Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/2/2015 5:21:04 PM EDT
http://www.autonews.com/article/20151102/OEM/311029965?template=mobile

Now, one year after the Colorado and sibling GMC Canyon hit U.S. showrooms, Reuss has 95,000 more reasons to smile.

That's how many of the pickups GM was estimated to have sold this year through October, surpassing experts' full-year sales estimates in just 10 months. (IHS Automotive had pegged 81,000 for all of 2015.) They're getting snapped up nearly as fast as they arrive, with virtually no incentives. And customers tilt younger, more highly educated and more urban than Chevy's other pickup buyers.

So far, Reuss and other GM execs are entitled to a collective "told ya so" on one of the industry's most closely watched gambits in recent years.

Skeptics wondered why GM thought consumers would want a smaller pickup. After all, customers had been voting with their wallets for more than a decade (the market for smaller pickups has shrunk by nearly 80 percent since 2000).

The success of the Colorado and Canyon suggests buyers simply weren't being given enough compelling reasons before to consider a smaller pickup. Chevy reconfigured the Colorado as a feature-packed lifestyle vehicle for surfers and cyclists, with wireless connectivity and an Apple CarPlay infotainment interface. The Canyon was given the same goodies but with a brawnier look to appeal to more traditional pickup buyers.

I've outgrown small pickups at this point in my life, but I'm glad to see an American automaker offering a competitive option. Some day, when I sell my business and the kids are grown, I may downsize back to a compact 4x4 pickup. This looks like it'd be a fun one.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
im actually looking at smaller pick ups myself, so yeah, they arent far off.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Toyota owns the smaller pickup market.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the small truck Toyota owners I know are wanting to jump ship to the Colorado and Canyon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toyota did owns the smaller pickup market.
View Quote

Times are changing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most of the small truck Toyota owners I know are wanting to jump ship to the Colorado and Canyon.
View Quote

why do they want to jump ship?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have to be on the trend.  Stickers brah!

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]

It's really not a "told ya so" moment for truck. More to show that, given similar equipment, many "crossover" and even car buyers will run with a pickup instead.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the Frontier and the Tacoma have had the same design since 2005. So it's easy to see why an all-new design would get attention.
However, once Toyota and Nissan come out with their new models there will be little reason to go with the Chevy other than "American Pride".  Even though both of the "Japanese" trucks will be built in the USA by american workers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]
They'll keep doing well as long as the quality is as good as the bigger trucks.

Keeping my eye on that.  

I saw a blurb on Jeep maybe putting out a Jeep pickup. Small bed and no back seat but looks cool.

TC
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diesel option is the biggest reason I think
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
could it be that these small trucks are the same size as the full size of yesteryear?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same
The GM doesn't interest me, The Toyota is better..still not feeling it..so I'm left with the Nissan....unless Ford starts selling those "Mini-Raptors".
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They'll keep doing well as long as the quality is as good as the bigger trucks.

Keeping my eye on that.  

I saw a blurb on Jeep maybe putting out a Jeep pickup. Small bed and no back seat but looks cool.

TC
View Quote

They mention the Wrangler pickup at the end of the article, and say that Ford is finally thinking about bringing the Ranger back to the US.

Those post-2012 Rangers look like some damn good little trucks! And I assume Ford's already got all the bugs worked out, using international customers as guinea pigs.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I still don't understand why a person would buy a Colorado/Canyon for more than a full sized truck. It'd be one thing if you could get one for somewhere in the low 20's, but then again I got my 4x4 Ram for 24k. Anyone who pays 30k+ for a mid sized truck isn't shopping around.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
could it be that these small trucks are the same size as the full size of yesteryear?
View Quote

In terms of sheet metal, yeah, but not so much in terms of payload, hauling, etc. Or in terms of the beds.

