Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2006 5:35:01 AM EDT
My neighbor.  I took the picture, since he took the shot

195 lbs, taken with his wife's 7mm .08 @ 120 yards
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
How'd you guys get that buck to sit still?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking buck
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice, pretty good shot also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice, pretty good shot also.

120 yards is impressive to me
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice buck.

Congrats

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice ...And with a black gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice buck!

And one sweet shot too. Great job guys. Enjoy your "speed beef".
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice ...And with a black gun.

Looks like a Remington Model Seven
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
120 yards is impressive?  Was the deer running?  Because if not, that is hardly a difficult shot.

And I cannot, for the life of me, understand why hunters keep putting Hubble telescopes on top of their rifles.

Other than that, yes, that's a nice deer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
120 yards is impressive?  Was the deer running?  Because if not, that is hardly a difficult shot.

And I cannot, for the life of me, understand why hunters keep putting Hubble telescopes on top of their rifles.

yes, impressive to me due to the distance, the fact that it is a brand new rifle (he wasn't using his 'old faithful' because he had loaned it to me), and because the deer was moving.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Bad pic!  You have to get the tounge hanging out to one side.

But really.

Nice buck!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So what you think  you can do better.

Why Piss on his Deer?

Nice Deer.
YUMMY venison.

Did you eat the heart?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did you eat the heart?

But I did stay up late building my Christmas gift in preparation

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A lot of guy's get nervous. It takes years to become like me.......

I have a 6.5 X 20 Ziess on my .25-06. I use the high power so I can estimate the size of the antlers better. 10X bino's aren't enough and a spotting scope is difficult to get on a moving target. Not to mention add a rangefinder, video camera and you start hauling a lot of gear to the stand. Put a high magnification scope on and it's one less thing to haul.

Nice buck, Beatle Bailey.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you eat the heart?

But I did stay up late building my Christmas gift in preparation

images.lowes.com/product/060197/060197002126.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg

The heart is YUMMY!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what you think  you can do better.

Why Piss on his Deer?

Nice Deer.
YUMMY venison.

Did you eat the heart?

Did I piss on his deer?  First, it isn't his. It's his neighbor.  Second, I do recall stating that it IS a nice deer.

And no, 100 yard shooting doesn't impress me, unless the animal is moving at something faster than a slow walk.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess anyone who doesn't do things exactly like some people means they are doing it "wrong."  

Standard fare...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ALL hunting shots can be difficult due to the unpredictability of game and excitement of the hunter.  I have killed deer from 35 yds to almost 400yds and something can always go wrong, even with "easy" shots.  The only  easy shot is the deer you killed last week.

Nice deer.

BTW, I think the Butler Creek flip up caps make the scope seem bigger than it is.  Looks like a Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40mm scope to me.

For the record.

Hubble

vs Zeiss

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...we are all suitably impressed with your skill and prowess...

Hey, NOW would be a good time to post that pic of the buck your brother took with his bow at some insane distance a couple years ago.....

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That isn't a scope! Heck I have scopes that big on my pellet guns!

On my high powered rifles they are bigger than that!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How'd you guys get that buck to sit still?

They administered a pill.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice Buck,
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Damnit!  I can't wait to deer hunt in a t shirt!!!  I might acctually be able to sit still if i ain't freezing my butt off!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

SWO_daddy,
120 yards in one kind of terrain is like 600 someplace else.  In some of the places I hunt you wouldn't be able to take a 120 yard shot with a 50 BMG.  

If you haven't used a hubble telescope to hunt with then don't knock it.  Someone else might not, for the life of them, understand why you have any scope at all, because all they ever needed was iron sights on the old' thuddy-thuddy.

And you're right, it is a nice deer.  The Deer-management Nazis might go nuts and acclaim he should have let that one grow one more year, but I would have shot him too.  Everything is relative.  Here in NC, harvesting a 195 lb deer is impressive, in Saskatchewan you'll the laughing stock of the hunting camp.

Quoted:
Damnit!  I can't wait to deer hunt in a t shirt!!!  I might acctually be able to sit still if i ain't freezing my butt off!

One of the first things you gotta have is the right gear.  I'm not going to claim to be the gear guru, but as I've acquired more and better gear, I find that I spend more time in the stand.  It was in the 20's one morning and I was on a ladder stand (not a blind) and I fell asleep.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you haven't used a hubble telescope to hunt with then don't knock it.  Someone else might not, for the life of them, understand why you have any scope at all, because all they ever needed was iron sights on the old' thuddy-thuddy.

A hunting friend used to claim the same thing...

He swore that it was the biggest waste of money to have a scope on a deer rifle.

Two years ago, during blackpowder season, he begged me to bring one of my cheap "backup" scopes and some rings with me so he could outfit his smoke pole with it.

Apparently, some time during the year his eyes took a turn south on him.

