Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2010 2:18:06 PM EDT
To all those who think a dog is "just an animal", property, etc...

http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_e62f6406-288a-11df-8f10-001cc4c03286.html

My wife was walking our akita last weekend and this POS walked-by. She said that our dog leaned right up against her and would not stop barking until he was gone. We walk her all the time and she's usually like a big, happy lab puppy with most people she meets. I guess this guy was nice and tried to talk nice to the wife, but Tika (the dog) wouldn't have any of it. Now we know why. (Just fed her a nice treat after we read this story.)

There's more to animal life than meets the eye, and why I don't treat any life as throw-away garbage (except for evil garbage like the POS in the story above).

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I tend to trust thier instincts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I tend to trust thier instincts.

For sure. But they must see or sense something. Dunno if it's an "aura" or they can smell it or what... but there's something there.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Akita's are the smartest animals in the K-9 world. Nothing would convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Akita's are the smartest animals in the K-9 world. Nothing would convince me otherwise.

She is pretty smart. We take her hiking on the trails and I let her run ahead of us. When she stops dead in her tracks and looks ahead I always pay attention. There are mountain lions that have been sighted where we walk a lot and I'm counting on her to help us avoid that conflict (or at least see it coming).

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
When your dog saves your loved one's life, they automatically get a cheezeburger.

Mine did.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I left the gate open this morning when I left and by the time my wife left our lab was in the front yard...my son put her in the backyard through the side fence and my wife watched her come out through the driveway gate...my wife opened the door on the car and the dog did an about face...opened the gate with her nose and sat right inside the gate.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Dogs are awesome. My two stopped a potential burglary of my residence..

See where the board is missing? Found it on the ground broken..
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
give him a rub on the belly from all of us......good boy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://i45.tinypic.com/34z0mra.jpg

LOL... love the sign. I've got one on my privacy fence in front and the 5-foot chainlink in back that says "Akita Security Company" and has a silohette of an akita. Between that and her very throaty bark, that will hopefully stop most perps as well.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
my dog also is fearless and brave....unless you shoot a gun

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... love the sign. I've got one on my privacy fence in front and the 5-foot chainlink in back that says "Akita Security Company" and has a silohette of an akita. Between that and her very throaty bark, that will hopefully stop most perps as well.

I've also got one in a front window that says my dog can make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds can you?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice dogie.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When your dog saves your loved one's life, they automatically get a cheezeburger.

Mine did.

My dog would spend the next three days shitting on the carpet if I fed him a cheeseburger....I'll stick to a handful of milk bones.  For as tough as they are, pits have pretty sensitive stomachs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
GOOD DOG!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Good action. They are right though on one thing here. You reward positive behavior and they will repeat it. I have a dobermann pup and he is getting more and more protrective. He's 16 months old and does not take lightly to people approaching the apartment or our backyard area quietly. Its all about reinforcement.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:40:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine did.

My dog would spend the next three days shitting on the carpet if I fed him a cheeseburger....I'll stick to a handful of milk bones.  For as tough as they are, pits have pretty sensitive stomachs.

I have never had any issues. Mine has eaten whole racks of ribs without missing a beat. Sure she will smell to high heaven for a couple days, but it doesn't seem to make her sick.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Dogs and man have an intrinsic bond developed over thousands of years. That's a gift that should never be ignored. They protect us, we protect them. It's a shame some people don't respect that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Good doggie!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Good dog.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Good looking dog you have there.

I used to have a 1/2 akita - 1/2 chow. She was one of the best dogs I've ever owned.

I'm guessing you know the story about the akita that stayed by his masters grave for years after he died? (someplace in asia?)

Gene
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/reddot223/yfy.jpg

hahah.  Is that a Bull Terrier?  If so, can you post some better pictures?  

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, always trust thier instincts.  My heeler hats the UPS guy & mother in law.

Both are assholes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Good dog.

I had an incident at my house the day I left for Haiti.

Me and the wife were at work, and my homeschooled 13 y.o. daughter was home alone.

Some dirtbag decided to dodge a police patrol through my backyard. My GSD/Rot mix and APBT mix were in the house with my daughter (who immediately called 911), but they convinced him that this was the wrong backyard.

Turns out the guy is wanted for a series of rapes in the Fayetteville area.

Obligatory pic:

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good dog.

I had an incident at my house the day I left for Haiti.

Me and the wife were at work, and my homeschooled 13 y.o. daughter was home alone.

Some dirtbag decided to dodge a police patrol through my backyard. My GSD/Rot mix and APBT mix were in the house with my daughter (who immediately called 911), but they convinced him that this was the wrong backyard.

Turns out the guy is wanted for a series of rapes in the Fayetteville area.

Obligatory pic:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/4thpoint/Dogs035.jpg

Good doggies!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:02:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'd have to add Border Collies to that list. However, the old lady's Shi Tzu is as dumb as a box of rocks.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful dog you have there!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a landscape bussiness and have gone thru alot of low life help in the last 25 years. My border collie is about 8 years old now, but when she turned around 3, certain guys that came thru the  gates she would growl and bark every time they showed up.

