BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2016 5:26:11 AM EDT

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't. Going through the process of applying for an apprenticeship to be an inside wireman. Just waiting on when they tell me my interview is.

But my stepdad is a master electrician. Owns his own business and has a deceptive amount of money. He's a dick but I don't think i've ever seen anyone know their shit like he does.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't. Going through the process of applying for an apprenticeship to be an inside wireman. Just waiting on when they tell me my interview is.

But my stepdad is a master electrician. Owns his own business and has a deceptive amount of money. He's a dick but I don't think i've ever seen anyone know their shit like he does.
View Quote
I had to do work sometimes that needed facility power, the licensed electricians who had to give it to us nobody fucked with, they knew their shit. And they were fucking paid big money.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]

The best many here would have is a master baiters license.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Electrical is a fine line of work. I have a 9th grade education and make more than most with master degrees.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I worked for electricians and plumbers for about ten years until I got my current job.
No insurance, vacation, and pay barely above minimum wage, but the company owner and son sure made out well.
If it wasn't for the above, I would have stayed in one or the other.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a journeyman here, not licensed because I work industrial maintenance and paid hourly. I will do sidejobs for friends and neighbors occasionally but I pretty much despise residential and commercial wiring/installation/troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Electrical is a fine line of work. I have a 9th grade education and make more than most with master degrees.
View Quote

One
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Two
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a journeyman here, not licensed because I work industrial maintenance and paid hourly. I will do sidejobs for friends and neighbors occasionally but I pretty much despise residential and commercial wiring/installation/troubleshooting.
View Quote
You studying for the license or happy with being a journeyman?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I worked for electricians and plumbers for about ten years until I got my current job.
No insurance, vacation, and pay barely above minimum wage, but the company owner and son sure made out well.
View Quote
Both of them licensed?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a master electricians lic. In CO.    Worked mainly oilfield and commercial Elec, and the money was very good.
I'll say this, I have known electricians with masters that were master baiters at best, and guys with only apprentice or no papers that were really masters of the trade.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The best many here would have is a master baiters license.
View Quote

I have that one!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#15]
With the push for college for everyone, the trades will be more important.
The manufacturing field as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does that even happen? The bennies can be slim in the trades, but the money is fat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Young people who don't like school and want to learn a trade can do the same thing.  

Shame is the fuckers don't want it.

Texas state Master here. but it aint worth a lot they gave them away like party favors when they grandfathered us all in.  But I am an SBCCI tested master.  what ever that is worth

When I got out of college in 83 everyone was looking for a job.  My friends asked me what I was going to do.  My reply was the same thing I do everyday after school, Electrician.

They said that's a shame and I asked them what they were making and I had them all beat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]
this is going to be the case with many trades
there are no young guys willing to do this stuff anymore
i havent had a decent flooring installer apply for a job in almost 10yrs
fucking sucks
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither. Electrical work is uninspiring and boring as hell. But my gig has a great pay:responsibility ratio so I'm just content to ride it out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I have my masters
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I have TMEL and TECL.

That's a electrical masters license and a contractors license.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How does that even happen? The bennies can be slim in the trades, but the money is fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The electrician stuff was just out of highschool, and I helped wire a bunch of budget houses.
Kept helping another guy wire houses on the side up until about 2006, while working fulltime as a plumbing apprentice.
Even the journeymen and masters were struggling, so I took a job at a factory.
I still hate the factory job, but it is the only job I've ever had that had vacation and insurance, and I don't burn to death in the summer.
Oh, I make about twice the money, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a j-man, man. Staying at j-man for now so I can take advantage of reciprocity agreements in case I want to bounce to a different part of the country for a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a master electrician's license.

Every year it seems the crop of new apprentices and helpers gets lower and lower quality.  I mean like to the point of they are willing to hire almost anyone.

The video in the op seems pretty spot on, everyone wants to go to college, but the kids think they will automatically have a high paying job when it's finished with no student debt.  And who want's to work with their hands?  Eew! Yucky!

2009-2012 was tough times for the trades for the most part.  It doesn't matter if your hourly wage is $30-40/hour if your are not working.  Some guys I know were laid off for 2 years.  Things are better now, and the trades are back to work (at least for now).

