Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You are aware Hostess is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, right?

Seems like a good time for a strike.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Kroger has Hostess products 10 for $10....looks like I am stocking up.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats only until the company shuts the doors.

Without a doubt.. it's the very definition of a Pyrrhic victory.

Not really, those brand names will make the owner enough to retire in style.  Someone will buy them and add to the Saturday run at their own factory.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I need to stock up on zingers
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
God dam I sold my Bimbo route a couple years ago and Bimbo always wanted to buy the hostess brand.
If I would of waited and if Bimbo does pick up hostess brand I could of gotten $50,000-$75,000 more for my route.

But thats cool the guy that bought my route can pick up some quick equity if this is the case
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It would be funny to see the video of the union members protesting in front of their factory, and someone walks up tells them the factory is closed for good.

Wonder what their reaction was.   "wait, what?"

I mean what do they do, put down their picket signs or just keep going?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
One word, Tastykake

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a very pro union guy..his take on this....................the rich are just fucking the poor working people!!

Guess the unions should get a brain and not walk away from good paying jobs!!!

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One word, Tastykake  

Yup...
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]

"NO, YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY TWINKIES"
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It would be funny to see the video of the union members protesting in front of their factory, and someone walks up tells them the factory is closed for good.

Wonder what their reaction was.   "wait, what?"

I mean what do they do, put down their picket signs or just keep going?

My dad's retired now, and his old jewish boss (God/Yahweh bless that crotchety old bastard's soul) long dead, but I remember a lovely story of him from back in the 70's.  Apparently, he owned a relatively small print shop - maybe 15-20 employees total.  There were about 5 die-hard union supporters on the crew, and they threatened to unionize.  The old jewish bastard (yes he was mean to me, but I grew to appreciate the why's, especially when his wife chewed him a new asshole for being mean to his employee's son!) threatened right away - "Listen, I take care of you guys and I'm willing to talk about pay and benefits, but if you unionize, I'll close the shop down before I'm forced into something like that that's not good for me, my money or my business."  Well, the 5 or so guys basically strong-armed the others into unionizing, and true to his word, those 5 fucks made EVERYONE unemployed.  Old crusty nuts closed the shop down immediately, and everyone went looking for work.

The man was an asshole, but I loved him for that story.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The Haas family closed their bakery business in St. Louis a few years back because of the union.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Kraft or the like will buy the rights/recipies for Hostess and produce them. If I had the $$$, I would buy the rights and start production as it is a big money maker.

I would simply put the plant in a right to work state like the Asian automakers have. The jobs are most likely needed badly in those areas and they will work for reasonable wages. I think $15/hr+access to benefits is fair for that sort of work.

The Unions are pricing themselves out of the market, no question!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Honest question:

Striking is basically a mass resignation.

With regards to unemployment, didn't they QUIT, and are therefore ineligible for benefits?

I hope they get not 1 fucking penny.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I am going to piss off the unions folks.

You guys are stupid.

Fucking sheep.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am buying PREBANTwinkies tomorrow

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Fixed it for you!

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#19]
They be on strike here in Billings. And damn it's cold out!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Honest question:

Striking is basically a mass resignation.

With regards to unemployment, didn't they QUIT, and are therefore ineligible for benefits?

I hope they get not 1 fucking penny.

No, they're still employees, just without a contract.

ETA: the company is still bound to the terms of the expired contract. If they want to lay off strikers....they have to abide by layoff policies in the expired contract. The union will just refuse to comply.

Employee unions traditionally got their leverage because company execs didn't want to go out of business, especially publicly traded companies. You can't just tell the union to get lost and hire non-union.....once the union's in they're there for good. It's all or none, so unions typically had the upper hand.

It's a little different for trade unions. They have other forms of leverage.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Here ya go

Ingredients:

1/2 cup SR flour

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons milk

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 eggs

3/4 cup caster sugar

FILLING

3/4 cup caster sugar

1 tablespoon corn syrup

3 egg whites

pinch salt

ENJOY!

~ Nicko

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Just when all those states legalized marijuana...

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does Bimbo use Union labor? I bet the plants reopen under their ownership.

I know a couple guys who have worked at Mrs Bairds bakery in Fort Worth for many years. Bimbo bought them out...and are fucking with their retirement accounts. They tell me Bimbo is a fucking monster to work for.

Bimbo must mean something different in Spanish than it does in English.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hostess has been circling the drain for a while.  Those plants would have closed no matter what.

So what did the union and the employees do to preserve their jobs.......a BIG FAT NOTHING.

Did they offer to take a pay cut?
Did they offer to take a week's vacation instead of 2-3 weeks?
Did the union offer to suspend the mandatory dues?
Did union officials offer to pitch in on the loading dock?
Did employees offer to work thru their mandatory breaks?
Did the employees offer to accept a suspension of the mandatory matching in the union-managed 401K ?

Nope. Instead, they quit work to stand outside and protest about their jobs........well, now they won't have to.

Good plan Morons.  Why don't you go and see if that shitty union has any employment application forms.  I'm sure they're gonna take real good care of you now.

Na, let them eat cake!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Local news cut over in a breaking news segment. Striking employee when told of plant closing "us people have homes". Guy was crying, holding on to two buddies.  It's sad really, going to hurt the local economy on a small scale.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Bugger.

Gotta to buy a box of Twinkies just in case.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good for them. Now they will be boycotted into submission because the left believes in boycotts (because they are effective) whereas we on the right are above such silliness.

Dont that just chap your ass?  We're to good for boycotts??  What a fucking joke the right has become
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://www.banyanbranch.com/social-blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/haha1.gif

Edit: Any word if they'll relocate these bakeries to Right-to-Work states?

VA could use the jobs.

