Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2010 6:15:23 PM EDT
Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my work close (Dockers and a Polo shirt). Is that still acceptable?
I'm going for a good reason, so I don't need to bring any stripped cloths with me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Impressing a jury?

Suit

Not getting the judge to kick you out?

No shorts ,sandals ,shirts with writing on them or hats
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck the Police Shirt.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
A suit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my work close (Dockers and a Polo shirt). Is that still acceptable?

I'm going for a good reason, so I don't need to bring any stripped cloths with me.

are you gonna make a ghillie suit?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Dress slacks, dress shirt and tie, nice shoes at an absolute minimum.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Wear a suit.

It is important
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Assless chaps.  The Judge is going to fuck someone, 50/50 chance it's you and you don't want to tear your nice slacks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Dress what looks best when you leave the court house with a coat over your handcuffs.

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That sounds Ok..During the Summer on Off Days, that's how I go to court to testify.  As long as you're at least Neat and wearing clothes that arent screaming "Shithead/WhiteTrash/Corner Runner" you should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
polo and slacks would be fine

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Dress like an assistant district attorney. Ask them where they buy their clothes, and I'm sure they will tell you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Jurer? Wear whatever you want.

Witness. depends on your goal.

Defendant? Get a hair cut, shave & wear a suit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Even serial killers wear suits, I advise you too as well (not that you're a serial killer)
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Wear a suit and the defense attorney is more likely to keep you off the jury

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Always dress in a manner that shows respect for the judge and the court system.   Even if you're a spectator, dress nicely.

Clean jeans and a golf shirt would be the absolute minimum,  I think. (For men.)   No t-shirts, ever.

If you're going to actually appear before a judge,  I would recommend a suit.

The last time I needed to appear before a judge,  I wore my best suit.  When I got called up,  I walked up to the podium

and the judge asked me if I was representing Mr. Johnson.  I replied,  "Your honor, I AM Mr. Johnson."    That got a smile

from the judge.  He approved of my mode of dress.    I was dressed as well as any attorney present.    My issue that I was

there for was dismissed without discussion.  

Dress to impress the judge.  You literally can NOT go wrong by doing this.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my   work close  

(Dockers and a Polo shirt). Is that still acceptable?

I'm going for a good reason, so I don't need to bring any   stripped cloths     with me.

Whatever 'work close' is, don't wear it.  
Never bring 'stripped cloths' to court...

GEEZ, LOUISE!
Can't people spell anymore?!

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's work clothes. Anyway, Dockers and a Polo shirt are fine.

I would suggest cut-off denim shorts, high-heels and a halter top just to make the judge and everyone else feel uncomfortable around you. Preface your introductory statement make with, "I'm sorry I couldn't have come in my suit. My luggage got lost at the airport and this is all that I had to wear."
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
"Stop Snitching" T-Shirt.  Judges love that, especially loitering around the courtroom entrance with an intimidating glare.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my   work close  

I'm going for a good reason, so I don't need to bring any   stripped cloths     with me.

GEEZ, LOUISE!

No their iliterit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Dress like you are going to the funeral of a family friend. to

I once had a client who was a witness in drug trial (former GF of a dealer). I was appointed to represent her since she was mildly involved in the drug crime. The AUSA told her the same advice I just gave. She showed up in a short, sleeveless dress. Looked like she was going out to a club. She had a body that looked pretty good in that dress (it was clear she was super-hot when she was younger, but she had a few miles on her). Apparently money was tight so she wanted a dress she could use more than once.

When the AUSA came out of the courtroom to have her come in, his eyes bugged out. I think he was hopping for something a little more conservative.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Suit and tie or

orange jumpsuit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Play it safe, wear a tux.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
It depends on the court and your function therein.

When I was a municipal cop, a polo shirt, starched/pressed 5.11's, and polished boots were acceptable in municipal court and justice court. When I had to attend Circuit Court (for appeals and felonies), a suit and tie was appropriate.

If you have a question as to dress standards, call the court ahead of time and ask.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I once had a client who was a witness in drug trial (former GF of a dealer). I was appointed to represent her since she was mildly involved in the drug crime. The AUSA told her the same advice I just gave. She showed up in a short, sleeveless dress. Looked like she was going out to a club. She had a body that looked pretty good in that dress (it was clear she was super-hot when she was younger, but she had a few miles on her). Apparently money was tight so she wanted a dress she could use more than once.

When the AUSA came out of the courtroom to have her come in, his eyes bugged out. I think he was hopping for something a little more conservative.

