Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear ya. I had a 2004 2002 Taco that rusted itself apart and was overall a dog. I don't get GD's fascination with that vehicle.  Never again.

ETA: Wrong year. It was a 2002. the Tundra I had was a 2004 and was equally a piece of shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the small truck Toyota owners I know are wanting to jump ship to the Colorado and Canyon.

My 2013 Tacoma almost annoys me. Multiple stupid little things. The damn 12v socket not having constant power REALLY pisses me off.

I hear ya. I had a 2004 2002 Taco that rusted itself apart and was overall a dog. I don't get GD's fascination with that vehicle.  Never again.

ETA: Wrong year. It was a 2002. the Tundra I had was a 2004 and was equally a piece of shit.

Work gave me a taco.  I'd rather mm 250 van back,  but they replaced those with the tiny whatever the fuck transit vans now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

why do they want to jump ship?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the small truck Toyota owners I know are wanting to jump ship to the Colorado and Canyon.

why do they want to jump ship?

Dude when you can sell your 10 year old taco for the same price of a new canyon, why not?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

2016 model with maybe 2010 tech.
Why you guys keep rewarding Toyota for building todays truck with last gen parts/tech is beyond me.
How unreliable do you think american trucks are, did one personally let you down that hard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well the Frontier and the Tacoma have had the same design since 2005. So it's easy to see why an all-new design would get attention.
However, once Toyota and Nissan come out with their new models there will be little reason to go with the Chevy other than "American Pride".  Even though both of the "Japanese" trucks will be built in the USA by american workers.

Tacoma's third gen premieres with the 2016 model and Nissan revamped their foreign version of the Frontier last year so I wouldn't be surprised if the North American version follows suit with the 2017 model.

Why you guys keep rewarding Toyota for building todays truck with last gen parts/tech is beyond me.
How unreliable do you think american trucks are, did one personally let you down that hard?

Between a Ram that went through three transmissions for no apparent reason and a Silverado that rusted out and fell apart piece by piece, I'm pretty satisfied with my 7 yr. old Tacoma with zero problems thus far.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I downsized from an F150 to a Frontier this spring. Strictly because of the F150 cost.  I'm VERY happy with the truck, esp it's 4x4 performance.

I'm thinking of picking up an Exterra to replace the wife's Escape. Since this is the last model year the prices should be good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tacoma's third gen premieres with the 2016 model and Nissan revamped their foreign version of the Frontier last year so I wouldn't be surprised if the North American version follows suit with the 2017 model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well the Frontier and the Tacoma have had the same design since 2005. So it's easy to see why an all-new design would get attention.
However, once Toyota and Nissan come out with their new models there will be little reason to go with the Chevy other than "American Pride".  Even though both of the "Japanese" trucks will be built in the USA by american workers.

The current Frontier is an antique and should have been replaced 3-4 years ago.
Styling wise, the exterior and especially the interior of the Nissan is 15-20 years old.
The 1995 new car expo called, they want their show truck back.

The only nice thing I can say about the Nissan is that they offer manual transmissions on all of their models and like all Nissans, it shifts really nice.
Chevy/GMC only has a manual on the anemic base 4cly truck with no options and Toyota only lets you get it on the high end MSRP trucks with tons of fluff.
Nothing but fag-o-matics in the middle MSRP that most people actually buy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Between a Ram that went through three transmissions for no apparent reason and a Silverado that rusted out and fell apart piece by piece, I'm pretty satisfied with my 7 yr. old Tacoma with zero problems thus far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you lived the same environment but the chevy rusted out while the tacoma didnt?
Ive owned 2 chevy trucks/suv's over thr last 10 years and they've been solid.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd love to have a Tundra the size they used to be.   The current ones are too fookin big.  

The old T100 I have has been the best vehicle, by far, that I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Ford killed the Ranger, helped them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If Ford brings that Ranger they've been sniffing around, they'll have a solid  foothold as well I'd guess.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151102/OEM/311029965?template=mobile

Now, one year after the Colorado and sibling GMC Canyon hit U.S. showrooms, Reuss has 95,000 more reasons to smile.

That's how many of the pickups GM was estimated to have sold this year through October, surpassing experts' full-year sales estimates in just 10 months. (IHS Automotive had pegged 81,000 for all of 2015.) They're getting snapped up nearly as fast as they arrive, with virtually no incentives. And customers tilt younger, more highly educated and more urban than Chevy's other pickup buyers.

So far, Reuss and other GM execs are entitled to a collective "told ya so" on one of the industry's most closely watched gambits in recent years.

Skeptics wondered why GM thought consumers would want a smaller pickup. After all, customers had been voting with their wallets for more than a decade (the market for smaller pickups has shrunk by nearly 80 percent since 2000).

