong of me to lol in a thread like this... because I lol'ed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oookayyy...

When I was an intern I had to admit a lady whose sacrum was exposed down to the bone. The bone was white and completely dried out. The area exposed was the size of a dessert plate and the rim of tissue around it was black. Her room was at the end of a long hallway. When I would round on her in the morning I could smell her from the start of the hallway. She was in renal failure and the family made her DNR. She died a week later.

Sorry, man. That smell went straight into your brain.

Had an EMS run a few years back on a possible DOA. Tried to force the front door but immediately ran into something on the floor immediately behind the door - which concerned me as often people will try to get outside and fall at the door when suffering from M.I.'s etc.  What DID get out the door when we forced it was an unmistakable odor.  Went to the back door and got in ON TOP OF 4 FEET OF PACKAGES FROM HSN AND QVC PILED THROUGH THE ENTIRE TOWNHOME WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE BATHROOM.  We had to duck our heads to not hit the ceiling.  I found her on the couch - dead for weeks and significantly decompsed & melting into the couch.  The odor was horrible so we were all mouthbreathing.  I shined my flashlight on her face because in the ambient light it looked like she had a beard AND THE BEARD FLEW AWAY!  Thousands of little flies filled the townhouse which immediately ended the mouthbreathing.  I remember telling myself that if one of those flies flew into my mouth I was going to beat myself to death with my radio! lol

OMG
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top