You  a FPD type?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Some guys wear the uniform, but I prefer a suit & tie.
As for what defendants wear to court...
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#30]
18th century knee breeches, a mesh shirt, a bow tie, tap shoes, and a full-face motorcycle helmet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you're going to actually appear before a judge,  I would recommend a suit.

Dress to impress the judge.  You literally can NOT go wrong by doing this.

CJ

Even if you are just meeting with an attorney, at court wear a suit.  A suit says much about you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]
When I went for my speeding ticket, I showed up in khakis and a nice button-down.  The ticketing officer showed up in jeans and a t-shirt.....

When I went for my accident last summer, I showed up in a shirt and tie.  I was the only one in the courtroom (aside from some people in orange jumpsuits) not wearing shorts.....

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#33]
You want to look like a an upstanding citizen that has respect for the judicial process. Coat and tie, clean shave, neatly trimmed facial hair. Fresh haircut, polished shoes, no exposed ink or piercings. You get one chance to make a first impression. Don't blow it. Look and act like someone that the judge might socialize with.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Assless chaps.

If you had a pair of chaps with an ass, they'd just be fucking pants

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Prison clothes? j/k

I would wear a minimum coat & tie, slacks, & dress shoes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Suit up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Every time i've gone, i've been in a suit and tie.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When I went for my speeding ticket, I showed up in khakis and a nice button-down.  The ticketing officer showed up in jeans and a t-shirt.....

When I went for my accident last summer, I showed up in a shirt and tie.  I was the only one in the courtroom (aside from some people in orange jumpsuits) not wearing shorts.....  

Let us analyze that shall we?  You wore a shirt and tie.  Everyone else except the jumpsuit folks were wearing shorts.  From this information is is clear that you did not wear shorts or pants of any kind.

So was it a skirt, or were you just bare assed?
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice suit
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let us analyze that shall we?  You wore a shirt and tie.  Everyone else except the jumpsuit folks were wearing shorts.  From this information is is clear that you did not wear shorts or pants of any kind.

So was it a skirt, or were you just bare assed?

Skirt

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you honestly asking?

A white suit with bell bottoms and a gold chain. Anything less and you're a smuck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No know their iliterit.

fixed it for you

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You  a FPD type?

No. In my younger days, I worked for another attorney in a general practice. He would take anything that walked through the door. He signed both of us up on the court appointed defense list (NH did not have a FPD at the time). A couple times a year I would get appointed to handle some federal criminal matter. Usually very small client which US Attorney had overwhelming evidence against. My clients always plead guilty after they saw the evidence against them. I learned a great deal about sentencing guidelines.

I stopped doing any criminal work over ten years ago. I hated criminal clients since they whined to much. (Waa Waa Waa why do I have to go to jail).

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my work close

GEEZ, LOUISE!

No their iliterit.

The dumming down of America.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The dumming down of America.

Could you possibly mean dumbing (with a "b")? Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Jurer? Wear whatever you want.

Witness. depends on your goal.

Defendant? Get a hair cut, shave & wear a suit.

This.I was called  to be a witness in a lawsuit between neighbors.It was an impressively stupid and ignorant waste of time so I felt like a clown in a circus.As such, I wore: a very nice dress shirt in a  green and brown polka dot pattern, a bright orange silk tie,brown wool dress pants and orange suede Pumas with green "kiss me I'm Irish" socks.

I would never,ever,ever wear such a goawdawful getup for a traffic appearance but sometimes,you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

And naked is the way to go

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Traffic court- Bus casual

District court (non traffic)- professional

District court trial or Federal court- suit

These are minimums.

Suits are always appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#49]
The Arf-judge has told me he doesn't mind folks coming in in their work clothes at all, especially if they're taking two hours off of their AC repair route to run in for their court appointment.  But he's thrown people out for disrespectful clothing (skanky dress, F*** the po-lice shirts, etc.).  I would wear the nicest thing I had, whether that was a clean polo and jeans or a suit & tie.

But for some reason I suspect that a tuxedo would be out of place.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#50]
When i got hit for 118 in a 55 i showed up in a suit and tie. Everyone else there had cut offs etc and asked me if I was an attorney or why was I dressed that way. As i sat there waiting for my case this hardass judge was handing out days in jail like he made it up. I was stressed to say the least. When my case came up it was yes your honor, no your honor. Yes sir no sir. I walked with a mild fine and my license. The judge even stated to the remaining people in there that i should be an example to them of how to dress and act and even thanked me for respecting his court. Ymmv
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top