The success of the Colorado and Canyon suggests buyers simply weren't being given enough compelling reasons before to consider a smaller pickup. Chevy reconfigured the Colorado as a feature-packed lifestyle vehicle for surfers and cyclists, with wireless connectivity and an Apple CarPlay infotainment interface. The Canyon was given the same goodies but with a brawnier look to appeal to more traditional pickup buyers.

I've outgrown small pickups at this point in my life, but I'm glad to see an American automaker offering a competitive option. Some day, when I sell my business and the kids are grown, I may downsize back to a compact 4x4 pickup. This looks like it'd be a fun one.

View Quote

I tried to get into a colorado about two weeks ago and I didn't last very long in my attempt. I'm a big man. I weigh around 250 pounds (give or take a bit) and I'm 6'3" tall and I felt like a was a sardine that had been stuffed inside a tin can when I briefly sat down in the colorado. I took me all of about 3 seconds to figure out that a small truck just wasn't going to work for me. Now, the Chevy and GMC 1500's and 2500's, on the other hand....well, that's a different story. Ditto for the ford 150's and 250's, as well. If I was buying today, I would probably opt for a ford f150 ecoboost crewcab 4x4. As for the canyon's and colorado's...well, the little guys can have them all they want.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
My only complaint with the Colorado and Canyon (and for that matter, the 2016 Tacoma) is they're too fuckin' big. Park one beside a full-size 1/2 ton and you'll see they're only about 7/8 the size of the big one. Or in other words, about the size the full-size PU's were only a little while back.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My only complaint with the Colorado and Canyon (and for that matter, the 2016 Tacoma) is they're too fuckin' big. Park one beside a full-size 1/2 ton and you'll see they're only about 7/8 the size of the big one. Or in other words, about the size the full-size PU's were only a little while back.

View Quote

If the colorados and canyons are to big then I must be a modern day giant.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why in the living hell would you do that?
What a waste of time and money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather get a pre-05 Tacoma and have it rebuilt to like new by a guy with a decade plus experience with everything that can go bad on them.  I'd do that long before I bought a new Government Motors, and my bet is I'd spend less money and get more truck for it.

That vintage tacoma was about the perfect truck for my needs.  I'll tell ya, the Colorado doesn't look bad.  On paper it'd be a contender too.  There's just this whole "fuck GM" thing.  There's also rather a history of them making shit that sucks.  Decades of it.  They made garbage back when they were in much better shape than they're in now.  It's possible that they're the deal of the decade but I'm just not seeing great odds on it.

If you're a guy that'd buy absolutely anything with tires and "SHO" in it's name you and I don't approach automobile purchases in anything like the same way though.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
When a regular truck goes for $40k, no fucking shit they sell a cheaper one Too bad they don't get much better mileage than a full size. Toyota has known this for 40 yrs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Already happened bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on, GMC....small 4x4 with a diesel. I dare ya.

Already happened bro.
I was meaning the 6.6 Duramax. I've got no use for a 2.4 liter Duramax. I want to tow more than 1500 lbs.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#18]
But, can you properly mount an M2 in the bed?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That vintage tacoma was about the perfect truck for my needs.  I'll tell ya, the Colorado doesn't look bad.  On paper it'd be a contender too.  There's just this whole "fuck GM" thing.  There's also rather a history of them making shit that sucks.  Decades of it.  They made garbage back when they were in much better shape than they're in now.  It's possible that they're the deal of the decade but I'm just not seeing great odds on it.

If you're a guy that'd buy absolutely anything with tires and "SHO" in it's name you and I don't approach automobile purchases in anything like the same way though.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather get a pre-05 Tacoma and have it rebuilt to like new by a guy with a decade plus experience with everything that can go bad on them.  I'd do that long before I bought a new Government Motors, and my bet is I'd spend less money and get more truck for it.

I have a habit of buying CARS (not trucks) based off their engines first, everything else second.
The yamaha 3.0 V6 SHO engine was amazing when I owned it years ago.

I did the same thing on my current ride and ended up buying a twin turbo direct injection I6 BMW cause I love the engine so much.

I currently have a 2001 Tahoe and a 2013 silveraydo and both have been solid, sent the Tahoe off with my daughter when she went to college. GM makes some pretty well rounded full-size trucks/SUVs as been my experience.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Properly, or technically?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm probably a giant pussy for saying this, but I hate driving my ram 1500 quad cab in town. It's a bitch to park, parking lots are narrow, it just feels like I'm driving a fucking bus. I'd much rather be in my little jeep or mustang if I'm in town. For a long highway jaunt, hunting trips, family trips etc I love the truck....but it sucks for town. My 97 ranger was the best for light duty hauling and in-town convenience.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Properly, or technically?
View Quote

Go bigger?   ZU-23-2.

But there's something to be said about going alittle smaller and having the extra room to bring your freinds along to the party.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#23]
My 1993 Ranger died a few months ago and I ended up replacing it with a 2015 Tacoma. I am pretty happy with the Tacoma so far but it's too big and doesn't do that well on gas. If there was anything smaller (like my old ranger) on the market I would have bought that instead. I just need a beater truck for bad weather and occasional small loads. If it's nice out I'll drive my Miata or ride my Bonneville. If I need to move something big I'll get the deuce.