Those little 4' beds are probably the biggest deal-breaker for me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Come on, GMC....small 4x4 with a diesel. I dare ya.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I still don't understand why a person would buy a Colorado/Canyon for more than a full sized truck. It'd be one thing if you could get one for somewhere in the low 20's, but then again I got my 4x4 Ram for 24k. Anyone who pays 30k+ for a mid sized truck isn't shopping around.
View Quote

In all fairness you are comparing Dodge, to Ford and Chevy. The Cummins is the only reason Dodge is competitive right now. The build quality on a Ford and Chevy truck is so much better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
All the so called small pickups are the size of fullsized trucks a decade or so ago.  I don't get it.  I owned a 79 Ford Courier.  That was a small truck!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Not surprising since the Ranger, Explorer Sport Trac, and Dakota are gone.

ETA- Ridgeline is gone too.  So basically, the field has been cut in half compared to what was available five years ago.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In terms of sheet metal, yeah, but not so much in terms of payload, hauling, etc. Or in terms of the beds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canyon/Colorado beds come in two sizes.

61.2" & 74.4"
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Why would anyone buy a first year redesign?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Decades worth of rep doesn't evaporate in two years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand it. Smaller trucks that cost nearly the same and have marginally better gas mileage. Unless you live in a very big city where size is an issue,  it doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tacoma is no longer a small truck, it's practically the same size as the old Tundra.  People like me want a small truck, not a large or medium.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not surprising since the Ranger, Explorer Sport Trac, and Dakota are gone.

ETA- Ridgeline is gone too.  So basically, the field has been cut in half compared to what was available five years ago.
View Quote

The funny thing is, (okay, not "ha-ha" funny) the dimensions of these new GMC and Chevy trucks are almost identical to my Dakota... and my truck is 12 years old.

I don't know if I'll replace it with another truck either. I like trucks but I like the more and more-usable interior space of an SUV.

But, if anything this proves that a redesign was long overdue for the Canyon and Colorado, and the market is proving that out. Plus I'd guess people who don't have room for a full size, or don't want something that large, would be interested in this.

That said, my brother in law's F150 is only a couple years old and despite being much larger and having two turbos on it, monkey stomps my much smaller Dakota for fuel mileage - I hope Chevy and GMC worked on that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Now, one year after the Colorado and sibling GMC Canyon hit U.S. showrooms, Reuss has 95,000 more reasons to smile.

That's how many of the pickups GM was estimated to have sold this year through October, surpassing experts' full-year sales estimates in just 10 months. (IHS Automotive had pegged 81,000 for all of 2015.) They're getting snapped up nearly as fast as they arrive, with virtually no incentives. And customers tilt younger, more highly educated and more urban than Chevy's other pickup buyers.

So far, Reuss and other GM execs are entitled to a collective "told ya so" on one of the industry's most closely watched gambits in recent years.

Skeptics wondered why GM thought consumers would want a smaller pickup. After all, customers had been voting with their wallets for more than a decade (the market for smaller pickups has shrunk by nearly 80 percent since 2000).

The success of the Colorado and Canyon suggests buyers simply weren't being given enough compelling reasons before to consider a smaller pickup. Chevy reconfigured the Colorado as a feature-packed lifestyle vehicle for surfers and cyclists, with wireless connectivity and an Apple CarPlay infotainment interface. The Canyon was given the same goodies but with a brawnier look to appeal to more traditional pickup buyers.

I've outgrown small pickups at this point in my life, but I'm glad to see an American automaker offering a competitive option. Some day, when I sell my business and the kids are grown, I may downsize back to a compact 4x4 pickup. This looks like it'd be a fun one.

View Quote

The only reason I own a large pickup is for towing. If I didn't tow a 4500lbs boat I'd have a small pickup again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All the so called small pickups are the size of fullsized trucks a decade or so ago.  I don't get it.  I owned a 79 Ford Courier.  That was a small truck!
View Quote

Some people don't want or need a full sized (ie huge) truck.

I want a 4 door vehicle with a bed for occasional use.  

