BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my work close (Dockers and a Polo shirt). Is that still acceptable?

I'm going for a good reason, so I don't need to bring any stripped cloths with me.

I just so happened to have spent some time with a good friend yesterday, a judge.  We happened to talk about the degraded state of our society and he said that whenever a defendant comes before him in a suit, which is rare, he gives the guy every break possible.  Just one judge's opinion, but why roll the dice?

Show respect for the court, and maybe the court will show some respect for you.  If you don't have one, spend the money for a good, conservative suit, and make sure it fits right.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last time I went was for work years ago, and I was just wearing my work close (Dockers and a Polo shirt). Is that still acceptable?

I'm going for a good reason, so I don't need to bring any stripped cloths with me.

I just so happened to have spent some time with a good friend yesterday, a judge.  We happened to talk about the degraded state of our society and he said that whenever a defendant comes before him in a suit, which is rare, he gives the guy every break possible.  Just one judge's opinion, but why roll the dice?

Show respect for the court, and maybe the court will show some respect for you.  If you don't have one, spend the money for a good, conservative suit, and make sure it fits right.

I would agree...I'd treat it as a Job Interview(***).   You want to be more believable than the last guy...and present a better image than the guy testifying against you.   Show the court that you have respect for it and you'll get respect back (especially if you stand out from the other cases that day).    

***...of course, I've seen lots of people show up for a Job Interview dressed inappropriately too..

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]

"Are you mocking me with that outfit?"

Great movie.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Business attire

[/thread]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dress like you are going to the funeral of a family friend. to

I once had a client who was a witness in drug trial (former GF of a dealer). I was appointed to represent her since she was mildly involved in the drug crime. The AUSA told her the same advice I just gave. She showed up in a short, sleeveless dress. Looked like she was going out to a club. She had a body that looked pretty good in that dress (it was clear she was super-hot when she was younger, but she had a few miles on her). Apparently money was tight so she wanted a dress she could use more than once.

When the AUSA came out of the courtroom to have her come in, his eyes bugged out. I think he was hopping for something a little more conservative.

Women jurers are judgmental about the clothing that women witnesses wear. The wrong outfit can make them completely ignore everything you said./ Which is good or bad depending on your goal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some guys wear the uniform, but I prefer a suit & tie.

You can never go wrong with going in uniform.

Show up with an ugly tie and some of the jurers think you are an idiot. Show up in uniform and even the biggest clothes fag on the jury just thinks "he had to wear that"
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Arf-judge has told me he doesn't mind folks coming in in their work clothes at all, especially if they're taking two hours off of their AC repair route to run in for their court appointment.  But he's thrown people out for disrespectful clothing (skanky dress, F*** the po-lice shirts, etc.).  I would wear the nicest thing I had, whether that was a clean polo and jeans or a suit & tie.

But for some reason I suspect that a tuxedo would be out of place.

I heard he prefers red speedos with plastic devil horns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go in there with a "Fuck the Police" t-shirt from NWA  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top