I set a cheap Tasco World Class 3x9 on his BP rifle and he still uses it -- which amuses me to no end.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I set a cheap Tasco World Class 3x9 on his BP rifle and he still uses it -- which amuses me to no end.

It amazes me also that it lasted more than one season!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#32]
BeetleBailey: How much edibable meat can you get from 195lb deer?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Typically it is 38%-45% in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the record.

Hubble

www.ncusd203.org/north/depts/science/slack/HUBBLE%20TELESCOPE.JPG

vs Zeiss
www.hotbuyselectronics.com/images/zeiss_conquest_39x40_mc.jpg

Hubble cost LESS!!

The Zeiss didn't need a contact lens either
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I guess we'll find out when the butcher calls in a few days :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
 The Deer-management Nazis might go nuts and acclaim he should have let that one grow one more year, but I would have shot him too.  Everything is relative.  

Ya know....I'm not a Nazi(he needed 2 or 3 more years minimum).....but I would not have shot that deer. Honestly that deer had serious potential. It was a very young buck with good mass.

But it is relative. I am looking for mature bucks when I hunt......especially with a rifle.

At the same time I never knock anyone whether I would take the shot or not. For me it is personal.

I passed on 4 120+ bucks this year. You can't kill a 140 if you shoot a 120. I killed 2 does with my bow this year(both within the last week) and zero bucks........so what. I'm am sure it won't be the last year I fail to harvest a buck.

There is also the FACT if you kill them when they are young they will NEVER be mature.

Still if BB's neighbor is happy with that deer it is no one else's business.

I guess my rambling has to do with the fact that managing for trophy deer is a good and proper practice, not nazism(is that a word?).

I hope that deer is a trophy to BB's neighbor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I hope that deer is a trophy to BB's neighbor.

He was like a kid in a candy store.  I don't think I'd ever seen a grown man that excited, even though he'd taken bigger deer before.  Here in AL, from what I understand, the deer don't get real big.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
 He was like a kid in a candy store.

That's what it is all about.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#39]
YOU BROKE THE DEER!    

j/k, nice buck, works for me!
What time is dinner?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
YOU BROKE THE DEER!    

j/k, nice buck, works for me!
What time is dinner?

Well, this does call for a dinner pic, doesn't it?  

Tune in this evening for some goodness
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
There is also the FACT if you kill them when they are young they will NEVER be mature.

On one of the farms I hunt, the hunting camp rules are simple:

If you harvest a deer that dresses at less than 90lbs, you owe the camp one bottle of whiskey and one case of beer.

Just so you know, 110-120lbs dressed is about the average size around that "farm" area in the mountains of Virginia -- so 90lbs would be REALLY small.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you harvest a deer that dresses at less than 90lbs, you owe the camp one bottle of whiskey and one case of beer.

Just so you know, 110-120lbs dressed is about the average size around that "farm" area in the mountains of Virginia -- so 90lbs would be REALLY small.

Our camp rules are simple as well.

If  kill a buck, it goes on your wall or  you pay the equivilent in taxidermy  fees to the club.  

$400 or so for a 110 class buck makes you look real hard before pulling the trigger.  

The exceptions are the first buck in your life and your  first  buck with  bow.

Kill all the doe you want and need for meat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice looking deer.

Around here a 195# deer is big.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess anyone who doesn't do things exactly like some people means they are doing it "wrong."  

Just wait until I start killing them with a pointy stick--I'm going to REALLY tell everyone else they are doing it wrong.  "I just cannot, for the life of me, understand why hunters keep using bang sticks to kill deer--a pointy stick works just fine."  So there.  

all youse guys are pussies. my 80 year old granny RUNS down deer and snaps their kneck like a chicken. hunting with any weapons is for city folk.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't really go by weight as much as antler measurements.

One of my leases has a 16in wide minimum and a $100 fine if you break that.
I think that an inside measurement is stupid(it is the only measurement that isn't antler but instead air)

Just for comparison, I estimate that buck to be about an 85in buck....hard to tell for sure with a photo
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice looking buck, but nicer looking rifle
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice deer, Beetle.

Remember.....once you pull the trigger, the fun is over.

(I love to eat 'em, but I sure hate to clean 'em. )
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#48]
nice buck,  I still havn't been out this year but we still have 2 weeks of doe season left in NE
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Our camp rules are simple as well.

If  kill a buck, it goes on your wall or  you pay the equivilent in taxidermy  fees to the club.  

$400 or so for a 110 class buck makes you look real hard before pulling the trigger.  

The exceptions are the first buck in your life and your  first  buck with  bow.

Kill all the doe you want and need for meat.

Now those are rules I LIKE.

I wish everyone had that type of rule........it would damned sure end the "I got to kill a buck, even if it's a spike" mentality.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I dont understand why people think cleaning a deer is so much hard work?  I can have a deer washed, skinned, gutted cut up, ground up and in the freezer in less than 3 hours. Depending on teh wether I may let them hang for a day or 2. first
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top