Im pretty sure the NLRB would jump in to stop them from doing that like they did to boeing
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Welcome to reality, union brothers!  

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Kraft or the like will buy the rights/recipies for Hostess and produce them. If I had the $$$, I would buy the rights and start production as it is a big money maker.

I would simply put the plant in a right to work state like the Asian automakers have. The jobs are most likely needed badly in those areas and they will work for reasonable wages. I think $15/hr+access to benefits is fair for that sort of work.

The Unions are pricing themselves out of the market, no question!

a fucking retard can make a twinkie since most of the work is automated
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here ya go
http://youtu.be/zGKsWrpsKtI

Ingredients:

1/2 cup SR flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar

FILLING
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
3 egg whites
pinch salt

ENJOY!

~ Nicko

Awsome
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Now I can eat Twinkies without guilt.

FBHO and his Union minions.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#34]
My symphathetic face.

No. Really.....quit laughing, dammit!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Just waiting on the .gov to pass a law like France to make it illegal to layoff workers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#36]
My FIL used to work at the Kaiser steel mill in Fontana, CA.  In the late '70s, the Japanese were killing us on cheap steel and Jimmy Carter's EPA was nailing the coffin shut.

The company built a new, efficient furnace to make high grade steel that was some of the best in the world.  It went online about '75.  Even so, profits were headed down faster than a Subic hookers skivs.

Management met with the union thugs and told them that they had to cut costs to become competitive again in the world market, and they had to lay out a ton of cash to clean up the mill and install new water, air and soil protection, cleaning systems for the EPA.  That meant pay and benny concessions.  The union told the suits to fuck off.  Not only were thay not going to take a cut, they wanted MORE!  Management told the employees that unless they agreed to cuts, the mill would close.  The mill had been there since WW II.  Many tens of thousands of men had toiled there.  Thousands still did in the '70s and the surrounding communities and businesses were all depending on the mill.  NOBODY really thought Kaiser would do it...but they did.  One day...notices went out and shortly thereafter, the mill shut down.  It was a real shock to the USW of A.

So...fast forward a couple of years.  The Chinese buy the new furnace and tin mill, break it all down, rail it to Long Beach and ship it to China where it is still making quality steel to this day.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Another victory for the Unions!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So what did the union and the employees do to preserve their jobs.......a BIG FAT NOTHING.

How do you know this.
Tell me, is the comnpany as willing to share in increased earnings when times are good as it is in asking for concessions in "hard times"?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#39]
obama will turn over ownership of Hostess to the Union.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Correct, but it sits in your colon for 25 years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know this.
Tell me, is the comnpany as willing to share in increased earnings when times are good as it is in asking for concessions in "hard times"?

Most do...either with hiring more workers, offering more hours for work, overtime, pay raises, stock dividends, offering better benefit plans, etc, etc.

That can't happen when your happy ass is sitting on a picket line instead of working a production line.

Pretty damn stupid to go from production line to picket line to standing in line at the local soup kitchen, when you didn't have to.

You'd think that something would'a clicked in their noggins when they saw that their strike pay wasn't gonna cover the house/car/kid's braces payment.

Now that $50/wk strike pay is gone since there's no more business to strike against.

....and the union locusts move on to the next victim.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
One word, Tastykake  

That is a damned good word. Twinkies are great, but most of the other stuff Hostess makes is done better by Little Debbie and other companies. Tastykake fruit pies are the best, Bluebird are damned good as well. Fruit Pies and Twinkies were the only products that I felt were truly superior to competitors imitations.

I have no worries though, Bimbo will buy the name and recipes and have the stuff back on the shelves at lower prices in no time.  

Little Debbie Swiss Rolls are awesome.  I'm sure someone will buy the Hostess stuff and keep making it - it's got a built-in audience in a country full of fat people.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Most do...either with hiring more workers, offering more hours for work, overtime, pay raises, stock dividends, offering better benefit plans, etc, etc.

That can't happen when your happy ass is sitting on a picket line instead of working a production line.

I'm asking about increasing pay for existing workers when times are good, not hiring new guys or forcing existing guys to work OT because the company isn't willing to gire new bodies.
How many of you blue collar guys have EVER had the company thats  asked for concessions come back in good times and give back what was taken away because times were "hard".....
How many companies have come back and offered better benefit plans? They're always looking for ways to CUT benefits.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:I know a couple guys who have worked at Mrs Bairds bakery in Fort Worth for many years.
Bimbo bought them out...and are fucking with their retirement accounts.
They tell me Bimbo is a fucking monster to work for.

I work "just slightly North" of that bakery.  
I hear similar things going on...

But it smells great when the apple pies and cinnamon rolls are cooking!  
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm asking about increasing pay for existing workers when times are good, not hiring new guys or forcing existing guys to work OT because the company isn't willing to gire new bodies.
How many of you blue collar guys have EVER had the company thats  asked for concessions come back in good times and give back what was taken away because times were "hard".....
How many companies have come back and offered better benefit plans? They're always looking for ways to CUT benefits.

nevamind

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many union reps have you seen allow a worker cross the picket line to go back to work cause she's got 3 mouths to feed at home and she needs that $19.50/hr job to buy baby formula, medicine, etc.
What is the social status of an individual branded as a "scab" by the union , during and after the strike is over.

Guess what, it don't matter now.  The company is gone. Everybody is out of a job ....well, except the union rep.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#49]
So let me guess, these people were on strike over "job security".

To the poster that commented about offsetting concessions from the union by the company when times are better, what about the collective bargaining agreement that guarantees a wage without any flexibility?  Aren't both parties bound by that?

By the way, I live in a right-to-work state and make more than my company counterparts in a union state.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Another victory for the Unions!

They'll learn 'em good this time.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top