Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2005 2:13:04 PM EDT
The G/F has become a bit of a gun nut in the last couple of years.  She has some govt training and owns a Glock-19 and a Sig p239.  She is in love with my Sig p220 and decided she had to have one of her own.  She was very excited and demanded I take her to the gunshow so she could buy one.  

We walked the whole floor of the Dulles Convention Center (doing the price comparison thing,) until she finds what she's looking for.  She decides on a NIB Sig P220 Stainless w/rails and 3 mags.  She releases me to go buy a Sig Mosquito and stays behind to do the paperwork to buy her new baby.

I buy the Mosquito and come back to find her, and man is she pissed!  She walked up to the vendor, pointed to the gun and informed him she wanted to buy it.  

Dealer  :   "Oh yeah, and what is that?"

GF:           "A SIG P220 stainless in .45ACP with rails and Hogue grip"

Dealer:     "Can you even rack the slide?"

GF:           "I can rack my boyfriends 220."

Dealer:     "Show me."  (makes her rack P220)  (She does it twice and hands it back.)

GF:           "Anything else?"

Dealer:     "What's that emblem on your shirt?"

GF:           "West Point."

Dealer:     "Oh."  (Goes off to get paperwork.)

We've been back and she still wants to go back and "kick him in the shins."  She said she's never been treated like that before.  I've never seen her so pissed.  Any of you ladies get treated like this at gun shops/shows?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Post pics of the emblem.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You let her rack your slide?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any of you ladies get treated like this at gun shops/shows?

Can't speak for gun shows...but car lots aren't really "girl friendly" places either.
Take her out for a nice dinner and tell her she really turned you on by owning that sad puny little boy's scrawny <censored>
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Deal or no deal, there's no way that SOB would get a dime from me!  I would go buy one from ANYONE else, then go back to his table to rack the slide on my new gun for him.

I hate condescending motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Deal or no deal, there's no way that SOB would get a dime from me!  I would go buy one from ANYONE else, then go back to his table to rack the slide on my new gun for him.

+1  well said!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
She should have leaned across the table and choked the shit out of him and asked him if he thought she could rack his pointy little head off his shoulders.

Seriously, what an asshole.  Why would you consider spenind money with a peice of shit like that?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
She didn't buy from him, didn't mention that.  She bought one at a different table.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No Shit kidding!

I was treated the same way at the gun show here, and I walked out with my money.

Edited
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I hate condescending motherfuckersweenie heads.

Sowwy.  Better?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I'm not surprised.

Some vendors are shocked that not all of us were dragged there by our boyfriends, or that we came just for the Beanie Babies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I think my eyes are bleeding from that one...

.....j/k
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
She should have yelled at him as loud as she could:

"Suck my dick!"

I love that line...

Ugh! I hated it! No offense...but no self respecting female in the military trying to get equal treatment would have said that. The writers soooo totally took a great concept in that movie and mukked it up badly...that and the "I'd go to war with you ANY day!" line made me wanna gag!

uh...um...now back to your regularly scheduled thread...........
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm not surprised.

Some vendors are shocked that not all of us were dragged there by our boyfriends, or that we came just for the Beanie Babies.

please...fortheloveofGodandallthat'sholy.....please tell me there are no beanie babies at gun shows!
I mean..please....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, Devil's advocate for a minute.

Man and woman  walk up to gunshow dealer's table. They look at a handgun.  Guy walks off. Woman starts initiating a purchase.

You think there's a possiblity that this looks like a strawman sale to the dealer? His questioning and scrutiny of the woman could be him trying to feel it out if she's actually interested in the firearm or if she's just buying it for the boyfriend.

I think this goes double if the pair in question are under 30.

