Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:16:08 PM EST
So I am at a customers location today and I make a comment about a kerry sticker I saw. She tells me that she is voting for kerry also. I kindly ask here why and she replies that she heard Bush is going to reinstate the draft. I ask her where she heard this and she would not elaborate. Then she goes on to say that her son has just enlisted into the armed services because he was afraid he would be drafted. I'm thinking to myself, he just signed up for a tour of the sandbox.

Then she goes on to parrot the "1000 soldiers have died in Iraq" thing and how it is Bush's fault they have all died.
I asked her if she knew how many American men died during the battle of Gettysburg? She didn't know, I told here that over 51000 American men where killed, wounded or MIA in just 3 days. Her comment was "where they Marines?" . I told her no they where Union and Confederate soldiers who where all Americans on American soil.

I tried to explain why I was supporting Bush but she did not want to listen, so all I could do was walk back to my truck and do my work. The gentleman who has been helping me on my jobs this year is a Vietnam vet who served in Cambodia and Laos. He didn't have to many kind words about this lady at all.

Well the job was done so I had to go inside her house to settle up the bill. Hanging on the wall is a 3'X4' poster in tribute to John Lennon. That explained a whole lot right there. She then tells me that kerry is going to give Bush a run for his money.

I left!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:16:54 PM EST
stupid is as stupid does
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:17:48 PM EST
Not to be a tool, but...

Business is business. She wasn't paying you for your political opinion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:18:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 6:23:23 PM EST by CAR-10]
Mentally, I'd kick her in the ovaries.

In reality, I'd not waste my precious time on someone so hopelessly ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:18:46 PM EST
God help us all. She gets to vote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:20:05 PM EST
cambodia and laos.
Did he serve with Kerry?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:21:11 PM EST
people who actually believe the President is going to re-instate the draft are too fucking stupid to talk to anyway.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:24:21 PM EST
John Lennon eh?

"Imagine all the Sheeple"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:25:59 PM EST
You can't win them all, especially when it's a customer. I know the feeling. You'd like to smack her upside the head and say "come on lady THINK!". But thinking is a conservative thing, feeling is the liberal thing. A lot of people can't tell the difference. Maybe she's feeling guilt about indirectly convincing her son to enlist because of her feelings about the draft. Evidently he thought it was real enough to do something (a typical male response) about it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:30:48 PM EST
wasn't it the D's that were trying to reinstate the draft?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:34:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 6:35:06 PM EST by jfrush]
I wouldn't discuss politics with customers, it's bad for business.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:39:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By jfrush:
I wouldn't discuss politics with customers, it's bad for business.

We got rid of this same customer a couple of years ago. They just signed back on under a different name.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:40:09 PM EST
Keep your eye on the ball-------------the money she will pay you for your work. Personally, I've found service type jobs like yours difficult, because of the amount of BS you must endure to make $$$.

The irony is that her own flesh and blood joined the service. Maybe, one day, he will talk some sense into her . . . .

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:36:40 PM EST
"maam, lick my balls!" or"vote for GW!"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:42:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:
people who actually believe the President is going to re-instate the draft are too fucking stupid to talk to anyway.

But they are still allowed to vote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:46:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:
Not to be a tool, but...

I agree.

If I was paying someone to do work at my house, and they started commenting (negatively) on my political views, I'd tell them to pack up their shit and get the fuck off my property ASAP!

That said - this woman is clearly a half-witted idiot, but I think those are two separate issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:02:46 PM EST
you should have asked her why, with the retention and enlistment quotas at 100%+ would there be a draft for an undertrained conscript force?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:08:13 PM EST
I would have increased the amount of the bill.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:17:10 PM EST
That reminds me . In typical liberal fashion my boss pussed out on the buttons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:19:01 PM EST
pooper/pics
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:30:52 PM EST
Do your job and keep your personal opinions about EVERYTHING to yourself.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:11:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:
Not to be a tool, but...

I agree.

If I was paying someone to do work at my house, and they started commenting (negatively) on my political views, I'd tell them to pack up their shit and get the fuck off my property ASAP!

That said - this woman is clearly a half-witted idiot, but I think those are two separate issues.

I never made a negative comment. All I said was that you don't see to many kerry stickers around here. She then told me she was suporting kerry. All I did was ask why?
Top Top