Going in to business for yourself can be feast or famine, as it is pretty cut throat sometimes.  I have met guys who both made it on their own, and guys who either got bought out or went back to work for a contractor after closing the doors.  All it takes it seems is some bad luck and a customer/contractor who doesn't pay you and then your behind the 8 ball.

The guys who seem to be successful making it on their own usually have built up a base of steady customers from a previous job at a contractor.  When they leave the contractor, they take the customers with them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
j man checking in
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#26]
My apprenticeship was the best thing that ever happened to me, led to a good career. The hard shit was worth it. It paid off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#27]
low voltage unrestricted, and about 10 other pieces of paper that claim I know what I'm doing with data, alarms, wireless, and other stuff.

I've done everything from 40kW gensets, outside plant lighting, PLCs, on down.  I've found a happy niche now where the risk/reward seems to be the best .

15+ years playing with wires
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a master electricians lic. In CO.    Worked mainly oilfield and commercial Elec, and the money was very good.
I'll say this, I have known electricians with masters that were master baiters at best, and guys with only apprentice or no papers that were really masters of the trade.
View Quote
Three
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Young people who don't like school and want to learn a trade can do the same thing.  

Texas state Master here. but it aint worth a lot they gave them away like party favors when they grandfathered us all in.  But I am an SBCCI tested master.  what ever that is worth

When I got out of college in 83 everyone was looking for a job.  My friends asked me what I was going to do.  My reply was the same thing I do everyday after school, Electrician.

They said that's a shame and I asked them what they were making and I had them all beat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Four
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have my masters
View Quote
Five
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Every year it seems the crop of new apprentices and helpers gets lower and lower quality.  I mean like to the point of they are willing to hire almost anyone.
The video in the op seems pretty spot on, everyone wants to go to college, but the kids think they will automatically have a high paying job when it's finished with no student debt.  And who want's to work with their hands?  Eew! Yucky!

2009-2012 was tough times for the trades for the most part.  It doesn't matter if your hourly wage is $30-40/hour if your are not working.  Some guys I know were laid off for 2 years.  Things are better now, and the trades are back to work (at least for now).

Going in to business for yourself can be feast or famine, as it is pretty cut throat sometimes.  I have met guys who both made it on their own, and guys who either got bought out or went back to work for a contractor after closing the doors.  All it takes it seems is some bad luck and a customer/contractor who doesn't pay you and then your behind the 8 ball.

The guys who seem to be successful making it on their own usually have built up a base of steady customers from a previous job at a contractor.  When they leave the contractor, they take the customers with them.
View Quote
Six
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#32]
At least six guys so far I could borrow $50 if I am in a bind
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I left my old company to work for one of my best customers, which allows me to still do work for any of my old customers that want to see my face fixing their equipment instead of anyone else's.  best of both worlds!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
At least six guys so far I could borrow $50 if I am in a bind
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not electrical but HVAC journeyman.

State licensed.

Everything I have been reading says we are headed for a major shortage of skilled labor, especially master/journeyman level skill. Labor prices have been steadily rising in this industry for years. Old timers with all the experience are retiring and coming back as consultants for 2x the price and larger companies are gobbling them up. All they do is advise the younger guys on how to repair equipment.

I left a $75k/yr position last year to start my own mechanical company, it has far exceeded my expectations so far. We are on track to do 100% growth in only 10mo.

Commercial/industrial accounts are screaming for good HVAC service.

I hope this trend continues.
View Quote
A/C in South Florida you are like the best looking girl in the brothel, busy
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I worked Facilities Maintenance at American Airlines we had 2 guys there with electrical licenses, they were already retired and set for life. They just wanted to do a couple of jobs a day and puff on a cigar. They could pull permits and were paid about $4 an hour more. I would get on them for that. Motherfucker with that license you can make a half a million dollars and you are only getting $4 an hour more than me cause you save the airline from getting a outside contractor. And they would answer rolling the cigar around "I just don't want to be bothered anymore"
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Retired now, but a Master electrician for the last 25 years I worked. I specialized in medical facilities, and did work with a few high quality General contractors doing work at the local hospitals. I also am a certified computer tech and telephone tech and installed complete systems for several hospitals. At one time, I almost quit doing the electrician side and install just cable systems as the work is easier and that pays better. BUT---- there was one hospital or another that needed rush work performed in the OR suites, Day Surgery, Cath Lab after hours, on  holidays, weekends when there was not any scheduled surgeries, procedures, etc. and the pay was outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Retired now, but a Master electrician for the last 25 years I worked. I specialized in medical facilities, and did work with a few high quality General contractors doing work at the local hospitals. I also am a certified computer tech and telephone tech and installed complete systems for several hospitals. At one time, I almost quit doing the electrician side and install just cable systems as the work is easier and that pays better. BUT---- there was one hospital or another that needed rush work performed in the OR suites, Day Surgery, Cath Lab after hours, on  holidays, weekends when there was not any scheduled surgeries, procedures, etc. and the pay was outstanding.
View Quote
Seven
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#39]
HVAC.