There's a distinct possbility that the dealer may have been questioning your girlfriend for reasons other than just being a jerk.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
not a bad point, but when he says what is it, and she correctly id's it, the question should be over.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I went in by myself. I had just transferred 2000 into my atm/checking account, and was ready and able to buy whatever I wanted. Those guys didn't give me the time of day. I waited and waited and waited...and when they finally stopped shooting the shit with the guys at the table to notice me, they were rude and condescending. I just smiled my biggest "f-you" smile and left. Their loss. <shrug>

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Ya know...I find it's not just walking around with boobies that's a hindrance in the shopping world:
If I go to a rather upscale shopping center in Cranston in my leather and boots, they are all ready to hit the security watch cams. But, if I return another day in my business finest, saleswomen trip all over me...think that scene in "Pretty Woman" with Julia Roberts....yup....it's all in the appearance...

I think we should all dress like Daisy Duke and try to buy pick ups next....

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Man and woman  walk up to gunshow dealer's table. They look at a handgun.  Guy walks off. Woman starts initiating a purchase.

You think there's a possiblity that this looks like a strawman sale to the dealer? His questioning and scrutiny of the woman could be him trying to feel it out if she's actually interested in the firearm or if she's just buying it for the boyfriend.

I think this goes double if the pair in question are under 30.

There's a distinct possbility that the dealer may have been questioning your girlfriend for reasons other than just being a jerk.

I understand your point, but this crap happens to me when I go in by myself.  Pisses me off no end.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm not surprised.

please...fortheloveofGodandallthat'sholy.....please tell me there are no beanie babies at gun shows!
I mean..please....

It's almost a staple.  They sell like crazy for some reason and I can't figure out who the hell is buying them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's unfortunate, but it happens waaaay too much.  ElCamino, you make a good point, but TxLewis is right...as soon as she id'd the gun, the guy should've backed down.  If that had been me, I would've been pissed beyond words.  When I bought the Mr an HK P7 M8, the guys were very helpful and were not condescending in the least, much to my surprise.  Whenever I walk up to a table, though, I am prepared to be ignored.  Sad, but true.

P7M8????  

Yep, this one.  Don't make me smack you.

www.mydivadesigns.com/HK.jpg

Go ahead, I like a good smack down
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]
squeeze cocker?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
We've been back and she still wants to go back and "kick him in the shins."  She said she's never been treated like that before.  I've never seen her so pissed.  Any of you ladies get treated like this at gun shops/shows?

Was the dealers name something to the effect of 'Not-So-Bright' Sun? (w/orange and black banner?)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm agreeing 100% with PMM & MM!

There is NO EXCUSE for treating women any different from men if you are selling a product. We have one shop in Eastern MA (Four Seasons Firearms in Woburn www.fsguns.com) that has a superb reputation of treating all customers (or potential) customers equally and with respect. They earn the accolades on numerous forums, amongst shooters, etc. Many of us travel relatively long distances to leave our money there and for good reason!

If I were this woman, I would probably have racked the slide as demanded, then handed it back to him and tell him to stuff it where the sun don't shine, call him a male chauvinist pig and then tell him that "I'll take my money elsewhere" and leave!

PMM, I don't recall ever seeing beanie babies at MA gun shows. But I have seen some rather strange stuff. My first reaction to a NY dealer at Springfield with very small plastic bags for sale was  . . . "where is the drug dealer?" I swear that his display reminded me of someone selling "paraphernalia" for drug dealers!

BTW, the P7M8 is a real nice gun. Just gets brutally hot after firing a few mags.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ya know...I find it's not just walking around with boobies that's a hindrance in the shopping world:
If I go to a rather upscale shopping center in Cranston in my leather and boots, they are all ready to hit the security watch cams. But, if I return another day in my business finest, saleswomen trip all over me...think that scene in "Pretty Woman" with Julia Roberts....yup....it's all in the appearance...

This post is just screaming for "This thread is worthless without pics".

EDIT--Oh yeah, I don't think the guy was checking for straw purchase, I think he was just wrong for treating her that way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like the dealer was a male pigg.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Let me guess - the dealer was dark sun?  That is usually how that a_ _ hole  treats females .
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean..please....

It's almost a staple.  They sell like crazy for some reason and I can't figure out who the hell is buying them.

