Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The trick to the trade is get into some part of it that scares most electricians.   Learn it, know it and be at the top of the heap..you can write your own ticket.

And I'm not talking about putting a 4 way switch in either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add me to the list. E0002761.
View Quote
Eight
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My dad is, he's got an account on here...
View Quote
Nine
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The trick to the trade is get into some part of it that scares most electricians.   Learn it, know it and be at the top of the heap..you can write your own ticket.

View Quote
If you are not scared you are not all there

Any more licensed master electricians?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Cobra, if you need a 50 lemme know. I light my smokes with a 50.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
The reason I posted this is some guy from Maryland  a licensed electrician was shot by plainclothes cops when he allegedly pulled a gun

Link
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The reason I posted this is some guy from Maryland  a licensed electrician was shot by plainclothes cops when he allegedly pulled a gun

Link
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Now I see.....my sparky packing a hi point and a bottle....

A friend who refused to identify himself said he doubts the cops’ story that Tillman was carrying the gun and instead suspects that the police shot him in the back as he was running away.

“He was trying to run away, and he had his back turned,” insisted the pal, who didn’t witness the shooting. “He didn’t have no gun on him. What he did was run.”
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Not many places around hear call it a masters license anymore since local licensing was taken over by the states.

GA unrestricted electrical contractors license
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Helicopter power line repair?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ceiling fan installer. That shit is serious.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a high ceiling...operator type stuff.

I got into the nat gas field. Measurement, controls, SCADA .  And lots of liquid transfer/pumping with large 480/5kv motors and controllers.  Worked in a great field, made a pile or 2 of $$ and had a great time.

Eta...I saw more wildlife than people most days.  Good times in western CO

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Comm and LV here. I cant find guys to hire(at least that are worth anything).

Ive got 2 good full timers and a part timer along with myself running all over keeping things covered
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Add one more please. I have mine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
No such thing as a "master" electrician in MO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ks is one of those states. When I lived in texas it was 10 or 12000 hours to get one.

I'm a wannabe.

I know a lot of electrical and could pass the test in a state that has one. Ironically, I have a plumbers license and a hvac/r license in texas and I don't know shit about either one of those but I worked under a license holder where I haven't as an electrician.

We do heavy ag work so no code inspections, nothing. I can go install a 4000 amp mcc or a 500 horse motor, no biggie. Some of my jobs have a lot of electrical, we might run 40,000 or 60,000 feet of underground conduit. No license.

I've always wanted an electrical license. I had a guy that that was going to let me qualify under his in texas but he had a sudden stroke and died.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I should be a master in 5 years

Hopefully... my journeyman is a dick
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
They call it a masters test in some of the local townships, so I guess that makes me a master electrician.  However, PA has no "official" master licensing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a County ME license. Took the Mike Holt course to pass the exam. Damn delta delta, delta wye shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#20]
30+ years, still love it, 5 to go.

ETA: master for 22, non union.....

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I took my City of Dallas Masters Test in 94 and passed and took the SBCCI in 96 and passed and was grandfathered in when they went to a license. I still maintain it even though I do not work in the trade anymore. So count me in being a Master.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Around here the union guys don't make shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Add one more please. I have mine.
View Quote
Ten
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can anyone pull a permit for serious electrical work?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eleven
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were dependent on facility power for our machinery, we were not electricians technically but we did plenty electrical work. We would have power distribution, downline breaker panels, conduits with code, right up to our equipment ready to install. In NYC we could only buy electrical supplies from union shiops
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#27]

You can ad me. I finally sat for the Washington masters last fall. First year apprenticed in 1980
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You can ad me. I finally sat for the Washington masters last fall. First year apprenticed in 1980
View Quote
Twelve
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to become an electrician, but at the moment I cannot find an electrician apprentice job that will let me keep my pickup and pay off debt. So I'll continue being a truck driver in the oilfield until then.

Hopefully when I get it paid off at 36 I wont be too old to be an apprentice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here there is no inspection, permit or license in most places I work. Only municipalities have those, and many towns don't even do that.
I have pulled two permits this year. That town has no licensing.

I have been doing electrical for 26 years. Take that however you want.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here there is no inspection, permit or license in most places I work. Only municipalities have those, and many towns don't even do that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately in places like NYC there is an electrical code, do you go by the code and have people that violated a code then have issues like fires?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most local municipalities require that a contractor have a license.  Which simply means one person at a shop holds the license.  There is no state wide standard and the requirements vary GREATLY among the hundreds of jurisdictions.  Areas like St. Louis and Kansas City have stringent standards while the middle of the state might not require much at all.  St. Louis County won't even recognize most outstate licenses.  In some of those jurisdictions, you don't even need to have electrical experience to take the test.   if you want to call that being a "master", okay but that is laughable at best.  

