Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 11/12/2012 2:14:58 PM EDT
Shit just got real Nov 6th.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/hostess-brands-permanently-closing-3-bakeries-following-employee-strike/2012/11/12/90058faa-2d10-11e2-b631-2aad9d9c73ac_story.html

Hostess Brands Inc. is permanently closing three bakeries following a nationwide strike by its bakers union.

The maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread said Monday that the strike has prevented it from producing and delivering products, and it is closing bakeries in Seattle, St. Louis and Cincinnati. The facilities employ 627 workers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
So when does the DoJ file suit or the FBI dig up some dirt in the CEO?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You are aware Hostess is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, right?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for them. Now they will be boycotted into submission because the left believes in boycotts (because they are effective) whereas we on the right are above such silliness.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Good. You can't let them win every time they go on strike.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost feel sad for how pathetically retarded union members are.   Almost...

Sheep voting for slaughter.  

Well, probably most of them are okay with this cause now they can sit on the couch for 99 weeks and collect Unemployment.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Good for them. Now they will be boycotted into submission because the left believes in boycotts (because they are effective) whereas we on the right are above such silliness.

I don't think there is anything to boycott bud.

The CEO is taking his toys and going home. There is a pretty big thread about this here already.

ETA: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1369361_Hostess_CEO_will_shut_down_the_company_and_sell_Twinkie_name_if_union_votes_against_them.html
Speed

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I am buying Twinkies tomorrow

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Me too, adding some to my preps. They have a shelf life of like 25 years I hear.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Hostess has been circling the drain for a while.  Those plants would have closed no matter what.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hostess has been circling the drain for a while.  Those plants would have closed no matter what.

What union do you belong to?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Rule #32
Enjoy the little things.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

panic buy time now!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Shit just got real Nov 6th.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/hostess-brands-permanently-closing-3-bakeries-following-employee-strike/2012/11/12/90058faa-2d10-11e2-b631-2aad9d9c73ac_story.html

Hostess Brands Inc. is permanently closing three bakeries following a nationwide strike by its bakers union.

The maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread said Monday that the strike has prevented it from producing and delivering products, and it is closing bakeries in Seattle, St. Louis and Cincinnati. The facilities employ 627 workers.
And 15 years from now, when they can only find work cleaning toilets for $8/hr, those same union workers will fist pump and revel how they "stuck it to the man".

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm going to go buy a couple loaves of bread and a box of ding-dongs to show my support of this decision.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Bakery workers going on strike during the worst recession ever?  Ho Ho, makes me laugh.  What a bunch a Ding Dongs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rule #32
Enjoy the little things.

I think someone is going to be angry that there aren't anymore twinkies!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Somebody tell these union guys that striking isn't the way you get the wages and benefits you want. In the real world, you either prove to your employer you're a valuable asset through the quality of your work and negotiate your wage/benefits or you (attempt to) find somebody that will pay you based on what you think your skills are worth. Holding a company hostage is downright ludicrous. I'd close the whole company down to spite these bastards if there was some absurd state law to keep me from firing all of them.

Good luck finding a job and telling them why you're looking for work. "Uhhh we didn't want to work because we wanted more money so they closed the plant."
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, adding some to my preps. They have a shelf life of like 25 years I hear.

I'm in for a case.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Peak Twinkies!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Somebody tell these union guys that striking isn't the way you get the wages and benefits you want. In the real world, you either prove to your employer you're a valuable asset through the quality of your work and negotiate your wage/benefits or you (attempt to) find somebody that will pay you based on what you think your skills are worth. Holding a company hostage is downright ludicrous. I'd close the whole company down to spite these bastards if there was some absurd state law to keep me from firing all of them.

Good luck finding a job and telling them why you're looking for work. "Uhhh we didn't want to work because we wanted more money so they closed the plant."

Problem is no one else makes Twinkies.  Assume you're a Twinkie addict, where do you go?  You'd lose your discount on Twinkies.  I could easily see someone being unable to move on from the allure of Twinkies and thus stand their ground.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
"We deeply regret this decision, but we have repeatedly explained that
we will close facilities that are no longer able to produce and deliver
products because of a work stoppage — and that we will close the entire
company if widespread strikes cripple our business,” Hostess Brands CEO
Gregory F. Rayburn said.
Give em hell Mr. Rayburn.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Hostess never had a Snoballs chance in hell.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bingo, freeze them, and  once a year pull out the package, remember how good they were, put them back, and for the next 364 days hate everyone associated with that company's failure.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]
dont worry... it will be "CEO makes millions and closes plant on poor, poor slave-labor employess toil on the line to make ends meet"
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to go buy a couple loaves of bread and a box of ding-dongs to show my support of this decision.

I actually might do so also, and that's the last shit I want to eat.

I'll find some fat kids to give it to.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They're going to figure it out, with a quickness. You can't really blame them, though.. yeah, they pushed the game too far, but for the past 50 years or so, for the most part, the game has worked out in the unions' favor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're going to figure it out, with a quickness. You can't really blame them, though.. yeah, they pushed the game too far, but for the past 50 years or so, for the most part, the game has worked out in the unions' favor.

Wrong, it has worked out for the union LEADERSHIP.

Im pretty sure the union people have gotten the shaft most of the time. And deservedly so. Morons.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Edit: Any word if they'll relocate these bakeries to Right-to-Work states?

VA could use the jobs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Fucking Peak Twinkies
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im pretty sure the union people have gotten the shaft most of the time. And deservedly so. Morons.

I would contest that, given their wages, benefits, and declining level of effort required to get them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So what did the union and the employees do to preserve their jobs.......a BIG FAT NOTHING.

Did they offer to take a pay cut?
Did they offer to take a week's vacation instead of 2-3 weeks?
Did the union offer to suspend the mandatory dues?
Did union officials offer to pitch in on the loading dock?
Did employees offer to work thru their mandatory breaks?
Did the employees offer to accept a suspension of the mandatory matching in the union-managed 401K ?

Nope. Instead, they quit work to stand outside and protest about their jobs........well, now they won't have to.

Good plan Morons.  Why don't you go and see if that shitty union has any employment application forms.  I'm sure they're gonna take real good care of you now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Does Bimbo use Union labor? I bet the plants reopen under their ownership.  

Yes. I have a friend who wraps loafs of bread for $20 a hour. The company she works for was originally another company before being bought by Bimbo.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
So what will we eat during the zombie uprising?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would contest that, given their wages, benefits, and declining level of effort required to get them.

Thats only until the company shuts the doors.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Does Bimbo use Union labor? I bet the plants reopen under their ownership.  

They already own everything else!

Them Thomas' toaster cakes suck now.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#41]
As long as the Dolly Varden Red zingers are still here I don't care!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thats only until the company shuts the doors.

Without a doubt.. it's the very definition of a Pyrrhic victory.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bakery workers going on strike during the worst recession ever?  Ho Ho, makes me laugh.  What a bunch a Ding Dongs.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd better go panic buy my Twinkies.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Lol... I just bought two boxes of Twinkies.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What you did there....

I see it!

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Well shit.....there went my preps
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#50]
gives poverty pies a whole new meaning...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top