My mom...  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Certainly the 'chauvanist pig' is possible, but could he also have been 'testing' to see whether she was really buying the gun for herself, or whether it was a dreaded "straw purchase"?

I'm not excusing the guy, I'm just remembering all of the tales of the girlfriend who comes in to buy a gun that is really for the boyfriend...

Jim
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Certainly the 'chauvanist pig' is possible, but could he also have been 'testing' to see whether she was really buying the gun for herself, or whether it was a dreaded "straw purchase"?

I'm not excusing the guy, I'm just remembering all of the tales of the girlfriend who comes in to buy a gun that is really for the boyfriend...

Jim

My thoughts as well.

Of course, for those of you that replied that you get treated like that on your own, THOSE cases are just some guy being a jerk.  My "devil's advocate" theory rests on the description of the circumstances as outlined by the original poster in this case.

Obviously, 90% of people are stupid, so it follows that 90% of men are also stupid, as well as 90% of gun dealers.  So that could definitely be the situation as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#40]
sounds like a good way to make money and impress people..
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean..please....

My mom...  

Mystery solved...now tell mom to STOP...those things are evil...No I am not kidding...Hollywood's making a horror flick about them...they've called in "Chucky's Demise"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:07:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This post is just screaming for "This thread is worthless without pics".

EDIT--Oh yeah, I don't think the guy was checking for straw purchase, I think he was just wrong for treating her that way.

Daisy Duke!!! <snarf>
hehehehehehe
Nope...I mean leather biker jacket and work boots...

But I can see how that could be misinterpreted...sorry to have disappointed though...

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#43]
All I can say is that Im happy for you G/F that shes knowlegable on the subject.  Nothing emasculates an asshole gun dealer or car mechanic more then having their buisness told to them by a knowledgable female.  Personally I would have walked away from the purchase considering the ignorance of the asshole in question.  Now dont get me wrong he asked 1 good question.  Was she able to rack the slide.  Thats a viable question.  Shows concern for the purchasers ability to operate the gun  in a safe manner.  Beyond that he shouldve just STFU and did the paperwork.  I love it when ASSHOLES give the rest of us a negative image.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

GF:           "Anything else?"

Dealer:     "What's that emblem on your shirt?"

GF:           "West Point."

Dealer:     "Oh."  (Goes off to get paperwork.)

Hey Quien what's up man?

That last exchange was priceless!!

I'd love to have seen the look on the dealer's face about half a second after she said "West Point."

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Dude,
    I know it was the DS guys.  I bought that exact pistol, the SIG 220 Stainless with the rail from them on Saturday.  They were $200 cheaper than anyone else at the show.  I know it sucks, but I can deal with a little BS for $200.  That still doesn't excuse the way he treated her.  I wonder if things would have been different if you had been there with her.   Do a little search on "dark sun" and see what you come up with.  I hope she enjoys her 220 as much as I plan to.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I just thought of something.  While I was waiting for my paperwork, the female employee there was showing another woman a Kahr.  The employee treated her with patience and respect.  Very surprising for dark sun.  The guy I dealt with, the one who doesn't have the long blonde ponytail, acted like he was doing me a favor selling me a pistol.  I guess it takes all kinds.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Jim

So by having her rack the slide thats going to tell him that it's not a straw purchace??? Not really. As a seller you have the right to refuse service to ayone for any reason. He could have just said nope not gunna sell it to you and left it at that, he was being a dick plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:53:01 AM EDT
[#49]
No way in hell that bastard would have gotten any money from me.
But I also find the same thing from the other side of the counter, men don't want to buy a gun from a female. All the men can be busy at the show, someone really wants to see something, ask a question and I'll offer to help. Only to get a reply of "I'll wait for one of the guys." So now I am stuck doing 4473 NICS check  forms instead and I HATE doing them!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#50]
My wife would have told that sumbitch just where to get off and how many times! Her money would have gone anywhere else but him and to top it all off, noone would ever talk to my wife like that.

This is another fine example of why "people suck!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top