A full sized truck is too large to fit in my garage.  It is more also expensive and gets worse gas mileage.
I've had a 2004 Colorado ZQ8 Crew Cab for the last 11 years and 177k+ miles.  Time for a new truck.

My son has a 2006 Colorado extended cab with almost 200K miles.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I loved my Ranger.  I wish they would have kept making them and provided a much-needed update - I'd probably be driving one today.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tacomas are ghey
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why would anyone buy a first year redesign?
View Quote

I did on my 2004 but waited until the second year (2016) for the new Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Times are changing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota did owns the smaller pickup market.

Times are changing.

I've wanted a Tacoma since HS. Actually promised my self it'll be the first thing I buy when I'm out of Law School. Since I do come from a family that only buys GMC/Chevy though, the Colorado has really piqued my interest.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A full sized truck is too large to fit in my garage.  It is more also expensive and gets worse gas mileage.
I've had a 2004 Colorado ZQ8 Crew Cab for the last 11 years and 177k+ miles.  Time for a new truck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly why I got the Dakota: I needed to haul stuff periodically, and I wanted a 4x4. But I didn't want to drop full size truck dough. Also at the time, the mileage on the full sizes was bad.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Digging my GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain.  It's a good little truck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I seen one yesterday at the gas station and it wasn't that much smaller than a full size truck.
Def biggger than tacomas and frontiers. For the price, I would rather have a full size with a full
crew cab.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Tacoma is no longer a small truck, it's practically the same size as the old Tundra.  People like me want a small truck, not a large or medium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather get a pre-05 Tacoma and have it rebuilt to like new by a guy with a decade plus experience with everything that can go bad on them.  I'd do that long before I bought a new Government Motors, and my bet is I'd spend less money and get more truck for it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm ... You can order one now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 2013 Tacoma almost annoys me. Multiple stupid little things. The damn 12v socket not having constant power REALLY pisses me off.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The only reason I own a large pickup is for towing. If I didn't tow a 4500lbs boat I'd have a small pickup again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both will handle your 4,500 pound boat.  7,000 pound towing capacity with the tow package.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new Canyon/Colorado are rated at 7500 lb towing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Already happened bro.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'd rather get a pre-05 Tacoma and have it rebuilt to like new by a guy with a decade plus experience with everything that can go bad on them.  I'd do that long before I bought a new Government Motors, and my bet is I'd spend less money and get more truck for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why in the living hell would you do that?
What a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

you gonna get RAPED.

The Toyota kool-aid is deep here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My 2013 Tacoma almost annoys me. Multiple stupid little things. The damn 12v socket not having constant power REALLY pisses me off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya. I had a 2004 2002 Taco that rusted itself apart and was overall a dog. I don't get GD's fascination with that vehicle.  Never again.

ETA: Wrong year. It was a 2002. the Tundra I had was a 2004 and was equally a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well the Frontier and the Tacoma have had the same design since 2005. So it's easy to see why an all-new design would get attention.
However, once Toyota and Nissan come out with their new models there will be little reason to go with the Chevy other than "American Pride".  Even though both of the "Japanese" trucks will be built in the USA by american workers.
View Quote

Tacoma's third gen premieres with the 2016 model and Nissan revamped their foreign version of the Frontier last year so I wouldn't be surprised if the North American version follows suit with the 2017 model.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GMC isn't smaller than the Tacoma.

The Tacoma, like just about everything else Toyota makes these days, is very conservative to to point of being dated the day it goes on sale.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tacoma's third gen premieres with the 2016 model and Nissan revamped their foreign version of the Frontier last year so I wouldn't be surprised if the North American version follows suit with the 2017 model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2016 model with maybe 2010 tech.
Why you guys keep rewarding Toyota for building todays truck with last gen parts/tech is beyond me.
How unreliable do you think american trucks are, did one personally let you down that hard?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Toyota 3rd Gen is considered to be more of a reskin/update than a whole new Generation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those small Tacoma's are awesome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top