As explained above.. It is trending up.

All the trades in CO have more openings than qualified help.

Problem being, no one can/will pass a piss test.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not as an apprentice, I couldn't afford to work long enough to get my Journeyman license.  The owner was doing very well off the back of my hard labor, but when I could barely afford to get by and they couldn't give me a small bump in pay.  One reason why these professions now have a shortage.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one was more pissed than I when Texas grandfathered everyone. I had an SBCCI and City of Houston masters license that I had to study and test for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
low voltage unrestricted, and about 10 other pieces of paper that claim I know what I'm doing with data, alarms, wireless, and other stuff.

I've done everything from 40kW gensets, outside plant lighting, PLCs, on down.  I've found a happy niche now where the risk/reward seems to be the best .

View Quote

Same.
Licensed LV contractor, 15+ years in, lots of industry certs, yadda, yadda, yadda. My "happy place" is high end residential but I gotta say, the push for $15/hr min wage and the interest in automating things like fast food has me thinking about learning that side of things and diversifying.

Even the "cutting edge" world of technology/automation is greying rapidly. The majority of the guys I work with are 40+ and there aren't too many young guys coming up behind us.
I say bring the labor shortage, I will just raise my rates and be super picky with what projects I take on.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#43]
50+ now and running the maintenance for a couple commercial properties, but if the clock rolled back and I was starting again I'd go electrician.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Same.
Licensed LV contractor, 15+ years in, lots of industry certs, yadda, yadda, yadda. My "happy place" is high end residential but I gotta say, the push for $15/hr min wage and the interest in automating things like fast food has me thinking about learning that side of things and diversifying.

Even the "cutting edge" world of technology/automation is greying rapidly. The majority of the guys I work with are 40+ and there aren't too many young guys coming up behind us.
I say bring the labor shortage, I will just raise my rates and be super picky with what projects I take on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

my current job finds me installing and maintaining the backend of those systems that will replace the $15hr fast food employee.  it's really simple
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No one was more pissed than I when Texas grandfathered everyone. I had an SBCCI and City of Houston masters license that I had to study and test for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took several Masters test in various cities but when the SBCCI had about 6 cities I decided that I needed to take it.  Thinking that one day it would be the state test.

I took the Houston Master in 93 right after passing the SBCCI the first time through.  The Houston test was a good test and I really thought I passed it.    I have never worked in Houston except just some  service calls  on concrete plants.

My life got busy and after learning that you needed to take the test 5 times over two and a half years, staying at the tip top of your game to pass and after being told by a Houston inspector that he " felt sure if I came to a few of the inspectors fish fry's that I could pass the test"  I decided that I did not need to waste time on it.

Passing the Houston master without paying for it is a great accomplishment on order with a MBA

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#46]
My grandfather did.  He worked for Army Corps of Engineers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I took several Masters test in various cities but when the SBCCI had about 6 cities I decided that I needed to take it.  Thinking that one day it would be the state test.

I took the Houston Master in 93 right after passing the SBCCI the first time through.  The Houston test was a good test and I really thought I passed it.    I have never worked in Houston except just some  service calls  on concrete plants.

My life got busy and after learning that you needed to take the test 5 times over two and a half years, staying at the tip top of your game to pass and after being told by a Houston inspector that he " felt sure if I came to a few of the inspectors fish fry's that I could pass the test"  I decided that I did not need to waste time on it.

Passing the Houston master without paying for it is a great accomplishment on order with a MBA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably meant you were qualified but he wanted grease on the palm
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had enough time in that I could have been grandfathered in as a master.

But I am not one that cheats the system, kept my journeyman card. I do have 2 masters that work under me though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Add me to the list. E0002761.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad is, he's got an account on here...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top