I have over twenty years in  commercial and industrial.  High voltage, low voltage, fiber etc.  I have worked power houses, car plants, aero space, pharmaceutical, healthcare and have hade a workforce of thirty plus electricians working under me.  I have no need or desire to take a code test for the purpose of being able to pull a permit and have even less desire to become an electrical contractor.  Holding a license wouldn't pay me a dime more or be beneficial for me UNLESS I wanted to open a shop.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Most local municipalities require that a contractor have a license.  Which simply means one person at a shop holds the license.  There is no state wide standard and the requirements vary GREATLY among the hundreds of jurisdictions.  Areas like St. Louis and Kansas City have stringent standards while the middle of the state might not require much at all.  St. Louis County won't even recognize most outstate licenses.  In some of those jurisdictions, you don't even need to have electrical experience to take the test.   if you want to call that being a "master", okay but that is laughable at best.  

I have over twenty years in  commercial and industrial.  High voltage, low voltage, fiber etc.  I have worked power houses, car plants, aero space, pharmaceutical, healthcare and have hade a workforce of thirty plus electricians working under me.  I have no need or desire to take a code test for the purpose of being able to pull a permit and have even less desire to become an electrical contractor.  Holding a license wouldn't pay me a dime more or be beneficial for me UNLESS I wanted to open a shop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you say code test? What's that?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Here they call it a supervising electrical license. I've had mine since 1986.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Master Electrician
State Electrical Contractor

Add one
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here they call it a supervising electrical license. I've had mine since 1986.
View Quote

Thirteen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Master Electrician
State Electrical Contractor

Add one
View Quote
Fourteen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#38]
been doing electrical work for 16 years... got my unlimited card 7 years ago.... moved on to electronics and my card sits waiting for the day I decide to retire and work 2-3 days a week....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?   The license test is simply an in depth test of your knowledge of the NEC and your ability to perform calculations as required to ensure code compliance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I should be a master in 5 years

Hopefully... my journeyman is a dick
View Quote

That's because you are a lowly apprentice.
Also his Journeyman was a dick when he was a lowly apprentice.

Aside from the joking on the matter most Journeymen treat their apprentices alright.
At least that's been my experience.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Master electrical state of VA since 2002.

Industrial power, controls, and instrumentation construction.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Master electrical state of VA since 2002.

Industrial power, controls, and instrumentation construction.
View Quote
Fifteen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#43]
ME since completing registered apprenticeship in 2002.  KY licenses Masters, Electricians, and Contractors.

Taking my Contractors test later this year.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Master for 35 years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Took my first masters test around 82 when I got out of college, finally took the SBCCI test the same time my brother did and passed it.  Then grandfathered in when the state took over the licensing. Mostly do bids and estimates, ordering material, pulling permits, financial and tax matters.  Basically,not in the field much but end up there when there are emergencies or a shortage of employees. We are not a big contractor but we do a variety of work.

Employees are the headache of the trade, they can be your strength and weakness, and there are not many that want to really learn the trade.  Been working in the trade since 74.  Seen a variety of work, grunting for linemen in the oilfield constructing and repairing overhead primary, wiring houses in the early days.  Water plants, sewer plants,grain driers, cotton seed plants, aggregate plants, concrete plants, cotton gins, lift stations, parking lot lighting, commercial construction, school work, municipal buildings, lot of oil field work and even a little hospital work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck ceiling fans, especially the ceiling hugger installs. Fuck them right up the ass with a rusty pike.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ME since completing registered apprenticeship in 2002.  KY licenses Masters, Electricians, and Contractors.

Taking my Contractors test later this year.

View Quote
Sixteen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Master for 35 years.
View Quote

Seventeen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Took my first masters test around 82 when I got out of college, finally took the SBCCI test the same time my brother did and passed it.  Then grandfathered in when the state took over the licensing. Mostly do bids and estimates, ordering material, pulling permits, financial and tax matters.  Basically,not in the field much but end up there when there are emergencies or a shortage of employees. We are not a big contractor but we do a variety of work.

Employees are the headache of the trade, they can be your strength and weakness, and there are not many that want to really learn the trade.  Been working in the trade since 74.  Seen a variety of work, grunting for linemen in the oilfield constructing and repairing overhead primary, wiring houses in the early days.  Water plants, sewer plants,grain driers, cotton seed plants, aggregate plants, concrete plants, cotton gins, lift stations, parking lot lighting, commercial construction, school work, municipal buildings, lot of oil field work and even a little hospital work.
View Quote
Eighteen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#50]
So far lots of guys here, almost $10million, in my opinion
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top