Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 7:16:08 PM EDT
So I am at a customers location today and I make a comment about a kerry sticker I saw. She tells me that she is voting for kerry also. I kindly ask here why and she replies that she heard Bush is going to reinstate the draft. I ask her where she heard this and she would not elaborate. Then she goes on to say that her son has just enlisted into the armed services because he was afraid he would be drafted. I'm thinking to myself, he just signed up for a tour of the sandbox.

Then she goes on to parrot the "1000 soldiers have died in Iraq" thing and how it is Bush's fault they have all died.
I asked her if she knew how many American men died during the battle of Gettysburg? She didn't know, I told here  that over 51000 American men where killed, wounded or MIA in just 3 days. Her comment was "where they Marines?" . I told her no they where Union and Confederate soldiers who where all Americans on American soil.

I tried to explain why I was supporting Bush but she did not want to listen, so all I could do was walk back to my truck and do my work. The gentleman who has been helping me on my jobs this year is a Vietnam vet who served in Cambodia and Laos. He didn't have to many kind words about this lady at all.

Well the job was done so I had to go inside her house to settle up the bill. Hanging on the wall is a 3'X4' poster in tribute to John Lennon. That explained a whole lot right there. She then tells me that kerry is going to give Bush a run for his money.

I left!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
stupid is as stupid does
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to be a tool, but...

Business is business.  She wasn't paying you for your political opinion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Mentally, I'd kick her in the ovaries.

In reality, I'd not waste my precious time on someone so hopelessly ignorant.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
God help us all.   She gets to vote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
cambodia and laos.
Did he serve with Kerry?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
people who actually believe the President is going to re-instate the draft are too fucking stupid to talk to anyway.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
John Lennon eh?

"Imagine all the Sheeple"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't win them all, especially when it's a customer.  I know the feeling.  You'd like to smack her upside the head and say "come on lady THINK!".  But thinking is a conservative thing, feeling is the liberal thing.  A lot of people can't tell the difference.  Maybe she's feeling guilt about  indirectly convincing her son to enlist because of her feelings about the draft.  Evidently he thought it was real enough to do something (a typical male response) about it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
wasn't it the D's that were trying to reinstate the draft?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't discuss politics with customers, it's bad for business.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I wouldn't discuss politics with customers, it's bad for business.

We got rid of this same customer a couple of years ago. They just signed back on under a different name.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep your eye on the ball-------------the money she will pay you for your work.  Personally, I've found service type jobs like yours difficult, because of the amount of BS you must endure to make $$$.

The irony is that her own flesh and blood joined the service.  Maybe, one day, he will talk some sense into her . . . .

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
"maam, lick my balls!" or"vote for GW!"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
people who actually believe the President is going to re-instate the draft are too fucking stupid to talk to anyway.

But they are still allowed to vote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not to be a tool, but...

I agree.

If I was paying someone to do work at my house, and they started commenting (negatively) on my political views, I'd tell them to pack up their shit and get the fuck off my property ASAP!  

That said - this woman is clearly a half-witted idiot, but I think those are two separate issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
you should have asked her why, with the retention and enlistment quotas at 100%+ would there be a draft for an undertrained conscript force?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I would have increased the amount of the bill.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
That reminds me . In typical liberal fashion my boss pussed out on the buttons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#19]
pooper/pics
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Do your job and keep your personal opinions about EVERYTHING to yourself.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not to be a tool, but...

I agree.

If I was paying someone to do work at my house, and they started commenting (negatively) on my political views, I'd tell them to pack up their shit and get the fuck off my property ASAP!  

That said - this woman is clearly a half-witted idiot, but I think those are two separate issues.

I never made a negative comment. All I said was that you don't see to many kerry stickers around here. She then told me she was suporting kerry. All I did was ask why?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top