I realize my situation is not typical.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Toyota owns the smaller pickup market.
View Quote

Looking at the *real* numbers, and the real data... Looks like Toyota is facing some competition in the market...

Good.

Competition is *good* for consumers... And healthy for the market.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait until the problems start. Popcorn is ready.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Diesels?

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I actually got a chance to look over a Colorado in a parking lot this past Friday.
It looked pretty streamlined and actually kind of large.
When I went to the rear too me the bed looked quite narrow.
It might have been an optical illusion as I have no idea of the dimensions of those trucks stacked up against my Frontier or a Tacoma.
Hope it works out for GM.
And contrary what a lot of full size truck owners think many of us prefer the more compact trucks.
I sure do after owning three full size trucks in the past living in Houston.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

Understand that in 2015 Toyota no longer offered the single cab truck.
I would not be surprised if that was a good part of the reason for the decline.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I actually got a chance to look over a Colorado in a parking lot this past Friday.
It looked pretty streamlined and actually kind of large.
When I went to the rear too me the bed looked quite narrow.
It might have been an optical illusion as I have no idea of the dimensions of those trucks stacked up against my Frontier or a Tacoma.
Hope it works out for GM.
And contrary what a lot of full size truck owners think many of us prefer the more compact trucks.
I sure do after owning three full size trucks in the past living in Houston.
View Quote

I've seen and parked my truck next to both deliberately for a size comparison. My truck is a 2003 Dakota quad cab, and the quad cab Colorado and Canyon are super close in size. Perfect midsize truck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Single cab is not available on Colorado/Canyon anymore either.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the reviews I've read,   GM brought "road manners" to the new compacts.   I've driven my share of late model Rangers and Tacoma.   They really suck to drive for taller guys like me.   Ride like shit,  handle like shit,  noisy.   The Ridgeline was the only refined compact truck (If you could call it that)
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I prefer smaller pickups, and have owned many.

I'd love to be able to buy a TRULY smaller pickup (ala the mid-90's Toyo's and Hardbodies).
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Eventually I am going to dump my Dodge Ram and get a smaller truck
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, but no thanks, I will keep my Tacoma.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I prefer smaller pickups, and have owned many.

I'd love to be able to buy a TRULY smaller pickup (ala the mid-90's Toyo's and Hardbodies).
View Quote

Agreed on size.

We had two S10 Pickups and two S10 Blazers over the years.  Three of them had over 200K when we sold them.  The fourth had well over 100K when I sold it to get the 2004 Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I miss my 03 Sonoma....
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My point being that huge numbers of commercial business owners bought those single cabs for daily use.
And that probably is one of the reasons for the numbers decline.
They most likely preferred the single cab Tacoma's for price,resell,and reliability.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point being that huge numbers of commercial business owners bought those single cabs for daily use.
They most likely preferred the single cab Tacoma's for price,resell,and reliability.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

could it be that these small trucks are the same size as the full size of yesteryear?
View Quote
almost identical dimensions and weight to a 1990 Chevy K1500

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't disagreeing with you .  I was just pointing out that it appears to be the new norm.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
could it be that these small trucks are the same size as the full size of yesteryear?

Yep.  Another new norm.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#43]
They need to bring this back too...

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#44]
See Above...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Bring back the S10 an Ranger. Keep them cheap an they will fly off the lots. I had a 2.8 S10 with the long bed. You couldn't kill it. It out lasted my 1/2 ton toy with the 22R. The toyota frame rusted out an broke under the cab. Sold her for parts an the 22R is still going. The S10 was killed by a Mack I really miss that truck.

My current truck is a 2003 2500HD an a 1986 F350 dully. Sometimes you just don't need a big truck but I can't put 1,000 of feed in the car or ten bales of hay.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#46]
According to the latest Consumer Reports the the Colorado and Canyon are the least reliable pickups, only the Ram 2500 scores worse.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Loving my 2016 Tacoma, downsized from Ram 1500. I like that there is more competition in the mid-size category, but Tacoma still owns the market.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bring back the S10 and Ranger. Keep them cheap and they will fly off the lots.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Loving my 2016 Tacoma, downsized from Ram 1500. I like that there is more competition in the mid-size category, but Tacoma still owns the market.

<a href="http://s328.photobucket.com/user/duffnut24/media/20151023_173836_zps7damc9ps.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l324/duffnut24/20151023_173836_zps7damc9ps.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice looking Taco
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense but that's all in your head. If my dad and uncle (6'2" and 6'4 both about 300 lbs) can fit in a civic or focus(together) without a problem then you're not too big for a new canyon. Both of them have been in my last gen canyon and while its not roomy they had no issues. With that said they prefer roomier vehicles but vehicles are designed to fit even the largest people.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top