After having to fire some a nd bailing out some from jail , she truned out to be a better judge of character and first impression  than me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#28]
My Akita/Lab does that.  If she doesn't like someone she will sit very quietly to the side and at my feet but will just stare down the person and make a constant low growling warning.

Akitas, Huskies and Malamutes are INCREDIBLY verbal.  Boo Boo has to "talk" to me for about ten minutes or so when I get home.  I ask her how her day was and she prattles on.  

There have been two times when someone has shown up in the middle of the night at my house.  She made UNGODLY noises like she was going to tear the person limb from limb.  

My boxer, Siouxie, got in on the action but, bless her heart, she got so wound up she pooped herself.      

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#29]
It seems you wife was safe, apparently the guy likes little boys.

Its great when a dog earns its keep.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Landsharks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Dogs usually know dirt when they smell it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#32]
My girlfriend lives in a 'gentrifying' neighborhood in Philadelphia; meaning it is ghetto that will be nice in 5 years.  There have been numerous times walking my Jindo (Korean dog, ~45 lbs, apparently they use them as security at military bases there) where she has started growing in random directions...and sometimes we see people back down alleyways who almost always turn tail once they see her.  My girlfriends neighbors got their house robbed about a year ago; one of the reasons the police told them they were probably picked instead of my GF was because of the little foxy face frequently seen poking out through the window.  

We (my Jindo and I) were walking one day when a Pit mix came up and attacked us; Sadie wouldn't get out of between the other dog and I for me to give it a swift kick.

I think she knows I saved her life by taking her from the shelter, and would do anything for me; I would likewise do anything for her.  Heck, she eats better quality food than I do usually as well...

Pic of her enjoying my couch:
http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/5625/2008331110072293250S600x600Q85.jpg

And sleeping:
http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/35891/2202061130072293250S600x600Q85.jpg
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/reddot223/yfy.jpg

That is a great picture! And don't feel too bad, my daughter's GSD hides under the bed during thunder storms.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dogs and man have an intrinsic bond developed over thousands of years. That's a gift that should never be ignored. They protect us, we protect them. It's a shame some people don't respect that.

Yup. I believe that dogs (and animals) are God's gift to us to help us in their respective ways. A dog is a loving companion who only wants to be loved (and fed!). They live to be a member of our pack. Anyone who abuses/neglects them is lower than low.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good looking dog you have there.

I used to have a 1/2 akita - 1/2 chow. She was one of the best dogs I've ever owned.

I'm guessing you know the story about the akita that stayed by his masters grave for years after he died? (someplace in asia?)

Gene

Yeah, it was in Japan. And he went to the train station for lik 10 years afterwards. They erected a statue of the dog at that station. I forgot the dog's name, but it's supposed to be coming-out in a movie at some point starring Richard Gere (yay... not). Will have to keep my eyes open.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#36]
awesome, glad she had the dog with her
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Great dog pics and stories guys. Keep 'em coming! Though I'm partial to the northern spitz breeds (akitas, shibas, huskies, malamutes, poms, etc)... I pretty much love all breeds.

I'd like to have one or two of each!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
awesome, glad she had the dog with her

Well... as a poster said above I think that she wasn't in much danger cause this POS seems to prefer helpless children to prey on. But it certainly shows that dogs know something's wrong when we don't always see it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#39]
A dog is absolutely just an animal and a piece of property.

Just because you feeeeeeeel like it's more than that doesn't make it so in the eyes of the law or in reality.

You're just delusional.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine did.

I'm used to Labs.  Mine always got the last bite of whatever I was eating.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just because you feeeeeeeel like it's more than that doesn't make it so in the eyes of the law or in reality.

You're just delusional.
And you're shitting in a perfectly good thread. Even my dog knows where to shit and where not to.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#42]
That is one ugly mofo, know wonder the dog was upset.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You're just delusional.

Go troll somewhere else
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're just delusional.

There ya go dood... just proving what douche you are (and everyone already knew anyways).

Yup... my dog would NOT like you.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Talk about creepy.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Akitas are truly exceptional dogs. They're second only to Rottweilers, for my uses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Yep. Some dogs have a sixth sense about things that will never be understood.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#48]
We had a boxer when I was growing up.   He was a house dog, very rarely barked or even got excited until one night he started cutting up, barking and pawing at the door.  Mom, thinking he just needed to go out, opened the door but Ty just stood there barking up a fit.  Finally we smelled it.  The building next to our house was on fire.  It wasn't  long before we saw the flames.  There is no doubt in my mind if it wasn't for that dog, we would have slept through it and probably lost the house if not our lives.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Wanna talk creepy? About 20 years ago, I worked as a receptionist at a manufacturer. Guy came in looking for a job and my hair on the back of my neck stood up. He sat mere feet away from me filling out the application, trying to chat me up. He made my skin crawl.

Later I saw him again...on the evening news: he'd kidnapped and killed 2 boys.

Just googled: Here's a link to the old story:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/12/31/us/neighbor-is-held-in-deaths-of-2-rhode-island-boys.html?pagewanted=1

Some people have that vibe...and sometimes when we miss it...our pets pick up on it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're just delusional.

Dog hater strikes again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top